However, I'd be lying if I told you that I wouldn't like to get back on time and teach myself a few things when I was just starting.
So here are the 5 things that I would teach myself. If I knew them when I was getting started I would have become a successful internet marketer much earlier than I did (I don't even like to think about what I would have made in the last year of high school with an extra $10K per month! ).
You will probably will find a lot of useful information by making some research on thsi forum, but here are my 2 cents:
* Choose between free and paid based on yourself, not advices - people are always talking about the differences between the free and paid traffic sources. However, this isn't a complicated choice for a beginner. Free traffic sources demand time, paid traffic sources demand money. Which one are you willing to invest, time or money?
* Don't create random campaigns - Pick a niche, then decide on what type of offers you will promote and then stick to it. In the beginning it's a lot easier to understand a specific market without spending a lot of money on testing if you don't change your niches and offers constantly.
* Follow something... not everything - It's easy to get distracted with so many products and courses out there, but don't let the brilliant sales copies that some marketers write take you out of your route. I do believe it's important for a beginner to have a plan to follow, so you can buy a product based on the traffic source and niche that you decide to use. However, don't buy many products covering different subjects or you may end up focusing on nothing.
* No, that's not easier than what you're doing - You will fail in the beginning. Not once, but several times. If you don't, then you're a freaking genius! After trying something multiple times and not getting the expected results you, as a human being, will feel frustrated. It's normal, but it cannot take you out of your path. When you get to this point you will think that other methods, traffic sources, systems, etc are easier than what you're trying to do. You will be wrong. Every method involves a learning curve and has its obstacles. The problem is that the sales pages usually don't cover this part. So stick to what you're doing, keep learning from your experiences and you will get there.
* You have a brain. Use it - You need to be able to think by yourself, have your own ideas and solve your own problems. A method is just an idea that someone else had and implemented successfully. However, each campaign is different, the obstacles are not always the same. Two different people using the same method may get very different results, so you need to be able to create solutions, not just look for them on a report.
I personally believe that in order to become a successful internet marketer everybody will have to learn these 5 things at same point.
The sad thing is that almost no one will learn them just by reading this post. They will understand what I'm saying and agree with me, but when they face a situation where they will have to implement one of these things 99% won't do what they know they should do. This is how we are.
So the purpose of this post is not to teach you the 5 things, but to show you that they exist and tell you to not give up, because you will succeed when you learn all of them.