How Do I Know If My Product Will Be Profitable?

42 replies
Now that I know what type of info product I want to create, I'm not really sure if anyone is interested in it. How do you know if it will make money or not?
#niche #profitable
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Meaney
    Is there a similar product out there that's selling?

    If it will make money or not depends on a few things.. the quality of the traffic you receive, the quality of the product and the quality of your sales copy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447116].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      There are products similar to mine, I think they are selling well. I'm not sure about creating a sales letter--I guess now I need to learn how to do sales copy...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447141].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author timpears
        Originally Posted by Cheree C View Post

        There are products similar to mine, I think they are selling well. I'm not sure about creating a sales letter--I guess now I need to learn how to do sales copy...
        If you don't know how to do a sales letter, then best to outsource it to someone that does. You can get reasonable prices for sales copy in the Warriors For Hire section of the forum.

        Your sales letter is at least as important as having a good product. If you don't have a good sales letter you won't sell much. So it has to be as good as possible, as good as you can afford.
        Signature

        Tim Pears

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4448005].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
          Originally Posted by timpears View Post

          If you don't know how to do a sales letter, then best to outsource it to someone that does. You can get reasonable prices for sales copy in the Warriors For Hire section of the forum.

          Your sales letter is at least as important as having a good product. If you don't have a good sales letter you won't sell much. So it has to be as good as possible, as good as you can afford.
          Is there someone you can recommend personally? I don't want to spend more money that I don't have by getting someone to do this for me and they don't do it right.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4448089].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author murtuza
            Cheree, for quick solution on salesletter grab 'Instant Salesletter Templates' of Yanik Silver, great option for 39 bucks. Also a cool software you can use is 'Amazing Letter Templates'. I have used these 2 things in past to create amazing copies for my products that have sold over 20k. Cheap solution rather than hiring an expensive copywriter. I guess you can pump up one salesletter easily in few hours with the above options. Both are cheap I guess for 40 bucks.

            Murtuza
            Signature

            Want to know my true story & how I got started with my internet business? What kind of problems I faced to get started & how I finally cracked the internet code? I have also prepared a 30 day blueprint for you to get started. No signup is required, just rush in to check out pure content ==> how to start an online business - And yeah, if you like what you read don't forget to 'like' & 'tweet' it. All the best :0)

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4448442].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
              Originally Posted by murtuza View Post

              Cheree, for quick solution on salesletter grab 'Instant Salesletter Templates' of Yanik Silver, great option for 39 bucks. Also a cool software you can use is 'Amazing Letter Templates'. I have used these 2 things in past to create amazing copies for my products that have sold over 20k. Cheap solution rather than hiring an expensive copywriter. I guess you can pump up one salesletter easily in few hours with the above options. Both are cheap I guess for 40 bucks.

              Murtuza
              Thank you so much for this. That's what I need templates to make my own sales pages.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4453892].message }}
    • Create a squeeze page offering a very "lite" version of your product for free. If you manage get good traffic, good optin rates and good feedback, chances are that you can monetize off a "pro" (paid) version.
    • Post less here in WF, and get working on your product already.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheSEguy
    check the wso section that will give you an idea of what sells well and what doesnt
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447154].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Ok thanks guys, I'm thinking about creating a plr article pack and selling that as my first product. I'm not sure if I could make the return on investment if I were to sell it as a WSO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447171].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sjean
        There is a market for PLR articles in the forum. I think they are a great way to make newsletters membership sites if there are a series of articles on the same topic. You at least start to get your name out there if you are providing good content. You could do a free WSO and give the PLR articles away to build a list. As we all know "money" is in the list.
        Signature

        Build a list of customers and send special promotions straight to their cell phones.
        Send hundreds of text messages with one click.
        $9.95 to start, visit my site http://smstakeover.com

        My Webvercity Internet Marketing Forum

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447230].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wealthydon
    You have to look at the numbers, i.e. keyword research.

    Are the "search terms" that relate to the product you want
    to create make people to buy? If not it is not profitable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447187].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Yeah when I researched keywords they get a lot of searches but I'm not sure if people are buying in this category or are they looking for something that's free. How can you tell?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    You could post it as a classified ad for $20 instead of a WSO for $40. Then you can post a link to it in your sig.

    You can also sell more than one pack there within one ad. This might give you an idea of which topics sell better.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447204].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Originally Posted by Rose Anderson View Post

      You could post it as a classified ad for $20 instead of a WSO for $40. Then you can post a link to it in your sig.

      You can also sell more than one pack there within one ad. This might give you an idea of which topics sell better.

      Rose
      Thanks Rose, I didn't even think about that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447238].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bdamada
      Originally Posted by Rose Anderson View Post

      You could post it as a classified ad for $20 instead of a WSO for $40. Then you can post a link to it in your sig.

      You can also sell more than one pack there within one ad. This might give you an idea of which topics sell better.

      Rose

      I agree with Madam Rose, she give pretty advice on it.

      To Cheeree C just give more time to promote your product. Huge the risk because you will not know what will be in return.. CHEERS!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447360].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author taniharjo
      Originally Posted by Rose Anderson View Post

      You could post it as a classified ad for $20 instead of a WSO for $40. Then you can post a link to it in your sig.

      You can also sell more than one pack there within one ad. This might give you an idea of which topics sell better.

      Rose
      totally agree with her but most of the time your product can sell well because of its sales letter and promotion. Not about the product (considering you're not selling a crappy one) so I suggest you outsource your sales letter

      Another thing, don't over think it, just do it and you will learn a lot especially if this is your first time whether or not it's a successful product

      Do not try to perfect every single thing because no matter how hard you try, it won't be
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4454108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesGw
    You'll know if it'll be profitable if you've put a lot of time into creating a good product with information that people need and are then willing to promote it endlessly until it becomes successful.

    It's called perseverance.

    Having a market already ready to buy from you also helps, but you could always just create your own.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447247].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Originally Posted by JamesGw View Post

      You'll know if it'll be profitable if you've put a lot of time into creating a good product with information that people need and are then willing to promote it endlessly until it becomes successful.

      It's called perseverance.

      Having a market already ready to buy from you also helps, but you could always just create your own.
      Thanks because it is something that I think everyone needs and will continue to need.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447285].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author herbalhound
      Originally Posted by JamesGw View Post

      You'll know if it'll be profitable if you've put a lot of time into creating a good product with information that people need and are then willing to promote it endlessly until it becomes successful.

      It's called perseverance.

      Having a market already ready to buy from you also helps, but you could always just create your own.
      That is truly one of the best things I have heard. I personally will take that information to heart! Thank you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    Cheree,
    If you're interested in selling PLR, you should take a look at the courses offered by Peggy Baron and Tiffany Dow. You may not want to spend the money now, but you should keep them in mind if you decide you need more information on the topic in the future.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447359].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Originally Posted by Rose Anderson View Post

      Cheree,
      If you're interested in selling PLR, you should take a look at the courses offered by Peggy Baron and Tiffany Dow. You may not want to spend the money now, but you should keep them in mind if you decide you need more information on the topic in the future.

      Rose
      Oh yes, I used to follow Tiffany Dow, I forgot about her PLR program I will check it out.

      How do I set up a classified ad?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447418].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
        Thanks bdamada that's good motivation
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447459].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bdamada
          Originally Posted by Cheree C View Post

          Thanks bdamada that's good motivation

          Your welcome..Be positive Go for the GOLD!
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dhanediesil
    Before you created the product, I'll assume you knew what your target market would be, so...

    1) Ask them what they want - run a survey

    2) Give them what they want

    You'll practically guarantee profit that way.

    It really is that simple.

    It isn't rocket science.. YOU got this though.

    Just be sure to do your due diligence.

    My .$2

    To Your Abundant Success,
    Dhane Crowley
    Founder, Billionaire Belief
    Signature

    >>FREE ONLINE BUSINESS TRAINING<< Get Off To A Great Start: How To Really Get Your Online Business Going... CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447449].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ganesh
    It is difficult to tell if a product will be successful or not until it is put up for sale. If you are planning to sell articles as a PLR pack then I will suggest you to put a few articles as a pack. If your budget allows than go for a WSO. If not, the classified section of this forum is a good place as someone has suggested that earlier but gets lesser exposure than the WSO section.
    If due to any reason it is not profitable then have a backup plan like compiling the articles into a eBook which you can sell or give free to build a list, put the articles on your blog or submit them to article directories and build back links to your site/blog, turn the articles to videos and submit to video sharing sites like Youtube etc……..
    In my opinion writing articles is never a waste of time. You can use it in one way or other. Go ahead and do it.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447455].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Originally Posted by ganesh View Post

      It is difficult to tell if a product will be successful or not until it is put up for sale. If you are planning to sell articles as a PLR pack then I will suggest you to put a few articles as a pack. If your budget allows than go for a WSO. If not, the classified section of this forum is a good place as someone has suggested that earlier but gets lesser exposure than the WSO section.
      If due to any reason it is not profitable then have a backup plan like compiling the articles into a eBook which you can sell or give free to build a list, put the articles on your blog or submit them to article directories and build back links to your site/blog, turn the articles to videos and submit to video sharing sites like Youtube etc........
      In my opinion writing articles is never a waste of time. You can use it in one way or other. Go ahead and do it.
      Thank you these are good ideas. That's what I was a little worried about the classified section not getting as much exposure.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447541].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    Go to Warrior products and services.

    Then click on: classified ads

    At the top there is a sticky that explains how to post an ad:

    "How To Pay For Thread & How To Bump A Thread"

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447482].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Originally Posted by Rose Anderson View Post

      Go to Warrior products and services.

      Then click on: classified ads

      At the top there is a sticky that explains how to post an ad:

      "How To Pay For Thread & How To Bump A Thread"

      Rose
      Thanks again Rose, not sure if this is the route I'm going to go yet but it is nice to have this option.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447603].message }}
  • @Cheree C

    As I trust that you will be creating very valuable and quality products,
    in the end it will mostly be about marketing it properly to the proper targeted audience.

    You may create the best product in the world,
    but if as you say "I'm not sure about creating a sales letter--I guess now I need to learn how to do sales copy..."
    then I say that you are absolutely right about the sales copy.
    Whether that be a website sales page, a forum post, an advertisement, etc.


    A product, especially online, sells well and makes a profit (minus refunds of course)
    because of a great sales presentation, and proper marketing execution.

    Most people buy things based on what they see on their computer screen.
    (A sales message, sales page, words used, images, emotions it evokes, testimonials, etc...)
    Except for trial versions of software etc where you get to try a product before paying,
    most people pay for something based on the above mentioned before they even have the actual product in their hands.

    I like to study infomercials to see how they manage to sell millions of dollars worth of crappy products,
    while other companies struggle to sell a few hundred dollars worth of a quality product
    because of lack of knowing how to market properly.

    Quick question:

    What do you think gets more sales upfront?

    A: Great looking sales page / pitch, with a so so product.

    Or,

    B: Crappy sales page / pitch, with a great product hiding behind it?


    In most cases, the answer is A.

    So hopefully this will give you something to think about
    when starting to look for income based on the great products you will create.

    "How Do I Know If My Product Will Be Profitable?"

    You don't stop until you have done everything you can to reach your targeted audience,
    improve your sales conversions as you go, and "make" it profitable.

    In my opinion, make sure that you have a passion for your product and topics.
    If not you'll just end up doing what everyone else does,
    creating products to target niches where you have absolutely no interest in.
    This will cause most folks to burn out quickly and give up.

    See my websites and it will be easy to tell what my interests and passions are. (music / multimedia, etc).
    Therefore if research showed that I shouldn't do it, don't sell it, not popular, there's no money in it.
    I say, whatever....

    (Been running my company while working from home full time successfully for the last 6 years within my passion niches).

    Good luck.

    Arnold.
    Signature
    Arnold Stolting - Stolting Media Group
    "I LOVE The Song! The Vibe Is Positive And Firm!" - Kymani Marley. (Son of Bob Marley)
    "Keep Up The Good Work!" Tony Lindsay - Lead Vocalist, Carlos Santana.

    "Very High Quality!" Jeremy Harding - Manager / Producer. Sean Paul.
    "They Are FANTASTIC!" - Willie Crawford.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Originally Posted by stoltingmediagroup View Post

      @Cheree C

      As I trust that you will be creating very valuable and quality products,
      in the end it will mostly be about marketing it properly to the proper targeted audience.

      You may create the best product in the world,
      but if as you say "I'm not sure about creating a sales letter--I guess now I need to learn how to do sales copy..."
      then I say that you are absolutely right about the sales copy.
      Whether that be a website sales page, a forum post, an advertisement, etc.


      A product, especially online, sells well and makes a profit (minus refunds of course)
      because of a great sales presentation, and proper marketing execution.

      Most people buy things based on what they see on their computer screen.
      (A sales message, sales page, words used, images, emotions it evokes, testimonials, etc...)
      Except for trial versions of software etc where you get to try a product before paying,
      most people pay for something based on the above mentioned before they even have the actual product in their hands.

      I like to study infomercials to see how they manage to sell millions of dollars worth of crappy products,
      while other companies struggle to sell a few hundred dollars worth of a quality product
      because of lack of knowing how to market properly.

      Quick question:

      What do you think gets more sales upfront?

      A: Great looking sales page / pitch, with a so so product.

      Or,

      B: Crappy sales page / pitch, with a great product hiding behind it?


      In most cases, the answer is A.

      So hopefully this will give you something to think about
      when starting to look for income based on the great products you will create.

      "How Do I Know If My Product Will Be Profitable?"

      You don't stop until you have done everything you can to reach your targeted audience,
      improve your sales conversions as you go, and "make" it profitable.

      In my opinion, make sure that you have a passion for your product and topics.
      If not you'll just end up doing what everyone else does,
      creating products to target niches where you have absolutely no interest in.
      This will cause most folks to burn out quickly and give up.

      See my websites and it will be easy to tell what my interests and passions are. (music / multimedia, etc).
      Therefore if research showed that I shouldn't do it, don't sell it, not popular, there's no money in it.
      I say, whatever....

      (Been running my company while working from home full time successfully for the last 6 years within my passion niches).

      Good luck.

      Arnold.
      Thank you so much for that. I am going to try my best to create great sales copy, because I do know first hand that this is what gets me to buy products myself. So it has to be good or it will easily get overlooked.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447869].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
    Yeah, this is what I'm starting to see. So I will just keep working on it and launch it. Then hopefully it will be a big hit. If not I will just try again, I'm trying to stay positive
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447927].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cheree C
      Thanks you all have given me so many new ideas
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4448077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author murtuza
    Hi Cheree,

    Here's my advise. Don't create your info product right now, rather create a simple squeeze page and a free gift that you will give away and start building your list by driving traffic to your squeeze page.

    Once you build a list of lets say 100 subscribers, send them a simple email and ask them what are their major problems in their niche. Tell them that you are striving hard to solve problems of your subscribers and you will personally email them for next 48 hours if they reply back and tell you their problems in your niche. Tell them what is holding them back to solve their problem and ask some relevant questions pertaining to your niche.

    The amazing part of using this system is that people will respond. If out of 100 subscribers even 30 reply back with their problems you will have an exact blueprint and structure that you can use to create your first product. Also when you reply back to them with a solution you will build trust and relationship.

    Now when you create your product based on their problems and have their problems and benefits listed on your salesletter your product will sell for sure. Out of those 30 guys who responded back and other 100 will look at you as an expert and your conversion rate will BOOM.

    Don't create your product and go out to look for buyers. Rather ask people their problems and create solutions for them and sell them, this is the best way to create your products.

    Murtuza --->
    Signature

    Want to know my true story & how I got started with my internet business? What kind of problems I faced to get started & how I finally cracked the internet code? I have also prepared a 30 day blueprint for you to get started. No signup is required, just rush in to check out pure content ==> how to start an online business - And yeah, if you like what you read don't forget to 'like' & 'tweet' it. All the best :0)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4447959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lucas Adamski
    Test it out using your list or WSO. You won't know if it's going to sell if you won't send some traffic to your offer. Your sales letter is the main thing that is going to determine how profitable your product will be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4454042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Morphius
    Sometimes in life you have to take risks. Because if you don't take a risk, you will end up working for someone else that too a risk (and then you get fired).
    Seriously, jump in try it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4454186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Cheree C View Post

    Now that I know what type of info product I want to create, I'm not really sure if anyone is interested in it.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, Cheree: no criticism is implied; but something has already gone a bit wrong, if you know what type of info product you want to create but are not yet sure if anyone's interested in it! It's fundamental to marketing that when you're deciding what products you want to create, you start from "what people are interested in". That's what marketing is: you find out what people want to buy first and only then think about how to provide it for them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4454227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Enis
    Look up your niche on clickbank. If there are people selling stuff and making money, go for it. But keep in mind that gravity does not always equal money. You can also blow some money on PPC just to give it a try before working with affiliates.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4454256].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carloru
    Your question shows that you are putting the cart before the horse. You should do a market research and find out what the market really wants out of the product niche you intend to cover with your info product.

    That way, you will be sure that whatever you produce will have a ready market. Creating a product before trying to found out if it will sell and make you money will not work out.

    You can never put a cart before a horse. That's the basic rule of info product creation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4454372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shuvo
    For that you need to go under some research and with the help of different online tools like adwords keyword tool,by analyzing conversion rate,review of others you can know whether your selected product will be profitable or not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4454417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ebusinesstutor
    Here is an excerpt from my upcoming Internet Marketing 101 free e-course that might help:
    ---------------
    Most new businesses fail.

    Before you go through all the work and expense of setting up your business, your web site and your marketing to bring traffic to it, why not do an inexpensive test of your business idea?

    This section will not only show you how to test the viability of your product idea, it will also show you how to test what marketing techniques work best for promoting your product.

    If your product tests do not work, you must be ready to give up or modify your business idea. I know it is tough to let go, but it is best to find this out early.

    Here are some ways to test a new product or service idea and even make some money while doing it.

    Test a Free Item
    One way to test a product or service idea is to create a free or inexpensive e-book, special report or "how-to" guide that deals with your topic and then to market it to the target audience you identified that would be interested in it.

    Here is how you do this:

    Step 1: Create the free e-book, special report or "how to" guide.

    Step 2 - Create a landing page with simple online form where people can sign up for the free item and receive it by auto responder. This can be done easily using services like the Internet One System or Traffic Wave. You can also test multiple landing pages this way to see what kind of wording and offers get the best results.

    Step 3 - Promote this free item through a number of different marketing methods as outlined in this course, making sure you track each one.

    Step 4 - Analyze the results. If there is little interest in your free offering, perhaps your idea is not viable. After all, if you can't give away a basic version of the product using a wide range of marketing techniques, what are the chances you will be able to sell it successfully? In this case, you need to choose or develop a new product or idea or make major modifications to your existing idea.

    If the campaign is successful, you have accomplished the following:

    - Generated a list of people who are interested in products like these and would probably buy more in future.
    - Connected with people who may provide you with testimonials to use in your future marketing.
    - Proven which marketing methods work and which ones should be dumped.
    - Proven what kind of wording is best for your landing pages.
    - Connected with people you could survey to find out what they thought and what additional needs they have to further refine your product.
    - Determined how much a successful advertising campaign would cost.

    This is a great way to test an idea while connecting with people who will be your eventual customers.

    Test Using An Affiliate Product
    My second method is to find a similar product to the one you are thinking of offering and joining their affiliate program. Then you will promote the affiliate link to see how easy it is to sell the product.

    Step 1 - Sign up for an affiliate program for a good quality similar product to yours that reaches the same target market you plan on working with. Look for products where your affiliate link goes to a strong landing page. If you like the product but the landing page is weak, you may need to set up your own landing pages as in the first test above instead of sending people directly to the parent site via your affiliate link.

    Step 2 - Promote this affiliate item through a number of different marketing methods, making sure you track each one.

    Step 3 - Analyze the results. If the campaign fails, chances are your own product would have failed as as well.

    If the marketing campaign is successful, you can continue the successful marketing methods in the campaign (since it is already making you money), drop the non-performing marketing methods and substitute your own products when ready.

    Test An Actual Product
    In this section, I will show you how to test a real product in the world's largest online marketplace.

    Step 1 - Make a wholesale purchase some of a competitors product that is good quality. If you product is ready, you could use it instead.

    Step 2 - Promote this product through the world's largest online marketplace, eBay.

    Step 3 - Analyze results. If the campaign fails, chances are your product wouldn't work in a full blown campaign. After all, if you can't sell it in the world's largest marketplace with lots of people already buying similar products, why would it sell better on your web site where you don't have traffic yet.

    If successful, continue the campaign and substitute your own products when ready.

    The lessons you learn in these tests can save you a LOT of time and heartache. If they fail, you know you have to go back to the drawing board. If they are successful, you now know how to market your own product or service successfully. And for testing methods #2 and #3, you actually made income while doing it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4454640].message }}

Trending Topics