Anyone Else have a wife (or hubby) who thinks they are a magician?

26 replies
Get your mind out of the gutter!

I am talking when it comes to making money?

My wife is clueless, despite me oft explaining how I make money online.

All she knows is I do stuff on the computer, twiddle some keys, wave the magic mouse around and then HOCUS POCUS we have money!

She still is amazed when Yahoo sends a check TO US...except now it's "can I have it?" before its even opened.:p (always yes)

My wife is very intelligent, degreed, professional linguist (translator for government, Medical and Corporations)...yet I think I FINALLY got her to understand what passive and passive residual income is.....just this week!

Now, she is fine with my regular brick and mortar businesses (which I will always have as I believe in creating jobs and supporting my local economy)...but when it comes to the REAL gravy...she just don't get it.

Ironically, I teach people how to become successful through the internet.

I can't say I have put my wife through any courses, classes or even coaching sessions...not that I wouldn't, she just pretty much isnt interested. (spoiled? i dunno)

Just wondering if it is just me or not.
#clueless #hubby #husband #internet marketing #magician #spouse #thinks #wife
  • Profile picture of the author archer29
    She's just wired differently than you. It's not better or worse, just different. My husband is a computer geek and sells refurbished computers and parts on ebay and has been at it for a couple years. In the beginning he was working as an IT manager for a major corporation and got laid off a year ago. Fortunately, his ebay business has done well and wasn't impacted by the layoff. I got him started in the first place and a year ago I suggested that he start a website and gradually move his business off ebay and keep a larger portion for himself. He could also use the site to earn commissions with affiliates.

    He has yet to do this! He still pays those ebay fees that keep going up and he's got a great repeat customer base that would easily follow him to his own website.

    The point is, he's making money on ebay and doesn't mind being totally dependent on them. I suppose it's like having a winning marketing system but if you could pay less in advertising costs, keep more of the pie, wouldn't you do it?

    One of my goals for this year is to build his site and show him the possibilities that exist without ebay. Like your wife, he's highly intelligent, but just wired differently.
    Signature

    Waste some time and follow me on twitter!

    The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person already doing it - Confucious

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[432748].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
      Originally Posted by archer29 View Post

      She's just wired differently than you. It's not better or worse, just different. My husband is a computer geek and sells refurbished computers and parts on ebay and has been at it for a couple years. In the beginning he was working as an IT manager for a major corporation and got laid off a year ago. Fortunately, his ebay business has done well and wasn't impacted by the layoff. I got him started in the first place and a year ago I suggested that he start a website and gradually move his business off ebay and keep a larger portion for himself. He could also use the site to earn commissions with affiliates.

      He has yet to do this! He still pays those ebay fees that keep going up and he's got a great repeat customer base that would easily follow him to his own website.

      The point is, he's making money on ebay and doesn't mind being totally dependent on them. I suppose it's like having a winning marketing system but if you could pay less in advertising costs, keep more of the pie, wouldn't you do it?

      One of my goals for this year is to build his site and show him the possibilities that exist without ebay. Like your wife, he's highly intelligent, but just wired differently.

      DEFINITELY wired different...not just different exact opposite

      I teach about personality profiles often in business and ministry and on a quadrant based system, my wife is the EXACT opposite of me.

      She is much more introverted and averse to risk, whereas I am totally extroverted and am open to (...er..get turned on maybe?) by risk. lol
      Signature
      Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
      Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winebuddy
    My wife is the same way - she doesn't understand what I am doing. All she knows is that money magically appears in our checking account or in the form of checks in the mail.

    I just tell her I'm selling books.

    At first, she complained because I spent a goshawful lot of time on the computer. Now she gets it when I say I have to "work".

    Why? Because now she sees the link between time on the keyboard and cash coming in...
    Signature
    birminghamshootingrange.comfor sale |"Knowledge is NOT power... ACTION on Knowledge is power"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[432767].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Brian
      My girlfriend actually works for an internet marketing company. I've been wondering for aeons why she don't want do it herself at least as a sideline, instead of just being an employee of someone else since she totally understand how things work. Guess she ain't much of a risk taker and prefers guaranteed paychecks.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[432777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winebuddy
    I'll tell you what kind of "magic" I'd like to know how to do...

    If I could figure out a way to get her to do link exchanges and other SEO work while I'm at my "real J-O-B". Now THAT would be magic!
    Signature
    birminghamshootingrange.comfor sale |"Knowledge is NOT power... ACTION on Knowledge is power"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[432792].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Keith Boisvert
      My wife DOES think I am a magician.

      Once I get on the computer I can make myself disappear for hours on end.


      keith
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[432922].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cliffmaster
        I'm in the same boat as you. But it's not only the wife, it's the kids too. They just don't understand why I spend hours on the PC. Even when I try to explain to other family members on just what I do, it's like trying to explain 10th grade science to a two year old.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433094].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
      Originally Posted by winebuddy View Post

      I'll tell you what kind of "magic" I'd like to know how to do...

      If I could figure out a way to get her to do link exchanges and other SEO work while I'm at my "real J-O-B". Now THAT would be magic!

      you are reading my mind! man, she is so good at admin type stuff...imagine if she was just posting to craigslists, forums, youtube etc...man...i would save a ton in outsourcing...and probably get twice as much saturation!
      Signature
      Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
      Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433947].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Makabongwe Maseko
        Originally Posted by igrowyourbiz.com View Post

        you are reading my mind! man, she is so good at admin type stuff...imagine if she was just posting to craigslists, forums, youtube etc...man...i would save a ton in outsourcing...and probably get twice as much saturation!
        Now this got me really laughing,

        Just Imagine, That Would Be Tight !!!!!!
        Signature

        Website Design | App Creation | Video Marketing | Social Media | Web Hosting

        ==> SlashTouch.Com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[434930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    My wife is the same... once when I had a particulary good
    day she just shook her head and said... "who wouldn't want
    to be you? You dink around on the computer whenever you
    like and people send you money."

    She likes the whole thing even though she doesn't really
    understand how it works...

    Tsnyder
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jessica Lynn
    My boyfriend is also confused about how I make my money, but he loves it anyway. He also loves the fact that my skills are a big help to his own business.

    On the other hand, I get the feeling that relatives I don't see very often think I'm a dependent, stay-at-home mom when they hear I don't have a real job. :rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bearly09
    My boyfriend is the way some of your wives are. I'm still new at this so I don't have much faith yet but he doesn't understand why I'm always on the computer writing and stuff. And he thinks it's all a scam.. but I told him that it will pay off (and I sure hope it does )
    Signature

    Today is your day! See How I Make Money Online

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433457].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 123andyt
      I am at the stage where it is only just beginning to pay off for me, so not quite there yet but hope to be very soon!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OmarNegron
    lol yep I know exactly what you mean.

    Some people just don't understand...

    But it doesn't matter because we all have to continue to come together and do what we do!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433870].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Williams
      My girlfriend always bounces into the room and asks me cheerily, "You playing around with your websites again?" Oy vey ...

      I've given up explaining anything. I usually just say "Yeah" and go take some aspirin.

      ~Jeff
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
    well wife's playing WoW...and i am usually programming, she "kind of" knows where the money comes from.
    Signature
    *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
    -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
    *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
    Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433950].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
      Originally Posted by GeorgR. View Post

      well wife's playing WoW...and i am usually programming, she "kind of" knows where the money comes from.
      your wife plays video games! man, you are BLESSED!
      Signature
      Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
      Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433955].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jim Hallmark
        My wife is pretty bottom line. When I first started doing IM I was so excited that I naively promised her we'd be rich by Christmas. She told me to quit wasting my time with IM because I would never make a dime. How's that for a self esteem builder?

        Fortunately, I didn't listen to her. I made some rookie mistakes initially and it took me a few weeks to figure out what I was doing wrong but when I got my first Paypal deposit for $300 she stopped talking smack.

        Nope, it wasn't the riches I had promised her but she could now see that money could be made on the internet with a little focus and work. Now she's my biggest fan.

        Cheers
        Signature
        "Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!" Mike Dooley
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[434249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
    yup... our "real" job is messin around on the computer


    IM Magicians....UNITE!

    man, maybe we should start a spousal support group, so they all can get together when we are working.

    It would have to be a Teleconference or webinar of course
    Signature
    Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
    Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[433952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MRomeo09
    Actually my first success was with my wife's business. On a lark, I started fooling with her website with this new fangled SEO stuff I had read about.

    Then the phone started ringing for her very small, very niche local business. Now we've moved to a larger city, and she's making between $4-5k a month all from local SEO and PPC, and she's a stay at home mom that works between 6-10 hours a week.

    So yeah, I think she appreciates me.
    Signature
    We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up ... discovering we have the strength to stare it down. - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Your opinion of yourself becomes your reality. If you have all these doubts, then no one will believe in you and everything will go wrong. If you think the opposite, the opposite will happen. It’s that simple.-Curtis Jackson- 50 Cent
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[434267].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cliffmaster
      Originally Posted by MRomeo09 View Post

      Now we've moved to a larger city, and she's making between $4-5k a month all from local SEO and PPC, and she's a stay at home mom that works between 6-10 hours a week.

      Thats good for only 6 to 10 hours of work.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[434416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Writing Pete
    My wife actually started internet marketing and freelancing for internet marketers before me. I thought she was a magician, and now I'm just following in her footsteps!
    Signature
    Article Writing: -- www.NetExpertPlus.com -- $5.99 Per Article!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[434585].message }}
  • I just know at some point I will regret saying this but here goes.

    My wife does not suspect me of being a magician.

    Rather she is the magician herself. And she has 3 apprentice magicians - being my son and two daughters.

    Somehow or other, despite the fact that I was able to double my income from last year, magically I still am left with only a few extra grand in the bank. The money disappears without trace.

    Not only that, but I have seen the trick before ( I just know I have ) and I am certain I know how it works but somehow the "effect" ( that's conjurors jargon ) ....remains the same.

    Can anyone explain to me the basics of this mystifying disappearing act?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[434594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelPaul
    Well I don't really have a problem with my wife understanding anymore. When I first started over 7 years ago she would say "why don't you take a break and quit playing on that computer all day".

    That use to burn me up, until we started getting checks and direct deposits from google and other places.... Now it's more of "honey why don't you take a break you have been working so hard in there all day". I like that and she likes the money... What more can I say.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[434950].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
      Originally Posted by MichaelPaul View Post

      Well I don't really have a problem with my wife understanding anymore. When I first started over 7 years ago she would say "why don't you take a break and quit playing on that computer all day".

      That use to burn me up, until we started getting checks and direct deposits from google and other places.... Now it's more of "honey why don't you take a break you have been working so hard in there all day". I like that and she likes the money... What more can I say.
      how long did it take?

      I was successful in this before her and I got married, she is just now starting to have a flicker of a lightbulb

      In march is our 5 year anniversary

      my goal is this year to have her doing her own stuff within the next few months and make at least 50k by end of year.
      Signature
      Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
      Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[437689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeewant
    My wife actually taught me to use the internet to market my services, funny, no?
    Signature

    Need content? PM me!
    Great offers for WF members, coupled with unique, intriguing content.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[437733].message }}

Trending Topics