Auto Blogging - Ethical Content Syndication or blatant duplication for benefit?

20 replies
Whats your opinion?


Whilst I have mainly took a back seat on this forum, I still see a lot of questions and WSO's about auto blogging products.
Now although I am probably not the best person to answer this question having not used am auto blogging system, I just wanted to take a look at some of the issues and hear your opinions.
I strongly recommend to my clients an external blog for their ecommerce sites, and I have built a few blogs as linking and traffic sources, that's fine....
We are concerned with the software that will pull all the content of the website from external sources, especial the programs that suggest you build 50, 100 or even more in some cases?

Ethical Content Syndication


Is It?

Well there are many sites on the internal solely based around content syndication, done in the correct way there is nothing wrong with that.
But if the same content is being duplicated many times, not for the benefit of publishing the content, but for pure gain for the blog owner?
Many of these sites have no unique content, does that mean they are simply stuffing the net full of duplicated rubbish?
You tell me?

Dou You have permission?


I know a lot of the blogs use YouTube videos, but what about the other content that is used.
Do you have permission to use it on a commercial site, a site that may endorse a product?

That's enough of my views....

What's Your Opinion?


James
P.S Why have I posted this? Well I want to get certain subjects discussed, out in the open and I love a good debate...
Isn't that what the Warrior Forum used to be about?
#auto #benefit #blatant #blogging #content #duplication #ethical #syndication
  • Profile picture of the author ardley216
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4844663].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by ardley216 View Post

      I just use what ever content i feel like I write half of my content, and copy the rest... I use images and youtube videos.. although ethical...? i'd find it good that someone copied me!
      I don't know which is more distressing and depressing ... the fact that I'm in an industry associated with people who behave like that, with such contempt for the legal and moral rights of others, or the fact that I'm in an industry associated with people who admit it in public, almost as if they imagine that "there's nothing wrong with it". I suppose our best hope is that a lawsuit might eventually change your attitude.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4844689].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JamesRad
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        I don't know which is more distressing and depressing ... the fact that I'm in an industry associated with people who behave like that, with such contempt for the legal and moral rights of others, or the fact that I'm in an industry associated with people who admit it in public, almost as if they imagine that "there's nothing wrong with it". I suppose our best hope is that a lawsuit might eventually change your attitude.
        Well put Alexa

        I can't agree more, it seems as the law of copyright doesn't exist anymore?

        What's even more depressing is the products out there telling people to do this?

        James
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845582].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by JamesRad View Post

          What's even more depressing is the products out there telling people to do this?
          Agreed.

          For what it's worth, if products for sale here ever tell people to do this, it's my understanding (and devout hope) that they will be removed from sale, once that's been reliably demonstrated to the forum authorities.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845638].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Marian
            I automate my blogging by not using other feeds and content than mine. Is that autoblogging - it sure is! And it's ethical and G and other SE wouldn't mind.

            You don't have to use other people's content though I'd add some related videos without any problems (if they're allowed to, of course.)

            Marian
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845869].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JamesRad
              Originally Posted by Marian View Post

              I automate my blogging by not using other feeds and content than mine. Is that autoblogging - it sure is! And it's ethical and G and other SE wouldn't mind.

              You don't have to use other people's content though I'd add some related videos without any problems (if they're allowed to, of course.)

              Marian

              Good Point Marian....

              That's exactly why I asked the question....

              Your own content syndicated, with a mix of vids etc....

              James
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4846258].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesRad
      Originally Posted by ardley216 View Post

      I just use what ever content i feel like I write half of my content, and copy the rest... I use images and youtube videos.. although ethical...? i'd find it good that someone copied me!
      You would find it could if someone copied your work?

      If they did that then it would be a copy of a copy.....

      Where does that end up?

      Reminds me of chinese whispers as a kid, one message in and at the end of the line a totally different message...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845569].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by ardley216 View Post

      I just use what ever content i feel like I write half of my content, and copy the rest... I use images and youtube videos.. although ethical...? i'd find it good that someone copied me!
      What an ass. Not much more to say.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4846340].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Hocking
        I guess it depends on the source of the content.

        If you are using youtube videos and articles placed in directories for the purpose of republication, then I do not see a problem with it.

        The trick is to pull it all together in some unique way to keep your site on Googles good side.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4846375].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MarketingAce
          Originally Posted by John Hocking View Post

          I guess it depends on the source of the content.

          If you are using youtube videos and articles placed in directories for the purpose of republication, then I do not see a problem with it.

          The trick is to pull it all together in some unique way to keep your site on Googles good side.

          Hey, Where can I get content in such places where they will want you to republish their content?

          I have a couple questions since I'm new to the whole RSS and Autoblogging:

          1-I heard that google adsense doesn't allow for duplicate content. Isn't autoblogging the same thing as copying content that's already out there and putting it on your blog? If so, then that's the same thing as duplicate content.

          2-Also I heard that duplicate content hurts your search engine ranking. In this case, autoblogging doesn't sound to smart to me.

          I would appreciate anyones help on these "autoblogging" questions.

          Ace
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4883472].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author way2
      Originally Posted by ardley216 View Post

      I just use what ever content i feel like I write half of my content, and copy the rest... I use images and youtube videos.. although ethical...? i'd find it good that someone copied me!
      <html> <head></head> <body bgcolor="green"> <center><h1>chandan pvt. ltd.</h1></center><hr> <center><h2>employ detils</h2></center> <center><table border="4"><tr><th width="100">Sn.</th><td width="300">name</th><td width="100">salary</th></tr> <table border="4"><tr><th width="100">1</th><td width="300">chandan</th><td width="100">5000</th></tr> </table> </body> </html>
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4849279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CyberSEO
    The ethical side is as simple as this: do not steal copyrighted content - if you syndicating it, make sure you have a permission to do so.

    Is that so hard to understand?
    Signature
    CyberSEO Pro - the almighty content syndicator for WordPress with a wide range of cutting edge AI technologies for SEO, such as OpenAI GPT-3, DALL·E 2, DeepL, Article Forge and others. Show me a better solution and I'll pay you $1000 in reward!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fallen_Angel
    I autoblog my own unique content to various web 2.0 pages and spin text my content and submit to article directories. I do not think what I do is unethical as its my own content that I have written or someone I have paid has written. I do it for the contextual links. I am guilty of using others images but they are in public domain. I also make my own youtube videos.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fallen_Angel
    I also want to add, I find that unique content works best for me in getting a loyal following of my writing and legit targeted traffic.
    I used to do autoblog thing but people see that it is garbage and do not buy or click ads.
    Since using unique content my traffic has increased, my adsense revenue is almost at a point where I can quit my job and i get lots of positive feedback from visitors. I have even had offers for ad placements on my sites. Unique content is way to go.
    I am victim of people stealing my content and spinning it. I hope google recognizes where content originally was placed.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    I think its the second because some bloggers strive to write good content but end up realizing their content is being copied or plain stolen for other marketers purposes of monetization
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4846592].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesRad
      Originally Posted by Fallen_Angel View Post

      I autoblog my own unique content to various web 2.0 pages and spin text my content and submit to article directories. I do not think what I do is unethical as its my own content that I have written or someone I have paid has written. I do it for the contextual links. I am guilty of using others images but they are in public domain. I also make my own youtube videos.
      Nothing wrong with using your own content, thanks for your coments.

      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      What an ass. Not much more to say.
      Lol, can't really add to that.....

      Originally Posted by John Hocking View Post

      I guess it depends on the source of the content.
      Hi John, Hit the nail on the head, the problems is most of the softwre out there encourage feeds from wordpress blogs, this will allow some people to go looking for content from other peoples blogs.

      Originally Posted by Fazal Mayar View Post

      I think its the second because some bloggers strive to write good content but end up realizing their content is being copied or plain stolen for other marketers purposes of monetization
      Hi Fazal

      I think this is one of the problems with autoblogging, fine if it's your content, or from a proper source. But if it's just someone elses blog.....?

      James
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4849246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimboJim
    Honestly, I feel this comes down the source. Syndicating/autoblogging news, or content made specifically for syndication I do not see a problem with, especially if a backlink is used in the content.

    However, that is where I draw the line. Copyright, whether physical or electronic, should always be honored. Stealing is stealing. I have never supported autoblogging, both because it is entirely unethical, it spams search engines and undermines every good SEO tactic, and it fails to honor the people that originally wrote the content.

    People don't write content to have it stolen and placed on someone's autoblog. This also ruins the Internet for everyone, because good writers may feel hesitant to write good material, especially if their content has been stolen before.

    It's a blatant disrespect of copyright and the writer, and should never be used.
    Signature
    Ready for some great content at a low cost?
    PresentPLR Newest Pack: LED Grow Lights
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4849291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesRad
      Originally Posted by KimboJim View Post

      It's a blatant disrespect of copyright and the writer, and should never be used.
      Great comment, it certainly can be used for this and that's wrong.

      I suppose it's the same as many things in the Internet Marketing sector can be used ethical or black hat......

      James
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4849340].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bruce99
    Hi,

    this is slightly tangential but ... I have been trying to find an extension for joomla that allows me to pull DOG news articles for a NEWS kind of section on my homepage. I am only doing this because I have been told that Google needs new content on pages to visit regularly and it may help with my ranking for keywords.

    What is your opinion of this? If the extension provides RSS feeds to sites that want syndication, then surely that is legit, but I am still unsure if this would actually help my site or the fact it provides links out would make an overall negative seo benefit.

    Any views? thanks
    Signature

    just a dog guy.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4849380].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesRad
      Originally Posted by Bruce99 View Post

      Hi,

      this is slightly tangential but ... I have been trying to find an extension for joomla that allows me to pull DOG news articles for a NEWS kind of section on my homepage. I am only doing this because I have been told that Google needs new content on pages to visit regularly and it may help with my ranking for keywords.

      What is your opinion of this? If the extension provides RSS feeds to sites that want syndication, then surely that is legit, but I am still unsure if this would actually help my site or the fact it provides links out would make an overall negative seo benefit.

      Any views? thanks
      Hi Bruce,

      It may be worth asking this as a seperate thread, more people will look at it then.

      Yes Google loves fresh content, but it also likes unique content.

      Not sure if it would benefit your site to just have a feed on there or are you adding unique content to the feed.

      James
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4851380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rsberg
    It can be done ethically, the problem is that most don't. This ofcourse adds fuel to the fire of those who criticize it as a valid form of IM...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4883515].message }}

Trending Topics