for the first time I'm in a position where I could start making some money on the internet. Two months ago I started a website in the "guitar" niche. Since I've been an active web developer for 4 years now, I was able to add a lot of unique functionality to this website and as a result of that it's becoming quite popular.
Google Analytics tells me that I get roughly 2'000 visitors per day. In the last 30 days, I've had over 30'000 unique visitors on this website. So, now it's time for me to find out - how to monetize?
I think I should tell you as well that my visitors don't come to the website with the intention to buy anything, they are just looking for different bits of information.
So far I've only been using some AdSense, but totally unobtrusive, getting a CTR of 0.4%. It makes me $1 a day. Ouch. So I got to thinking and I've come up with a bunch of questions that I hope some of you will help me with:
1. Are there any good CPM Ad Networks and how much do they pay for 1000 impressions of 120x600 banner in my niche?
2. Would you implement an affiliate program promoting some guitar-related products or should I be promoting some generally-appealing products like "easy money on web", "dating", stuff like that. Let me remind you, my guitarists don't intend to buy anything in the first place.
3. Should I start creating a list and offer some freebies for joining it?
4. Does anyone of you use paid surveys as an additional revenue stream? Which ones? What's the $$$?
5. Is there any good sistem for donations that accepts a lot of different ways of payment? Maybe PayPal?
Generally, I really only have two questions:
a) How would YOU monetize a website like that?
b) How much can this website make me (per month) in your opinion?
Thank you all so much in advance, I really appreciate everything I get on this forum, you are the best!