Why is my amazon site not converting?

by thedog
19 replies
I've an amazon site that's getting on average 80 visits a day.

All the entrence keywords are buying keywords, ie, reviews, best, consumer reports etc...

However, I'm just not converting sales... at about 2.5%... This number's including another amazon site, that's getting about half the traffic.

Should I be looking into split testing or something?

Here's a link to one of my amazon sites, my main site is the same look and feel, can I get some feedback? How would I make this convert better.

Sport Camera Reviews - Consumer Complaints And Feedback On The Latest Sports Cameras

It has a 50% bounce rate.

Thanks.
#amazon #converting #site
  • Profile picture of the author caskofdregs
    Hey there, I had a look and in your reviews there are 'Buy From Amazon' links peppered throughout the article. I don't think that works very well in getting clickthroughs. From what worked for me I'd suggest these changes:

    - Change those links in favor of a final paragraph, titled something like "Where to buy _______" and do a little bit of pre-selling with why Amazon is a good place to get the product - they need a reason to want to buy from Amazon! (free shipping, etc.)

    OR

    - Add short excerpts of customer reviews of the product at the end of the article - then have a link that says "Click here to see more customer reviews for _____" that worked for me too!


    Another point to note:

    I'd use more than just one image of the product per article. In each review I usually have 3 or 4 pictures, and a video if I can find one. Link the images to your affiliate link, I find that helps too.


    Good luck!
    Signature

    "
    There is neither this world, nor the world beyond, nor happiness - for the one who doubts.”

    Bhagavad Gita
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4690286].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thedog
      Originally Posted by caskofdregs View Post

      Hey there, I had a look and in your reviews there are 'Buy From Amazon' links peppered throughout the article. I don't think that works very well in getting clickthroughs. From what worked for me I'd suggest these changes:

      - Change those links in favor of a final paragraph, titled something like "Where to buy _______" and do a little bit of pre-selling with why Amazon is a good place to get the product - they need a reason to want to buy from Amazon! (free shipping, etc.)

      OR

      - Add short excerpts of customer reviews of the product at the end of the article - then have a link that says "Click here to see more customer reviews for _____" that worked for me too!


      Another point to note:

      I'd use more than just one image of the product per article. In each review I usually have 3 or 4 pictures, and a video if I can find one. Link the images to your affiliate link, I find that helps too.


      Good luck!
      Good advice, thanks. I used to use a link to customer reviews, but amazon kept stripping out my affiliate link... I'll see if it work now, that was a few months back.

      I like the end paragraph idea, cheers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4690317].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cottonking2000
      Originally Posted by caskofdregs View Post

      Hey there, I had a look and in your reviews there are 'Buy From Amazon' links peppered throughout the article. I don't think that works very well in getting clickthroughs. From what worked for me I'd suggest these changes:

      - Change those links in favor of a final paragraph, titled something like "Where to buy _______" and do a little bit of pre-selling with why Amazon is a good place to get the product - they need a reason to want to buy from Amazon! (free shipping, etc.)

      OR

      - Add short excerpts of customer reviews of the product at the end of the article - then have a link that says "Click here to see more customer reviews for _____" that worked for me too!


      Another point to note:

      I'd use more than just one image of the product per article. In each review I usually have 3 or 4 pictures, and a video if I can find one. Link the images to your affiliate link, I find that helps too.


      Good luck!
      I would agree with you. Too many buttons can be confusing. But honestly, 80 people is not much per day
      Signature
      Need 100's or 1000's of New customers a month? Watch this video. ADT Video Kuggaa mobile product Busicall.com inventor/programmer top tech products demo.com 199.99 for 15 month subscription Money back guarantee if not satisified! Email me for more info. I have customers getting over 6,555 Calls, emails, hits, direction requests and more a month!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706424].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thedog
        Originally Posted by cottonking2000 View Post

        I would agree with you. Too many buttons can be confusing. But honestly, 80 people is not much per day
        Cheers for the feedback... my traffic has shot up, I mentioned this a few posts above... 335 visitors last Friday.

        I think there's definitly days of the week when traffic spikes... the middle of the week to Friday I think.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cooler1
    Maybe its due to the time of year as its getting closer to winter, less people are buying underwater cameras?

    Although the 80 visits /day traffic suggests people are inquiring.

    The reviews are a bit short. I suggest going into more detail about some of the cameras features. Also as suggested above, explain to them why Amazon is the best place to purchase the product from and include some more in-text links to Amazon throughout the review. Also i think having a Buy Now button would stand out more than a Buy Now text link.

    I think September is a slow month for sales. I've noticed quite a decrease in clicks recently.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4690447].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thedog
      Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

      Maybe its due to the time of year as its getting closer to winter, less people are buying underwater cameras?

      Although the 80 visits /day traffic suggests people are inquiring.

      The reviews are a bit short. I suggest going into more detail about some of the cameras features. Also as suggested above, explain to them why Amazon is the best place to purchase the product from and include some more in-text links to Amazon throughout the review. Also i think having a Buy Now button would stand out more than a Buy Now text link.

      I think September is a slow month for sales. I've noticed quite a decrease in clicks recently.
      Quite the opposite actually... the product I'm targeting has great traffic this time of year, leading up to christmas.

      Last Friday was my best day, 335 visits to my home page!

      I'm starting to impliment changes suggested here... hopefully they make a difference.

      Thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706352].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
    I have these suggestions:

    1. Make the title of the reviews on homepage clickable.
    2. I need to get a feel of the camera, before I decide on buying it. Add a couple of pictures more to each review.
    3. Use the reviews from Amazon, and place them on the review pages. That is just a killer!!

    Karan
    Signature
    Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
    Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
    ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
    karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diegan
    If you see improvement, please share the info, it's great to see "case studies" develop
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706510].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thedog
      Originally Posted by Diegan View Post

      If you see improvement, please share the info, it's great to see "case studies" develop
      Will do... I'm implimenting these on my main site by the way, I only gave the sport camera one as an example... that was more of a guinee pig site.

      It's gas how changing a buttons colour, location.. adding or removing pics can really effect conversion.

      Some great suggestions allready... I've implemented quite a few, so I'm gonna keep an eye on my conversions.

      One thing I've noticed is, the top 2 reviews on the homepage get the most clicks.... funny how people just stay at the top of a site... maybe I'll include more slides in the homepage slider, advertising other popular products that are well bellow the fold.

      I hope I can get it completly optimized soon, as the next 4 months are cannon ball run.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706608].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PLRExpress
    I tend to find that more images on the page (images with affiliate links) tend to give me higher conversions. People end up clicking the links thinking that they will get a larger picture, I think.

    Also, I tend to find that having a video at the bottom of the page helps a little because people actually end up watching the video and not reading my content if I place it above. I used to notice quite a good % of my visitors were leaving to YouTube after watching the video so now my video goes right at the bottom of the page.

    I would also work a few more affiliate links into the text as well. That tends to work better for me than the Buy From Amazon style of link.

    Nice site though! I hope it does well for you! :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706544].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thedog
      Originally Posted by NathanDevlin View Post

      I tend to find that more images on the page (images with affiliate links) tend to give me higher conversions. People end up clicking the links thinking that they will get a larger picture, I think.

      Also, I tend to find that having a video at the bottom of the page helps a little because people actually end up watching the video and not reading my content if I place it above. I used to notice quite a good % of my visitors were leaving to YouTube after watching the video so now my video goes right at the bottom of the page.

      I would also work a few more affiliate links into the text as well. That tends to work better for me than the Buy From Amazon style of link.

      Nice site though! I hope it does well for you! :-)
      Cheers dude, as for people heading off to youtube after watching your video... I'd suggest the following.

      Use the Youtube link button I'm using on this page, Sport Camera Reviews - ContourHD 1080p Full HD Helmet Sport Camera | Sport Camera Reviews Sports Cameras Reviews

      Lets you stick a button on your youtube clip... good for affiliate links. The only draw back is, when the user returns, the video is replaced with gobledegook.

      But, I think it's a nice feature.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706586].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kaivearn
    Your articles are tacky. Check Price on Amazon plastered at the end of every paragraph makes your affiliate site appear less professional. Try implementing a BUY NOW button, rather than just asking people to check prices on amazon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706576].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thedog
      Originally Posted by kaivearn View Post

      Your articles are tacky. Check Price on Amazon plastered at the end of every paragraph makes your affiliate site appear less professional. Try implementing a BUY NOW button, rather than just asking people to check prices on amazon.
      I wouldn't say the articles themselves are tacky, but rather the overuse of links to amazon.

      I was following a wso I bought on here... this point has come up a bit, so I've taken them out... not from this site, but the one I'm concered with.

      Thanks for the feedback.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Murlu
    A lot of it will really be about web traffic but in terms of conversions, always make sure that you're making your pictures clickable, use the classic 'read the reviews' as a link (since people want to learn more but may not be ready to buy - that gets the Amazon cookie), and consider listing alternatives in the event that someone doesn't have enough money to buy the specific product - give them options.

    Wrote a pretty lengthy thread on Amazon Associates a while back: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...learned-2.html
    Signature

    PLRArticlesNow.com - Niche-Ready PLR Articles Packs at just $12.95 each!

    Murlu.com - Where I write about starting an online business and taking your blog to the next level.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706623].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thedog
      Originally Posted by Murlu View Post

      A lot of it will really be about web traffic but in terms of conversions, always make sure that you're making your pictures clickable, use the classic 'read the reviews' as a link (since people want to learn more but may not be ready to buy - that gets the Amazon cookie), and consider listing alternatives in the event that someone doesn't have enough money to buy the specific product - give them options.

      Wrote a pretty lengthy thread on Amazon Associates a while back: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...learned-2.html
      I used to include a link to reviews... but then I noticed that my id was being stripped... I'll try and put it back in and see if it works.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ngtoncretia
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706659].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bamstk090
      Originally Posted by ngtoncretia View Post

      I think September is a slow month for sales
      lol,,,

      try other themes like this Hot Smartphones
      i got 1% conversion
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706687].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author supershoesclub
    I think you should adjust the every post with a clinkable totle in the homepage part. and you also should put the photos in the article body for a detailed instruction.After you set up the whole online problems, I think you also join some relevant forums and blogs to post some comments there for extra huge traffic.once your traffic is up,you will get more sales surely.
    Signature
    http://www.tomorrowbags.com
    ----Choose your favorite fashion .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author femkeshe
    Perhaps a foolish question but:
    - was only the conversion to sales bad and the clickthrough to amazon good or
    - was the clickthrough to amazon bad to begin with and so the sales conversion naturally bad too?

    I would think there is a difference in how to solve the problem then?

    And did the solutions help?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4761470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    What youre getting here are suggestions. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, however you'd be much better of analysing factual data.

    In order to gain access to this data, there are 3 tools you can try/use.

    1. Google analytics.

    You MUST be monitoring your traffic, best performing keywords, and goals. I cant stress the importance of this enough. GOALS GOALS GOALS, and of course CONVERSION RATES!

    Google Analytics | Official Website

    2. Google Optimizer

    Should you be split testing? Answer - ABSOLUTELY! Split testing should be ongoing, until you're happy with your conversion rates. Google optimizer is a very easy and efficient way of split testing the performance of various pages.

    Google Optimizer

    3. Clicktale

    Clicktale allows you to watch REAL VISITOR BEHAVIOUR onsite dude. Mouse movements, where they click etc. This is an excellent tool if you're interested in "watching in" what your visitors are actually doing!

    ClickTale, The leader in Heatmaps, Usability & Web Analytics

    Good luck
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4761532].message }}

Trending Topics