What are the highest prices you can ask for with article writing?

26 replies
I'm asking to see the level of success you can have in this type of business. I think it would be interesting and inspiring.

If you're one of the high-paid article writers, what are you getting paid per article? How consistent is the high pay?

How hard was it to get there?

How many hours daily, do you spend writing?

What's your story?
#article #highest #prices #writing
  • Profile picture of the author vtotheyouknow
    Hi HawkPrecision!

    I may have some answers for you :-)

    I started out charging $8 for 400 words. I also gave away 6 review copies to get some reviews for my thread. When I stopped offering the service I was charging $15 per 400 words, almost double.

    It took me about 2 weeks to raise my prices to their final level. If you can research and write really amazing articles, you can probably charge well beyond that. But you have to establish yourself first as one of the best writers around and deliver the goods every time.

    One thing to consider is that writing articles is both extremely hard (if you're doing it well) and very time consuming. I spent at least an hour on every 400 words, often more. That's how I got away with charging way more than most Warriors and the clients who know how important excellent quality is gladly paid for it.

    I'd also advise taking down your payment buttons temporarily when you have 2 or more orders in the queue or you are guaranteed to get overwhelmed.

    Also, it's tempting, but don't subcontract your articles out to cheaper writers. Do you really want to put your reputation in somebody else's hands?

    Hmm...I think that about does it. Have fun and make some money man!

    Here's my thread for reference:

    http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...-turnover.html

    Best Wishes,
    Vic
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830871].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HawkPrecision
      Originally Posted by vtotheyouknow View Post

      Hi HawkPrecision!

      I may have some answers for you :-)

      I started out charging $8 for 400 words. I also gave away 6 review copies to get some reviews for my thread. When I stopped offering the service I was charging $15 per 400 words, almost double.

      It took me about 2 weeks to raise my prices to their final level. If you can research and write really amazing articles, you can probably charge well beyond that. But you have to establish yourself first as one of the best writers around and deliver the goods every time.

      One thing to consider is that writing articles is both extremely hard (if you're doing it well) and very time consuming. I spent at least an hour on every 400 words, often more. That's how I got away with charging way more than most Warriors and the clients who know how important excellent quality is gladly paid for it.

      I'd also advise taking down your payment buttons temporarily when you have 2 or more orders in the queue or you are guaranteed to get overwhelmed.

      Also, it's tempting, but don't subcontract your articles out to cheaper writers. Do you really want to put your reputation in somebody else's hands?

      Hmm...I think that about does it. Have fun and make some money man!

      Here's my thread for reference:

      http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...-turnover.html

      Best Wishes,
      Vic
      Thanks man, really appreciated. What do you mean by taking down your payment button though? How do you put one up?

      I've too, have had that problem with getting overwhelmed. I wasn't sure how to address it though.
      Signature

      Become more effective by learning HOW to learn—http://diehardoptimist.com/

      Like stories? Want a cheap .99 cent one? Find it at http://payhip.com/b/UKbz

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4830937].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author vtotheyouknow
        Originally Posted by HawkPrecision View Post

        Thanks man, really appreciated. What do you mean by taking down your payment button though? How do you put one up?

        I've too, have had that problem with getting overwhelmed. I wasn't sure how to address it though.
        Anytime, brother! :-)

        If you want to get a lot of orders, putting a payment button directly into your thread will encourage people to act NOW (if your copy is decent) who might otherwise say "screw it!" because contacting you via PM or email just to order is too much of a hassle. Funny but true. Put as few steps in between your product/service and your customer as possible...preferably ONE!

        Creating a button:

        If you're using paypal, you go to the payment buttons section in your paypal account and create a new button. Be sure to use the "email" button code which comes out in the form of a URL. Then you download the "add to cart" image of your choice and upload it on one of your sites.

        Then when you write the copy for your article writing service, simply click on the link button and place your button code in it. Instead of placing text in between the link tags, click on the image button and put your image URL in it. Center it and voila! you have a payment button. To remove it, just copy and paste the code into a text file on your computer and save it for when you want to put it back up again.


        Overwhelm:

        There's no getting around overwhelm if you're writing all of your articles yourself. It's not a scalable business model, which is why I stopped doing it and frankly it's unbelievably tedious. But it's good to have an article writing thread posted so whenever you need some extra cash, put your payment buttons back up and go make worthwhile, valuable posts around the forum. People will follow the sig link to your thread and buy. Quality articles will always be in demand.

        Vic
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4831039].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Craig Roberts
          Banned
          I usually charge USD 20 for a 400 word article. That is the best price for the current market, I feel..
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832089].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Zaheera
            Originally Posted by PaulHibbert View Post

            I usually charge USD 20 for a 400 word article. That is the best price for the current market, I feel..
            Are you know, your price is still high. your competitors sell it at $1/100 words. If you visit warrior for hire you see it some persons take it more less than even this $1.

            I am angry towards them.

            I am wondered how they offer that price? its damage to market.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832117].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author AnniePot
              Originally Posted by Zaheera View Post

              Are you know, your price is still high. your competitors sell it at $1/100 words. If you visit warrior for hire you see it some persons take it more less than even this $1.

              I am angry towards them.

              I am wondered how they offer that price? its damage to market.
              To be perfectly frank Zaheera, if your post is an example of your writing abilities, $1 per 100 words would be expensive. Sorry if I appear blunt, but as a writer myself, I cringe whenever I see flawed prose.

              By the way, I charge way above any price quoted above and am in the happy position of turning down work.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832256].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Zaheera
                Originally Posted by AnniePot View Post

                To be perfectly frank Zaheera, if your post is an example of your writing abilities, $1 per 100 words would be expensive. Sorry if I appear blunt, but as a writer myself, I cringe whenever I see flawed prose.

                By the way, I charge way above any price quoted above and am in the happy position of turning down work.
                Well set! its not my articles not my sales. its the market position. Now what you say?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833240].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author valmillercorl
          Originally Posted by vtotheyouknow View Post

          Anytime, brother! :-)

          If you want to get a lot of orders, putting a payment button directly into your thread will encourage people to act NOW (if your copy is decent) who might otherwise say "screw it!" because contacting you via PM or email just to order is too much of a hassle. Funny but true. Put as few steps in between your product/service and your customer as possible...preferably ONE!

          Creating a button:

          If you're using paypal, you go to the payment buttons section in your paypal account and create a new button. Be sure to use the "email" button code which comes out in the form of a URL. Then you download the "add to cart" image of your choice and upload it on one of your sites.

          Then when you write the copy for your article writing service, simply click on the link button and place your button code in it. Instead of placing text in between the link tags, click on the image button and put your image URL in it. Center it and voila! you have a payment button. To remove it, just copy and paste the code into a text file on your computer and save it for when you want to put it back up again.


          Overwhelm:

          There's no getting around overwhelm if you're writing all of your articles yourself. It's not a scalable business model, which is why I stopped doing it and frankly it's unbelievably tedious. But it's good to have an article writing thread posted so whenever you need some extra cash, put your payment buttons back up and go make worthwhile, valuable posts around the forum. People will follow the sig link to your thread and buy. Quality articles will always be in demand.

          Vic
          This is more great info.! Never thought about the payment button in a thread.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832746].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author valmillercorl
      Well said!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ghostrecon
    If you are willing to conduct proper research, and produce quality written articles. I would say $20-$25 for 500 words is a good price. Otherwise, $30+
    Signature

    PinPioneer.com - Proprietary Pinterest Marketing Software
    1000 Pins Uploaded PER Hour
    Use code: WFPioneer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4831043].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by ghostrecon View Post

      If you are willing to conduct proper research, and produce quality written articles. I would say $20-$25 for 500 words is a good price. Otherwise, $30+

      I suspect that you did not properly research pricing in this industry, before you gave your answer. :p
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4835262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    I started off at a very low rate to get work and also because I can type super fast, but ended up raising my rates after a few clients told me I should be charging much more. It took me about a week after raising my rates to make the transition and now I work about half as much and make more money than I used to.

    Benjamin Ehinger
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4831502].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tande
    Well, it depends on the niche and how demanding it is,
    I started with low charges but since am now well acquainted a 500 words article can go for $10.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4831521].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zaheera
    Hi,

    I am also confiused in this matter.

    if i take prices too low than my expenses does not meet and if take prices high than customer ignore my offers.

    Dear Warriors, I am worried about it also.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    If price is your only concern, then thats a worry.

    As an employer, Im more concerned about

    1. Quality
    2. Reliability
    3. Communication skills
    4. Promptness

    .....etc etc etc
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheila Dunfrey
    A friend of mine who is a writer with a rate of $5 per article (500 words). I know this is very cheap. She is a good writer and she doesn't deserved to charged $5 per article.

    For me a good writer deserves to have a fair rate in terms of making an article/s.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
    Depends on 3 factors;

    - Actual writing ability
    - Who your target customers are
    - How well you market yourself to them

    -Chris
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shalinimittal
    Banned
    Nice Advice Vic...
    Signature
    Shalinimadhav@gmail.com
    www.shalinimittal.com - Skype Id - shalini.mittal41
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833145].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hamida Harland
      When I did freelance writing a few years back I was getting paid £25 an article (at the time that worked out at about $50 per 500 word article, it's less now though).

      I found the job on Craigslist and was writing about 10 articles per week.

      It was great because I was earning more than minimum wage for just 2 hours work per day, and still working in my full time job.

      I don't believe writing jobs like that are particularly easy to come by though, I acknowledge that I probably got lucky with that one!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blillard
    Know what your worth and never be scared to ask for the money. If your offering quality over quantity and still give quantity then you're in a position to win. When it come to content you get what you pay for.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jgant
    I don't write articles for money, but I'm the webmaster for some offiline business websites and I know some business owners will pay way more than $20 per 600 word article if you become extremely knowledgeable in their industry.

    Choose an industry, research it and write killer articles and you'll be able to approach businesses in your industry and charge a premium. Think dentists, chiropractors, professionals, tradespersons, etc. BUT, your work needs to be top-notch and detailed. If I were to write articles for a living, this is the approach I would take.
    Signature
    How I hit $10,000+ per month very fast w/ 1 niche blog - Click Here to learn more (no opt-in).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833771].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author m2weblogs
      Hello all,
      It is really a nice discussion going on there! A lot of information too! But will anybody tell, where will I get those clients paying $20 to $50 for 500 words?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4833962].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rhinocl
        Originally Posted by m2weblogs View Post

        Hello all,
        It is really a nice discussion going on there! A lot of information too! But will anybody tell, where will I get those clients paying $20 to $50 for 500 words?
        If you pm me and send me $50, I'll send you a copy of a 500 word article explaining it all.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pennington33
    $10 bucks for 500 words but if know how to write really good articles you can sale them for $15 for 500 words
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834731].message }}

Trending Topics