THE CORRECT WAY TO MONETIZE YOUR LIST
We all have heard of the phrase 'money is in the list' but do you REALLY know how to do it? I have been in the IM world for about 8 years, and have come across a lot of junk techniques that people sell about list building. I even wonder if they really do as what they are telling as I can outright see that those methods are seriously out flawed.
So, READ this carefully.
Have A Plan
First of all, you need a plan. What are you going to offer to your subscribers? At what price it gonna be? How many that you plan to sell? How are you gonna sell it?
Don't build a list first and then you want to think about how you are going to monetize your list. No.
Building Squeeze Page
Keep your squeeze page simple but full of information. Do not overdo the graphics. You can find a well known Internet Marketer (related to your niche) and copy the structure of his/her squeeze page. Do not overhype your words, be honest. The readers can sense if you are bull****ting. I prefer double opt-in because it can help to deter those freebie seekers and keep my list responsive. But you can try to experiment single opt-in and see the CTR rate. Offer the readers of your squeeze page a good product with no strings attached. Get it from PLR sites, and read it. If you find it attractive then you sell it.
Now that you have your squeeze page ready, you need to drive traffic. Get someone (or do it yourself) to write you between 100-200 articles per month. Then get a good article spinner, spin it 3x. So from 100 articles now you have 300 articles. Then submit each of those articles to at least 15 article directories. It will make 300 x 15 = 4500 articles floating online, which mean 4500 back links created for your squeeze page. Repeat this every month. This method works well, but go on and do other methods as well (twitter, facebook, social bookmark, etc).
Aweber recommended. You will start to get sign ups. You need to set-up your auto responder so that it works effectively. Once they signed up, thank them and introduce yourself. No selling yet. Then every 5 days, send them a nice article related to the niche. Do not deviate from your niche. Do this for at least 2 weeks. After that, you need to separate the potential buyers into another different list - use automation rules.
Send the responsive list better articles or even free PLR product every 5 days. In between share a personal story about yourself or anyone else (also must be related to the niche). This is to build personal effect. Get them to interact - ask them questions or opinions and put some of their good comments into your blog. Do not try to sell or put any affiliate links yet.
After let say 3 weeks communicating to your responsive list, share with them how a product had helped you. Get them to read more at your site. There you can put a buy link and give nice bonus to the buyers. Keep sending email to the list every 5 days - always give them good information and in the end of the email say 1 or 2 lines about your product (keep it short). Do this for another 2 weeks.
1. If you notice above, I do not encourage you to sell to your list in the beginning stage. It is equivalent to putting a hot needle in your chair and trying to sit on it without wearing an underwear. First you need to segment out potential buyers from the raw list. Then you must build relationship with them. They are real people, so be genuine. Get personal with them. Show them that you are note just another salesman. Only after you have build enough bond, you should mention about your product in a very soft way. Do not 'force' them. Give good bonuses to your buyers and mention it in your next emails so that the non-buyers will have the urge to buy too.
2. Always remember that in the internet, you are a complete stranger to them. People buy things from people they know or they like. Period.
3. Money is actually not in the list, it's in the relationship that you build. A small but well targeted list sells better than having 1 million but not responsive subscribers.
4. Write decent email titles. Don't put something like "open this and I will make you become the next Michael Jackson".
5. Always stay close to your niche, do not deviate. Keep the pattern same.
6. Reflect your virtue to your subscribers. People can smell bull****tters from miles away so be professional and be honest.
There are far more experienced people in this forum, please feel free to add more. Thank you.