Ambiguity in the Forum Rules?

10 replies
I've seen a few threads get deleted; not locked or moved - just deleted. 99% of the time it's merited and obvious to everyone why it should be gone - but once in a while one gets chucked for really no obvious reason and no reason is provided.

I just posted one such thread - asking for references for a new hosting company. I've checked my control panel and email and I don't see any kind of details about why it was deleted. Just so we're clear - I'm not asking why it was deleted or causing a stink about it - so this thread shouldn't be deleted... I think (see below).

I went over the rules again and the only thing I could find that could relate was the rule against posting affiliate links. In my thread I mentioned that I'd accept affiliate referrals. Now, the rules don't state that you can't solicit affiliate links - so if this was the reason it was deleted then it seems to be a bit of overkill. Why not edit my post, post that I need to edit the thread verbiage or at the max; close it with a comment.

Now, I understand moderating a forum is a pain in the ass - but it'd be great if there was less ambiguity. I have enough things to do with my time, and speculating about the clarity of rules at a forum I contribute to is a recipe for tedium.

Thanks
#ambiguity #forum #rules
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    Probably because you should have used the Search function first because there are already quite a few threads that talk about hosting companies by name.

    Here's a few threads that came up with my search for "hosting company"

    http://www.warriorforum.com/website-...g-company.html

    http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...-bluehost.html

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475230].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author entrprnr
      Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

      Probably because you should have used the Search function first because there are already quite a few threads that talk about hosting companies by name.
      ...and things don't change over time?

      Your relationship with your hosting company is only good until it's not.

      Again, we're speculating; which is avoidable as I stated.
      Signature
      Often the difference between a successful person and a failure is not one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one’s ideas, to take a calculated risk – and to act.
      -Andre Malraux
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475252].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
        Originally Posted by entrprnr View Post

        ...and things don't change over time?

        Your relationship with your hosting company is only good until it's not.

        Again, we're speculating; which is avoidable as I stated.

        They could change but the first thread was from the 13th of this month...

        I'm not saying that's why it was deleted because I don't know, might be a reason though, who knows. Some of my posts get deleted but I just move on and forget about it...

        No system is perfect but I'd rather have a few MIA posts than have this forum go bye bye...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475266].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author entrprnr
          Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

          They could change but the first thread was from the 13th of this month...

          I'm not saying that's why it was deleted because I don't know, might be a reason though, who knows. Some of my posts get deleted but I just move on and forget about it...

          No system is perfect but I'd rather have a few MIA posts than have this forum go bye bye...
          Naturally, though that's a bit extreme.

          I appreciate your input but it's genuinely quality information that's simply gone now.
          Signature
          Often the difference between a successful person and a failure is not one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one’s ideas, to take a calculated risk – and to act.
          -Andre Malraux
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475313].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            I went over the rules again and the only thing I could find that could relate was the rule against posting affiliate links. In my thread I mentioned that I'd accept affiliate referrals.
            So you knew not to violate the rules - but saw nothing wrong with encouraging others to do so? Do you see a disconnect there?:rolleyes:

            No explanations are given when threads are deleted and it's not speculation. There's a reason whether we know what it is or not. We've all had threads deleted. No biggie - just move on to the next thing.

            kay
            Signature
            Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
            ***
            Dear Santa - I've been good all year. Most of the time. Some of the time. Ummm...
            Never mind, I'll buy my own stuff.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475487].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Ken Strong
              Make sure you're posting in the right section. The topic you're referring to would go in Product Reviews. But sometimes threads are deleted simply because the subject has been done to death already, and asking which hosting company to use is one of those.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475500].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
                I vote, delete the next thread asking if one should buy a .com over a .blabla because .com is better.

                To the OP, don't take it personal. Get your feet wet by participating in other threads, and for generic questions use the search function. You might find an answer quicker then posting and waiting for replies.

                Originally Posted by Ken Strong View Post

                Make sure you're posting in the right section. The topic you're referring to would go in Product Reviews. But sometimes threads are deleted simply because the subject has been done to death already, and asking which hosting company to use is one of those.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475540].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author entrprnr
              Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

              So you knew not to violate the rules - but saw nothing wrong with encouraging others to do so? Do you see a disconnect there?:rolleyes:

              No explanations are given when threads are deleted and it's not speculation. There's a reason whether we know what it is or not. We've all had threads deleted. No biggie - just move on to the next thing.

              kay
              At first glance you have a good point - but then again it comes down to a matter of class and consideration.

              I hate to compare mods with cops, but cops issue warning tickets all the time when they feel like one may be ignorant of the law. Seems like it'd be more conducive to make a point about enforcing the rules rather than assume everyone has every rule and possible breach thereof memorized.

              But, I'm sure a flat argument could be that it's not their responsibility to educate us as the rules are clearly posted for all to see.

              Either way, it circles back to enriching the community through education of the rules, maintaining integrity of at least informational threads and encouraging participation in the forums. Strikes me as illogical and petty.

              I'm all done thinking out loud on this - just gonna wait for a mod to swing by and take a moment to comment.

              Thanks
              Signature
              Often the difference between a successful person and a failure is not one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one’s ideas, to take a calculated risk – and to act.
              -Andre Malraux
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475537].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
                Originally Posted by entrprnr View Post

                just gonna wait for a mod to swing by and take a moment to comment.
                You've already had one mod give you a comment. But apparently you didn't notice.

                Here is a thread with links about why your thread may have disappeared:

                http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...appearing.html

                Bottom line: don't worry about it, don't take it personally, don't post threads about why your other thread disappeared, and do your best to keep posts in the right subforums.

                There is no ambiguity in the forum rules. The mods are overworked volunteers in a massive forum who often need to make quick decisions and are faced with an incredible amount of potential issues each day.

                They also sometimes make mistakes and are allowed to do so without having to explain themselves in followup threads.

                You're never going to get super specificity about "rules" so that someone can make a post like you did saying the rules don't prohibit soliciting affiliate links.

                You don't get to play lawyer and parse rules looking for loopholes, trying to make the rules as long and complicated as US laws and regulations.

                That is why there are moderators here to use their best judgment and experience to keep this a smooth running forum.

                .
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author entrprnr
    I wasn't aware I was taking it personally, but I'll take that as a hint that I unintentional misrepresented myself.

    You're right, I'll move on - I just wanted some feedback on the important matter of finding a quality host (besides the usual suspects, as I pointed out in the deleted thread).
    Signature
    Often the difference between a successful person and a failure is not one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one’s ideas, to take a calculated risk – and to act.
    -Andre Malraux
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475575].message }}

Trending Topics