Targeting small niches

by tjc348
18 replies
I've been working on this affiliate marketing thing for about 5 or 6 months now, and I must say that I have made several mistakes. I understand a lot of the fundamentals and factors needed in order to succeed in affiliate marketing, but I have made the mistake of targeting too competitive of niches.

So far, I've made about 40-45 dollars in the past four months. I sold two e-books and the rest is from adsense ads.

I'm starting to really understand the purpose behind targeting small niches.

Target very small low competition niches and create a blog with 3-5 posts and put some google adsense on it. Do some on page SEO and rank for a few small very low competition keywords in these niches and collect my money from adsense clicks. I figure it might take a few weeks to get one of these sites up and running granted I chose the right (low competition) niche and keywords.

Is this the way to go?

I figure that if it takes me a few weeks to get one of these sites up, I could have tons of them up within a few months.

Even though it's very little money per click, if I were getting a click every day or every other day between 10 small niche sites, the money would add up quite nicely.

Of course I would just continue to add more small niche sites and the earning would increase. Continue to update all of these niche sites on an occassion, rinse and repeat.

What do you think? Is this the way to go?
#niches #small #targeting
  • Profile picture of the author webapex
    I just ran across another metric mentioned in the demonstration of a rank checking tool:

    The "number-of-searches-to-competition" ratio is known as Keyword Efficiency Index, or KEI.

    Looks like KEI would be useful for identifying the most open niche keyword.

    The SEO rank tracker, from the SEO Power suit has an added "suggest" function that goes to a keyword tool (just Google's in their free version) and looks up alternatives to your test keywords, displaying a table of search volume vs competition (guess you can do it with a calculator too)

    Anyway they describe it in their demo video:
    http://www.link-assistant.com/rank-tracker/

    (I use the free rankchecker version but never tried the extras until I saw their video)
    Signature

    “An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field” Niels Bohr

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4772671].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
      KEI doesn't tell you anything. Just eyeballing the 1st page of Google to see which websites are optimized for your search phrase, and the strength of the site and page, will tell you a lot more than KEI.

      Think of it this way, would you rather compete against 10,000 web pages, all PR0, none of which are optimized for your search term, or 10 optimized web pages, all PR8, on trusted domains?

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4772698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tjc348
    I'm assuming it would make more sense to compete against 10k webpages with a PR of 0 which are not optimized for my search term.

    Basically I'm just looking for advice on doing micro niche websites. Is it worth it?

    And what is considered a micro niche? On average, how many monthly searches on a keyword would a micro niche get?

    What is a good target of traffic to aim for before moving to another micro niche website?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4772740].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Johnny Optimo
      Originally Posted by tjc348 View Post

      I'm assuming it would make more sense to compete against 10k webpages with a PR of 0 which are not optimized for my search term.

      Basically I'm just looking for advice on doing micro niche websites. Is it worth it?

      And what is considered a micro niche? On average, how many monthly searches on a keyword would a micro niche get?

      What is a good target of traffic to aim for before moving to another micro niche website?
      It's definitely worth it, if you can get it down on a few domains you can really scale it up - and that's where you can start earning some serious money.

      There's no magic number of how many searches something needs to have, you just need to use your judgement. Figure out how many uniques you require to be successful with the sites and if the search numbers support that, then pull the trigger.
      Signature
      Warriors,
      I'm a web developer and iOS app developer - I'll make you a website or app! http://949web.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4772793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lisha5684
    Marcus Campbell is the king of small niches. He builds small simple sites, like you're talking about. But he uses paid adwords to get to the top of the page, but only using keywords that are cheap. This way he's on the top of google, but only paying 10cents for someone to get to his page. Then he makes about $50-$100 a day per site. Pretty cool, I think. So if you do your research you could really make some good money with small niche sites.
    Signature

    -Start Getting Noticed On Twitter: http://twonderwoman.com
    -Visit my blog: http://blogandretire.com/blog - Tips for blogging, social media marketing, and online business.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4772880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author biffula
      Originally Posted by Lisha5684 View Post

      Marcus Campbell is the king of small niches. He builds small simple sites, like you're talking about. But he uses paid adwords to get to the top of the page, but only using keywords that are cheap. This way he's on the top of google, but only paying 10cents for someone to get to his page. Then he makes about $50-$100 a day per site. Pretty cool, I think. So if you do your research you could really make some good money with small niche sites.
      Run, don't walk from Marcus Campbell. Customer service for his overpriced, outdated products is non-existant. Took me a month to get ahold of him and get a refund. It was only after I threatened getting in touch with the California Attorney General did he relent. There's much better, more current, and less expensive info out there than what that clown has to offer.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4985424].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Miguelito203
    Originally Posted by tjc348 View Post

    I've been working on this affiliate marketing thing for about 5 or 6 months now, and I must say that I have made several mistakes. I understand a lot of the fundamentals and factors needed in order to succeed in affiliate marketing, but I have made the mistake of targeting too competitive of niches.

    So far, I've made about 40-45 dollars in the past four months. I sold two e-books and the rest is from adsense ads.

    I'm starting to really understand the purpose behind targeting small niches.

    Target very small low competition niches and create a blog with 3-5 posts and put some google adsense on it. Do some on page SEO and rank for a few small very low competition keywords in these niches and collect my money from adsense clicks. I figure it might take a few weeks to get one of these sites up and running granted I chose the right (low competition) niche and keywords.

    Is this the way to go?

    I figure that if it takes me a few weeks to get one of these sites up, I could have tons of them up within a few months.

    Even though it's very little money per click, if I were getting a click every day or every other day between 10 small niche sites, the money would add up quite nicely.

    Of course I would just continue to add more small niche sites and the earning would increase. Continue to update all of these niche sites on an occassion, rinse and repeat.

    What do you think? Is this the way to go?
    If you're going to be doing affiliate marketing, you shouldn't have adsense on the same page. It takes the visitor away from your site, and statistically speaking, it takes the same amount of visitors to get an adsense click as it does to make an affiliate sale. Why would you wanna make .30 per click when you can make $30+ a sale? Think about it. Also, with the holidays around the corner, you might want to consider doing some sites around that stuff. People will be desperate and in buying mode so you don't have to sell to them. Since the holidays aren't here yet, that also means less competition for you, which translates into a lot less work.

    Good luck,
    Joey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4773279].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jinjinjk
      Originally Posted by Miguelito203 View Post

      If you're going to be doing affiliate marketing, you shouldn't have adsense on the same page. It takes the visitor away from your site, and statistically speaking, it takes the same amount of visitors to get an adsense click as it does to make an affiliate sale. Why would you wanna make .30 per click when you can make $30+ a sale? Think about it. Also, with the holidays around the corner, you might want to consider doing some sites around that stuff. People will be desperate and in buying mode so you don't have to sell to them. Since the holidays aren't here yet, that also means less competition for you, which translates into a lot less work.

      Good luck,
      Joey
      I am a super noob and was wondering why adsense would take the visitor away from your page. Is it because the ads distract them from the main product that you are selling?

      And I also made a mistake taking on a niche that was too competitive (weight loss). It has been pretty difficult to get a high page ranking in google. I think I am on the 4th page or something. It is good to hear that targeting a smaller niche is also profitable.

      Thank your for raising the question and good luck!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4773433].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tjc348
        Originally Posted by jinjinjk View Post

        I am a super noob and was wondering why adsense would take the visitor away from your page. Is it because the ads distract them from the main product that you are selling?

        And I also made a mistake taking on a niche that was too competitive (weight loss). It has been pretty difficult to get a high page ranking in google. I think I am on the 4th page or something. It is good to hear that targeting a smaller niche is also profitable.

        Thank your for raising the question and good luck!
        Yes jinkjink you are correct. Google adsense ads may encourage a visitor to click on the ad which will you take them to another website. If you are promoting an affiliate product you want the visitor to click on the affiliate link.

        The visitor may click on an adsense ad that might give you about 30 cents, where as if they would have stayed on the page they might have clicked on your affiliate link instead, making you a sale for much more than 30 cents.


        If I were doing these micro niches I would be focused more on making money from adsense instead of affiliate products. Maybe some of them (if getting the right traffic) I will promote an affiliate product instead.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4774097].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JettH
          Volume is the key here.

          Trying to pick winners, especially with small niches and long tail keywords, is difficult because the data you get for monthly search volume is inaccurate.

          I would build as many sites as possible using exact match domains. Then concentrate on those that get some traction in the search engines ie build some links, add more content.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4774924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bigwillstyle
    If you target small niches with high paying keywords it doesn't take a lot of clicks for your earnings to start stacking up. Do research on high paying keywords.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4778932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PLRExpress
    I have larger sites and I have small niche sites. If you want to target a niche, I would be much more proactive, provide help and support and have a great offer for them to get started and then affiliate products further down the line.

    Your niche site shouldn't just be to grab one sale and then they leave. You want to keep them there and build a relationship so that you can market to them again. Niche sites are not really just for ad revenue - in my opinion.

    My larger sites tend to mainly have advertising and lots of daily content. There's not so much of a relationship building but it still earns good money.

    Hope this helps a little :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4779711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Perry
    It sounds like you have a basic strategy that is creating some revenue on a small scale. The trick now is to ramp it up and start creating more sites. Wordpress is a great platform for this because you can quickly create a site, spend a few hours writing a bunch of articles, schedule them to post over the next week or so, then move on to creating a new site. After you've created a manageable empire of niche sites, go back through them adding more content and building backlinks.

    Then move on to creating more sites and starting the process over again. After you've started making money you can start hiring our the work to expedite the creation process and building your empire quicker.

    Me and a friend have used the same strategy to build over 400 niche sites and now we sell them to people looking to do the same thing.

    Take care,

    Kevin
    Signature
    Owner and Operator of 6StarMedia.com - A website design and marketing firm
    Marketing Consultant for AuctionAutoBidder.com - An eBay Auction Sniper service
    Check out one of my clients for Database Services - Pebble IT
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4781226].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author slamp
      Banned
      micro niche = little traffics = small money ..

      but if you wanna play flipping , you're on your way .

      just be # 1 , gain traffics and earn some clicks ..

      if the income is big enough, use it as selling point to flip your site
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4781293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johndetlefs
    I still think that building a list and then selling affiliate or your own products is the way.

    At least Google can never ban your list!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4781407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author affordableweb
    Stick with niche markets with money in them. If the keywords don't pay then don;t waste time targeting them. Stay away from the most competitive and shoot for the middle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4781429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webpathfinder
    Test with a few websites but remember you will have to wait months to get out of the "Google Sandbox" before you know a website is worthwhile. Best to use generic domain names so you can try different products and services.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5128266].message }}

Trending Topics