My Goals Were Simple : Place ads, gain traffic, earn a profit, and do it all within a short amount of time.
It seemed simple but I looked into it and dug a little deeper so that I could strategically place my ads and receive more positive results. So let me explain what I did with my website and how I promoted it on Craigslist.
Type Of Website : Affiliate product & review website.
Steps For Advertising :
- Researched my niche through Google and found the "Top 10" locations where my products were being used and where the niche was most popular. I stuck with locations only in the United States but depending on your target audience, the locations may differ.
- Saved these top locations to Notepad on my computer so that I would have them for future reference.
- Went to Craigslist and browsed to the first location on my top 10 list.
- Created an ad for my website that did not seem like spam and was interesting, catchy, and straight to the point.
- Placed the ad in the "For Sale" section and into the correct sub-category.
- Went back to the main page and browsed to my next location on my top 10 list.
- Placed another ad promoting the same website.
- Repeated until I posted 1 ad in each location from my list.
- Waited and watched traffic/sales go up.
- Do NOT place ads on Craigslist that look like spam, such as "Want To Get Rich? Click here and see how!". Be creative and make the ad seem professional and personal so that ir will not be flagged and removed.
- Create a few different ads for the same website you are trying to promote and rotate them. Try to create 3 or 4 variations of your ad and use them randomly throughout the location postings.
- Make sure your title is attractive and catchy. This will make sure that people view your ad and if they are interested, they will click through to your website.
- Trial and error. If your ads are not converting well, try creating a new ad or place the existing one in a new category.
- Keep track of your traffic and monitor how many visitors are coming from Craigslist. This will be helpful when you make changes to your ads and would like to see if they have a positive impact.
- Remember that you can renew your ads so that you can easily "bump" your ad back to the top of the page for more exposure. Only do this after about 2 weeks so that you are not constantly renewing posts.
- Targeting bigger cities will most likely create more traffic.
The few things that I have mentioned above helped me generate some decent numbers for traffic and actual sales. I only spent roughly 1 - 2 hours doing Craigslist marketing for 1 website and I received an increase of 200 - 300 visitors per day plus sales from some of those customers.
Craigslist may not be the best way to go for some people but it sure has helped me and a few of my websites. So if you are looking for new ways to make money and promote your website or product, try the method I have talked about and see if it helps you out too.
Good luck and keep up the positive attitude!