Why haven't you made a video product yet?

33 replies
I'm creating an ebook/video product and thought I would pose this question to the forum to see "why you (any of you) haven't made a video product yet?"

If you're not focusing your efforts on product creation, ok.

This question is for product creators or potential product creators who have not yet taken the plunge into video.

I would like all questions or problems you have with creating a non-IM niche video product.

I don't care if one person has 1 or 50 questions/problems, I would like to see them.

Before I finish up this project I want to be sure I have covered the things that people are most interested in. And not just the issues that had plagued me.

Are you camera shy, don't like being on camera?

Do you not like your voice?

Don't know what niche to start with...?

Again....I am looking for questions/problems in the Non-IM Niche Video Product creation arena.

Thank you
#creation #made #problem solving #product #questions #video
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    Because when I watch a video someone else has created I often find myself bored because they don't read fast enough. Or they don't teach as fast as I could learn by reading.

    I assume most people are like this, so for my one info-product I didn't create any videos. If I missed out on sales because of it? So be it. You can't please everyone.
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4558997].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      Because when I watch a video someone else has created I often find myself bored because they don't read fast enough. Or they don't teach as fast as I could learn by reading.

      I assume most people are like this, so for my one info-product I didn't create any videos. If I missed out on sales because of it? So be it. You can't please everyone.
      Right on ... well, mostly.

      I wouldn't say that I assume most people feel that way - I really don't know the score, in that regard - but I dislike video intensely enough, myself, that I refuse to get involved with it.

      Apart from that, I'm not a product creator, anyway - just an affiliate; but if I were, my products would not primarily be video based, and I'd completely leave it out of them wherever possible.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4560016].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      Because when I watch a video someone else has created I often find myself bored because they don't read fast enough. Or they don't teach as fast as I could learn by reading.

      I assume most people are like this, so for my one info-product I didn't create any videos. If I missed out on sales because of it? So be it. You can't please everyone.
      Too many who create video lessons do it without much pre-planning or scripting. Winging it leads to boring and IMO useless video lessons. However, a well-planned video lesson is a great product (and very profitable). Plus, it's easy to turn your script into a PDF transcript and include it with the video.
      Signature
      Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4560563].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MarkMOZ
        Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

        Too many who create video lessons do it without much pre-planning or scripting. Winging it leads to boring and IMO useless video lessons. However, a well-planned video lesson is a great product (and very profitable). Plus, it's easy to turn your script into a PDF transcript and include it with the video.
        Agree completely. I launched a few products that relied on video mostly and I've never written anything. I just pretend as if the student or the one who's watching is next to me and go with it, just being myself.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HarrisonJ
    You have to really know what you are doing to make video work. Text still works better for most people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4559000].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4559230].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OnlyTopResults
    Creating the video visual is fairly easy, using Powerpoint plus Camtasia to record the slides. The killer is usually the voiceover, too many people with AWFUL voices try to do this themselves. I have lost count of how many sites I killed within 30 secs of hearing the voiceover!
    Signature

    "Since light travels faster than sound - many people appear bright until they speak!"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4559997].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author VinnyBock
      Originally Posted by OnlyTopResults View Post

      Creating the video visual is fairly easy, using Powerpoint plus Camtasia to record the slides. The killer is usually the voiceover, too many people with AWFUL voices try to do this themselves. I have lost count of how many sites I killed within 30 secs of hearing the voiceover!
      LOL, this is whats stopping me, my Brooklyn accent is awful...

      I always say I'll start the video saying, "I know my Brooklyn accent is unporfessional, just try and FUGEDABOU-IT"!
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4560710].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PaulV
        Originally Posted by VinnyBock View Post

        LOL, this is whats stopping me, my Brooklyn accent is awful...

        I always say I'll start the video saying, "I know my Brooklyn accent is unporfessional, just try and FUGEDABOU-IT"!

        As far as products are concerned it still is great to have your own voice on there. Even if you have an accent that you think people would find bad.

        I've known of many people who launch products that are successful and have terrible accents that barely speak english. The key is to say something at the beginning about it and you can even say it in a joking way and people will totally understand.

        Remeber it's about selling you, so if you have a different accent that's ok, because it's still you.

        As long as you're being yourself, have a value to add and are confident in your methods you'll do just fine.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4562596].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Darren Dillman
          I agree Paul,

          Everyone has an accent. I remember being in Jersey a few years ago and they all thought I had an major accent.

          Valuable info is valuable info.
          Signature

          "The Harder I Work...The Luckier I Get"

          www.DarrenDillman.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4563195].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Des Lau
            Originally Posted by Darjon11 View Post

            Valuable info is valuable info.
            I agree. I have just started out doing videos for my affiliate campaigns, and testing out what works better and what doesn't.

            I'm usually not that confident expressing myself spontaneously through speaking, but with abit of careful planning and purpose, it does pay off.

            I have found that showing your face is most effective because people want to trust you and and know where this information is coming from. If you keep it short with good content = most effective.
            Second best is to use screen capture software with your voice, it's more personal and people want to see first hand what you are explaining.
            Personally I really dislike text videos with nothing more than abit of funky animation and music, it's cheesy and seems cheap to me
            Signature
            -----------------------------

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4563257].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author PaulV
            Originally Posted by Darjon11 View Post

            I agree Paul,

            Everyone has an accent. I remember being in Jersey a few years ago and they all thought I had an major accent.

            Valuable info is valuable info.
            Yeah exactly. The main point is to provide value. If you can do that, it doesn't matter how weird you may sound to people.

            Along with providing value, the other imporant thing you are doing when making a video is showing people who you really are. They will gain a deeper trust for you once they're able to link a voice to a face or to be able to actually hear to voice of the product creator who's information they've been reading and following.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4564620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Many people should stay far away from video for these reasons and more:

    They ramble endlessly without ever getting to the point. Some do this to make their videos longer feeling longer is better and that they can charge more for longer presentations.

    They don't have the skills necessary to produce a video people want to watch. That is, many have no clue as to what's important to include in a video presentation and what should be left out.

    Many don't have the voice, look or savvy to pull off a presentation people will want to watch. They come across as amateurs and end up hurting sales or future sales.

    There are lots more reasons but I think you probably get my drift. Producing video only for the sake of having a video product isn't smart and is the main reason there's so much video crap online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4560190].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darren Dillman
      This is excellent...I like all the problems you are sharing. Are these problems you have with niche related videos?



      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      Because when I watch a video someone else has created I often find myself bored because they don't read fast enough. Or they don't teach as fast as I could learn by reading.

      I assume most people are like this, so for my one info-product I didn't create any videos. If I missed out on sales because of it? So be it. You can't please everyone.
      I'll use an example of changing the brakes on a car.

      Would you consider video if this was your niche product AND it was easy to produce?

      I think with video it is easier to write an ebook on a subject if I am watching a video that I made of how to do the task. Even if you don't plan on selling the video as part of the ebook you can always use it to pull traffic from YouTube and other video hubs.

      Originally Posted by HarrisonJ View Post

      You have to really know what you are doing to make video work. Text still works better for most people.
      Exactly. That is why I would suggest to those interested in producing video that they do it on something they know well and/or enjoy.

      Even if you don't like doing something, would it be cool to make a video of how to do it for others who want to learn so you NEVER have to to it again? And make some steady income from it indefinitely?

      Originally Posted by OnlyTopResults View Post

      Creating the video visual is fairly easy, using Powerpoint plus Camtasia to record the slides. The killer is usually the voiceover, too many people with AWFUL voices try to do this themselves. I have lost count of how many sites I killed within 30 secs of hearing the voiceover!
      The first part about Powerpoint and Camtasia. I hear ya. For a long time I never new Powerpoint just because I didn't know how to use it well. Now I have a Mac and Keynote I assume is basically the same.

      I found a site that does tutorials on every detail of the basic programs for Mac plus some higher end software.

      It's called macProVideo.com if anyone with a Mac wants some expert instruction.

      Originally Posted by DireStraits View Post

      Right on ... well, mostly.

      I wouldn't say that I assume most people feel that way - I really don't know the score, in that regard - but I dislike video intensely enough, myself, that I refuse to get involved with it.

      Apart from that, I'm not a product creator, anyway - just an affiliate; but if I were, my products would not primarily be video based, and I'd completely leave it out of them wherever possible.
      What if video was key to your info product? Sure it could be done with text and pictures but what if you were showing proper release point to get the most distance while skipping a lure under that long pier to get at that fat smallmouth tucked up under there?

      I find it easier to explain how to do something as I am doing it not sitting and trying to remember every nuance or problem I have come across while writing a book or report. Except the video to text process I mentioned above.

      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      Many people should stay far away from video for these reasons and more:

      They ramble endlessly without ever getting to the point. Some do this to make their videos longer feeling longer is better and that they can charge more for longer presentations.

      They don't have the skills necessary to produce a video people want to watch. That is, many have no clue as to what's important to include in a video presentation and what should be left out.

      Many don't have the voice, look or savvy to pull off a presentation people will want to watch. They come across as amateurs and end up hurting sales or future sales.

      There are lots more reasons but I think you probably get my drift. Producing video only for the sake of having a video product isn't smart and is the main reason there's so much video crap online.
      The Ramble: This could be because they are nervous or it is their first video. Or they just don't know the product well enough.

      I don't have the voice or the savvy either. But, what if you were interested in, let's say....installing your own granite? Would it matter how I looked or sounded that much if I was delivering the information in detail in video from start to finish?

      As I said before, What If Video was crucial to your niche? What if you produced one that was better than anything else available.

      I agree, producing a video just for the sake of having one is not the ticket. But what if producing a video that is better than most will set you apart from the hundreds of other ebooks or websites on "How To Build a Birdhouse"? Or whatever your trying to teach about?

      These are all great...thanks again for sharing. More, more...I want more.

      BTW, I am most interested in problems with "real world" video, "how to", "hands on".....not so much "how to cloak links or something IM related".

      Just wanted to clarify.
      Signature

      "The Harder I Work...The Luckier I Get"

      www.DarrenDillman.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4560528].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
        Originally Posted by Darjon11 View Post

        What if video was key to your info product? Sure it could be done with text and pictures but what if you were showing proper release point to get the most distance while skipping a lure under that long pier to get at that fat smallmouth tucked up under there?

        I find it easier to explain how to do something as I am doing it not sitting and trying to remember every nuance or problem I have come across while writing a book or report. Except the video to text process I mentioned above.
        If video would be the most apt and convenient way of communicating a specific point/lesson, then so be it. I'd possibly welcome it in that case.

        You'd perhaps have to invest some good money into their production though, for them not to drag down the perceived overall quality of the product. In contrast, I think it's comparatively easy to nicely format an ebook and have someone design you a good cover, etc., if necessary.

        I could imagine outsourcing professional video production/editing to be much more expensive.

        It just seems that a number of vendors, these days, make video products simply because it's quicker or "easier" for them, or because they have crappy writing skills, or because they prefer it. They completely ignore how many of their prospects share their enthusiasm for it or can even "deal with it" at all. And their videos sometimes are none too professional-looking nor enjoyable to watch (and yes, the reasons for that can extend to a plain old lack of charm/charisma on the part of whoever "stars" in them, too. )

        I don't know what proportion of any given market shares my disdain for unnecessary video, of course (which is far more important than my or any other marketers' personal opinions, really), but there we have it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4560685].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
        Originally Posted by Darjon11 View Post

        The Ramble: This could be because they are nervous or it is their first video. Or they just don't know the product well enough.

        I don't have the voice or the savvy either. But, what if you were interested in, let's say....installing your own granite? Would it matter how I looked or sounded that much if I was delivering the information in detail in video from start to finish?
        If the presentation sucked, I'd leave. There's plenty of great info out there one doesn't have to suffer through. Being nervous or having it be their first video isn't the viewer's problem. This is marketing, business... Not nursery school.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561038].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Yogini
          Aside from very specific how to videos such as your example of brake pressure, I much prefer text and screenshots. I find the pace of videos is not what I like and one never knows where to go in video to find the points again. I much prefer text and images/screenshots. Or if someone has videos but it also has a pdf that is fine.

          The issues of accents or presentation doesn't really matter that much to me, but it is the issue of my time and not wanting to have to re-hear something if I can just find it again in a pdf by scrolling quickly.

          Debbie
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561063].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Darren Dillman
          Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

          If the presentation sucked, I'd leave. There's plenty of great info out there one doesn't have to suffer through. Being nervous or having it be their first video isn't the viewer's problem. This is marketing, business... Not nursery school.
          So, referring to my example...the fab and install your own granite. If another video series was done by someone who is at home in front of a camera but didn't give all the explicit details needed to do something like this project....you would prefer that one and possibly ruin the entire granite job?

          Than watch a video series of same by someone who knows the project backwards and forwards and who will give you all the details and problems you can expect in say 18+ hours of video start to finish...but is not a pro in front of the camera?

          This is business but, I would say the videos which gave the most value would be the best option.

          If you don't care for someone's voice couldn't you mute the video and follow along in the ebook?

          There is a ton of information on the net but, when I want to get something accomplished...building a deck, install granite, or what have you...I want the most information presented well that I can get for my money. And to be honest even if their voice sounded like Disney Chipmunks I think I could muddle through to get the knowledge I want to get my project done now rather than buy something else or many more and not get what I was looking for.
          Signature

          "The Harder I Work...The Luckier I Get"

          www.DarrenDillman.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561343].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
            Originally Posted by Darjon11 View Post

            So, referring to my example...the fab and install your own granite. If another video series was done by someone who is at home in front of a camera but didn't give all the explicit details needed to do something like this project....you would prefer that one and possibly ruin the entire granite job?

            Than watch a video series of same by someone who knows the project backwards and forwards and who will give you all the details and problems you can expect in say 18+ hours of video start to finish...but is not a pro in front of the camera?
            These are your words, not mine. You can invent any scenario you like to make your argument if that suits you. My point is very simple. I'm sick of video that sucks, regardless of the reason. Again, there's enough great material out there so I don't have to look at someone who doesn't know how to present. It's that simple.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561422].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Darren Dillman
              Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

              These are your words, not mine. You can invent any scenario you like to make your argument if that suits you. My point is very simple. I'm sick of video that sucks, regardless of the reason. Again, there's enough great material out there so I don't have to look at someone who doesn't know how to present. It's that simple.
              I was just asking a question, travlinguy. Not being combative. I wasn't trying to instigate anything. Just asking. And I agree there is a ton of info about IM but in many non IM niches there is not. Which is my primary focus of my book.

              If anyone here is primarily focused on creating products in the IM field then they wouldn't be interested in anything my book has to offer.

              But, if they create products about "real world" projects as I said before then I may be able to help in a few areas. There is more than one way to skin a cat....So to speak. I don't skin cats.
              Signature

              "The Harder I Work...The Luckier I Get"

              www.DarrenDillman.com

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561476].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
                Originally Posted by Darjon11 View Post

                I was just asking a question, travlinguy. Not being combative. I wasn't trying to instigate anything. Just asking. And I agree there is a ton of info about IM but in many non IM niches there is not. Which is my primary focus of my book.

                If anyone here is primarily focused on creating products in the IM field then they wouldn't be interested in anything my book has to offer.

                But, if they create products about "real world" projects as I said before then I may be able to help in a few areas. There is more than one way to skin a cat....So to speak. I don't skin cats.
                The only people whose opinions really matter are your prospective customers' and your affiliates', if indeed you're considering listing your product(s) somewhere like Clickbank.

                The only way you can find out what they think is to "try them". Ask or take a leap of faith. If you go the latter route, you're taking a risk.

                I know that as an affiliate I am terribly put off by video-only products. I'll promote ebook products with a video accompaniment/counterpart, but I don't much like membersips (which, quite often, have a very short average subscription lifespan anyway) or video-only products (unless it's a physical DVD with a professional presentation/production).

                I know this applies to a number of other informational e-product affiliates, too, who will at least prioritise ebooks over other product formats when considering what to promote, even if they won't dismiss video outright.

                You can tell yourself that customers or affiliates don't care or don't have a preference, but that may not be reflective of reality. Ultimately, in the end, what you think or hope won't help you much if you end up alienating either group.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561634].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Darren Dillman
                  Thank you

                  I decided to post here because I would think their are plenty of people who would like to make a video product, either stand alone or with an ebook, but, have not yet went down that road for 1 reason or many.

                  I would like this thread to stay focused on the problems and/or questions that others have with producing niche videos.

                  A good portion of the internet does like video, I know I do. I also like to be able to print out a pdf to read or audio for the iPod when I'm out.

                  There has got to be more specific problems that others are facing.

                  Also, I would assume that most who create how-to videos would include a pdf or sell the pdf and use the videos as an upsell. The pdf would also include your affiliate links for other products you recommend.
                  Signature

                  "The Harder I Work...The Luckier I Get"

                  www.DarrenDillman.com

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561723].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
                Originally Posted by Darjon11 View Post

                I was just asking a question, travlinguy. Not being combative. I wasn't trying to instigate anything. Just asking. And I agree there is a ton of info about IM but in many non IM niches there is not. Which is my primary focus of my book.

                If anyone here is primarily focused on creating products in the IM field then they wouldn't be interested in anything my book has to offer.

                But, if they create products about "real world" projects as I said before then I may be able to help in a few areas. There is more than one way to skin a cat....So to speak. I don't skin cats.
                I know you're not being combative. Didn't take it that way. Good luck to you.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ghostrecon
    I have created a few video products in my day that I coupled with an existing text and/or software product. I think video works extremely well, not only does it add value to your business but it can also enhance your sales page and search rankings (think Youtube).

    For an example of what I am talking about take a look at the page in my signature. Granted videos should be at least of decent quality, keep them interesting and don't speak with a monotonous tone.
    Signature

    PinPioneer.com - Proprietary Pinterest Marketing Software
    1000 Pins Uploaded PER Hour
    Use code: WFPioneer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4560562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Bill
    Bill Myers has an excellent series of DVDs on video product creation. I have them all and have used them to make my own video products. An excellent resource for anyone who is considering making a video product of any type.

    Who is Bill Myers? --> Just who is Bill Myers?

    His You Tube channel is also full of excellent video making tips --> http://www.youtube.com/user/guerillabill
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4560922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WriterWahm
    I generally hate video since I read the text much quicker. But I like the videos that Carrie Wilkerson brings out; they are usually short and concise.

    So why haven't I made any video products? I like my voice, but I'm nervous. I speak good English but I do not have an American or British accent. That does not matter as long as I'm understood but it adds to my nervousness.

    I work with work at home moms and they seem more comfortable with video but I have not been able to make that leap yet.
    Signature

    PM me if you want a romantic fiction ghostwriter.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561067].message }}
  • I use both video and written text because they both work. I try to appeal to most people in my niche because I know that not everyone can easily download and watch videos because of slow connections or other problems.

    I like to give them the option of either video or PDF or both.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4561539].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    I sell a nice $37 ebook on the front end and do very well with this.

    But I do videos as the upsell, and I found that people hate videos longer than 10 minutes when I did a survey. So yes, videos can do well, but peole hate siting there waiting for them to load with their hand on their head. Make them sharp snappy and get to the point. When i changed my videos to this style it helped emmensly.

    Just my two cents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4563307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darren Dillman
      Does anyone make a good amount of money with a flat price? No upsell on the backend for a big ticket item?

      I really don't have an upsell for this book and don't want to just throw some membership into the mix if it is not a good quality product in itself just to do the upsell that a lot people say you must do to make great money in this business.

      If it is truly a rinse and repeat process then why not just rinse and repeat multiple times.

      For me...an upsell doesn't mean squat unless it is going to make me money in short order. A lot of these $100/month membership sites are nothing more than more forums to rub shoulders with other people looking to make it big.

      I imagine somebody is going to ask "What is good money?"

      I think good money would be steady, consistent income of 3 to 5k per month. Job replacing income. Unless of coarse your job pays more than that.

      It may take a little longer without the big upsells but if you have a system or routine that works it would just be a matter of getting to work. And each time you rinse and repeat it would become easier and therefore faster.

      I realize videos can be an upsell but for me on this particular project I wouldn't feel good about charging extra for the video part when it is not critical that I include it but if I was the one purchasing it I would expect it to be included.



      Any thoughts?
      Signature

      "The Harder I Work...The Luckier I Get"

      www.DarrenDillman.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4563787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    Could it Be more than 15% of the world have a hearing impairment?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4564021].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
      I sell a video series in a non-IM market. I have foudn that 7-8 minutes is a pretty good length for the kind of video I do. Mine are scripted, with adlibbing, not just outlines like many of the webinar kind of videos.

      Webinars are a different kind of vidoe, but every once in a while I find a video product for sale where the person is using webinar format (more off the cuff, and not tightly scripted). Those I don't like, and I have a tendence to not watch them.
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4564112].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Reed7
    Great question - I like VDO, however after seeing all the attempts made by many, and its a difficult art, to get dialed in to work, many aren't very effective. A written-text version is always requested its seems.
    I think most everyone wants to read the detailed information, and review at least 2-3 times to get the point burned in, and not miss any thing. Now the pros, in many cases really have a great natural script down to a science, and most effective, don't waste your time, pull you thru, make a clear point, etc. Overall the text, is always a solid way to deliver information, provide value to anyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4564305].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author marknel
      Given that YouTube is the second most visited site after Google ,there is no doubt that video marketing is beneficial.The last time I dropped working on my video was when I could not insert clickable links.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4564557].message }}

Trending Topics