Google+ better than Facebook

46 replies
Someone just tweeted me this investoo.co.uk/google-poised-to-delay-100bn-facebook-ipo/about Facebook delaying its IPO because they reckon Google+ has knocked off $20billion off facebook's valuation. I'm starting up a performance PC components site and i've never even heard of google+ but it seems like a good place to make yourself known? I don't like social networking but its obviously the in thing. seems like you can really succeed if you can't succeed at social marketing first. :confused:
#facebook #google
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    While it seems like it may be the "in" thing, Facebook has 750M users to Google Plus's 20M users who are sort of beta testers. I'm already bored to death with it and stats show that usage and time on sight are going down from the initial interest.

    I have an account for only one reason. To see what it's about. As far as actually communicating with real friends and family, it's still Facebook. That's where they are and they never even heard of Google Plus nor are they considering "moving."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4380508].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ladywriter
    The best thing about Google Plus is that there are "circles" which allow you to post certain things to certain groups---so your work colleagues don't get pics of you and your baby, and your friends don't get internet marketing news.

    This is a big deal for me personally, since I hate constantly fiddling with the filters on Facebook.

    Other than that it's pretty meh. When it opens up we'll get a better idea of how competitive it'll be to Facebook. I think it's too soon to say whether people will move from Facebook or not. Most of the people I know joined because they couldn't avoid it, not because they were enamored with Facebook itself. Many of them moved from MySpace. I'm not convinced that it's a particular platform people love but the concept, and whoever does it the best is where people will go.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4380580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by kstark View Post

      Other than that it's pretty meh. When it opens up we'll get a better idea of how competitive it'll be to Facebook. I think it's too soon to say whether people will move from Facebook or not. Most of the people I know joined because they couldn't avoid it, not because they were enamored with Facebook itself. Many of them moved from MySpace. I'm not convinced that it's a particular platform people love but the concept, and whoever does it the best is where people will go.
      Anyone can see why people moved from Myspace. Facebook has all the features that a social network needs and more. The thing is ... it's the techy people who like to try new crap out that are doing so, but the average, ordinary person could care less that's there's a new toy in town.

      My friends and family have invested hours into their photo galleries and finding their real life friends, high school buddies and family members. There's just no compelling reason to dump it to start all over, not to mention, it's literally impossible to find people you actually know except for Warrior forum members. lol.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4380680].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        ... not to mention, it's literally impossible to find people you actually know except for Warrior forum members. lol.
        Thats what I said!
        Signature

        BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4380771].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sparhawke
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        Anyone can see why people moved from Myspace. Facebook has all the features that a social network needs and more. The thing is ... it's the techy people who like to try new crap out that are doing so, but the average, ordinary person could care less that's there's a new toy in town.

        My friends and family have invested hours into their photo galleries and finding their real life friends, high school buddies and family members. There's just no compelling reason to dump it to start all over, not to mention, it's literally impossible to find people you actually know except for Warrior forum members. lol.
        Add to this Googles insane decision to wipe out and delete EVERYTHING (reports have been coming across that this includes adsense accounts too) if someone uses a nickname and you have 730M people who will avoid it like the plague.
        Signature
        “Thinking is easy, Acting is difficult
        And to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world ~ Goethe”
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4381590].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Sparhawke View Post

          Add to this Googles insane decision to wipe out and delete EVERYTHING (reports have been coming across that this includes adsense accounts too) if someone uses a nickname and you have 730M people who will avoid it like the plague.
          Quite right. I've read quite a few posts about the BIG people they banned in their recent ban spree that lost all google services they had including Adsense, Gmail, etc. Really nuts.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4381619].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anthony Lex
      I fear it's too little too late for Google on this one, Facebook is already well established with a massive user base. No doubt Google+ due to the novelty factor of being acclaimed new heir to the throne as the new Facebook will garner a few users to their platform, in reality though I doubt enough users of facebook will bother to make the move.

      If their Circles system is supposed to be the killer app then they seriously need to go back to the drawing board, why is someone already established on Facebook with all their friends going to make the move beacuse they can put their friends into different circles. Too little too late I'm afraid, Facebook has this sewn up unless someone can drastically take this part of the market significantly forward.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4380720].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author design2convert
      Originally Posted by kstark View Post

      The best thing about Google Plus is that there are "circles" which allow you to post certain things to certain groups---so your work colleagues don't get pics of you and your baby, and your friends don't get internet marketing news.

      This is a big deal for me personally, since I hate constantly fiddling with the filters on Facebook.

      Other than that it's pretty meh. When it opens up we'll get a better idea of how competitive it'll be to Facebook. I think it's too soon to say whether people will move from Facebook or not. Most of the people I know joined because they couldn't avoid it, not because they were enamored with Facebook itself. Many of them moved from MySpace. I'm not convinced that it's a particular platform people love but the concept, and whoever does it the best is where people will go.
      Its really nice review about both these services. no one can be avoidable its right. Good to see competition between two, which is healthy for the market, and will give more benefit to the users no doubt.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4391052].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebPen
    While I do like Google+'s circles feature, you have to admit it'll be a while before it replaces Facebook (if it ever does)

    Think about all of your family and friends on Facebook. Most of them are perfectly happy with it, so why would they switch?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4380715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    Facebook is still the top dog, google + is cool i admit it but still has ways to go to catch up facebook and i prefer G +.
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4380734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marvelouz
    well Google runs a large search engine, with google + you can have your buddies like links I think it will certainly make an impact. I like the google + hangout option where you can webcam with 10 of your friends. I think it'll be neat for Google to bring some competition to Facebook.
    Signature
    SERP CLIMBER - MOVE YOUR RANKINGS UP OVER 20K LINKS!

    Get your link diversity and velocity to climb the Google rankings!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4380760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Arock
    I think that a lot of people are actually confused by it. They may be tempted to simply hit the button, but a lot simply don't know what it is. Personally, I am not the biggest fan in the world. I am yet to be convinced.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4381705].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J Bold
    Since so many internet marketers seem to be all over Google+ like it's the greatest thing since Facebook, perhaps make some circles on there with fellow marketers and use it for business, and keep Facebook for personal use.

    Or, try both. I don't know. For the moment, I'm just gonna wait and see, I'm just don't like these social networks that much, anyway. Don't have a big interest in them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4381759].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by redicelander View Post

      Since so many internet marketers seem to be all over Google+ like it's the greatest thing since Facebook, perhaps make some circles on there with fellow marketers and use it for business, and keep Facebook for personal use.

      Or, try both. I don't know. For the moment, I'm just gonna wait and see, I'm just don't like these social networks that much, anyway. Don't have a big interest in them.
      Yeah ... that would put a bunch of marketers all in one big nice circle for Google's algorithms to detect and wipe out in one fell swoop. Like lambs being led to slaughter. No thanks. I use my gmail acct for business. Use Google Plus for nothing really except to see how it functions.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4381777].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by redicelander View Post

      Since so many internet marketers seem to be all over Google+
      Having lots of internet marketers on G+ just
      tells me that it won't be long before the thing
      is totally screwed up... lol
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4382906].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
      I agree with you. I am at Facebook. with all my friends and family, however I would like something like Google Circles for my business, as everyone at Facebook isn't interested in my business.

      Originally Posted by redicelander View Post

      Since so many internet marketers seem to be all over Google+ like it's the greatest thing since Facebook, perhaps make some circles on there with fellow marketers and use it for business, and keep Facebook for personal use.

      Or, try both. I don't know. For the moment, I'm just gonna wait and see, I'm just don't like these social networks that much, anyway. Don't have a big interest in them.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4400817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edward Thomes
    Oh modern humans tend to have this obsession with privacy, so I bet Google + will be a hit. I confess I am guilty.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4382916].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author THK
      Originally Posted by Edward Thomes View Post

      Oh modern humans tend to have this obsession with privacy, so I bet Google + will be a hit. I confess I am guilty.
      Circles, triangles or rectangles, nothing can ensure privacy if people don't use these sites responsibly. People that complain about Facebook's privacy breach, will find something to complain about G+ as well. Just wait and see. Irresponsible people just like to blame others.

      The main privacy issue regarding Facebook was about using apps, that leaked data to businesses. G+ is built for the same reason, to sell information to other companies. It is evident on the signup page. The major difference is that they will extract more authentic information than Facebook which will make them big money.

      Plus, when talking about privacy, read this-

      Google fired engineer for privacy breach | Relevant Results - CNET News

      and this-

      Google Fined For Street View Privacy Breach

      Dig up more if you want to. There are plenty out there. It is not a debate about who is better or worse, even though Google seems to have a leg up on Facebook for the wrong reasons.

      It is just good to know the whole story before deciding which company you want to deal with. Because none of them were created for us. Unlike what most people think, they are not "using" Google products, Google is using them as a "product" to make money. Which side of the fence you want to be, that is just a matter of taste.

      Tanvir
      Signature

      This is my signature!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4389938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bestrevenueshare
    I am with always new, better and innovative things, as far as google plus is concerned, I like the interface. Still it is in beta, let see what happen.
    Signature

    whoa dis junk site isn't related with IM --
    http://bestgameappsforandroid.blogspot.com
    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4383055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gingerhead
    It's really too early to tell, but I think a lot of people are getting bored of Facebook now, there have been a lot of stories around the security concerns, and apparently Facebook's userbase has actually decreased recently for about the first time since launching.

    I'm not sure that Google+ has what it takes to steal FB's crown though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4383078].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author design2convert
      Originally Posted by gingerhead View Post

      It's really too early to tell, but I think a lot of people are getting bored of Facebook now, there have been a lot of stories around the security concerns, and apparently Facebook's userbase has actually decreased recently for about the first time since launching.

      I'm not sure that Google+ has what it takes to steal FB's crown though.
      I don't think they were getting bored by facebook likes, they have still edge on facebook you can say some downfall happen in the users. But this down fall is in the real users who use facebook as a social site not a business site. But if you see as an business purposes its uses increased.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4390068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ebusinessireader
    Time will tell.

    Not us. ^___^
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4383110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fred1
    Hey, guys!

    I would greatly appreciate if someone could send me an invite to Goog +.

    Please let me know & I can PM you my email address.

    Thanks!
    Signature
    "Why should the way I feel depend on the thoughts in someone else's head?" ~ Emerson
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4389415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MommyReporter
    I think Google + has a lot of catching up to do. It still is very new and it has not caught on to the older 40+ crowd just yet... My mom is still trying to figure out Facebook. God help her if she ever tries to learn Google +!!! LOL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4389462].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
      You would be surprised at just how many of us over 40+ crowd are here in numbers. LOL


      Originally Posted by MommyReporter View Post

      I think Google + has a lot of catching up to do. It still is very new and it has not caught on to the older 40+ crowd just yet... My mom is still trying to figure out Facebook. God help her if she ever tries to learn Google +!!! LOL
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4400861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mitchell Assin
    google+ vs facebook

    both of them smell like money to me

    It depends on how you use them - I use facebook for both personal and building leads.
    I think google+ would be just as good .. mabey even help in your SEO?? Depending if google want's to take loyalty into consideration?? just a thought :-)
    Signature

    To your success,

    Mitchell Assin

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4389542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roosevelt
    Google plus is quite new at the moment, I still haven't found any case studies that shows the benefits of advertising or marketing using Google plus. As a personal user of both Facebook and Google plus, I find Facebook much better than Google plus. Google plus does have something unique about it, but I feel it's not matured yet for business purposes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4389696].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stephfoster
    I signed up for Google+, but so far it's not beating Facebook for me. Not even close. Interesting to mess around with, but like so many I have trouble picturing my family and friends all choosing to migrate over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4389850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jrodriguez315
    Google+ is slowly beginning to catch on but it will be quite some time before business jump on board. Google is trying to employ the tactics used by Mark Zuckerberg early on in nurturing the Facebooks "cool" factor before letting any monetization occur on the site in any real way. It will be some time before Google+ makes any real dent in Facebooks dominant position in the market.
    Signature

    I'm saving 50% to 90% off all marketing tools & software tools at The Daily Gangster!

    Real people. Trusted Warriors, Making real money online, now reveal their Best Online Business Blueprint! Click here to learn more . . .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4389970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author packjack
    Facebook must already be working on to introduce new features in order to tackle the G+..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4390029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ephame
    I'm sure google+ will just incorporate some + website feature and rank it better in their searches to entice people to become a user or to advertise to + their sites. I hope they don't take this road to gaining subscribers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4390342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cliam
    Google + is really something. Definitely beats facebook with it's functions and all. But that said, people have been a bit too comfortable with facebook till now. Unless there's a switch button that can transfer everything they have on facebook to Google +, it's gonna take some time. Heck, it's going to take a long time.

    And if everyone is on Google +, then everybody would hail to Google the God of internet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4390626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rob Maggs
    I'm personally liking the way Google is going, I think we will see so much rubbish disappear from the Internet, less crappy dupe content and more relevant results from searches. It will mean that a lot of us will need to change our game plan, but I for one am excited by this change and I think that those who resist change the most will suffer.

    Since the Panda update I've seen my page ranks increase, my traffic has quadrupled recently and a lot of this is I believe is down to changes in the Google algorithm and also because of the relationships I've built on google+

    One of the best features on G+ I've played with is the "Hangout" feature, really good video conferencing. I had a meeting with 7 other marketer's online and we were all really impressed with it and we collectively came up with some incredible ideas. The opportunities for online collaboration are great and unless Facebook does something truly revolutionary then I believe that Google+ will soon become "Top Dog".

    Cheers

    Rob
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4390918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RealExpert
    Google+ rules are very strict....

    For instance, you make a profile with your nickname and you might get deleted!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4391235].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RohitShah
    I am not sure Facebook will delay their IPO. They are doing IPO for a reason. They are being pushed to do so. So its actually not their choice. Also they have a deal with Goldman Sach now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4391256].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author harrietfredge
    Google + is on its way to compete with facebook however it would take some time. Facebook is already an established networking site so better stick to it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4391307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author uumair
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4392601].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author maile15
      Thats not the first Social Site from Google, so I think we should wait and see before we make to many suggestions. Google is stronger than before but Facebook ist and stays the biggest Social Site on earth.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4393098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mandom
    I'll be shocked if it goes anywhere. The only thing people seem to really like is the circles thing and how long do you think it'll take FB to integrate the most used features of G+?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4394701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laustinseo
    Google + is deffinatly better than Facebook, i dont spend much time on their right now though because not all of my friends are on G+, their still on FB. I imagine when G+ becomes available to everyone then it will deffinatly pick up, more than it already has. Ive written a post in a huge amount of detail, stating why Facebook will be beaten by Google Why Google + is the Facebook Killer « SEO Positive Blog
    Signature

    Lewis Austin
    Social Media Marketing Manager
    SEO Positive
    www.seopositive.co.uk

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4399699].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nortamzzo
      Originally Posted by laustinseo View Post

      Google + is deffinatly better than Facebook, i dont spend much time on their right now though because not all of my friends are on G+, their still on FB. I imagine when G+ becomes available to everyone then it will deffinatly pick up, more than it already has. Ive written a post in a huge amount of detail, stating why Facebook will be beaten by Google Why Google + is the Facebook Killer « SEO Positive Blog

      I want my 5 minutes I spent reading that horrible post you wrote back.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4400138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Onora Oz
    I don't like being marketed to while hanging around on Facebook, so I'm hiding behind the curtains there. Interacting with just family and friends...

    However, many other FB users do like being marketed to and they are pretty responsive to (let's say) FB ads and updates, unlike me. I have been building fan pages and promoting my business heavily on FB since this discovery.

    Anyways, Google is planning to roll out business pages (or profiles) into G+. This and being able to spy on what other marketers are up to nowadays are the 2 things that keep me on G+.

    Plus, as Facebook Questions is quite popular nowadays, I'm expecting from Google to revive Google Answers and integrate it into G+.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4399910].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimseo
    Number of google+ user is declining after initial interest, Moreover i think is google+ is not as user friendly as facebook
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4400903].message }}

Trending Topics