Looking for a synonyms database

16 replies
Is there a synonyms database (free or paid) that I can download somewhere?

I know there are sites like dictionary.com etc, but I want to be able to have the database locally. Maybe something like:

keyword 1 | keyword 2| keyword 3
strong | powerful | potent
dog | puppy | k9

If the database can also work with common phrases, even better:

phrase 1 | phrase 2| phrase 3

Thanks in advance.
#database #synonyms
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4405751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beverley Watts
    Microsoft Word has a free thesaurus with it - I use it all the time
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4406050].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author perneali45
      Originally Posted by Highenergy View Post

      wordnik.com maybe??
      Thanks but they don't allow local use of their database as per their TOS.

      Originally Posted by Beverley Watts View Post

      Microsoft Word has a free thesaurus with it - I use it all the time
      Not exactly what I'm referring to but thanks :-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4406328].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author enjamulreloadedfitness
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10309596].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4406744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author elronzo
    Hi perneali45 - I may have the wrong end of this but why not try spinnerchief - website at the the same name with .co.uk tagged on the end - it is FREE and comes with tonnes of plug in thesauruses if you dont like the default one. warmest regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4407749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Have you considered using the tilda command within Google?

    ~keyword
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4407760].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aclizzy
      I use 'thesaurus online UK', if you search that into Google you will be able to search synonyms for specific words as it is free
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4407778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aclizzy
      I use 'thesaurus online UK', if you search that into Google you will be able to search synonyms for specific words as it is free.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4407785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aj113
    Originally Posted by perneali45 View Post

    Is there a synonyms database (free or paid) that I can download somewhere?

    I know there are sites like dictionary.com etc, but I want to be able to have the database locally. Maybe something like:

    keyword 1 | keyword 2| keyword 3
    strong | powerful | potent
    dog | puppy | k9

    If the database can also work with common phrases, even better:

    phrase 1 | phrase 2| phrase 3

    Thanks in advance.
    SpinnerChief is free and the database is stored locally.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4420324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 3aliens
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10309486].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve B
        After you expend a lot of time and effort in trying to spin articles, you will see that spinning does not produce quality articles, Google hates spun content, your readers will hate it as well, and you could just as easily spend the time in creating high quality content that will make you money.

        Steve
        Signature

        Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
        SteveBrowneDirect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10309559].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author 3aliens
          Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

          After you expend a lot of time and effort in trying to spin articles, you will see that spinning does not produce quality articles, Google hates spun content, your readers will hate it as well, and you could just as easily spend the time in creating high quality content that will make you money.

          Steve
          I also thought that original content was best. Its actually an Arcade site Games Descriptions that I'm trying to spin not articles. everyone has the same descriptions I figured different wording would get a better rank.
          Thanks for enlightening me
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10309626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Geez, the thread is 4 years old.

    Anyway...

    Try WordNet from princeton.edu.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10309956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 3aliens
    Thanks everyone for the links and But Please read what the original poster and I above asked for. Not links to Dictionary and Thesaurus sites or services, I need a list of synonyms in the format of
    keyword 1 | keyword 2| keyword 3
    strong | powerful | potent
    dog | puppy | k9

    and so what the thread is 4 years Old the need for this list in my mind is 2 days Old. and I did check them out its a software to use their online database for windows.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10310087].message }}

Trending Topics