[Google Vid] Tweaking the Algorithm: Google reveals Sandbox and more -

9 replies
If you didn't see the story, it's worth looking at:
Tweaking The Algorithm: Google Gives A Small Peek Behind The Curtains | TechCrunch

"Google has given a quick video walk-through detailing how its engineers gradually adjust the algorithm, which -- according to the video -- gets tweaked more than 500 times per year."

Official Google Blog: Another look under the hood of search

Also, a glimpse inside their offices!
#algorithm #google #reveals #tweaking
  • Profile picture of the author guitarjosh
    Originally Posted by MaxReferrals View Post

    If you didn't see the story, it's worth looking at:
    Tweaking The Algorithm: Google Gives A Small Peek Behind The Curtains | TechCrunch

    "Google has given a quick video walk-through detailing how its engineers gradually adjust the algorithm, which -- according to the video -- gets tweaked more than 500 times per year."

    Official Google Blog: Another look under the hood of search
    GREAT share!! And.... the "Sandbox" is confirmed!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4595927].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Miranda
      Originally Posted by guitarjosh View Post

      GREAT share!! And.... the "Sandbox" is confirmed!
      Nice share for us. thx
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4596021].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Miranda
    After watching the Google video I don't think the sandbox is what everyone 'thought' it to be like I have always said. Google said itself that the sandbox is just that... a safe box they put certain 'results' into for testing. Of course we don't know details or what ranking signals 'trigger' it but I don't think it means what everyone has though it means. It does not appear, after watching the video, that the sandbox is some type of negative penalty for new site or sites that build links too fast in competitive keywords.

    It is pretty clear to me ,from the video, that the sandbox is used for live experiments.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4596088].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author guitarjosh
      Originally Posted by Steven Miranda View Post

      After watching the Google video I don't think the sandbox is what everyone 'thought' it to be like I have always said. Google said itself that the sandbox is just that... a safe box they put certain 'results' into for testing. Of course we don't know details or what ranking signals 'trigger' it but I don't think it means what everyone has though it means. It does not appear, after watching the video, that the sandbox is some type of negative penalty for new site or sites that build links too fast in competitive keywords.
      Agreed. Although it makes sense that if you're going to do split testing, you would use new sites and not highly established, mature ones. So.. maybe that's why new site owners are typically the ones complaining about the sandbox.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4596122].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Miranda
        Originally Posted by guitarjosh View Post

        Agreed. Although it makes sense that if you're going to do split testing, you would use new sites and not highly established, mature ones. So.. maybe that's why new site owners are typically the ones complaining about the sandbox.
        That is a great point. New sites may be getting into the 'sandbox' more often because of their split testing. It does not appear it is some type of negative thing toward your site. At least that is what I get our of Google explaining it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4596203].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Slightly off-topic, but did anyone else notice the quick shot of Cutts in the 'approval discussion', even though they didn't let him talk?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4596485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaxReferrals
    What I learned was the use of "reviewers" or independent people, to compare side-by-side results.

    So there is a human factor at work, at least when tuning the results prior to update rollouts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4596164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bojan_Djordjevic
    It's a good video, totally worth a watch.

    People need to stay tuned to the information about SEO if they own websites. It's one of the crucial things for developing online business. Critical advice for newbies.
    Signature

    Social media, androids, mobile marketing, PRODUCTIVITY http://www.bojandjordjevic.com http://alphaefficiency.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4596418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Originally Posted by MaxReferrals View Post

    If you didn't see the story, it's worth looking at:
    Tweaking The Algorithm: Google Gives A Small Peek Behind The Curtains | TechCrunch

    "Google has given a quick video walk-through detailing how its engineers gradually adjust the algorithm, which -- according to the video -- gets tweaked more than 500 times per year."

    Official Google Blog: Another look under the hood of search

    Also, a glimpse inside their offices!
    And this is just one reason why I've suggested for over a decade to NOT use an exact SEO formula for your pages and instead use a mix of every reasonable possibility.
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4597093].message }}

Trending Topics