40 replies
Hello Warriors,

First off, I will admit it. I'm lazy.

I've been in this "IM game" for 5 years now and have never really seen any kind of money from it. I know many of you would still consider a person like that to be a "newbie" and I wouldn't disagree with you.

Earlier this year, I tried to get more serious about building a business and even joined a mastermind group for a monthly fee. Then I got into not one, but two car accidents.

While I was okay, dealing with insurance companies while working my full-time J.O.B., while trying to figure out how to get to that J.O.B., while trying to figure out if I can afford a new car... blah blah blah... excuses. Point being that I've pretty much dropped off the face of the earth as far as IM goes. And stupid me is STILL paying that monthly membership for something I'm not even using.

So today starts a new initiative.

I'm unsubscribing from all my internet marketing newsletters. I'm going to buckle down and focus on building a business. I'm at the point in my life where I am sick of working for "the man" and want the freedom that IM will give me.

I have reasonable expectations.

I *know* I will not be able to quit the day job any time soon.

I *know* this will take hard work, time, and dedication.

I *know* I need to stay FOCUSED.

I *know* I need a plan.

What I don't know is where I would like to start. I've done (really dabbled - see lazy and lack of focus):
  • Article Marketing
  • Blogging
  • CPA
  • PPC
  • And probably a host of other things, none to much success

What I really need is a kick in the pants and an action plan. I mean an actual strategy. A daily checklist of do this, then this, then this. Rinse, repeat, rest. I do NOT want to trade time for money. That means that even though I'm technically inclined, I don't want to build websites for hire, or write articles, or do backlinking for other marketers, or any of that. To me, that means I've just changed my boss, but am still in a J.O.B.

With that in mind, yesterday I learned about the Chris Farrell Membership site that comes highly regarded here. It's something like $37/month, I believe. Funny enough, today I got an email from Mike Filsaime about a new program Chris is starting that's $997 or 3 "easy" payments of $300+. Look, I have a little bit of expendable cash, but not that much. Honestly, I'm not sure what the main differences are between the two of his programs. I don't need free hosting for a site, as I've already got that. $37/month is only $10/month more than the mastermind group membership fee that's currently going to waste, so that's doable.

Also the 30 Day Challenge (now The Challenge) just started up again, and that's free. I believe they both have completely different strategies, but the ultimate goal is the same - to make your first $1 online. I've done it in year's past and never had any success with it, though. That's not the say it doesn't work, just that I couldn't get it to work for me, so I'm guessing I was doing something wrong.

One thing I haven't ever done is build a mailing list. I know, I know, for shame. The Money Is In The List, they say. The problem is, I never really stick around with anything long enough to focus on building up that list and more importantly, building relationships with customers.

I'm not ADHD, but sometimes I feel that way. Call it Analysis Paralysis, Information Overload, whatever. I used to go out and buy every shiny new thing the gurus are pawning. I've stopped that. Next step is to unsubscribe to everything like I mentioned earlier. After that, plan, focus, build.

Ultimately I would like to build an online business that will make me my own boss. I don't want to be rich. Okay, well maybe I do, but I would be happy just being comfortable. I'm just really lost on how I want to get there. I guess I would like to have an information product business that's evergreen. Something I can set and forget (eventually) and focus on my family and enjoying life, not stressing over it.

I know a lot of folks have said go where the competition is, because that's where the money is. Others say go with your passions because you will be living and breathing your niche every day. One of my problems is that I don't feel I have a driving passion in anything. Sure, I have a few hobbies. Most of them include computers (I'm a Systems Administrator by trade), photography, video games, and that's about it. I have no desire to be an authority in fitness, or relationships, or pet training (though I do love my dog like he's a son.) How do you pick a niche when you just aren't into anything THAT much?

So, the whole point of this long-winded thread is this:

If you had nothing but a tiny bit of seed cash, passion to make this work, where would you start? What would you do? What would you do next?

Please, be specific. I don't mean, "Pick a niche, throw up a squeeze page, drive traffic to it, sell an affiliate product, replace with your own better product, profit."

That's too simplified. I want specifics. I need hand-holding. I want someone to help me figure out what I personally need to do to be successful. I know that's a difficult question because everyone is different. Hell, it's the question I've been struggling with for the past 5 years.

All My Best,
LM
#starting
  • Profile picture of the author webapex
    One of the guys doing the Internet Mastery Podcasts talked about attending a couple of IM related meetups a week in NY. These guys talk a lot about organization and mind set.

    The ideal thing might be to hook up with a local mastermind group, if you could be so lucky. Sometimes the most valuable part of a mentoring program is accountability, having to explain why you did or didn't accomplish things each week. You could start up your own meetup.com group for like $15/mo.
    Signature

    “An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field” Niels Bohr

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4673620].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
      Originally Posted by webapex View Post

      One of the guys doing the Internet Mastery Podcasts talked about attending a couple of IM related meetups a week in NY. These guys talk a lot about organization and mind set.

      The ideal thing might be to hook up with a local mastermind group, if you could be so lucky. Sometimes the most valuable part of a mentoring program is accountability, having to explain why you did or didn't accomplish things each week. You could start up your own meetup.com group for like $15/mo.
      I've never heard of Sterling and Jay before. It looks like they have a successful IM business for IMers.

      Ideally a mastermind group wouldn't be bad. My problem is that I'm already in one and am never around the same time the other guys are. I'm also afraid of the whole WIIFM factor - nobody is going to give you the secrets to their success for free. I don't think anyone is that altruistic that they would help you out because they've "been there too." It's something to keep in mind, I guess. Thanks for the response.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4673674].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Miguelito203
    Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

    Hello Warriors,

    First off, I will admit it. I'm lazy.

    I've been in this "IM game" for 5 years now and have never really seen any kind of money from it. I know many of you would still consider a person like that to be a "newbie" and I wouldn't disagree with you.

    Earlier this year, I tried to get more serious about building a business and even joined a mastermind group for a monthly fee. Then I got into not one, but two car accidents.

    While I was okay, dealing with insurance companies while working my full-time J.O.B., while trying to figure out how to get to that J.O.B., while trying to figure out if I can afford a new car... blah blah blah... excuses. Point being that I've pretty much dropped off the face of the earth as far as IM goes. And stupid me is STILL paying that monthly membership for something I'm not even using.

    So today starts a new initiative.

    I'm unsubscribing from all my internet marketing newsletters. I'm going to buckle down and focus on building a business. I'm at the point in my life where I am sick of working for "the man" and want the freedom that IM will give me.

    I have reasonable expectations.

    I *know* I will not be able to quit the day job any time soon.

    I *know* this will take hard work, time, and dedication.

    I *know* I need to stay FOCUSED.

    I *know* I need a plan.

    What I don't know is where I would like to start. I've done (really dabbled - see lazy and lack of focus):
    • Article Marketing
    • Blogging
    • CPA
    • PPC
    • And probably a host of other things, none to much success

    What I really need is a kick in the pants and an action plan. I mean an actual strategy. A daily checklist of do this, then this, then this. Rinse, repeat, rest. I do NOT want to trade time for money. That means that even though I'm technically inclined, I don't want to build websites for hire, or write articles, or do backlinking for other marketers, or any of that. To me, that means I've just changed my boss, but am still in a J.O.B.

    With that in mind, yesterday I learned about the Chris Farrell Membership site that comes highly regarded here. It's something like $37/month, I believe. Funny enough, today I got an email from Mike Filsaime about a new program Chris is starting that's $997 or 3 "easy" payments of $300+. Look, I have a little bit of expendable cash, but not that much. Honestly, I'm not sure what the main differences are between the two of his programs. I don't need free hosting for a site, as I've already got that. $37/month is only $10/month more than the mastermind group membership fee that's currently going to waste, so that's doable.

    Also the 30 Day Challenge (now The Challenge) just started up again, and that's free. I believe they both have completely different strategies, but the ultimate goal is the same - to make your first $1 online. I've done it in year's past and never had any success with it, though. That's not the say it doesn't work, just that I couldn't get it to work for me, so I'm guessing I was doing something wrong.

    One thing I haven't ever done is build a mailing list. I know, I know, for shame. The Money Is In The List, they say. The problem is, I never really stick around with anything long enough to focus on building up that list and more importantly, building relationships with customers.

    I'm not ADHD, but sometimes I feel that way. Call it Analysis Paralysis, Information Overload, whatever. I used to go out and buy every shiny new thing the gurus are pawning. I've stopped that. Next step is to unsubscribe to everything like I mentioned earlier. After that, plan, focus, build.

    Ultimately I would like to build an online business that will make me my own boss. I don't want to be rich. Okay, well maybe I do, but I would be happy just being comfortable. I'm just really lost on how I want to get there. I guess I would like to have an information product business that's evergreen. Something I can set and forget (eventually) and focus on my family and enjoying life, not stressing over it.

    I know a lot of folks have said go where the competition is, because that's where the money is. Others say go with your passions because you will be living and breathing your niche every day. One of my problems is that I don't feel I have a driving passion in anything. Sure, I have a few hobbies. Most of them include computers (I'm a Systems Administrator by trade), photography, video games, and that's about it. I have no desire to be an authority in fitness, or relationships, or pet training (though I do love my dog like he's a son.) How do you pick a niche when you just aren't into anything THAT much?

    So, the whole point of this long-winded thread is this:

    If you had nothing but a tiny bit of seed cash, passion to make this work, where would you start? What would you do? What would you do next?

    Please, be specific. I don't mean, "Pick a niche, throw up a squeeze page, drive traffic to it, sell an affiliate product, replace with your own better product, profit."

    That's too simplified. I want specifics. I need hand-holding. I want someone to help me figure out what I personally need to do to be successful. I know that's a difficult question because everyone is different. Hell, it's the question I've been struggling with for the past 5 years.

    All My Best,
    LM
    Hey, Little Mike. In terms of a place to start, I would recommend creating a niche blog or blogs. First, everyone who makes real money online has one, and there is a ton you can do with them--like building a list. :-) They are a long-term business model. The income is also residual, which personally helps to motivate me, I started out writing, which I didn't like because you have to write way too much for my taste to make any decent money. A niche site takes far less writing, and after you get a system down, you can type directly from your head, so it doesn't take that long.

    Aside from all the earning potential a niche blog has to offer, the second reason I recommend it to you is because you seem like the person who needs success to motivate you. With the holidays coming up, there are going to be tons of opportunities to make good money--especially in the video game niche! :-) In addition to video games, you can cross promote game systems and related products, which don't come cheap, which means bigger commissions and faster results! I hope you're getting happy inside. :-)

    As for a training program, I recommend Unstoppable Affiliate by Andrew Hansen and Josh Stanton. They use a realistic and straightforward approach to teach you everything you need to know so you can get up and running ASAP. Most importantly for you, they also offer an optional coaching program that you can choose to take part in. Now is the time to get going! Think of it like this. If you do nothing, you are certain to stay in the same position you are now, but if you take a leap of faith and go for it, and it could change the course of your life. For me, there is only one option: to succeed.

    Good luck,
    Joey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4674224].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author louie6925
      to the OP, you sound the perfect person to do a review for me for an upcoming WSO! PM me if interested!
      Signature
      Feel free to chat if you live in the UK I may have something for you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4674345].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
      Originally Posted by Miguelito203 View Post

      you seem like the person who needs success to motivate you.
      Joey, you hit the nail on the head. I understand success doesn't come overnight, but at the same time, I need to at least see *results* to keep my motivation up.

      Two quick questions, though. If my ultimate goal is to be a business owner, why would I go into affiliate marketing and make money for the other guy? Wouldn't it be better to be a product owner?

      Second, how would you monetize a video game niche blog? Or would that be like for example the World of Warcraft Zygor's Guide ebook/software? That totally makes sense, then, but it would have to be pretty game specific, not the genre entirely. Microniche, even.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4677703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Focused Action
    As mentioned above - Unstoppable Affiliate and Chris Farrell are two great sources to learn how to build a successful internet business. Pick one and the TURN OFF every other source of internet marketing news - i wish i had!! If success is a blueprint, and both Andrew & Chris are successful, then it reasons to follow exactly what they teach and become active in their forums.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4675146].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
      Originally Posted by Focused Action View Post

      As mentioned above - Unstoppable Affiliate and Chris Farrell are two great sources to learn how to build a successful internet business. Pick one and the TURN OFF every other source of internet marketing news - i wish i had!! If success is a blueprint, and both Andrew & Chris are successful, then it reasons to follow exactly what they teach and become active in their forums.
      I think you said something key right there - turn off everything else. Browsing WF all day is not taking action. Reading ebooks/training is not taking action either. It's good to learn, but at the end of the day, you learn more by doing. I think you're spot on with that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4677715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mary Wilhite
    LOL, the answer is very clear. You have a knack for writing. Start there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4675159].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
      Originally Posted by Mary Wilhite View Post

      LOL, the answer is very clear. You have a knack for writing. Start there.
      Mary, first thank you for the kind words. Personally I think I'm a terrible writer, but I'm my own worst critic. Could you be more specific, though? I do NOT want to trade time for money writing for other people.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4677729].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mary Wilhite
        Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

        I do NOT want to trade time for money writing for other people.
        Ah, I see, well you can create products. I assume you know something about internet marketing already.

        Why not create products for the complete beginner. You won't be making MMO products but something that takes them by the hand and guide them on the basic things. Like setting up a blog, list building, keyword research.

        There's one lady here who posted a thread here who said she don't know how to upload a salespage.

        So there's probably a market out there for a beginners guide. Maybe you can go and apply your writing skills in that area.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683282].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
          Originally Posted by Mary Wilhite View Post

          Ah, I see, well you can create products. I assume you know something about internet marketing already.

          Why not create products for the complete beginner. You won't be making MMO products but something that takes them by the hand and guide them on the basic things. Like setting up a blog, list building, keyword research.

          There's one lady here who posted a thread here who said she don't know how to upload a salespage.

          So there's probably a market out there for a beginners guide. Maybe you can go and apply your writing skills in that area.
          Hi Mary,

          Gotcha. But isn't the IM niche one of the hardest niches to make work unless you are already successful? Why would someone view me as an authority when I have no proven track record? My knowledge is one thing, proving that to others is another.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonl70
    I've done review sites..
    I've done content sites..

    nothing made as much money for me as list building.
    Signature

    -Jason

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4678243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suellen Reitz
    Hi Little Mike,
    Just from what little I see in your writing, your main problem is lack of confidence in yourself. Everything starts with you. If you portray confidence and self belief, it will show in your efforts in all areas of your life.

    So the question is.. how to get that when you've hit the wall a few times and had the wind knocked out of your sails?

    I see you are a war room member. I recently put up a post for an mp3 on revitalizing your self belief as a successful internet marketer. This 33 minute audio first takes you through very relaxing stretches to ease tension and stress. Once your body is relaxed, your brain can absorb the remaining 17 minutes of positive affirmations directed specifically to your subconscious level mind. These thoughts will cause your mind to start acting in the way that your subconscious mind already believes to be true because each statement is made in the present tense. It's not you will be successful as an internet marketer... but rather... you are...

    If you would like to down load it in the war room... just look for my thread! Good luck in your new start. Already you are on the right tract.

    Suellen
    Signature
    Want great tips on how to increase your sales through facebook? Get your free video training with 4 great videos now...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4678479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Courtney Keene
    I think the first thing to do is stop buying products. Stop signing up for membership sites. Stop letting yourself be sold. You're coming here, in essence, to be sold again. You want someone to give you a method you can get excited about that you can hopefully stick with this time.

    I know that sounds harsh, but I'm speaking from experience, as someone who absolutely loves devouring information. I've looked into so many different methods in the past just for the purpose of educating myself. It's great when you're already making money from something and wanting to expand, but in your situation I think you just need to get out there and really see what motivates you.

    You responded to the gaming niche idea. Do you like gaming? There was a thread here recently (that I agree with) stating that it's not always wise to follow your passion, but gaming is a pretty lucrative, evergreen market. And it does indeed pick up steam around the holidays.

    If gaming is a hobby you enjoy, then you no doubt understand the frustrations. In the case of World of Warcraft, folks like Zygor originally made their millions solving a problem common to a lot of WoW players: Leveling was tedious and they wanted to do endgame content with their friends.

    Start your niche site. Work for somebody else (as an affiliate, for an example) for a bit if only because you can learn from them. See what problems they're solving. See how they're solving those problems. Take a genuine interest in the customers that have those problems.

    Then identify another problem or another way to solve it and create your own product! Start on this literally as soon as you get your idea. Make an outline. I read your post all the way through, so you're obviously a competent writer. Go that route if you wish, or find something else you can market that will solve a problem.

    In the end, I think that's what it will take to give you what you want. Just understand you're still answering to a B.O.S.S. for that J.O.B. Only the hardass is you, and you need to make sure you're getting your act together and making this a reality for yourself.

    Best of luck,
    Courtney

    (And if you do have a genuine interest in the gaming niche and World of Warcraft in particular, shoot me a PM and we'll talk. I've worked in this particular niche for a long time and could probably answer some questions for you.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4678525].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chalalan121
    just believe in yourself man i know you will get the job done. i had the same problem too but right now i am doing fine.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4678640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
    jasonl70 - I totally agree that money is in listbuilding. It's a market you can sell to over and over again because they are proven buyers.

    Suellen Reitz - I don't think it's a lack of confidence at all. I CAN do this. It's a matter of WHAT, and of HOW to go about it. I need focus and a plan more than anything else. I do appreciate the help, though. Thank you.

    Courtney Keene - I think I love you. Haha. I have stopped buying, though! I mentioned that earlier. No more products for me unless it specifically fits into my business plan, which I don't have yet. I too am a gamer and a geek, in no specific order, and if you think video games are an evergreen niche, then I would love to explore that avenue. I am sending you a PM now.

    chalalan121 - thank you for the vote of confidence. I appreciate it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4678680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author koreancowboy
      Wow...what a wake up call.

      Save for a few details, this is me in a nutshell. Thanks for posting this, it's refreshing to see that someone else is going through the same thing that I am.

      I'm kinda in the same boat now, but am getting ready to launch a few blogs myself (tech/tech gadgets that are "Mac-centric", niche group coupon deals, and my true passion, dating and relationships).
      Signature

      I provide consulting for companies that use Adobe AEM...you can check out what I've done so far.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tmill
    I have been in IM for about a year now (have done some stuff in it a few years back) and it gets very frustrating when you work at something for months and see barely any progress.

    My main focus is learning SEO and promoting products I find online. The better my sites get ranked the more money I am starting to see.

    Sadly, amazon shut down their affiliate program in california right after I started about 10 websites for amazon products it is said that it is supposed to come back, but I haven't heard anything else on this yet.

    Anyways, keep at it and don't give up. The more time you put into something, the more it will make you in the end. I just started a niche blog myself on affiliate marketing and I know it won't maybe anymore then a few bucks a month for at least 6 months, but when I have put enough work into content and SEO, I will see it picking up greatly.

    Most on the things online take a long time to get going, but once they do its great!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jimmynastic
    Try an alternative like comming up with a site ,you will work hard on it for the first few minths and from there you will be earning seated.
    This is great for the lazy like us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683503].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DominiquePrentiss
    Hey LittleMike,

    With just a little bit of seed money to work with, I'd pick a desperate niche where people are hunting solutions on a daily basis. I'd find a solution to their problem, and then write a short report on how to solve their problem.

    And don't limit yourself to the internet. Head out to the library is you need to find solutions. I do it all the time.

    I personally write short reports and sell them really cheap. It works like magic and people are anxious to join my lists.

    You can always find problems that need solving.

    You already know you need a domain name, hosting company, and an auto-responder. All of which you can get really cheap for the first month.

    Once you have picked a niche, go on a hunt for some good PLR in that niche and then rewrite it.

    And then there's traffic. I do just about anything free to get traffic. You can have a great offer, but if you have no traffic, then it's dead in the water.

    Do it all...article marketing, video marketing, social bookmarking, blog talk radio, press releases, etc...the more you do, the more people will see your offer and the greater the chances are that you will make some money.

    Find a great sales letter to model and use it as a basis for your own. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683534].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
      Originally Posted by DominiquePrentiss View Post

      Hey LittleMike,

      With just a little bit of seed money to work with, I'd pick a desperate niche where people are hunting solutions on a daily basis. I'd find a solution to their problem, and then write a short report on how to solve their problem.

      And don't limit yourself to the internet. Head out to the library is you need to find solutions. I do it all the time.

      I personally write short reports and sell them really cheap. It works like magic and people are anxious to join my lists.

      You can always find problems that need solving.

      You already know you need a domain name, hosting company, and an auto-responder. All of which you can get really cheap for the first month.

      Once you have picked a niche, go on a hunt for some good PLR in that niche and then rewrite it.

      And then there's traffic. I do just about anything free to get traffic. You can have a great offer, but if you have no traffic, then it's dead in the water.

      Do it all...article marketing, video marketing, social bookmarking, blog talk radio, press releases, etc...the more you do, the more people will see your offer and the greater the chances are that you will make some money.

      Find a great sales letter to model and use it as a basis for your own. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.
      As much as I appreciate input, I have to ask, did you read what I wrote? I've done article marketing, blogging, CPA, PPC, etc. None of it has worked for me and I want to pursue other things that don't require me to trade time for money.

      With all due respect, your response sounds like a generic intro to IM and not an answer to my question at all.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683692].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author danr62
        Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

        As much as I appreciate input, I have to ask, did you read what I wrote? I've done article marketing, blogging, CPA, PPC, etc. None of it has worked for me and I want to pursue other things that don't require me to trade time for money.

        With all due respect, your response sounds like a generic intro to IM and not an answer to my question at all.
        So, you want somebody to hand you a silver bullet that will work without you having to spend your time working on the method?

        That's what it sounds like you're saying to me.

        You will always have to trade time for money, at least initially to get things started.

        If you want passive income, you have to work to get there first. You have to trade your time to get it off the ground.

        Either that or hire people to do the work for you.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683807].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
          Originally Posted by danr62 View Post

          So, you want somebody to hand you a silver bullet that will work without you having to spend your time working on the method?

          That's what it sounds like you're saying to me.
          Absolutely not. If you read my original post, I said I'm not afraid to work. For MYSELF, not for others.

          Originally Posted by danr62 View Post

          You will always have to trade time for money, at least initially to get things started.

          If you want passive income, you have to work to get there first. You have to trade your time to get it off the ground.

          Either that or hire people to do the work for you.
          That's a matter of perspective. I could say you never ever stop trading time for money, even if you hire others out, you still need to manage them, pay them, consult with them, etc.

          But you're on to something with the hiring.

          What I meant by trading time for money is for hire work. I'm not going to freelance, I mean. Obviously you have to build or buy to get going. I realize that. That's not what I meant. I hope that's clearer.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683923].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author danr62
        Sorry for the confusion. I was commenting directly on what you said here:

        Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

        As much as I appreciate input, I have to ask, did you read what I wrote? I've done article marketing, blogging, CPA, PPC, etc. None of it has worked for me and I want to pursue other things that don't require me to trade time for money.

        With all due respect, your response sounds like a generic intro to IM and not an answer to my question at all.
        You say you've tried it all. Then without taking a breath you say that you want to different things that don't require you to trade time for money.

        You'll excuse me if that sounds like you want someone to hand you a new method that you haven't tried before that will work without effort.

        I'm not trying to pick a fight or get you down. I'm trying to highlight the fact that there are no silver bullets. Those methods that didn't work for you do in fact work.

        Responding to someone who is suggesting you try these methods (again and with more focus and consistency) by saying that it "sounds like a generic introduction to IM and not an answer to my question at all" shows that you don't understand something very essential to your success:

        These are the fundamentals of this business. The fundamentals, applied again and again and practiced to just a basic level competency are what will get you results. Not some new secret method.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4684126].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
          Originally Posted by danr62 View Post

          Sorry for the confusion. I was commenting directly on what you said here:



          You say you've tried it all. Then without taking a breath you say that you want to different things that don't require you to trade time for money.

          You'll excuse me if that sounds like you want someone to hand you a new method that you haven't tried before that will work without effort.

          I'm not trying to pick a fight or get you down. I'm trying to highlight the fact that there are no silver bullets. Those methods that didn't work for you do in fact work.

          Responding to someone who is suggesting you try these methods (again and with more focus and consistency) by saying that it "sounds like a generic introduction to IM and not an answer to my question at all" shows that you don't understand something very essential to your success:

          These are the fundamentals of this business. The fundamentals, applied again and again and practiced to just a basic level competency are what will get you results. Not some new secret method.
          I understand what you're saying. I was responding to what Dominique was saying:

          With just a little bit of seed money to work with, I'd pick a desperate niche where people are hunting solutions on a daily basis. I'd find a solution to their problem, and then write a short report on how to solve their problem.

          That's pretty much the textbook definition of what internet marketing is. I've been around for about 5 years, so I would hope I would have picked up a few things at least. Especially what IM is.

          Then Dominique said this:

          And then there's traffic. I do just about anything free to get traffic. You can have a great offer, but if you have no traffic, then it's dead in the water.

          Do it all...article marketing, video marketing, social bookmarking, blog talk radio, press releases, etc...the more you do, the more people will see your offer and the greater the chances are that you will make some money.

          Her post sounded like, okay you need market research, traffic, conversion and product. Again, isn't that the definition of internet marketing?

          You do make a good point, though. It's not that those methods didn't work, they just didn't work for me. There are two routes I can go with that - try them again with more focus and determination like you said, or try outsourcing those methods. I did say I could spend a little to make a little. If I paid someone to do the article marketing, the blog commenting, link building, etc. That would allow me to devote more time to the marketing end and not the grunt work.

          With that said, again, I'm not afraid to work. But I need to stay *interested* Mindlessly writing 100 articles to get 100 backlinks will kill any desire I have.

          Unless anyone has any additional thoughts on that?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4684573].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thepinoycoder
    Find a task that freelancers would love for a certain amount. Find a buyer that would pay you an amount that is larger that what the freelancers are looking for. Merge this two and put yourself in the middle. Don't let the freelancers see your main clients. If people would pay you $5 to draw them a caricature, find some freelancer from a different country who will do that at a lower rate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

    I do NOT want to trade time for money. That means that even though I'm technically inclined, I don't want to build websites for hire, or write articles, or do backlinking for other marketers, or any of that. To me, that means I've just changed my boss, but am still in a J.O.B.
    I was at first going to recommend that you start providing a service as it is an extremely viable business opportunity. Then I read that you don't want another JOB.

    Unfortunately, starting a business is a JOB--a tough one at that. There are many people on these very forums that do BIG business providing a service for other marketers. I'm sure when they first started it was like a JOB. Doing the actual work, building up a client list, and marketing their services.

    Eventually you begin to outsource the actual "work" part, and you stop "trading time for money."

    You can also broker a service, which completely removes you from the "work equation" however you'll be sacrificing some of your profit to do so.

    Of course you could always create a product or be successful with affiliate marketing, which are two extremely viable options for internet marketing. Each has their own quirks and I personally love affiliate marketing--however, like before, work will be required--to the point that it may feel like a JOB.
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683662].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Newbie Japan
      Hi

      It is hard to admit that "starting over" is the next best option. My wife asked me for months, almost daily, "When is this thing going to start making you money?" Pressure plus alpha, right?

      I, for one, am greatly encouraged by your attitude to go back to square one, when that is what needs to be done.

      I agree with your idea of making a clear, easy to follow (any-kind-of) training for the newbie.

      We newbies have to stop the training videos and do the play/pause, play/pause several times to find where the trainer has dragged their mouse (at near the speed of light) and clicked on two or three areas which often open two or three windows of stuff we have not yet been introduced to yet.

      ( Gurus should not be training Newbies. :confused: ) Newbies with a good understanding of the steps (from their new success with the steps) should be the ones teaching Newbies, in my newbie opinion.

      Carry on my brother.

      If you come out with a Newbie Training of some kind, post it so we Newbies can support your efforts and benefit from your clear instruction.

      Hope to see it some day soon.

      Arigato,

      Newbie Japan
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683822].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 36burrows
    You also need that BURNING desire inside that you'll succeed at all costs. No matter how difficult or how many roadblocks you encounter, NOTHING will stand in your way of success. You need to feel this passion burning inside every waking moment, always thinking about new ways to improve your business.

    It's not going to happen being lazy, it's just not going too. This is a long-term thing and without this burning desire, the flame will run out before you start seeing results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebPen
    I think its interesting that you say you don't want to trade time for money.

    There are a number of people on the WF that offer a service and are making a killing.

    Sure you're kind of switching who your boss is, but you always need to be doing work for someone.

    -If you're an offliner, it's your clients
    -If you're a product creator, it's your affiliates and customers
    -If you're an affiliate, its the product owner and customers
    -If you're the President of the United States, its the citizens (and lobbyists....)
    -If you're a CEO, President, etc. of a company, it's the stockholders...

    You pickin up what I'm puttin down?

    I understand that you want a passive income stream where you don't have a "boss"

    But you always have to be working for someone to some extent

    Anyways, as far as a step-by-step action plan.

    There are tons of them out there, but maybe you should find someone you can JV with. You do some work for them, and they coach you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4683930].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
      Originally Posted by Justin Stowe View Post

      I think its interesting that you say you don't want to trade time for money.

      There are a number of people on the WF that offer a service and are making a killing.

      Sure you're kind of switching who your boss is, but you always need to be doing work for someone.

      -If you're an offliner, it's your clients
      -If you're a product creator, it's your affiliates and customers
      -If you're an affiliate, its the product owner and customers
      -If you're the President of the United States, its the citizens (and lobbyists....)
      -If you're a CEO, President, etc. of a company, it's the stockholders...

      You pickin up what I'm puttin down?

      I understand that you want a passive income stream where you don't have a "boss"

      But you always have to be working for someone to some extent

      Anyways, as far as a step-by-step action plan.

      There are tons of them out there, but maybe you should find someone you can JV with. You do some work for them, and they coach you.
      See my previous comment, but I think you understand - I didn't say I didn't want to work. I said I didn't want to trade time for money. I want to be a business owner, not an employee. Doing work for hire to me is trading time for money. Like you said, I want a passive income. You will *always* be trading time for money or the opposite every day of your life. Do your own laundry? Time for money. Take it to the cleaners? Money for time. That's never going to change.

      I don't look at one thing you said the same, though. Clients are the lifesblood of the business, but they aren't the boss. You are your own boss. You just have to make sure that your business is inline with what the customer wants to pay for.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4684077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Copeland
    Here is what I would do with little money and the fact you can write well, whether you think you can or not

    Unfortunately everything takes a little time to start with but then you can outsource really early on and take this out of the equation if you wish...

    1. Sign up to Imnica Mail as this is the cheapest reliable autoresponder I have used (only my opinion)
    2. Join some CPA companies
    3. Find a niche that has a problem, there are plenty of people showing how to do this online but if you really aren't sure then ask
    4. Buy a (fairly generic) domain name based around the niche, can be a .info if money is really tight
    5. Set up a squeeze page on the new domain
    6. Set up the list so that when someone registers on your domain they are redirected to a page with a relevant CPA offer on it
    7. Write articles around your niche/problem with your domain in the resource box as the solution
    8. Join and submit to article directories
    9. Keep writing articles and submitting them
    10. Invest any money you make into getting articles written
    11. Sell to your list with relevant offers

    Repeat... repeat...

    This is only one way I would do this and although the steps are all there I may have missed something as doing this while waiting for my dinner to cook and answering the kids homework questions lol! But hope it gives some ideas!
    Signature

    Unleash Your Awesome - Pocket Ace Promotion

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4684368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

    If you had nothing but a tiny bit of seed cash, passion to make this work, where would you start? What would you do? What would you do next?
    You're a computer guy. Sell computer services. Particularly on the server side.

    Specifically...

    Sell WordPress plugin and theme configuration along with installation of drip-feed articles for people.

    Now, pay attention here, because this is important.

    Raise your prices bit by bit until your client base is reduced to a tiny few people who are making serious money.

    Look at what they are doing.

    By this time, you are an expert in all the technical stuff that needs to be done for this to happen. And some of them will happily share their writers and designers and whatnot, so you can outsource what you don't know how to do.

    Basically, you'll get paid to learn their business. Start with what you know and let the clients teach you how it fits into making real money.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4684470].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      You're a computer guy. Sell computer services. Particularly on the server side.

      Specifically...

      Sell WordPress plugin and theme configuration along with installation of drip-feed articles for people.

      Now, pay attention here, because this is important.

      Raise your prices bit by bit until your client base is reduced to a tiny few people who are making serious money.

      Look at what they are doing.

      By this time, you are an expert in all the technical stuff that needs to be done for this to happen. And some of them will happily share their writers and designers and whatnot, so you can outsource what you don't know how to do.

      Basically, you'll get paid to learn their business. Start with what you know and let the clients teach you how it fits into making real money.
      Hey Caliban! Good to see you around.

      I want to steer away from the service end of things, though, and move towards the information product end. With software installations, it would still feel like a JOB. Writing an ebook on how to drip-feed content to a blog and including essential plugins and instructions on how to install them... well that sounds more like the angle I would rather take.

      I'm a bit unsure of what you mean by learning what they are doing - in case I wanted to branch out into other niches/business models? What am I learning exactly? You said let them teach me how it fits into making real money. Isn't that what I'd be doing in offering them a service?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4684651].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
        Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

        I'm a bit unsure of what you mean by learning what they are doing - in case I wanted to branch out into other niches/business models?
        It's not "in case." This is the entire point.

        You're not offering the service for the money. You're offering the service so you can see how THEY make money. You're using the skills you have as a "foot in the door" so you can look over their shoulder and see what they do with your skills that makes your work worth what you charge.

        When I started out on the Warrior Forum, I wrote for 1.5 cents a word - $7.50 per 500 word article. Once I got a good, solid handle on how to write well for marketing clients, I kicked my prices up to 3 cents a word. Then 4 cents. Then 5 cents. And so on.

        As my prices went up, the way I packaged my services changed - ultimately, instead of "by the word," I started packing up bundles of 5,000 words for $500. And in the process of moving into that, my clientele went from article marketers to bloggers to product authors.

        Then I walked away from all that and went full-time product creation. But before I could do that, I had to learn what was involved and how to make it work.

        You're trading your time for the money AND for the education in how to make a bigger profit from that time. Sure, you get paid $150 to configure the plugins on this guy's blog. What does he do with that blog after you're done? How is it worth $150 to him for you to configure the blog? Where does he get his profit?

        Because your clients, especially as your prices rise, are not trading time for money. And if you want to learn how to make that happen with the skills you've got, start paying attention to what people are doing when they hire you to provide those skills.
        Signature
        "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4684801].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jasonl70
          Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

          jasonl70 - I totally agree that money is in listbuilding. It's a market you can sell to over and over again because they are proven buyers.
          while a buyers list is certainly nice, just a plain old list of people who opted-in for a freebie is gold as well.

          Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

          Hi Mary,

          Gotcha. But isn't the IM niche one of the hardest niches to make work unless you are already successful? Why would someone view me as an authority when I have no proven track record? My knowledge is one thing, proving that to others is another.
          you don't always need to position yourself as an expert. For instance, you can build a "bonus" site, seo'd (or ppc) for popular products. You get the affiliate commision, plus you build a list

          Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

          As much as I appreciate input, I have to ask, did you read what I wrote? I've done article marketing, blogging, CPA, PPC, etc. None of it has worked for me and I want to pursue other things that don't require me to trade time for money.

          With all due respect, your response sounds like a generic intro to IM and not an answer to my question at all.
          I think you are being a bit hard on her. Her "generic intro to IM" is what she does to be successful - doing what you hope to do. I've done very well with basic, generic things. Once that's working for you, then you can tweak using ideas from the latest "shiny object" of the month.

          Maybe I am reading into what she said, but she really seemed to click with my own observations.

          My primary business is making money via email marketing..

          ppc, seo, "article marketing" - that's not a business, they're marketing/traffic techniques... tactics... just various methods of ultimately getting someone to an opt-in page and onto to my email list.

          I think a lot of people fail because they try various tactics willy-nilly, with no real concept of an underling business... no real over-arching "big idea".

          In your case, I'd consider developing some sort of freebie in a decent niche. Then I'd use everything you've learned with your experience in ppc, article writing, etc, and use all of that to build a list of people in that niche.. then promote some affiliate products to your list. After a while, you'll see what topics/solutions sell's well to your traffic - make your own solution, and promote IT instead of the affiliate product.

          It doesn't need to be "list building" - the idea is to just structure your idea's and your efforts into something that is "big picture", then just put your puzzle together using the various pieces (seo, etc).

          lame analogy: I really want to go 200mph.. I've tried tires, engines, and a lot of other things and just can't seem get anything to work (behind them is a garage full of nothing but parts accumulated over years). Successful person: I built a car this summer using tires, an engine, etc., and eventually got it to hit 200mph.
          Signature

          -Jason

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4685398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danr62
    This is where someonel like Alexa Smith or Bill Platt or Paul Uhl will jump in and talk about doing article syndication marketing.

    I myself am going to start applying what they are preaching very soon.

    The idea here is not to write 100 articles mindlessly so you can get 100 backlinks. For most keywords, 100 backlinks from article directories will do almost nothing for your serps.

    The idea is to write long (1000 word) articles that talk about the niche (no selling in the articles) that are informative and engaging. Post these to your site. Get them indexed. Post them (no spinning or rewriting) to EzineArticles, GoArticles, and ArticleBase.

    If you keep writing good, helpful articles that are also entertaining to read, other webmasters and ezine publishers will start to republish them from these article directories. You can also contact some webmasters or ezine publishers and ask them to publish your articles as well.

    These sites already have targted traffic. So, they read your article on a site they already like and trust which offers them solutions to their problems and BAM! you're in.

    And forget about duplicate content. Google might hide the articles from the serps that are indexed after your own article on your own site is indexed, but the goal isn't to get traffic from the serps (unless it's to the one on your own site). The goal is to get traffic from the republished articles on already established sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4684711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
    @danr62 - I understand. You're talking about using the articles as leverage to building a fan base. If you are loved and trusted, people will buy on your recommendations. Makes a lot of sense.

    @Caliban - Excellent idea. So use my existing skills to not only learn others, but get paid to learn other skills. Sounds like an idea that would allow me to clean up as well as enrich my knowledge, which is always good. Thank you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4685077].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasonl70
      Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post

      @danr62 - I understand. You're talking about using the articles as leverage to building a fan base. If you are loved and trusted, people will buy on your recommendations. Makes a lot of sense.
      truth be told - while nice, I've made plenty of money not worrying at all about being "loved and trusted".

      The beauty of using a pen name and not being in love with a niche (and creating multiple lists in the same niche by just swapping out the opt-in code) - you can expirement with things w/o your ego getting in the way.

      You can treat one list with kid gloves, hammer another, just go through the motions using plr with yet another, hard sell, soft sell, mail daily, mail weekly,etc..

      guess what?

      They ALL can make money (with real world results often running counter to what most people think/teach/etc).

      what I've learned is this: don't get so hung up on being an expert, building a relationship, etc, that you end up either in analysis paralysis or giving up before starting. Just do it - and refine/test your techniques as you go.
      Signature

      -Jason

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4685609].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LittleMike
        Originally Posted by jasonl70 View Post

        truth be told - while nice, I've made plenty of money not worrying at all about being "loved and trusted".

        The beauty of using a pen name and not being in love with a niche (and creating multiple lists in the same niche by just swapping out the opt-in code) - you can expirement with things w/o your ego getting in the way.

        You can treat one list with kid gloves, hammer another, just go through the motions using plr with yet another, hard sell, soft sell, mail daily, mail weekly,etc..

        guess what?

        They ALL can make money (with real world results often running counter to what most people think/teach/etc).

        what I've learned is this: don't get so hung up on being an expert, building a relationship, etc, that you end up either in analysis paralysis or giving up before starting. Just do it - and refine/test your techniques as you go.
        You've given me some interesting things to think about, Jason. I've never thought much about using a pen name. I've always just put my own name on anything I've done. I guess I'm too honest for my own good

        Definitely interesting about segregating lists within the same niche, though. You can split test an approach. I have lots to think about. But hopefully not think too much and start doing, instead
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4686247].message }}

Trending Topics