I got my feet wet, Part 2

16 replies
Following on from http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...t-website.html I thought I'd update you and seek some more advice.

Well today i took the plundge and decided to build a site around the "crochet niche" i have lots of material.

set up my domain and hosting,

http://learntocrochetonline.com

no i need to learn more.

what i want is an ebook to be sold on the front home page, this is an ebook of how to get someone to crochet fast an easy. any ideas of a plug in or free service?

then the rest of the site will be free information, articles and patterns.

anyone have any suggestions on themes or plugins? this is literally my first website arrggghhh!
#feet #part #wet
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Kenny
    Originally Posted by I Ask Lots Of Questions View Post

    Following on from http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...t-website.html I thought I'd update you and seek some more advice.

    Well today i took the plundge and decided to build a site around the "crochet niche" i have lots of material.

    set up my domain and hosting,

    Learn To Crochet Online | Just another WordPress site

    no i need to learn more.

    what i want is an ebook to be sold on the front home page, this is an ebook of how to get someone to crochet fast an easy. any ideas of a plug in or free service?

    then the rest of the site will be free information, articles and patterns.

    anyone have any suggestions on themes or plugins? this is literally my first website arrggghhh!

    Seriously you need to find a desperate niche... Something that solves a burning desire. People want solutions to their problems and FAST..

    I think you may struggle with this niche
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329681].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Ross Kenny View Post

      Seriously you need to find a desperate niche... Something that solves a burning desire. People want solutions to their problems and FAST..

      I think you may struggle with this niche
      tbh i just needed to learn and start somewhere,

      over 7 million people search learn to crochet in google monthly.

      hopefully i can do something, i have a ton of material for it free articles and patterns.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329687].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ross Kenny
        Originally Posted by I Ask Lots Of Questions View Post

        tbh i just needed to learn and start somewhere,

        over 7 million people search learn to crochet in google monthly.

        hopefully i can do something, i have a ton of material for it free articles and patterns.
        If you are serious about giving this a try you need to get people that visit your site onto a email list. Go grab an Aweber account... Once on your list you can push your products. I would only offer free stuff 1st to get them on your list and then market to them once on your list.

        Do people in this niche find free patterns online a lot though.... If so they may never buy anything... How many people do you think search for free stuff all over the www everyday... Search volume doesn't really mean anything!!

        Good luck and hope this helps
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329689].message }}
  • aweber is $20 a month, im just starting out is there a cheaper alternative?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ross Kenny
      Originally Posted by I Ask Lots Of Questions View Post

      aweber is $20 a month, im just starting out is there a cheaper alternative?
      This is business and you have to invest.....
      Aweber will be your best purchase ever....

      Ask anyone around here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329725].message }}
  • the plan was for them to buy the guide 1st when they see all the free patterns
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329695].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DanielleD
      My advice...and this is from experience. I started out in a niche I was interested in, and had tons of material for my website because I loved the subject and loved writing about it. I even built up a nice sized email list, because I had so much to say about the topic - but I was so much into sharing my knowledge, I lost my focus on *selling them what they needed* so that I could *make my money*!!

      I had to fine tune along the way, and now I am starting to make money from the site/list. But my plans are to develop all of that great info I was giving away for free just to get visitors to the site into an information product I can *sell* to them.

      If you want to want to make money you really should stick to niches where the searchers are looking to *buy something* to meet their needs (fix their problem, etc.) so that you avoid the niches where people are looking to *learn about something* or just browse around.

      It is a lot harder to convince an information seeker to buy something from you than it is to hand someone a solution (for a price) to a problem they are trying to solve.

      But, like the previous poster said, it can be done. I agree, your best bet is to snag these people into an email list - offer a free pattern in exchange for signing up for your newsletter. Use Mailchimp - it's free to start out, and quite good. I still use it.

      Then set up autoresponders to send out to these people, after they get their free pattern. In these emails, start to review and suggest products to them. You could search on Amazon for higher end items and sign up for Amazon affiliates. Or Ebay, as well. Switch it up between purely informational emails with good quality content, reviews of lower end items, and then reviews of higher end items, soft and hard sells. Over time as your list grows, you are likely to make a few sales. And once someone buys something you've suggested - and likes it - they are more likely to continue buying what it is you are suggesting.

      As for an informational product for your landing page - search Clickbank, maybe ShareaSale, and other affiliate networks to see what they've got. And work on writing your own E-book to sell in that spot in the future.

      Or...if you have pages and pages of info and free patterns, and build out the site, you could ad Adsense and see how that goes. But I think for that, you'll need to be attracting a LOT of traffic to make it worth your time.

      Good luck!
      Signature

      "There are no magic wands, no hidden tricks, and no secret handshakes that can bring you immediate success. But with time, energy and determination, you can there." Darren Rowse

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329788].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
        As an advanced crocheter, I would suggest not trying to sell an ebook to this crowd. There is far too much free information online on how to learn to crochet.

        Instead, I would recommend you go for affiliate sales of materials, pattern books and tools that any crocheter will need. Yarns, hooks, cases, etc... we buy TONS of that stuff.

        If you can get some vintage public domain patterns and convert them to modern terms, you could sell that in a heartbeat if it's not found all over the web. Or some original patterns, if you crochet yourself. Even finished products could be sold, if that's what you do.
        Signature
        Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
        Fast & Easy Content Creation
        ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329822].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ross Kenny
          Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

          As an advanced crocheter, I would suggest not trying to sell an ebook to this crowd. There is far too much free information online on how to learn to crochet.

          Instead, I would recommend you go for affiliate sales of materials, pattern books and tools that any crocheter will need. Yarns, hooks, cases, etc... we buy TONS of that stuff.
          There you go... That's your in.....
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329826].message }}
  • just struggling with wordpress, its my first time.

    any guides on free themes and plugins for this kind of website guys?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329854].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DanielleD
      Originally Posted by I Ask Lots Of Questions View Post

      just struggling with wordpress, its my first time.

      any guides on free themes and plugins for this kind of website guys?
      I suggest using the Heatmap theme (google it) as it is very easy to configure, all of my sites that I use it on rank really well and quickly, and it makes it very easy to drop your ads into a ton of different places on your pages.

      Make sure you put an About Us, Contact Us (use a plug in for contact form), and Terms and Privacy Policy up. Use the Mailchimp plug in - or whoever you are going to use - to set up a sign up form for your list.
      Signature

      "There are no magic wands, no hidden tricks, and no secret handshakes that can bring you immediate success. But with time, energy and determination, you can there." Darren Rowse

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329882].message }}
      • Originally Posted by DanielleD View Post

        I suggest using the Heatmap theme (google it) as it is very easy to configure, all of my sites that I use it on rank really well and quickly, and it makes it very easy to drop your ads into a ton of different places on your pages.

        Make sure you put an About Us, Contact Us (use a plug in for contact form), and Terms and Privacy Policy up. Use the Mailchimp plug in - or whoever you are going to use - to set up a sign up form for your list.
        danielle your a diamond, i just installed it, need to work out how to configure it now
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4329914].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DanielleD
          Originally Posted by I Ask Lots Of Questions View Post

          danielle your a diamond, i just installed it, need to work out how to configure it now

          You're welcome!

          Sorry I couldn't PM you back.

          Check out some demos here: HeatMap Theme Pro Showcase - HeatMapTheme.net

          Honestly, I find it to be newbie-friendly but if you decide you don't want to go through setting it all up yourself, I'll set up the Pro theme for you ($70 value) and configure it for you with custom background or color scheme and custom header, for $50.

          Email me at nyypsi (at) gmail . com if you're interested.


          Danielle
          Signature

          "There are no magic wands, no hidden tricks, and no secret handshakes that can bring you immediate success. But with time, energy and determination, you can there." Darren Rowse

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4330014].message }}
          • Originally Posted by DanielleD View Post

            You're welcome!

            Sorry I couldn't PM you back.

            Check out some demos here: HeatMap Theme Pro Showcase - HeatMapTheme.net

            Honestly, I find it to be newbie-friendly but if you decide you don't want to go through setting it all up yourself, I'll set up the Pro theme for you ($70 value) and configure it for you with custom background or color scheme and custom header, for $50.

            Email me at nyypsi (at) gmail . com if you're interested.


            Danielle
            thanks but i need to learn, plus dont have $50 at the moment.

            but do you have any idea why the mailchip plug in or anyother widget will not show on my website after adding them and dragging them over?

            cheers.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4330126].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author DanielleD
              Originally Posted by I Ask Lots Of Questions View Post

              thanks but i need to learn, plus dont have $50 at the moment.

              but do you have any idea why the mailchip plug in or anyother widget will not show on my website after adding them and dragging them over?

              cheers.
              No worries, I started on a shoe-string as well! And I'm a "learn it myself" gal, so I understand.

              While you are doing a lot of work to your site, you may want to turn off Total Cache (it's in your standard plug ins for a new WP install now). And you may need to clear your own browsers cache in order to see things you've just changed.
              Signature

              "There are no magic wands, no hidden tricks, and no secret handshakes that can bring you immediate success. But with time, energy and determination, you can there." Darren Rowse

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4330153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author superboy66
    It is a lot harder to convince an information seeker to buy something from you than it is to hand someone a solution (for a price) to a problem they are trying to solve.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4330177].message }}

Trending Topics