[SOLVED] Aweber and the "777" question

33 replies
I have been building lists for so long and never had a problem.

I created a brand new list not long ago (literally about 15min ago)
and when subscribers opt-in, in the "Last Message" column - it says that "777" which I believe it refers to the number 777 message that they last received(refer to the screenshot below).



BUT WAIT, that doesn't make sense - my first follow-up should be message number "#1" .. shouldn't be #777, and so I subscribed myself into the list - and noticed that, subscribers that displayed that they received #777 message didn't even receive anything, even the #1 follow-up welcome email.

(By the way, this list is single opt-in, yet- show of the subscribers on the stats table still shows as "confirmation"... I have no idea why)

Any ideas?
#acting #aweber #weird
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    That is very odd. Hopefully it's a temporary glitch.

    Do you have any double opt-in lists that you can compare it to?

    Other than that, you may have to contact AWeber support and see if they can offer an explanation.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832591].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Craig Roberts
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      That is very odd. Hopefully it's a temporary glitch.

      Do you have any double opt-in lists that you can compare it to?

      Other than that, you may have to contact AWeber support and see if they can offer an explanation.

      All the best,
      Michael
      Michael, sometimes the aweber team takes a little longer to respond, especially on weekends..Hope you get that fixed soon though!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832649].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
        Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

        That is very odd. Hopefully it's a temporary glitch.

        Do you have any double opt-in lists that you can compare it to?

        Other than that, you may have to contact AWeber support and see if they can offer an explanation.

        All the best,
        Michael
        Originally Posted by PaulHibbert View Post

        Michael, sometimes the aweber team takes a little longer to respond, especially on weekends..Hope you get that fixed soon though!
        That is frustrating :/
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4832781].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
    For some reason, this problem is still occuring!!!!

    Someone help :/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834173].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      If you go in quickly and add #2 message as a copy of #1
      to be delivered 1 day later

      then change the 777's to 1's

      Tomorrow they'll get message 2

      Temporary solution and a bit of a pain
      but it should do the trick.


      .
      Signature

      Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
      Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834222].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
        Originally Posted by helisell View Post

        If you go in quickly and add #2 message as a copy of #1
        to be delivered 1 day later

        then change the 777's to 1's

        Tomorrow they'll get message 2

        Temporary solution and a bit of a pain
        but it should do the trick.


        .
        Thanks for the great idea - I've set the follow-ups up like that in the hope of retrieving back those subscribers' attention.

        Hopefully 2 days later, I can change the follow-ups back - otherwise new subscribers are going to receive 2 copies of message 1 :O

        haha.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4836398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    P.S. I think single opt in with aweber is a complete myth

    I've been with them 7 years...virtually nil complaints
    Have the correct account to supposedly have single opt in as an
    option...but they assured me that single opt in is really
    not the way their system works.

    They attempt to double opt in so many different isp's that
    single opt in isn't worth bothering with (although there are advantages
    especially with repeat customers and multiple products)
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834241].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author VinnyBock
      It could be me, but I've noticed quite a few bugs with aweber, maybe the most annoying is after you save the out going messages the links sometimes get a 20% at the end, does that happen to anyone else? :confused:
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834323].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
        Originally Posted by VinnyBock View Post

        It could be me, but I've noticed quite a few bugs with aweber, maybe the most annoying is after you save the out going messages the links sometimes get a 20% at the end, does that happen to anyone else? :confused:
        You've entered the destination for the URL with a space at the end, which AWeber has dutifully converted to a %20 because they're in that strange little valley of stupidity where they're too dumb to trim whitespace at the end of the URL but smart enough to URL-encode that whitespace.
        Signature
        "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winseosoft
    I used aWeber untill last month , then switch to other..
    The reason I did this is because they experienced lots of problems and I talk to them and said they will solve them in no time , 2 weeks passed and nothing.
    When somebody that used yahoo mail submited my form they were not getting nothing , not even the confirmation mail and I talk to them once more and said that the problems still wasn't solved but they will try to solve it quicker.
    I couldn't afford to lose customers so I went for other and all was good then.
    Now I see that they have different sorts of problems so I guess they will lose lots of customers...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834783].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Technology
    Banned
    I have stopped using Aweber due to the numerous problems I had with the program at the wrong times! There are many commensurate alternatives.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4834867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
    There are really some bugs here and there when using AWebers service I suppose - perhaps I'm using it the incorrect way? I don't know -- but it's just frustrating how it's costing me what? $140ish/month? but with a dodgey system that doesn't even opt-in subscribers, and send follow-ups properly.

    If they don't recommend or even say that single opt-in is not the way how the system works, why would you even put up a "switch" to allow users to enable/disable?

    I really can't afford to lose more customers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4836384].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roy Carter
      Interesting that nobody else has yet come in and said they are having the same problem.
      Does perhaps lead you to think that maybe it's an isolated incident.

      Please let everyone know if this is resolved and what Aweber say caused the problem.

      Thanks.
      Signature
      "How To Hang Out On Various Exotic Islands Whilst Still Making Shed Loads Of Money...and stuff!" - Get your FREE ISSUE entitled...'A Quick, Easy $2,000 In Your Pocket By This Weekend!'
      >> ---> http://LettersFromASmallIsland.com/sq1.html <--- < <
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4836411].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
        Originally Posted by Roy Carter View Post

        Interesting that nobody else has yet come in and said they are having the same problem.
        Does perhaps lead you to think that maybe it's an isolated incident.

        Please let everyone know if this is resolved and what Aweber say caused the problem.

        Thanks.
        Should I even try to contact them? I don't expect them to reply me with the problem solved, at least in some time soon.

        I'm currently using "helisell"s method of retrieving back those lost subscribers :/
        hopefully, it should work.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4836448].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
        Originally Posted by Roy Carter View Post

        Interesting that nobody else has yet come in and said they are having the same problem.
        Does perhaps lead you to think that maybe it's an isolated incident.

        Please let everyone know if this is resolved and what Aweber say caused the problem.

        Thanks.
        Not an isolated incident, 4 of our lists are experiencing problems
        for almost a wk now. we are end running the issues manually...

        the funny thing, is that MOST of our lists are NOT having an issue
        and are running perfect.
        Signature

        Selling Ain't for Sissies!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4842849].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

          Not an isolated incident, 4 of our lists are experiencing problems
          for almost a wk now. we are end running the issues manually...

          the funny thing, is that MOST of our lists are NOT having an issue
          and are running perfect.
          Are your lists having the same problems as mine?

          And all my other lists are working perfectly fine except for that only problematic list on my account :/
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4842898].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
          Originally Posted by lcn View Post

          Should I even try to contact them? I don't expect them to reply me with the problem solved, at least in some time soon.
          Lcn, are you saying you haven't even contacted them yet? You pay around $140 a month and you haven't even told them about the problem?

          Seriously chap, instead of hoping someone might just pop in here and shed some light on this at least tell Aweber about this, you started this thread 2 days ago now.
          Signature

          Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4842919].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
            Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

            Lcn, are you saying you haven't even contacted them yet? You pay around $140 a month and you haven't even told them about the problem?

            Seriously chap, instead of hoping someone might just pop in here and shed some light on this at least tell Aweber about this, you started this thread 2 days ago now.
            Yeah, still waiting for their reply.... hopefully i'll get some response very soon!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4842947].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
              Originally Posted by lcn View Post

              Yeah, still waiting for their reply.... hopefully i'll get some response very soon!
              Got some updates here:
              Alan Jackson: [8:55:37 AM] When you see #777 as a last message, it means that too many subscribers were added from the same IP address in a short period of time. When this happens, we temporally pause the addition of subscribers until we can look into to it further. Assuming everything is okay, we resume the send of the messages.
              To alleviate the problem, I would suggest making sure that your subscribers are aware of the information you are providing and are aware of what they are signing up for.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4843371].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
                Alan Jackson: [8:55:37 AM] When you see #777 as a last message, it means that too many subscribers were added from the same IP address in a short period of time. When this happens, we temporally pause the addition of subscribers until we can look into to it further. Assuming everything is okay, we resume the send of the messages.

                So it seems that Aweber isn't so "f*ing dodgey" after all. Rather, it sounds like they were protecting your account from someone else's dodgey behavior.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4843403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coby
    September was the "black month" for Aweber... They are still recovering...

    You basically have two options... Stick it out or go somewhere else...

    It will likely get resolved - question is how long can you wait?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4837071].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
      Originally Posted by Coby View Post

      September was the "black month" for Aweber... They are still recovering...

      You basically have two options... Stick it out or go somewhere else...

      It will likely get resolved - question is how long can you wait?
      I think I'm going to test out more - I believe AWeber is not that weak :/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4837146].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Coby
        Originally Posted by lcn View Post

        I think I'm going to test out more - I believe AWeber is not that weak :/
        Might be a good tip to start spreading your eggs around...

        My buddies always gave me a hard time because I've used as many as 6 autoresponders at once...

        They all used Aweber only...

        Then Aweber gets blacklisted by Yahoo and everyone craps their pants...

        Sometimes it's best to be prepared for the worst
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4837216].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
          Originally Posted by Coby View Post

          Might be a good tip to start spreading your eggs around...

          My buddies always gave me a hard time because I've used as many as 6 autoresponders at once...

          They all used Aweber only...

          Then Aweber gets blacklisted by Yahoo and everyone craps their pants...

          Sometimes it's best to be prepared for the worst
          Having 6 autoresponders at once, thats some huge expense if not yet making some profits out of them....

          Sigh, and the problem here comes again today - they are all displaying last message = 777.. wtf :/

          anyone had this experience?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4842489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author williamtan
    I have a ticket with Aweber for nearly 2 weeks but no resolution from them yet. Mine is I have added the email parser in Paypal but sub are not added to the list even when payments were successful. Rather disappointing the response time is so long.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4837107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
      Originally Posted by williamtan View Post

      I have a ticket with Aweber for nearly 2 weeks but no resolution from them yet. Mine is I have added the email parser in Paypal but sub are not added to the list even when payments were successful. Rather disappointing the response time is so long.
      Open a live chat with them, they're actually pretty efficient!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4846866].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Vegaed1
        Here is the solution to 777 in aweber from aweber:

        "As for the message #777, this was a security feature that was triggered when there is a large amount of subscribers added to your account in a short time. We want to make sure that it is not a SPAM bot that is in your account so we go in and take a look to make sure everything is okay with the account.If you want your subscribers to receive all your Follow Up messages, you would need to reset their message number to 0 and that will send out the first Follow Up message to them"



        I hope this helps some out.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6252194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    I'm so glad you got it worked out.

    This is completely after the fact, and I didn't see anybody else suggest it, but perhaps the answer is already listed in their FAQ section.

    If not, maybe a friendly suggestion to them would get it added.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4844057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suthan M
    Originally Posted by marketm View Post

    I have used both, but mailchimp is so wonderful

    Hello Mailchimp user, :-)

    I got a question to you: What will happen to your account if you send a affiliate promo unknowingly i.e your staff loaded wrong email messages or you seriously just forgot the rule? How will they find out if it is a affiliate link btw?
    Signature

    Whats the latest movie you watched? Anything good?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4844114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Coby
      Originally Posted by Suthan M View Post

      Hello Mailchimp user, :-)

      I got a question to you: What will happen to your account if you send a affiliate promo unknowingly i.e your staff loaded wrong email messages or you seriously just forgot the rule? How will they find out if it is a affiliate link btw?
      Mailchimp scans each message...

      My MC account got banned just for MENTIONING to my CUSTOMERS that they COULD get 100% commission on the product they just purchased...

      MC is not for anyone that plans to do affiliate marketing it is clearly stated in their TOS that it isn't allowed...

      Heck, I just mentioned it and got banned didn't even have affiliate links in the email
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4846736].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
        Originally Posted by Coby View Post

        Mailchimp scans each message...

        My MC account got banned just for MENTIONING to my CUSTOMERS that they COULD get 100% commission on the product they just purchased...

        MC is not for anyone that plans to do affiliate marketing it is clearly stated in their TOS that it isn't allowed...

        Heck, I just mentioned it and got banned didn't even have affiliate links in the email
        Huh? That sucks.
        Isn't email marketing all about building trust and then "affiliate market"?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4846857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zx10guy
    I *just* experienced this issue as well. I paid for advertising and was expecting signups and my signups were expecting immediate information. Some of my opt-ins got info hours later and many didn't get anything until I dropped into a chat with Aweber and asked about 777.

    They apologized and seemed unconcerned that their actions took place in the middle of a large ad buy and potentially cost me lost ROI. You know, a "we'll give ya 10% off next month" would've at least been a bit thoughtful.


    Here's a slightly-edited snippet of our conversation:

    Aweber:
    apologize for any inconvenience. I can see the subscribers that did not receive the first follow up. A security measure was triggered due to the large amount of subscribers being added at that time. In order to prevent potential abuse, the first follow up was paused.

    Me:
    But...your answer is a little troublesome.....I was doing advertising which, of course, would bring in a lot of traffic. So if I advertise, you'll stop delivery of my emails?

    Aweber:
    Typically once its Ok'd it should not be an issue.

    Me:
    still, I'm worried...I paid over $800 for advertising and you paused me...essentially rendering part of my advertising useless

    Aweber:
    Gotcha, well you will be white listed now and you should be good to go in the future.

    Me:
    That's awesome....but, well, I'm kinda troubled now A chunk of my pricey effort was negated for no apparent reason.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660951].message }}

Trending Topics