By A Show Of Hands...

31 replies
How many people here actually LIKE sales and trying to get sales online?

If you're anything like me you HATE it!
#hands #show
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    I don't just like it, I think I love it. It's a lot of fun to see your big plans pay off in the end.

    The selling is easy once you understand how to find your target market. Once you do that everything you do will be like selling ice cold water to tourists in a perpetually hot destination!
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AdwordsMogul
    Personally, I love selling and marketing.

    To be honest, I have other passions I love more; dancing, making movies, singing, playing guitar and women.

    However, selling and marketing turn me on too...
    Signature
    "Those who can - DO IT. Those who can't, say it's impossible."
    Jean Paul a.k.a AdwordsMogul
    PHPDevelopers.net - Top of the range PHP developers

    Easy Link Saver - Are you tired of the pain of constantly searching for your affiliate links? ( Chrome extension - FREE )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816135].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      I don't just like it, I think I love it. It's a lot of fun to see your big plans pay off in the end.
      Originally Posted by AdwordsMogul View Post

      Personally, I love selling and marketing.

      Ditto... Ditto...

      Sales and Marketing is my drug of choice... :p
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve McBride
    Let's see, I really only work about 15-20 hours a week (if you don't count checking my paypal account obsessively throughout my day). I outsource almost all the hard labor. When I do work, I enjoy it because I thrive on problem solving, and that's all sales is. Getting people to acknowledge a problem they are having and then having them pay you to solve it. When I'm not working I'm traveling, spending quality time with friends and family, learning new things, experiencing new things, and playing with the fun toys that I buy myself. I don't have a boss, I don't have a set time to start work, and any deadlines I have I created myself. I'm stress free, always relaxed, and the weather is almost always perfect in California. If I want more money than I regularly need then I simply put some more time into a bigger project a few times a year.

    Can't say I agree with you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816165].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Greg Sain
    It's just been my experience that everyone has "the secret" to making money online...kinda like how the people who made the most money during the gold rush weren't the guys digging for gold, but the guys selling the picks and shovels... I just got tired of trying to figure it out...now I make my living self-contained...
    Signature

    I don't need your name, email, OR phone number, because unlike most, I MAKE MY LIVING ONLINE without MARKETING ONLINE!

    (Go ahead...ask me. I dare you.)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816185].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Greg Sain View Post

      It's just been my experience that everyone has "the secret" to making money online...kinda like how the people who made the most money during the gold rush weren't the guys digging for gold, but the guys selling the picks and shovels... I just got tired of trying to figure it out...now I make my living self-contained...
      Nothing happens until someone makes a sale. If you define "sales" as convincing someone to do something or buy something, I hate it. If you define sales as helping someone get what they already want in a way that profits me, I'm fine with it.

      I also like the gold rush analogy, but you don't have it quite right. At least not on a local level.

      The ones that ended up with the gold were the "soiled doves", the bar owners, cafe owners, laundries and other sellers of goods and services to both the miners and the pick-and-shovel merchants...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816363].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cali16
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        If you define sales as helping someone get what they already want in a way that profits me, I'm fine with it.
        John, I'm with you on this one. The irony is, when you're truly helping people (as you state above) it doesn't feel like "selling" at all! It's a true win-win!
        Signature
        If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816380].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author trishacupra911
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Nothing happens until someone makes a sale. If you define "sales" as convincing someone to do something or buy something, I hate it. If you define sales as helping someone get what they already want in a way that profits me, I'm fine with it.
        Amen.

        If you're trying to manipulate someone who doesn't want/need what you're offering into giving you their money, of course you're going to feel icky about it (if you haven't lost your conscience).

        But if you're able to help someone solve a real problem that they want/need solved, and you can be fairly paid for your time/effort/skill/knowledge, then you should feel satisfied and happy when you've 'made a sale'.

        They have a real problem. You have a genuine solution.

        They want/need help. You're able to provide that help.

        They value the solution. You get paid the value of the solution.

        When the balance is there, there's no ickiness, bribery, theft, or anything people like to try to stick an 'ethical' in front of to make it sound alright.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4818617].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Nothing happens until someone makes a sale. If you define "sales" as convincing someone to do something or buy something, I hate it. If you define sales as helping someone get what they already want in a way that profits me, I'm fine with it.
        This is a really good explanation, and something that I wanted to touch upon. I've always that a "salesmen" did what John is explaining at the beginning here. Pushes something onto leads whether they like it or not.

        On the flip side you have "marketers." These are people who find an audience for a product and then put that product in front of said audience. There is a reason why the largest marketing agencies in the world are concerned about demographics.

        Demo's mean everything to a marketer. We don't push anything on anybody. We find people who are eager to buy the products and services we are promoting. Sales, in that aspect is easy.

        I've seen a couple of people here reference selling cars. Usually, this is a cold-open situation. Someone is out on the lot and it is your job to go out and make the sale--on a very expensive product no less.

        On the contrary wouldn't it be easier if car dealerships better used their websites to understand what their potential customer's were shopping for? I know a lot of larger metro area dealerships do this, but not so much in less populated areas.

        How easy would it be to sell the car if you knew going in that they were already interested in said ride? I got a $20 spot that says it would be far easier than the cold-open approach.
        Signature
        You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4818735].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
      Originally Posted by Greg Sain View Post

      It's just been my experience that everyone has "the secret" to making money online...kinda like how the people who made the most money during the gold rush weren't the guys digging for gold, but the guys selling the picks and shovels... I just got tired of trying to figure it out...now I make my living self-contained...
      I hope I'm not the only one who doesn't get this, but what do you mean when you say you make your living "self-contained" now?
      Signature

      Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4818811].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tpw
        Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

        I hope I'm not the only one who doesn't get this, but what do you mean when you say you make your living "self-contained" now?

        He has a money printing press now. So he no longer needs to give value to others to make money. :p
        Signature
        Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
        Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4818838].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve McBride
    The only important secret I really know of is that if you want something you can have it. It's up to you to figure out how to get it but it's there for the taking. Yes there is a lot of money to be made teaching others how to make money. Because money is something people are desperate to have. Same reason there is a lot of money to be made teaching people how to lose weight and look amazing. Same reason there is a lot of money to be made teaching people how to save their relationship. Same reason there is a lot of money to be made teaching men how to seduce women, and women how to attract men. Because all of those people are desperate for those things, and they will gladly give you their hard earned money to help them get what they want. The reason it seems only the guys selling the "picks and shovels" are making any money is simply because you spend a lot of time reading about internet marketing. There are plenty of people making just as much money in many different niches.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816343].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevea7777
    You gotta be willing to keep at it til you make it or you'll end up part of the 97% who don't. But oh how fun being part of the 3%. It IS worth it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816378].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ivoree86
      I haven't reached that 3% yet, but I'm trying. And I won't stop trying til I do get there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4818546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by Greg Sain View Post

    How many people here actually LIKE sales and trying to get sales online?

    If you're anything like me you HATE it!
    I love it man. I love offering an assortment of solutions to people that have a specific want or need. Certainly the solution has my spin on it, but it's a solution nonetheless.

    Secondly, as Seth Godin has eloquently written on many occasions, smart marketers "don't sell, they tell a good story....".

    Thirdly, it's called having an abundance mindset. I don't view what I do as "sales" or "trying to get the sales". I don't try anything. I offer a value proposition to my targeted audience and a certain percentage of them will take up my offer.

    I'm curious Greg. What's your definition of "sales"?

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816382].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author larrydcook
    "The heart of the wise trains his mouth and adds persuasiveness to his lips!" Solomon prvbs 16:23 the richest man who ever lived! Communication is to be heard, understood & appreciated! It's not selling its persuading a solution for a problem!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816384].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesutterson
      I've been in sales and sales management for most of my career and my view is this...

      Not a penny would be earned and not a single business would exist unless something is sold.

      Whether it is a service or product nothing happens unless a sale takes place.

      Directors, managers, designers, admin staff, logistics, accountants, legal staff, customer service etc etc all depend on the company they work for selling something.

      I rest my case :-)
      Signature

      Digital Marketing Insights: https://jamesutterson.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author payment proof
    Originally Posted by Greg Sain View Post

    How many people here actually LIKE sales and trying to get sales online?

    If you're anything like me you HATE it!
    I like marketing, doing SEO, etc. Parts of it can get very tedious at times, but I turn it into a game. For example, I'll tell myself I want to get X number of things done by a certain time in the day. And then I see if I can meet or beat that goal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    its not that bad if you have a good management system and willing to process orders. It can be a pain otherwise i agree.
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by jamesutterson View Post

    Whether it is a service or product nothing happens unless a sale takes place.
    Directors, managers, designers, admin staff, logistics, accountants, legal staff, customer service etc etc all depend on the company they work for selling something.
    I rest my case :-)
    If your case is that sales are supremely important, James, then doubtless it's very well made indeed. But this thread isn't about that: it's about whether you LIKE sales. The clue is in the OP ...

    Originally Posted by Greg Sain View Post

    How many people here actually LIKE sales and trying to get sales online?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816504].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
    The thing I had the most providing support to be able who don't appreciate your efforts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4816522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Greg Sain
    I agree with most being said here, I guess I should ask the question differently...
    Signature

    I don't need your name, email, OR phone number, because unlike most, I MAKE MY LIVING ONLINE without MARKETING ONLINE!

    (Go ahead...ask me. I dare you.)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817421].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
      Originally Posted by Greg Sain View Post

      I guess I should ask the question differently...
      That's for sure.

      When for a few short months I had to get a job in an otherwise reputable new car dealership - I hated to sell. Because I don't feel comfortable talking to strangers and I suck at face-to-face communication with one single person...

      But put in me in front of 100 or 1,000 people in a room/auditorium/theatre/church/whatever and I am absolutely fine: I'll have fun talking to them, even telling them about my excellent products

      The online sale is just like that: in your sales page you talk to a HUGE mass of people. Plus, you don't have to deal with each of them personally, which makes a huge difference. At least, for me.

      So, while I don't like the traditional "sales" - I am fine with selling online
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817566].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tpw
        Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

        That's for sure.

        When for a few short months I had to get a job in an otherwise reputable new car dealership - I hated to sell. Because I don't feel comfortable talking to strangers and I suck at face-to-face communication with one single person...

        But put in me in front of 100 or 1,000 people in a room/auditorium/theatre/church/whatever and I am absolutely fine: I'll have fun talking to them, even telling them about my excellent products

        Good to hear.

        I thought I was just a freak.

        Put me in a face-to-face with a stranger, and I stutter and stammer.

        Put me in front of an audience and give me a microphone, and I can excitedly share my experience or sales message for hours.

        I also did a gig at the local Chevrolet dealership, and I realized that I suck at selling cars. LOL :p
        Signature
        Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
        Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    I also did a gig at the local Chevrolet dealership, and I realized that I suck at selling cars. LOL
    It seems I am in good company, then...
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author acooking9
    I am curious how would you ask the question differently?

    There seems to be a common theme here. The people who love sales seem to be the most successful. Or are they the most successful because they are doing something they love.

    I found the best way for me to be happy with sales, was to break the process down into parts, do the parts I love to do and out source the parts I didn't like.

    Gets me to be more productive, enjoy my days more and of course be more profitable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817679].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Greg - I'm one of those who really doesn't like sales and marketing. It bores me to tears and the clerical parts of it drive me to drooling.........

    But I LOVE product creation. I love to write informational products. When it comes time to sell them, though, then it becomes work - and not pleasing work.

    I'm writing an ebook right now that I know people will be interested in by the groves....but not looking forward to getting it finished because then comes the crappy part - look for affiliates, backlinking, bookmarking, blog commenting, finding a good place to stick the ads. whoooff, what a freaking drag.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geeked Labs
    I love good karma selling
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817856].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaveHughes
      I have to agree with what several said above...it depends. :rolleyes:

      If you mean "hard" sales, then no...I'm not a fan of it, don't enjoy it, don't want to do it, online or off.

      However, I'm absolutely addicted to creating products that help people in exchange for their money. (I'm just getting started in that regard, but I'm already addicted to the rush of seeing people benefit from what I sell them.)

      So...it's a multivariate answer, I'm afraid...at least for me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4818050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author THK
    Originally Posted by Greg Sain View Post

    If you're anything like me you HATE it!
    I guess I am nothing like you

    Tanvir
    Signature

    This is my signature!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4818793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dann Vicker
    I can't seem to understand why you DISLIKE sales. Please can you outsource that part of your business to me...
    Signature

    Looking for high quality solo ad traffic? 200-2000 clicks available/day. Testimonials here. PM me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4820587].message }}

Trending Topics