Building Authority Site with Syndicated Content?

10 replies
Hello Guys,

Just want some suggestions is it ok if you dare to build site with just Syndicated but quality content from other sites...

What might be the major disadvantages or flaws for this idea? hmmm
#authority #building #content #site #syndicated
  • Profile picture of the author PatriciaJ
    I use syndicated content on all of my sites and haven't found any drawbacks. I also like to add good quality original content too.

    I don't think there are any disadvantages if you think about the visitor first who may be happy to find all of the information that they need and maybe with some differing viewpoints on one site rather than having to trawl the net.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4551829].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      The only disadvantage I see in using only syndicated content is that it may be difficult to attract organic links, at least in the beginning.

      As Patricia said, mixing syndicated content with your own high quality, original content is the way to go if you don't want to do it all yourself.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4551885].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        As Patricia said, mixing syndicated content with your own high quality, original content is the way to go if you don't want to do it all yourself.
        ^^^ This.

        I'd want to do this, myself, rather than using entirely syndicated content.

        Originally Posted by atwellpub View Post

        The forgivable & encouraging practice is to credit the source (dofollow not required) and excerpt the content to give incentive for them to continue onto the original source.
        It's sometimes done, I know, but it's wrong. It's not ok to do this without permission!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4551914].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author atwellpub
          What about the phrase and you all know it, "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission"?

          I agree it's the most gentlemanly thing to do (ask permission) if we are respecting all possibilities of offending someone; but if excerpting and crediting I see no foul in taking the liberty. And if it offends then C&D!

          Here's a good relevant article on excerpting. It raises the awareness that it could be a contention issue within the American online publishing industry. Is Scraping Excerpts Illegal After All? | Kikabink News - Internet Marketing News

          I like how it points out one of Aulstraila's laws referring to excerpting and crediting.

          By way of comparison, in Australia, the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) allows for ‘fair dealing’ in relation to a work which, among other things, permits extracts to be quoted for the purpose of reporting news in a newspaper, magazine or similar periodical, film, or broadcast (no mention of the Internet), as long as the author and title of the work is acknowledged.
          And should I have asked for permission?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4551982].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author PatriciaJ
          Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post


          It's sometimes done, I know, but it's wrong. It's not ok to do this without permission!
          ^^^ This.

          and most of us are not in Australia though with todays weather I wish

          I always think of syndicated content as content republished from article directories where the author is giving permission for you to use it providing you retain the links and don't alter it.

          Going back to the original question if you add videos, images and maybe your own introduction and thoughts to syndicated content pages you are creating a more unique page without altering the syndicated article.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4552031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author atwellpub
    Hello,

    From what I see,
    One disadvantage of going purely syndicated today is PPanda, which will challenge you're organic traffic unless you have a decent seo strategy along. Building a site like this is all about gaining and retaining readership. And you could completely offset loss of organic traffic with a good social media strategy.

    But ethically it's completely ok. The forgivable & encouraging practice is to credit the source (dofollow not required) and excerpt the content to give incentive for them to continue onto the original source. This promotes the channel you are syndicating from in more than one way.

    Not crediting and pulling full content is most-of-the-time illegal and in many ways unethical. That's just the way it is these days; but it really depends on context too.
    Pulling full content and crediting is risky because there are different ways the original content provider could view it. They could see it as beneficial or a breach of their rights to exclusiveness. And there are some who just don't care or would never know. Not everyone produces content for money, and it goes on to say that not everyone is protective of their content.



    Cheers,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4551877].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by atwellpub View Post

      Hello,

      But ethically it's completely ok. The forgivable & encouraging practice is to credit the source (dofollow not required) and excerpt the content to give incentive for them to continue onto the original source. This promotes the channel you are syndicating from in more than one way.

      Not crediting and pulling full content is most-of-the-time illegal and in many ways unethical. Pulling full content and crediting is risky but grey.

      Cheers,
      How much you pull and whether you give credit or not are not the issues.

      The issue is permission.

      If you don't believe me, try posting Disney content, even if you do give proper credit. The DMCA will hit you so fast, your site will shake.

      One more thing - the mere presence of an RSS feed is not the same as permission to use.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4551908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Serenity090
    I dont think panda updates have anything to do with syndicated content.

    Here is a case study....

    One site is fully built with syndicated content while the other with original content...And these states clearly show Uncle Panda has hit the site with ORIGINAL content harder than the other...This original content site has lost over 60% traffic since January.

    Site Comparison of mindpowernews.com (rank #53,015), increasebrainpower.com (#89,141) | Compete



    Regards...
    Signature

    Love the Humanity...:)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4552009].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PatriciaJ
      Originally Posted by Serenity090 View Post

      I dont think panda updates have anything to do with syndicated content.

      Here is a case study....

      One site is fully built with syndicated content while the other with original content...And these states clearly show Uncle Panda has hit the site with ORIGINAL content harder than the other...This original content site has lost over 60% traffic since January.

      Site Comparison of mindpowernews.com (rank #53,015), increasebrainpower.com (#89,141) | Compete

      Regards...
      I've got a tendency to agree with you there I've seen some very mixed results. I think the problem with syndicated content was crap syndicated content, but the results in your case may be down to another factor like some higher PR links to your syndicated content site
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4552050].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by atwellpub View Post

        What about the phrase and you all know it, "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission"?

        I agree it's the most gentlemanly thing to do (ask permission) if we are respecting all possibilities of offending someone; but if excerpting and crediting I see no foul in taking the liberty. And if it offends then C&D!

        Here's a good relevant article on excerpting. It raises the awareness that it could be a contention issue within the American online publishing industry. Is Scraping Excerpts Illegal After All? | Kikabink News - Internet Marketing News

        I like how it points out one of Aulstraila's laws referring to excerpting and crediting.



        And should I have asked for permission?
        I think we may have been talking about different things.

        When I think of getting my stuff syndicated, the site publishing it generally posts the entire article and resource box. This definitely should be done only with permission.

        You mention taking an excerpt and (I hope) linking back to the original. Done with some degree of moderation, I don't really have a problem with this. Of course, if the excerpt is everything but the resource box, that's a skunk of another stripe entirely. But I don't think that's what you are describing.

        And the saying is "it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission." Although it can be much cheaper in the long run to just ask permission.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4556777].message }}

Trending Topics