Why don't you have more domains?

55 replies
Never understood these I have one or two domain guys. It stands to reason the more you branch out the better chances you have to find fruit, so why don't you guys have more domains? Let me show you some simple math

say the minimum wage at a job is $7.25*40 hours a week*4(to equal a month)=1160 before taxes.After taxes you're looking at 800-900.

50 domains at $1 a day each, 50 *30 = $1500

100 domains $1 a day each, 100*30= $3000

340 domains $1 a day each,300*30= $10200

remember this is just 1 little dollar per domain(or averaged to that) per day...

#domains
  • Profile picture of the author UMS
    Very easy to collect domains. It's an entirely different matter if you actually do something useful with them that will earn you money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811768].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zmorris
      Oh the power of math.

      People would complain and say that domains cost too much. But if you say you spend $10 per domain (.info and others can be purchased way cheaper) and bought $340 domains, that would be $3400... it seems like a lot of money but if they each bring in $1 per day, that's $124,000 a year. Well worth that $3400 investment.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Riggs
    I don't understand how that math positively attests to your argument. Owning domains and using them to monetize differ greatly.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811788].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashtree
      Originally Posted by Riggs View Post

      I don't understand how that math positively attests to your argument. Owning domains and using them to monetize differ greatly.
      Because it stands to reason if you can make money off one domain you can do it again and again. Let's be real here most you guys just use wordpress which doesn't take long to setup or add adsense code etc...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811803].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zmorris
        Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

        Because it stands to reason if you can make money off one domain you can do it again and again. Let's be real here most you guys just use wordpress which doesn't take long to setup or add adsense code etc...
        I agree. It takes only a few hours to set up a website and get advertisements/affiliate products set up.

        If someone made 2 sites a day for the next six months, they could be making a fantastic wage by the end of the year. And the best part is that once information is published on the internet, it's pretty much there forever. Once you stop making websites, doesn't mean you will stop making money from them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811874].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan Bainbridge
        Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

        Because it stands to reason if you can make money off one domain you can do it again and again. Let's be real here most you guys just use wordpress which doesn't take long to setup or add adsense code etc...
        Not really... the more domains you have the less focus you will have, the less likely you are to be able to build one GIANT authoratitve, niche leading website... think bigger, think BIG, aim for the top.... the market leading websites in any niche require a LOT of work and theres no way you can build a top quality 300 page website with unique, well written content, unique systems, quality software or whatever if youre also trying to build 40 mini niche blogs a month that bring in $50 each....

        I have 3 main sites, been in business for 4 years, but I'm quite happy with the several hundered thousand $$$s they bring me, and they do so because I spend a lot of time and attention on them... each to their own, and if you make $1m a year setting up domains like crazy then hats off to you... but imo I prefer to spend quality time on one domain for a whole year before moving on (and even then I still update the 4 year old one regularly enough)
        Signature

        Hypnosis Affiliate Program Pays 50% + $20 Join BONUS
        Real Subliminal Messages Pays 35% (world's largest subliminal site)
        SubliminalMP3s.com Pays 75%

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4829213].message }}
        • The problem is once you have a successful site, not only do you have to maintain it, you have to be nimble.

          I see people assuming that once they're earning (say) $10 a month with AdSense it's going to be that way in perpetuity. Nothing could be further from the truth. Google could ban you, the price of clicks could drop suddenly or people are no longer interested in that niche the way they once were.

          The only constant is change. Failing to plan for it is planning to fail.

          (Wow, two cliches in one 'graph.)

          fLufF
          --
          Signature
          Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
          Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4829834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I don't have more than a couple domains because I have pride in what I do and would be embarrassed crapless to have a bunch of really tacky, useless or even irritating crap floating around with my name on it. When how much money I can accumulate becomes more important than doing something gratifying and fun, I'll stock up on pure crap, too.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811797].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I don't have more than a couple domains because I have pride in what I do and would be embarrassed crapless to have a bunch of really tacky, useless or even irritating crap floating around with my name on it. When how much money I can accumulate becomes more important than doing something gratifying and fun, I'll stock up on pure crap, too.
      She got her point there - Having a few QUALITY domain names is way better than 340 crap domains which has nothing on there.

      And yet, 340 crap domain is not going to make you $1 a day.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rich Struck
    Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

    Never understood these I have one or two domain guys. It stands to reason the more you branch out the better chances you have to find fruit, so why don't you guys have more domains? Let me show you some simple math

    say the minimum wage at a job is $7.25*40 hours a week*4(to equal a month)=1160 before taxes.After taxes you're looking at 800-900.

    50 domains at $1 a day each, 50 *30 = $1500

    100 domains $1 a day each, 100*30= $3000

    340 domains $1 a day each,300*30= $10200

    remember this is just 1 little dollar per domain(or averaged to that) per day...

    Here is some more simple math...

    50 domains each get 1/50 of my attention.

    100 domains each get 1/100 of my attention.

    340 domains each get 1/340 of my attention.

    1 domain gets 100% of my attention.

    Now what do you think does better, a site with 1/340 of my attention or a site with 100% of it?

    Your math looks great on paper but by and large it does not hold up in the real world. If you build 340 sites, which is crazy by the way, only a handful will ever make any money. Most will sit forgotten and dusty. In the meantime, you've spent a ton of time and resources creating them that you could have used more wisely. 1 or 2 big well loved and well crafted sites will almost always outperform a giant bunch of thinner sites.

    Believe me, people have been doing the same math as you for as long as people have been building sites. If those numbers really worked like that, we'd all build, get rich, and be done with it.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811828].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HeatMap
      Yes, the maths is tempting, but...

      Freedom is what we are aiming for so maybe dont trade your day job for a 18 hours a day self made web administration job.

      If you do choose to create an army of sites, keep it managable, automate and centralise where possible, and make quality evergreen content that lasts. That way the revenue keeps coming long after lesser quality sites have hit Google's bit bucket, and you will maintain your sanity
      Signature
      Author of HEATMAP ADSENSE THEME, HEATMAP PRO V5, HEATMAP ADAPTIVE, CLICK MISSILE ADS PLUGIN and ULTIMATE SILOSTORM PRO WORDPRESS SILO SEO THEME
      SILOSTORM WSO ON NOW!
      HeatMapTheme.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811916].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AlexSid
        There is no point having a large portfolio of domains if they are just sitting there. And without any promotion they will not be earning even a minimum $1 a day.

        Not a chance!

        I have over 50 domains but guess what, they have all been promoted and continue to be promoted. Not all make money, some make significant amounts, some small amounts. Any that don't make me money I either sell them, use as part of a blog network (linking) or just let them sit until I have use for them again.

        When it comes to anything to do with online marketing, the 80/20 rule comes into play. For instance 80% of income will come from 20% of your blogs.

        Of course this is just a guideline but I have found this rule to work in all areas of my life.

        I also know some "one or two domain guys" who have earned and continue to earn a significant income from only one blog. So it really does not matter how many domains you have, it's what you are doing with them that makes all the difference.
        Signature
        Warriors! How Would You Like To Upgrade Your No.1 Marketing Asset? Grab This FREEMIUM To Kick-Start Your Epic Content Adventures...

        "30+ Free Kick-Ass Writing Tools For Elite Content Creation"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811986].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author grafic
          Originally Posted by AlexSid View Post

          Any that don't make me money I either sell them, use as part of a blog network (linking) or just let them sit until I have use for them again.
          Just wondering.... how do you manage to sell sites that aren't making money. (I have quite a few I wouldn't mind getting rid of)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811998].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Rich Struck
            Originally Posted by grafic View Post

            Just wondering.... how do you manage to sell sites that aren't making money. (I have quite a few I wouldn't mind getting rid of)
            If they have a good domain or good content they might still be worth something.
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4812009].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author smadronia
            Originally Posted by grafic View Post

            Just wondering.... how do you manage to sell sites that aren't making money. (I have quite a few I wouldn't mind getting rid of)
            If they have potential, you can flip them. The secret then, is to use your skills to tell the potential, not the actual.

            Some of your sites will probably never make money, even if they were in the hands of the most skilled marketer ever. But some of them will make money if someone approaches them from a different angle.

            Or at least, that's how I feel about my sites. I've picked some real stinkers, and I've picked a few that I'm sure have potential, if someone were to harness them right.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4836587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grafic
    Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

    Let me show you some simple math

    50 domains at $1 a day each, 50 *30 = $1500

    100 domains $1 a day each, 100*30= $3000

    340 domains $1 a day each,300*30= $10200

    remember this is just 1 little dollar per domain(or averaged to that) per day...

    You base this on the fact that each site can indeed earn you $1 a day.
    What is your secret for this?


    I got sucked into the math of what you are saying a few years ago...

    If the site only earns a dollar a day, after paying hosting and domain fees I could still end up with a small profit. So multiply this by 100s and I wont have to work ever again....

    Right !!!

    I worked my butt off making niche sites, researching, writing articles, promoting making blog posts,inserting clickbank products, adsense units and cpa.... then onto the next one.

    I got about 30 of these sites.
    some do make me a trickle of money, a few considerably more than a trickle, but on the whole, most of them don't earn anything.

    After several weeks of not working on them, the traffic goes down to 2 or 3 visitors a week. Even sites that are well optimized and had quite a few backlinks... if they are in a slightly competitive niche then most of the sites I have are barely paying for their domain fees.

    IMHO its best to find one or two good niches and concentrate on dominating them... then to expand, create your own competition and start to dominate the search results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4811911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MattVit
    It just doesn't work like that. That's why.

    I implore you to go out there and create not 5, not 10, not 50, but "300" websites. And don't stop there, find 300 unsaturated niches to match.

    Once you're done, go and get the info for each site to make it a) rank in Google and b) actually get visitors and clicks

    Finally, are you really sure you want to put down a $3,000 investment on this? 90% of the websites, especially if made in bulk, won't give $1 a month, let alone $1 a day.

    Totally unrealistic.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4812038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    340 domains . . . sounds like a job, to me. A tedious job at that. That may work for someone else, but that's not a business model I want to get into.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4812087].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kaizerinfo
    Yes, you must have many domains=sites. Some of them will make 1 a day,others 10$ a day.

    About attention to each domain, they don't need it after setup. The blog wthout any promotion,plugins can make money only with constantly posting.
    The other side of math with pages.
    If the site have 1000 pages and each page get 1 visitor a day,it's 1000 a day.
    But,for example blog, just conect to twitter or other social networks,each post will get much more than 1 visitor.
    Everything can be automated,if to use right softwares and right tactic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4812119].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashtree
      Originally Posted by kaizerinfo View Post

      Yes, you must have many domains=sites. Some of them will make 1 a day,others 10$ a day.

      About attention to each domain, they don't need it after setup. The blog wthout any promotion,plugins can make money only with constantly posting.
      The other side of math with pages.
      If the site have 1000 pages and each page get 1 visitor a day,it's 1000 a day.
      But,for example blog, just conect to twitter or other social networks,each post will get much more than 1 visitor.
      Everything can be automated,if to use right softwares and right tactic.
      Exactly, thanks for sharing, I can this this man is making money.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author philiptrav
    As a large domain portfolio holder I really think it's better to concentrate on only a handful of domain these days. Quality, not quantity seems to be more important. I think 5 to 20 domains is more than enough to keep most people busy.
    Signature
    How to manage your finances: Credit Relief, Money help, grow your wealth and become rich with little effort with Wealth Tips.
    Hostgator 25% off coupon: 25OFF11111
    Hostgator 1 Cent Hosting coupon: 1CHOST2013
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817946].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MLMLEADZ
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4823135].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Burton
    At present I own just over half a dozen domains. I have ideas for several, but I'm not going to cut my current sites short just to pursue new ideas. Some of my sites are pretty hands off, but the better performers in my limited portfolio are not so hands off. But fortunately they generate recurring customers.
    Signature

    - = Signature on Vacation = -
    (We all need a break from what we do for a living. I thought it was time my signature got a break too)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4823348].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Henshaw
      Nice op; certainly got an interesting thread going. I've enjoyed reading it.

      I presume that you weren't serious when you started it. If so, then I think "each to their own" springs to mind.

      By the way, where is your evidence for this rash statement:

      Because it stands to reason if you can make money off one domain you can do it again and again. Let's be real here most you guys just use wordpress which doesn't take long to setup or add adsense code etc...
      What is this WordPress thing? Adsense? never heard of it :confused:

      Just my thoughts,

      Jeff.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4823477].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
    I have about 100 domains and about 50 or so that make regular money....

    Its hard work to keep them maintained and of course to the high standard that I have set in the past.... its do able though
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4823640].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLCarroll
      The one constant I've noticed after seeing quite a few of these auto-blog subject threads is that there will always be those who agree because they are successfully running a stable of auto-blogs and there will always be those who think that auto-blogs are spammy and don't get it.

      Some folks are running spammy blogs and some are running blogs that are high quality, but they ARE managing them and in HUGE numbers.

      Frankly, unless asked directly by someone interested in auto-blogging, I don't bother trying to convince non-believers anymore. They won't believe you anyway.

      Convince a man against his will, he's of the same opinion still.

      Don't woke em, let em slept. More room and profit for me. LOL.

      Oh...Not everyone who auto-blogs uses AdSense or depends on Google either.
      Signature
      The Revolution is in progress since Spring of 2007!
      "I only want to do it once, by myself, for free and never touch it again...EVER...then I'll retire."

      Watch this sig for updates!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill D-G
    Agreed, it should be much easier to make $30 a month on 100 domains then $3,000 on 1.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4823722].message }}
  • You are caught up in MAKE BELIEVE MATH. It seldom works.

    Domains are like Cars... you can only drive so many. And if you collect them you have to maintain them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4829190].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Hollywood
    Originally Posted by cashtree View Post


    50 domains at $1 a day each, 50 *30 = $1500

    100 domains $1 a day each, 100*30= $3000

    340 domains $1 a day each,300*30= $10200


    Imagine this, 1 domain earning $2000 per day. That's $60,000 per month. That is my goal. One big authority site.

    I want to pour my heart and soul into 1 website, not give a little bit of effort into hundreds of domains.

    Why set up so many domains that earn small amounts per day when you can have 1 or 2 websites earning thousands per day? Go big or go home.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    I would prefer having 5 domains/websites earning $100 each per day than owning 1000 sitting in my account and asking me to re-register every year without earning.

    Tens of thousands of domains are wasted everyday because of wrong perception....
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830102].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheEye
      The premise that domains earn you money is false, which skews your argument.

      Pages earn you money not domains. The pages can be 1000 x one page domains or 1 x one thousand page domain. Both will take the same amount of time/money to create this content.

      The one domain can use internal links to help their ranking. If you have 1000 one page domains you need 1000 unique hosting accounts if you want to interlink them efficiently.

      For people who have the inclination and systems that can handle this amount of work, they can make good money.

      Most people can comfortably handle 3 to 7 projects happening at the one time. This is done by switching from one to the other as needed.

      Let us know how you go with this project you are starting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fun to Write
    The OP is using typical pyramid scheme math that involves fantasy numbers in the myth that all domains are going to be profitable. The $1 per day per site myth persists, even though it's not proven to be true.

    I've recently let go most of my domains/websites that did have some decent content because I lost interest, or they weren't cutting the mustard income wise. Those additional domains did not make me rich...

    Now I'm focused on just a few sites that continue to have authority. Building one new site right now that is intended to be an authority site. Authority sites rule and Google loves them. While some mini sites make money, they do so because they have highly targeted keywords and content in a specific niche.

    If you want to make real money online (and not just mythical theoretical cash), listen to the people in this thread that have had experience in owning numerous domains. Then ask yourself how much TIME can you realistically put into building a quality site that gets constant traffic and converts into profit.
    Signature

    Focus+Smart Work+Persistence=Success

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830394].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashtree
      Originally Posted by Fun to Write View Post

      The OP is using typical pyramid scheme math that involves fantasy numbers in the myth that all domains are going to be profitable. The $1 per day per site myth persists, even though it's not proven to be true.
      Not at all. I'm under no illusions each domain will make a dollar a day, I meant on average. Obviously some sites may pull $20 to thousands a day, some nothing, but averaged out, dollar a site is reasonable math. it makes sense to have many sites, if you can handle them, because every little bit adds up.


      For those demanding "proof" that's not what this thread is about, there are plenty of people on this forum with 100 or more domains that make far more than a $1 a day per site on average, heck even in this thread some have posted, all it takes is a scroll through or forum search to find them. The point of this thread was to get quality individuals, like yourselves, take on the subject. The insults and related stuff isn't needed...if you've tried and failed at this method, maybe you were just doing it wrong? I know someone that has a ton of sites, makes a ton of money, and some of his sites he hasn't touched in years, yet they still get sales...That's the beautiful thing about the internet, things don't go "stale" just because you haven't put work into them after the initial effort, i've seen various guru mention this kind of thing on here multiple time. I think the ideology that you're going to make one big site like facebook and be rich is far more "unrealistic" then what i've proposed. Oh zuckenburg basically hit the lottery with his site,the rest of need to focus on just trying to get pieces of the pie instead of massive slices.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
    Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

    Never understood these I have one or two domain guys. It stands to reason the more you branch out the better chances you have to find fruit, so why don't you guys have more domains? Let me show you some simple math

    say the minimum wage at a job is $7.25*40 hours a week*4(to equal a month)=1160 before taxes.After taxes you're looking at 800-900.

    50 domains at $1 a day each, 50 *30 = $1500

    100 domains $1 a day each, 100*30= $3000

    340 domains $1 a day each,300*30= $10200

    remember this is just 1 little dollar per domain(or averaged to that) per day...

    People would be more likely to listen to you if you show proof that you have this large number of domains and that each one makes you that $1 per day.

    It's easy to come up with plans that sound like they might work; it's quite another thing to actually do it.
    Signature
    Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
    Fast & Easy Content Creation
    ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830437].message }}
  • A few years ago I was also thinking this way... I bought a few domains and build adsense sites thinking that if I can make just $1 a day on each site I would be doing very well if I had 50 or a 100 of them, but as time passes I find it hard to manage all of them as Google changes every now and them, the biggest impact comes when they introduced the farmer and panda updates which impacts earnings on some of my sites. I think it is always best to have a working strategy rather then working it out on math.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

    Never understood these I have one or two domain guys. It stands to reason the more you branch out the better chances you have to find fruit, so why don't you guys have more domains?
    Yep. If only Arianna Huffington had followed your logic. She could have been rich! :rolleyes:
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830788].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hanandaner
    haha... its like.. you have 100 domains which generate One dollar per day.. and other has 1 domain which pays 100 dollar per day.. i
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4831298].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tande
    well, it is easy to collect domain but working on them
    the traffic, competion and ranking can be a ch.allenge
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4831330].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashtree
      Originally Posted by Tande View Post

      well, it is easy to collect domain but working on them
      the traffic, competion and ranking can be a ch.allenge
      IM is a challenge, but at the end of the day the question you need to ask yourself is, do you want to make money or not? Do you want to be successful or not? Nothing worth doing is easy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kaizerinfo
    All you need,that each domain,must be profitable, earn more than 10$ a year.
    Any domain can earn such money. If it not earn with 1 page,it will earn with 100 or 1000 or 10000 pages.
    If you have 100 domains and each have constantly updates and contents and grow automatically. And each post syndycated automatically to social networks. And if you have some followers at that networks.
    It's just impossible not to make money.
    It's like bloging on autopilot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832560].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      "Just think about it... You set up 100 domains. If each of those domains sets up two more domains, and each of those sets up two more..."

      Oops, wrong model. Never mind. Nothing to see here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832682].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Don Luis
        Banned
        If it's that easy to make money, everyone will be buying domain names and becoming millionaires right now.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Henry White
    That's not much of a model, but useful in a limited sense if/when you have/buy domain names and whip up a bare-bones adsense site until you have time to fully develop them. That's better than parking those domains offline - especially if you have unlimited hosting, and I think most of us do. The key concept here is 'temporarily' not 'permanently.' Accidental traffic may generate a few pennies, but you're leaving so much money on the table even if you want to rush into some bizarre rendition of 'passive income for life.'

    Simply adding an affiliate product could easily double your income with no further time commitment.

    Re-purposing one day a week from grinding out these minimal websites to adding fresh, quality content to your existing sites will keep the search engines pacified to a certain extent. That's better than passively allowing the PR to sink further week after week and your hoped for dollar a day average with it.

    Soon enough, your bank balance will provide your 'Eureka!' moment and flip 90% of the minimal performers and change your model to the more conventional route for the rest. Add an opt-in and you've effectively transformed the mechanism from reinventing the wheel for each and every happenstance sale to a list of prospects; develop your sales funnel and have multiple products at various price points and you can transform that list of prospects into a list of repeat buyers, even raving fans if you consistently deliver.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nathan2525
    Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

    Never understood these I have one or two domain guys. It stands to reason the more you branch out the better chances you have to find fruit, so why don't you guys have more domains? Let me show you some simple math

    say the minimum wage at a job is $7.25*40 hours a week*4(to equal a month)=1160 before taxes.After taxes you're looking at 800-900.

    50 domains at $1 a day each, 50 *30 = $1500

    100 domains $1 a day each, 100*30= $3000

    340 domains $1 a day each,300*30= $10200

    remember this is just 1 little dollar per domain(or averaged to that) per day...

    I'd rather have one domain earning $340 per day than 340 earning $1

    340 domain creates a massive drain on resource. Updating, putting on content, maintenance. = Massive Headache
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833863].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

    Never understood these I have one or two domain guys. It stands to reason the more you branch out the better chances you have to find fruit, so why don't you guys have more domains? Let me show you some simple math

    say the minimum wage at a job is $7.25*40 hours a week*4(to equal a month)=1160 before taxes.After taxes you're looking at 800-900.

    50 domains at $1 a day each, 50 *30 = $1500

    100 domains $1 a day each, 100*30= $3000

    340 domains $1 a day each,300*30= $10200

    remember this is just 1 little dollar per domain(or averaged to that) per day...

    or how about this ... one domain=

    And the Money Comes Rolling In


    Markus Frind works one hour a day and brings in $10 million a year. How does he do it? He keeps things simple.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834009].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MarketologyTeam
      Me,

      480+ odd domains and counting. Revenue....well, let's just say I'm quite pleased. It pays the bills and supports the fam.

      Some are micro niche, some are med-large affiliate/CPA sites, some are landing pages, and some are in domain parking portfolios (killing it with those right now).

      Maintaining them can be a pain, but if you are making enough money to have that many domains/sites then you get stuff custom coded to help you automate most of it so you can spend your time on more important aspects of the biz.

      For me, this is a business. It is how I pay the bills and support myself and the fam. So, I could care less what a site looks like. Some of those crappy "tacky" sites convert 10x better than ones I paid a developer to make "visually stunning."

      If it converts I love it. As a side note, I also respect those who take this as a side job or for a hobby, and in that case it makes no sense to produce a bunch of "junk" as someone put it.
      Signature
      UNLIMITED CONTENT - 100% CopyScape Passed, EZINE Quality Articles. PM me for info.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834091].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashtree
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      or how about this ... one domain=

      And the Money Comes Rolling In


      Markus Frind works one hour a day and brings in $10 million a year. How does he do it? He keeps things simple.
      Funny, since you have more domains than most people on this site :p If you really believed your own advice, you'd get rid of all your domains and just focus on "one", but we both know that'll never happen.


      To those that understand, that really "get it" my hats off to you, trying to "pay the bills" or "get rich(LOL what?)" off one site, is extremely unlikely. Yes others have done it, just like others have won the freakin lottery too(again extremely unlikely). People laugh at my math, well they laugh at lottery math too, and how many you know have won the jackpot? Exactly.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834562].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

        Funny, since you have more domains than most people on this site :p If you really believed your own advice, you'd get rid of all your domains and just focus on "one", but we both know that'll never happen.
        Actually, I've reduced the amount of domains that I have by over half. I've found that putting a teeny wheeny bit of time into a bunch of domains instead of more effort into fewer domains doesn't pay off very well, especially when it comes time to renew all those non-performing domains. I'm still in the process of letting domains expire that I didn't have the time to do anything with and will continue until I'm actually using all of my domains.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834682].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

          To those that understand, that really "get it" my hats off to you, trying to "pay the bills" or "get rich(LOL what?)" off one site, is extremely unlikely. Yes others have done it, just like others have won the freakin lottery too(again extremely unlikely). People laugh at my math, well they laugh at lottery math too, and how many you know have won the jackpot? Exactly.
          Don't you really mean "to those who agree with me"? After that, all i heard was an annoying buzz...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834870].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author cashtree
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            Don't you really mean "to those who agree with me"? After that, all i heard was an annoying buzz...
            I'm sure you hear what you want to hear and that's ok, my comments weren't directed at you anyway. I was speaking to the kind, humble, intelligent individuals, who speak from the heart and who's posts I look forward to reading and learning from. Not those with over inflated egos. You may enjoy trying to patronize people, and if you do that's great for you, but personally I just find it to be really sad. I don't expect you to care what I have to say, just more "buzz" as you put it, but that's fine.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4835802].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Phil_UK
        Interesting idea..... and I'm sure domain name registrars would go along with it too. Remember, those $1.99 cheap domain names are usually just for the first year. When you've got to renew them, they'll be looking to take many more times that from you!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4837644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smadronia
    Originally Posted by cashtree View Post


    say the minimum wage at a job is $7.25*40 hours a week*4(to equal a month)=1160 before taxes.After taxes you're looking at 800-900.
    remember this is just 1 little dollar per domain(or averaged to that) per day...

    I have over 100 domains. None of them average $1 day.

    It would be great if they did, but that takes time. Even a quick install of wordpress (that I do with a plugin) a bit of theme tweaking, and then setting up the blog takes time. If I want to add content so I can run adsense or other things, that has to be written. So my $10 domain will probably take 2-3 months to get to the $1 a day. And it'll be a few more months before my time is paid for.

    100 websites making $1 a day isn't as easy or simple as the math appears on a computer screen.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4836570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    I have about 100 domains, many of them make money and many of them don't. The thing is that it is almost impossible to maintain 100 domains by yourself. So, unless you want to hire staff to do it, then this model can be problematic.

    I've noticed this past year (since all the "Panda" updates) that a lot of my domains that I hadn't done any maintenance to (link building or adding content) have fallen in the SERPS quite a bit. My adsense income has taken a big hit because of this.

    Going forward, it only makes sense that Google is going to give social signals more and more weight (this is just my opinion). How feasable is it that you can have a good social marketing campaign for 100 domains? I'm not talking about just setting up automatic software that tweets and posts to facebook, I mean a real campaign with real active followers.

    If you focus on a handful of domains, you can leverage your link building efforts. Each domain will have more weight in the eyes of the search engines and, therefore, the pages will rank easier. Not only that but you can build in mechanisms (like social media campaigns and relationships with other bloggers) that eliminate your reliance on search engine rankings almost entirely and not have to worry about the different algorithm fluctuations slapping down your sites.

    Having 100's of domains used to work good and it probably still does for those that know how to scale such an operation but for most people today, I think that having only a few domains is the way to go now.

    Lee
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4837762].message }}

Trending Topics