25 replies
Alright I want to know what the motive is of someone posting this comment on my website.

Author : Marden (IP: 64.135.85.11 , ptr.host.net)
E-mail : lara.andrade@bbcr.com.br
URL : Bing
Whois : http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/64.135.85.11
Comment: There's a screet about your post. ICTYBTIHTKY

Their URL leads to bing??? i've had doezens like that over the past 24 hours is there a new thing that I am missing? Will they come back and re edit the post once I have approved it. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?:confused::confused::confused:
#blog #commenting
  • Profile picture of the author Shawn Darlin
    In my opinion, the person is blasting thousands and thousands of blogs with comments like that. The purpose is to check if the comments are auto-approved or not.

    So say you approve it, and his software detects that, then he'll start commenting on your blog with his websites links.

    The purpose is to gain backlinks, obviously. This is totally black*hat and against Google. The site might rank for awhile, but it'll get deindexed eventually.

    The advice I can give you is, never approve shady comments like that. It'll only end up hurting your website.

    Shawn.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4593212].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sandrasims
      Originally Posted by Shawn Darlin View Post

      In my opinion, the person is blasting thousands and thousands of blogs with comments like that. The purpose is to check if the comments are auto-approved or not.

      So say you approve it, and his software detects that, then he'll start commenting on your blog with his websites links.

      The purpose is to gain backlinks, obviously. This is totally black*hat and against Google. The site might rank for awhile, but it'll get deindexed eventually.

      The advice I can give you is, never approve shady comments like that. It'll only end up hurting your website.

      Shawn.
      Agreed.

      I delete those right away.

      The best comment spam wordpress plugin I have used is Spam Karma. It hasn't been updated in awhile but still works with the most recent version of WP. I use it on all my blogs.
      Signature
      Sandra Sims

      Established marketing services website - view my Flippa website auction here!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4643999].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YanKirby
    Im torn between two sides here. I am an avid scrapebox user and a blog owner as well. Being in the middle of it, I am inclined not to approve comments like that.

    Its obviously to get backlinks off your blog.

    Would suggest passing on approval.

    Hope this helps.

    -Yan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4593877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    you would be correct, its just automated spam.

    If I ever found the guys that do this to my blog, they probably wish they were never born. lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4593985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author showmack
    Wordpress have a default comments approval system. As soon as you approve someone's comment he will be eligible to post as many as comments and wordpress never stop them for moderation.

    They seems spammers who are posting such comment for approval only. As soon as you will approve their comment they will start spamming(This is my thoughts only). You can change wordpress settings so that it will ask you each time before making any comment live.

    Hope I have helped!

    Originally Posted by electronik69 View Post

    Alright I want to know what the motive is of someone posting this comment on my website.

    Author : Marden (IP: 64.135.85.11 , ptr.host.net)
    E-mail : lara.andrade@bbcr.com.br
    URL : Bing
    Whois : http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/64.135.85.11
    Comment: There's a screet about your post. ICTYBTIHTKY

    Their URL leads to bing??? i've had doezens like that over the past 24 hours is there a new thing that I am missing? Will they come back and re edit the post once I have approved it. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?:confused::confused::confused:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author electronik69
    Thanks for that, I'm not against blog commenting myself but at least make it a valuable comment to the post.
    Signature
    If it doesn't sell, it isn't creative - David Ogilvy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carolynccourtney
    Blog comment on that part of the overall package positioning of your competitors are doing, so you have to do the same to stay on top, it is also something you could outsource, but if you do outsource, make sure you find someone you trust .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594165].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samual james
    its automated spam to check whether blog is auto approved or not
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594195].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author matt5409
    this sort of stuff makes me sick. google has definitely fallen on it's own sword by ranking so heavily on incoming links. and now it has an absolute tonne of spam to fight off everyday because of it... *sigh*
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594388].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rowanman28
    Google no longer places any importance on spam blog comments, and they may even punish you for doing it, especially if you're using software. Think about it, if the comments are auto-approved, the site will be spammed to death. If they stick, they'll be an irrelevant, dodgy link, and if they don't stick, (like comments are removed after a certain number are posted), then they will disappear, giving you negative link velocity. It's crap, and personally, I don't allow comments on my site at all.
    Signature
    Social Media Marketing Services
    Custom Facebook page design, Facebook Ads management, Facebook likes, Twitter followers, Google Plus, Instagram, social sharing, SEO, content production, video production, whatever you want.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594531].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author matt5409
      Originally Posted by rowanman28 View Post

      Google no longer places any importance on spam blog comments, and they may even punish you for doing it, especially if you're using software. Think about it, if the comments are auto-approved, the site will be spammed to death. If they stick, they'll be an irrelevant, dodgy link, and if they don't stick, (like comments are removed after a certain number are posted), then they will disappear, giving you negative link velocity. It's crap, and personally, I don't allow comments on my site at all.
      it's a shame that it's come to this though - and it IS Google's fault. If there were no ranking value in blog commenting (which these still is, to some degree), nobody would comment for the hell of it. the web would be a much quieter place, but what was there would be of significantly higher quality.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594542].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
      Originally Posted by rowanman28 View Post

      Google no longer places any importance on spam blog comments, and they may even punish you for doing it, especially if you're using software. Think about it, if the comments are auto-approved, the site will be spammed to death. If they stick, they'll be an irrelevant, dodgy link, and if they don't stick, (like comments are removed after a certain number are posted), then they will disappear, giving you negative link velocity. It's crap, and personally, I don't allow comments on my site at all.
      Purely out of curiosity, is there any chance you can show me some form of proof to back up what you say about Google disproving of 'spam' blog comments? I mean what constitutes a spam blog comment?

      Google isn't really in a position to decide whether a blog comment is spam or not.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4644222].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zannix
        I'd just delete that, but it's funny that it's leading to bing o_O
        Signature
        All you can do is all you can do - Art Williams
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4644332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chuckwells
    It is autobot spam to see if comments are auto approved. make sure you have a captcha plugin for comments to slow down these kind of comments.

    I am considering disabling comments on my site too. As most of the comments are irrelevant plus they consume a lot of time just top manage them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brian Terry
    If a comment doesn't clearly add value to the post I've written it automatically gets deleted.

    The comment you've had is clearly spam, I would just mark it as that.

    If you're using Askismet other comments like this should be blocked and you'll never see them.

    It's still good to be aware of spammer tactics. Ultimately they fail.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4594985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author electronik69
    I have a captcha plugin but not akismet as I don't really have enough interaction on my blogs to use it to its full potential.
    Signature
    If it doesn't sell, it isn't creative - David Ogilvy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4595253].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alan Ashwood
      Originally Posted by electronik69 View Post

      I have a captcha plugin but not akismet as I don't really have enough interaction on my blogs to use it to its full potential.

      THink again.
      One of my newer blogs has only had a handful of visitors and commenters (my fault), however, Akismet has blocked 3000+ spammers!

      Cheers
      Alan
      Signature
      Now where did I put that pencil?

      Time for a cuppa.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4643233].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4618057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RatRaceWatch
    Welcome to the world of filtering comment spam, I get quite a few everyday, that I mark spam. And of course the messages keep getting weirder and stupider everytime :0, sigh... it can be a pain.
    Signature
    At Manifest Income our mission is to Help You Build A Business That Matches Your Passion.

    We offer: Free Business Plans, Web Design, Online Marketing Training, Mentorship, & Support!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4618159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevenjacobs
    Banned
    It is to check if autoapprove or not. It. Is spammy black hat seo. Never use it because google will screw your site
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4618184].message }}
  • I get those, too, of course.

    If you hate blog spam, stand against those who use Scrapebox and other tools to trash your blog. Don't buy their Fiverr gigs and tell everyone you know they're bad apples.

    Don't just install Akismet (which is no longer free); shame the spammers.

    fLufF
    --
    Signature
    Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
    Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4643546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jworks
    I'm writing an article right now that explains everything you need to know about blocking blog spammers and hackers. My wordpress blog was hacked twice so I learned how to protect them. And you can block scrapers and other bots with htaccess. Am I allowed to drop a link here when I'm done?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4643585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author emmndi
    This are spam comments, delete to avoid hurting your site
    Signature

    backpacking in Kenya http://kenyatalii.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4644111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author owenlee
    ohh spam...i will just block them man!!...sometime is kind of feeling argggg when you see such comments...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4644542].message }}

Trending Topics