If I copied your exact words from an email and...

48 replies
Hypothetical Question: If I copied your exact words from an email and...

put them in a product, or otherwise shared them without your permission,

would that be wrong?


(assumption: you're an internet marketer - who's sent me a mass message)

(I'm an opportunists who's writing a book about the best sales funnels - or whatever)
#copied #email #exact #words
  • Profile picture of the author LarryC
    Sounds risky to me, unless you were talking about something very generic, like,
    "Make Money Fast!" But if you take someone's complete sentences without permission, they could accuse you of stealing their content -which would be true. You could stick to describing the sales funnel technique in general terms, or ask permission to use someone's exact words.
    Signature
    Content Writing, Ghostwriting, eBooks, editing, research.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4792356].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

    Hypothetical Question: If I copied your exact words from an email and...

    put them in a product, or otherwise shared them without your permission,

    would that be wrong?


    (assumption: you're an internet marketer - who's sent me a mass message)

    (I'm an opportunists who's writing a book about the best sales funnels - or whatever)
    Non-Hypothetical Answer: YES.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794861].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bentley74
      Yeah - probably NOT the best approach!

      Better to just create a swipe file of all the best stuff and then put together something in your own words, based on the information you've gathered.

      B


      P.S. John - "The REAL PETA, People for Eating Tasty Animals" - you killed me with that one! LOL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794878].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sandor Verebi
        Originally Posted by Bentley74 View Post

        ...Better to just create a swipe file of all the best stuff and then put together something in your own words, based on the information you've gathered...
        This is a good method, I think. Myself I use it too.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794894].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lastreporter
    Very wrong. Why not ask the person's permission first? They might say no. Don't they have that right?

    Just my two cents
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794888].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anthony2
    Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

    Hypothetical Question: If I copied your exact words from an email and...

    put them in a product, or otherwise shared them without your permission,

    would that be wrong?


    (assumption: you're an internet marketer - who's sent me a mass message)

    (I'm an opportunists who's writing a book about the best sales funnels - or whatever)
    you definitely want to ask for permission before using some else content.
    if you don't ask the owner make sure you if them the credit.
    Signature
    "I Leveled The Playing Field And Removed Every Roadblock
    To Helping You Make Maximum Profits In Minimum Time"
    Click Here Now To Find Out How!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

    If I copied your exact words from an email and... put them in a product, or otherwise shared them without your permission, would that be wrong?
    Copyright of correspondence is not as simple a matter as some believe, but in general, yes; it would be - at the very least - inadvisable.

    You might use the ideas and concepts from mailings like that which you've received by opting in to people's lists, but it's not a good plan to use the words.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4794943].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

    Hypothetical Question: If I copied your exact words from an email and...

    put them in a product, or otherwise shared them without your permission,

    would that be wrong?


    (assumption: you're an internet marketer - who's sent me a mass message)

    (I'm an opportunists who's writing a book about the best sales funnels - or whatever)
    Without permission, yes, that would be wrong.

    1. You could be weakening MY commercial interests.
    2. You would be profiting, at least in part, from my work.

    Would I personally go after someone if I found out? You bet I would, and you can be sure I am not alone.

    HOWEVER...

    If you were to ask me ahead of time, there is a very good chance that I would give you permission, especially if I had some input into how my message was presented.

    Anyway, YOU don't get decide how to use my words, I'M the only one who gets to decide.

    There are some exceptions for fair use, but those are very tricky.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4795526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pjwenterprise
    The majotiry of us post content and I am sure we would wnat to receive credit for our hard work.

    How would you feel if someone plagarised your work without permission?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4795781].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by pjwenterprise View Post

      The majotiry of us post content and I am sure we would wnat to receive credit for our hard work.

      How would you feel if someone plagarised your work without permission?
      I would normally agree, but this goes further than just giving the author of an e-mail credit.

      What the OP suggests could have a negative impact on my marketing message, and my income. Furthermore, they would be profiting on my work, and, if I understand correctly, would be going above and beyond fair use.

      Simply giving me credit would NOT be enough in this case.

      All the best,
      Michael
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4795805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whatihave
    Banned
    I would never copy something word for word and use it as my own. Not good at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4798244].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suthan M
    Its best to ask permission of course before you go about in using their content, even emails if you plan to use them word by word.

    .. Chances are people will be OK if you want to feature their emails on a "best practice email" report, as that recognizes their work and builds their authority.. :-)
    Signature

    Whats the latest movie you watched? Anything good?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4798357].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BenKJunya
    It is absolutely wrong. You will have to take the permission of the person whose work you have been taking otherwise it will be taken as plagiarism and you may even get sued even if it is amongst the bulk mail!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4798439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winseosoft
    My advice is to be unique , sure you can learn from others but is better to have you own "identity" because you have big thoughts you won't want to be just a copycat.
    If some of you clients/followers will know you will lose all credibility.
    Better learn , think and be creative that copy others work like a machine.
    Also if the guy from who you stolen the info finds out , it will not be very good for you
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4798797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    I was thinking about creating a product that talked about the best rock songs from the last 4 decades. I will also include a nice big set of CD's that have all those songs on them.

    I should be ok to sell this, right?!

    Answer THAT question and you have answered your own.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4798813].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

    Hypothetical Question: If I copied your exact words from an email and...

    put them in a product, or otherwise shared them without your permission,

    would that be wrong?
    Emails are subject to copyright just like anything else. You can quote them or disclose them or share them within certain boundaries, but they are copyrighted material just like any other written work.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4798851].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Heidi White
      OK - Thanks everyone for your responses.

      I got what I expected - and quite frankly I completely agree.

      This whole thread was really a set-up to ask the next question - which has always disturbed me, but I needed feedback on the basic email question first before I could really ask.

      So - Here is another hypothetical question.

      What if someone creates a WSO (or other product for profit) which is essentially a swipe file of:

      The Top 200 Best Selling WSO's in the last 6 months
      which features
      the Exact Wording of the "Headlines Used"


      Assuming this information was gleaned from Warrior+ or similar database, and presuming that NO PERMISSION was received from the 200 top Best Selling WSO creators (hard to imagine that being possible,)

      then why - given the feedback above - is that considered OK?

      I'm saying it's considered OK - because I've actually purchased WSO's that did exactly what I described above - and didn't notice any stampede of complaints.

      Granted - what I described in my original example involves taking more copy than just a headline - but if a paragraph is off limits - than why not a headline?

      Thanks for weighing in on this discussion.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802023].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

        OK - Thanks everyone for your responses.

        I got what I expected - and quite frankly I completely agree.

        This whole thread was really a set-up to ask the next question - which has always disturbed me, but I needed feedback on the basic email question first before I could really ask.

        So - Here is another hypothetical question.

        What if someone creates a WSO (or other product for profit) which is essentially a swipe file of:

        The Top 200 Best Selling WSO's in the last 6 months
        which features
        the Exact Wording of the "Headlines Used"


        Assuming this information was gleaned from Warrior+ or similar database, and presuming that NO PERMISSION was received from the 200 top Best Selling WSO creators (hard to imagine that being possible,)

        then why - given the feedback above - is that considered OK?

        I'm saying it's considered OK - because I've actually purchased WSO's that did exactly what I described above - and didn't notice any stampede of complaints.

        Granted - what I described in my original example involves taking more copy than just a headline - but if a paragraph is off limits - than why not a headline?

        Thanks for weighing in on this discussion.




        how is that any different then the concern over email copyright infringement?
        Hi Heidi,

        That could fall under the Fair Use clause of copyright law. Note that I said could.

        Because the headine isn't the bulk of the message by the author, it may be able to be used.

        Additionally, if the person running such a WSO would add an explanation as to why the quoted headline was effective, and the bulk of THEIR WSO was comprised of commentary, that may also qualify as fair use.

        BUT...

        IF the quoted headline IS the most important part of the message, then it may not be considered as fair use.

        For example, I believe there was a magazine that quoted only a few hundred words out of hundreds of thousands of Gerald Ford's memoirs, and the magazine claimed fair use*. They LOST because the court decided that they had used some of the most important parts of the memoir.

        Then we get into the whole area of whether or not using a headline has an impact on the headline writer's income, and how the headline will be used by the compiler for commercial gain.

        Anyway, fair use is often a justification for copyright infringement, but not always. It's a tricky area of the law, and not always used properly.

        All the best,
        Michael
        .
        .

        * This also illustrates that there is no "magic percentage" to qualify as fair use.
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802071].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Chri5123
        Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

        OK - Thanks everyone for your responses.

        I got what I expected - and quite frankly I completely agree.

        This whole thread was really a set-up to ask the next question - which has always disturbed me, but I needed feedback on the basic email question first before I could really ask.

        So - Here is another hypothetical question.

        What if someone creates a WSO (or other product for profit) which is essentially a swipe file of:

        The Top 200 Best Selling WSO's in the last 6 months
        which features
        the Exact Wording of the "Headlines Used"


        Assuming this information was gleaned from Warrior+ or similar database, and presuming that NO PERMISSION was received from the 200 top Best Selling WSO creators (hard to imagine that being possible,)

        then why - given the feedback above - is that considered OK?

        I'm saying it's considered OK - because I've actually purchased WSO's that did exactly what I described above - and didn't notice any stampede of complaints.

        Granted - what I described in my original example involves taking more copy than just a headline - but if a paragraph is off limits - than why not a headline?

        Thanks for weighing in on this discussion.
        Interesting thread...

        Regarding the email yes I think that would be wrong ethically, however not sure on the legal side - of course you could copy and then as long as you give the original source website with a link and the author - like article syndication - this may be ok.

        With the WSO - yes it is a tricky one...

        Maybe if you made it without revealing the EXACT wording just the top words and phrases used that get the most views.

        Chris
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4922273].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    If bought a product (in the WSO section) that was "compiled" with copyright infringement - did you report it?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802062].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Heidi White
      Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

      If bought a product (in the WSO section) that was "compiled" with copyright infringement - did you report it?
      No, I did not report it.

      First of all - I have no evidence that permission was not obtained.

      Secondly - the provider is so 'well respected' that my report would have no impact (except perhaps against myself)

      Thirdly - I don't know if the creator of the product owns the the copyright to the 'headline' used in WF or if WF owns it.

      etc....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802095].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

        No, I did not report it.

        First of all - I have no evidence that permission was not obtained.

        Secondly - the provider is so 'well respected' that my report would have no impact (except perhaps against myself)

        Thirdly - I don't know if the creator of the product owns the the copyright to the 'headline' used in WF or if WF owns it.

        etc....
        I am not a lawyer, but this is my understanding. The person who posts it maintains the copyright, BUT the also grant the WF a limited copyright.

        So, if somebody copies one of posts and resells it, I could personally sue them for copyright infringement. The fact that it was on the WF does not remove my copyright, and I can use the words of my posts in any way that I see fit...but other members CAN'T.

        All the best,
        Michael
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802133].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

          I am not a lawyer, but this is my understanding. The person who posts it maintains the copyright, BUT the also grant the WF a limited copyright.

          So, if somebody copies one of posts and resells it, I could personally sue them for copyright infringement. The fact that it was on the WF does not remove my copyright, and I can use the words of my posts in any way that I see fit...but other members CAN'T.

          All the best,
          Michael
          Michael, you almost have the first part right. The person who posts retains exclusive copyright, but they grant the WF a pretty liberal license to use said content. It's a fine point of distinction, but law libraries are filled with volumes of such distinctions...

          As for the headline collection WSO, I think you're spot on about those being 'fair use', so long as the compiler is not claiming authorship or ownership. I can run a product called "The Last 100 New York Times Headlines" and list them. It's public record - anyone can look them up. I'm not harming the Times' ability to sell news, nor am I giving away any insider secrets. If I choose to comment on them, it falls under the 'criticism and commentary area of fair use.

          At least, that's my lay interpretation based on some fairly extensive reading over the years. [Insert standard IANAL disclaimer to CYA]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802181].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Heidi White
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            As for the headline collection WSO, I think you're spot on about those being 'fair use', so long as the compiler is not claiming authorship or ownership. I can run a product called "The Last 100 New York Times Headlines" and list them. It's public record - anyone can look them up. I'm not harming the Times' ability to sell news, nor am I giving away any insider secrets. If I choose to comment on them, it falls under the 'criticism and commentary area of fair use.
            Well - if a headline is fair game, then...

            Couldn't someone also run a product called

            "The First Sentence in the Last 100 New York Times Front Page Stories" ?


            It's public record, after all as well - anyone can look them up.


            And if that's OK - how different then is...

            "The First Paragraph in the Last 100 New York Times Front Page Stories"


            At what point does it become infringement?

            Does size matter?


            Or is getting 'inside' the content an issue - getting 'beyond' the headline a concern?


            Also - I think the difference with a mass email blast - as in my original hypothetical question - the fact that there is no 'public record - and that not just anyone can look it up - pretty much eliminates any concept of fair use.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802386].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Heidi White
          Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

          I am not a lawyer, but this is my understanding. The person who posts it maintains the copyright, BUT the also grant the WF a limited copyright.

          So, if somebody copies one of posts and resells it, I could personally sue them for copyright infringement. The fact that it was on the WF does not remove my copyright, and I can use the words of my posts in any way that I see fit...but other members CAN'T.

          All the best,
          Michael
          Wow - that makes me immediately think about all of the times someone leaves a review for a product in a WSO thread, and then the 'quote' or screen shot of that review is put inside the Sales Copy of that WSO - and perhaps later even added to a sales letter hosted 'outside' of the Warrior Forum -

          Excellent Food for thought, Michael, - probably a good idea to make sure the reviewers want their review listed in your sales copy, especially if you go outside the WF. And get their OK in writing (or at least in a PM)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802263].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
        Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

        Secondly - the provider is so 'well respected' that my report would have no impact (except perhaps against myself)
        Unless they're the owner of this forum or the mod that sees the report I suspect this is just not true.

        Well respected or not - this forum controls who runs a WSO or not.

        Whatever the legal position is with this stuff - it tells you all you need to know about the marketer - they can't create unique content for themselves and need to steal other people's in order to make money - enough said....
        Signature

        nothing to see here.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4923478].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Heidi White
          Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

          Unless they're the owner of this forum or the mod that sees the report I suspect this is just not true.

          Well respected or not - this forum controls who runs a WSO or not.

          Whatever the legal position is with this stuff - it tells you all you need to know about the marketer - they can't create unique content for themselves and need to steal other people's in order to make money - enough said....
          Taken out of context - you're statement rings true Andy - however, taken back in context - it's debatable if the marketer in question is really stealing anyone's stuff.

          If so - then we are back to the argument - is a swipe file ever legit - or is it always 'swipe-ing' - thus stealing other people's content.

          If that's the case - then wouldn't the mere title of a WSO with the word 'swipe file' in it be enough to stop the mods/owners from allowing such a WSO from getting approved?

          Apparently not - thus my 'reporting' such a thread would be doubtful to have any impact.

          I agree with Judy on this one....it's not always that easy to determine what's ethical and what isn't. Entire sub-forums of this community (CPA for example) are dedicated to business models that some might find absolutely unethical - while others have no issue with - because it's completely legal.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4923530].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
            Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post


            If that's the case - then wouldn't the mere title of a WSO with the word 'swipe file' in it be enough to stop the mods/owners from allowing such a WSO from getting approved?

            Apparently not - thus my 'reporting' such a thread would be doubtful to have any impact.
            Sounds like you're only wanting to see answers that agree with you.

            The conversation is largely irrelevant because you will find out your answers by doing it.

            Only Allen and the mods know what they will do in any moment based on the information they have, so having us all try to guess makes no sense.

            If you don't think that you reporting something to them will have any effect and you therefore don't report it then you're creating your own self-fulfilling prophecy.

            I can't see the logic in even spending much time thinking about this - if you think someone's out of order - report it and move on.
            Signature

            nothing to see here.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4925336].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Heidi White
              Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

              Sounds like you're only wanting to see answers that agree with you.

              The conversation is largely irrelevant because you will find out your answers by doing it.

              Only Allen and the mods know what they will do in any moment based on the information they have, so having us all try to guess makes no sense.

              If you don't think that you reporting something to them will have any effect and you therefore don't report it then you're creating your own self-fulfilling prophecy.

              I can't see the logic in even spending much time thinking about this - if you think someone's out of order - report it and move on.

              LOL - Largely irrelevant... probably so Andy - I should sell t-shirts with that over the chest.

              It was just a hypothetical question.

              Personally, I don't have much of an issue with the swipe file concept, so I wouldn't report it - I was just wondering how far the concept could be pushed. Where people thought the line should be drawn.

              My hypothetical example was meant to be extreme.

              And I agree with you completely about reporting and moving on.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927378].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Heidi White
              Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

              Sounds like you're only wanting to see answers that agree with you.

              The conversation is largely irrelevant because you will find out your answers by doing it.

              Only Allen and the mods know what they will do in any moment based on the information they have, so having us all try to guess makes no sense.

              If you don't think that you reporting something to them will have any effect and you therefore don't report it then you're creating your own self-fulfilling prophecy.

              I can't see the logic in even spending much time thinking about this - if you think someone's out of order - report it and move on.

              LOL - Largely irrelevant... probably so Andy - I should sell t-shirts with that over the chest.

              It was just a hypothetical question.

              Personally, I don't have much of an issue with the swipe file concept, so I wouldn't report it - I was just wondering how far the concept could be pushed. Where people thought the line should be drawn.

              My hypothetical example was meant to be extreme.

              And I agree with you completely about reporting and moving on.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danix7
    I should think that asking permission would be the appropiate action to take,nevertheless i would not use it unless you have the permission in writing.
    Who knows!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FlipSEO
    You should ask permission
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802323].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    I have had well known marketers copy my email messages word for word and they caught the wrath of EBR over it. The same would be true if my emails were copied and used in a book.
    Signature

    Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802419].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Heidi White
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      I have had well known marketers copy my email messages word for word and they caught the wrath of EBR over it. The same would be true if my emails were copied and used in a book.
      Understood EBR!

      I think it's a clear, copying other people's content from their emails is a definite NO! NO!

      But how do you feel about your Headlines to your top selling WSO's or products being featured in a swipe file for profit?

      And if you're OK with the Headlines in your WSO's being used for that purpose - how would you feel about your Email's headline getting the same treatment....

      ...featured in a product called, "100 Email Headlines That Made Me Click" - or whatever?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802500].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

        Well - if a headline is fair game, then...

        Couldn't someone also run a product called

        "The First Sentence in the Last 100 New York Times Front Page Stories" ?


        It's public record, after all as well - anyone can look them up.


        And if that's OK - how different then is...

        "The First Paragraph in the Last 100 New York Times Front Page Stories"


        At what point does it become infringement?

        Does size matter?


        Or is getting 'inside' the content an issue - getting 'beyond' the headline a concern?


        Also - I think the difference with a mass email blast - as in my original hypothetical question - the fact that there is no 'public record - and that not just anyone can look it up - pretty much eliminates any concept of fair use.
        I guess I need to clarify - reading this tells me that what was in my head as I typed didn't come through on the screen. My bad...

        A list of headlines, compiled for the purpose of commentary or criticism, would likely be fair use. It doesn't confuse the reader, nor does it hamper the copyright holder's ability to profit from their work. It's not really a derivative work, because there's no intent to replace the original, nor has the original been changed. There's no plagiarism, as the original source is acknowledged.

        A list of first sentences or first paragraphs, for a news story, is taking the 'guts' of the story, as the most important information is contained, by design, in that lead. What's done with it could still be ruled fair use, but the ground is far less clear.

        And in your email blast, as you say, there is no public record. Therefor there is nothing to comment on or criticize without revealing the original sans permission.

        Of course, in my example, there's nothing stopping the Times from taking a contrary viewpoint and having their lawyers explain that viewpoint to me. I would then be faced with a decision - do I argue the point (at considerable expense) or do I back off? :confused:
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4802609].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author backendbuddy
        Think, the email is not in the game. But the headline is. So, it is better we keep them separate.

        >> If you use texts from your friend's mail 'As It Is' into your book - it shows the person is not a grateful one, the friend may feel like getting a hurt - the book writer can still say the same giving credit to his friend or referencing him - when it is important to include the 'sayings'.

        Ok, then,

        >> Using the headline, think, is direct offense. You can complain. The guy who took your headline is a 'least business person'. He will not survive for long. The perspective of news with the WSO is different. Here you are not only informing but selling as well.

        Hope, this adds to the posts here.
        Signature

        Sign Up With Our 50$ Article Pack!!!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4806809].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by Heidi White View Post

        Understood EBR!

        I think it's a clear, copying other people's content from their emails is a definite NO! NO!

        But how do you feel about your Headlines to your top selling WSO's or products being featured in a swipe file for profit?

        And if you're OK with the Headlines in your WSO's being used for that purpose - how would you feel about your Email's headline getting the same treatment....

        ...featured in a product called, "100 Email Headlines That Made Me Click" - or whatever?
        Again, fair use is one of those tricky areas.

        IF my business was built on teaching people how to write good headlines, and your product contained a lot of my headlines, then I could argue that you are affecting my commercial viability.

        You could, in theory, be sued for using even one headline without permission. There are a lot of factors that go into it, but it would be possible.

        Asking if a headline is okay, then what about the first sentence or the second gets back to the faulty idea that a specific amount is okay for fair use while another amount isn't; it doesn't work that way.

        I am not a lawyer, but I think fair use is one of those things that could be labeled as "you'll know it when you see it".

        If YOU want to make such a product, then get permission. That's always the safest bet.

        All the best,
        Michael
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4807468].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Burns
    yes this is not a good habit,but you can modify that email before put it in your listing or any where.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4806720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zapseo
    I have to admit, I LOVE swipe files.

    But having recently had copy swiped from me (in the same time frame and in the same marketplace, no less) -- I'm not sure of my views anymore.

    Especially when one recent WSO touted pulling not just headlines, but bullets, guarantees and more from other WSOs.

    At that point, it's starting to feel like a heck of a lot more than just "fair use" of my copyrighted (or, actually, my and my client's) copyrighted material.

    (Apparently headlines, titles and such are not copyrightable -- but I am not a lawyer -- but for those, I guess ... swipe away. Other stuff ... you're walking on tricky ground here.)

    I think people who offer such amalgams of swipe material of copy from emails, salesletters and the like really need to be on the lookout, because those whose stuff they are making money off may not be all that charitable.

    And I hope people who create those wso compiliations etc are either reading this, or are put on notice that those of us who have our stuff swiped ARE watching ...

    Live JoyFully!

    Judy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4922250].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zapseo
    Heidi

    Well - if a headline is fair game, then...

    Couldn't someone also run a product called

    "The First Sentence in the Last 100 New York Times Front Page Stories" ?


    It's public record, after all as well - anyone can look them up.
    Can anyone look them up?
    And, if so, how?

    I'll wager that everywhere a person can look them up (eg a library), there has been some sort of financial transaction that has gone on that has benefited the paper.

    Taxpayers pay for the libraries, the libraries pay for subscriptions.

    I don't know that NYT actually publishes all of their stories on the Web, and many newspapers have been retreating their content behind paywalls.

    You have an awesome product on getting free images and I highly recommend it.

    And you attended my TalkMarketingNow.com show with Michelle Brouse about issues regarding bringing up a stock photo site.

    So you know how tricky and treacherous these shoals are.

    regarding this:
    I'm saying it's considered OK - because I've actually purchased WSO's that did exactly what I described above - and didn't notice any stampede of complaints.
    Like I said above, don't think headlines and titles are copyrightable.

    And, it may be that the people's whose copyright was violated were unaware.
    I know there have been such products on, I think it was, Cosmo headlines.

    And, it's probably one of those things.

    An occasional instance might be either not seen or might be ignored.

    But when more and more folks do it or try to do it, then it becomes more noticeable, can more likely detract from income potential, etc.

    And yes, there can be issues around using testimonials from WSOs.

    I have, more than once, gone after and requested permission to use testimonials in WSOs when the copy was going to live somewhere else on the web. And that's not even something I've recently started doing. It's just good (if time consuming) practice.

    Live JoyFully!

    Judy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4922290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pierce
    In general if you are ever doing something that may be ethically questionable, don't do it. Having a good relationship with as many people as you can is much more valuable than some "quick money cut and paste" tactic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4922812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zapseo
    The laws, the rules, the regulations -- they are so confusing and beyond comprehension at times that they defy defining what "ethical" means, unfortunately.

    This is by no means tossing a bone to sliding the meaning of ethics so as to be worthless, but rather to speak to a higher sense of what ethical might mean.

    For example, "Do onto others as you would have them do unto you" seems like a pretty good start in all your dealings.

    Don't give up on that simply because, at times, it can seem like an impossibly high standard. Keep working to find a meaning that works to bring you peace, and be at peace with others.

    Live JoyFully!

    Judy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4923431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    I am faced with the same problem (though probably more technical).

    I have PayPal holding my funds from one client as they believe he is using an unauthorised credit card.

    They require me to send email correspondence from the client.

    My email signature mentions no content will be sent to any third party... hmm.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4923439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    I bought a WSO that matches the description Heidi gave.

    Honestly, I bought it, because the author did not verify that the particular Product Title was not used before.

    His Product Title matched exactly a Product Title I had created. I bought his, expecting his to be mine repackaged.

    His was unique, in that it was not my product.

    But Heidi is right...

    Top 200 WSO's:
    • Subject Lines
    • Headlines
    • Sub-Heads
    • Bullet Points
    • etc.
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    I know that most forum boards have an agreement that you
    have to 'check' which normally includes that your posts
    will be considered public domain. I definitely can't remember
    if the WF has such in its agreement but most forum boards
    by default has that language.

    In the copywriting world it's very common to have products
    that are made up of the "top 100 headlines" and other
    swipe files.

    My (limited) understanding is that if your purpose doesn't
    compete with the original use of the letter/headline then
    it will be considered fair use.

    I once thought about creating a product where I would
    critique/analyze famous sales letters but I was also
    concerned about the legality of using the sales letters
    and definitely would not want to try and contact all
    those copywriters to ask permission.

    But I see swipefiles for sale all the time and I know
    there is no way the compiler contacted all those
    writers.

    I would judge a compilation of the best WSO headlines
    to be 'fair use'. And I doubt you could copywrite,
    sorry, copyright a headline anyway. (But I'm not
    a lawyer neither play one on TV)

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927505].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      I know that most forum boards have an agreement that you
      have to 'check' which normally includes that your posts
      will be considered public domain. I definitely can't remember
      if the WF has such in its agreement but most forum boards
      by default has that language.
      Ray, the last time I looked, WF posts are definitely NOT public domain.

      Posters retain ownership and copyright of their posts, while granting Allen Says and/or the WF a very broad license to use said posts. That license only extends to Allen or a future owner of the forum, not forum members.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927527].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Raydal
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Ray, the last time I looked, WF posts are definitely NOT public domain.

        Posters retain ownership and copyright of their posts, while granting Allen Says and/or the WF a very broad license to use said posts. That license only extends to Allen or a future owner of the forum, not forum members.
        I tried to look for the agreement before making my post but
        didn't see how to access it. Which link did you use?

        -Ray Edwards
        Signature
        The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nicola Lane
    This is the relevant bit from the warrior forum agreement:

    When you post information to the Warrior Forum, communicate with us, send us information, or provide content to us or provide any content (including but not limited to text, images, graphics, sounds, etc.) for use or display, privately or publicly on or through the Warrior Forum, you own your content. You own and are responsible for your words. However, you grant the Warrior Forum a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable right to exercise all copyright, moral, and publicity rights in the content, in any manner whatsoever, in any media or form now known or which may be created in the future, including in other works and forms not associated with Warrior Forum.
    found here:

    WarriorForum - Internet Marketing Forums - Forum Rules

    You will need to log out to access that page though. I don't know if that agreement is easy for someone already logged in to find!
    Signature

    I like to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4932422].message }}

Trending Topics