!! Aweber Deleted My ENTIRE List WTF!!!!!

by JaniG 32 replies
Hey guys,

i just logged into my aweber acount, and all my 20 lists that combine over 6,000 subscribers have been deleted?

WTF

Does anyone know why this may have happened?

Has this happened to anyone?

Jani G
#main internet marketing discussion forum #aweber #deleted #entire #list #wtf
  • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
    Oh my god. I would panic!

    I never even thought about this possibility.
    Signature
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39321].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Helps
      Were you using single or double opt in?

      I would contact their support. They're usually very good with response. Keep us in touch.

      I feel really bad for you.

      Peter
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39331].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JaniG
        yes i contacted support asap, i hope they can sort it out.

        ANd i was using single opt in fo rmost of my list maybe to many complaints?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39357].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
          Come on, be honest, after reading this thread, how many people went straight over to Aweber to check their list?

          After last night's little hiccup, I know I did! lol

          All there thankfully.

          Commiserations Teamfire, hope it gets sorted for you.

          Peter
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39442].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
            Originally Posted by Peter Bestel View Post

            Come on, be honest, after reading this thread, how many people went straight over to Aweber to check their list?

            After last night's little hiccup, I know I did! lol

            All there thankfully.

            Commiserations Teamfire, hope it gets sorted for you.

            Peter
            I ran so fast with my heart racing in my throat and promised the heavens
            that I'd give up my whole CD collection just to make sure my list didn't bite
            the dust.

            3 years ago, I wouldn't have cared (thought list building was worthless)

            How things can change.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39448].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JaniG
              Ok got a response!

              they told me that all my lists were de-activated for some reason, but i can go in and reactivate them!

              YAY!

              WOW its like i had a hacker log into my acount and deactivate them al!

              i am back up now!

              Thanks guys!

              Jani
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39478].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
                Hey that's good news!

                You really dodged a bullet on that one.

                6,000 names down the toilet will make even the thoughest man cry.
                Signature
                Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39490].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author alexanderberson
                  You didnt have back up of your email lists?

                  Sorry to hear. Thats terrible.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39495].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
                    Originally Posted by alexanderberson View Post

                    You didnt have back up of your email lists?

                    Sorry to hear. Thats terrible.
                    I don't see how backing up your list does much if anything at all.

                    Even if you could download all the info in a CSV file or whatever, if you're
                    using double opt in, you still have to get these people to opt back in. You're
                    going to lose a good portion of your list.

                    Unless the backup actually goes on the Aweber server, I don't see how this
                    solves the problem. They're the ones who have to back up all the data.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39518].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Frank Bruno
                      Most likely Aweber would have a backup.

                      However backing up yourself I believe would solve the issue if it was Awebers fault.

                      It could easily be verifiable with Aweber and I'm sure you could easily work out importing the list givin circumstances such issues on their end.

                      It would seem to me though that since their business relies on clients who have lists, that they would take measures to have backups on hand for each account.

                      Wouldn't you think?

                      Frank Bruno
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39526].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author jjpmarketing
                        If that happened, I would just download the list of emails and import it into some other list... let's call it "aweberscrewedup at aweber dot com". Then send out an email to that list stating that they need to re-verify their membership on the original list.

                        Then most would re-verify. The ones that didn't probably weren't reading your emails to begin with. In the end the lost emails wouldn't be nearly as bad as the entire list vanishing from existence.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39568].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
                Holy crap, Batman! I nearly hurled up my breafast, man. Don't DO THAT! LOL
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39497].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author jjpmarketing
                That is a scary thought. Isn't there a way to export your lists to csv or xml file or something on aweber? Maybe they should implement automated backups or something. If email marketing is your money maker, you could go from $1000's monthly to nada... zilch... nothing...

                Imagine the horror of having to start from scratch on a 30,000+ list. They would have to create an insane asylum just for IM'rs who lost their list. It could spawn a need for a whole new segment of psychologists... Yellow pages would have to create a new category for IM head shrinks.

                All because Aweber deleted your list.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39505].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Michael T.
                  Man 6,000 subscribers?I would get a hart attack.That is a very huge list.
                  Signature

                  Regards...Michael T.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39516].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Jelasco
                    There's a backup option right on their front page.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39520].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
                  Originally Posted by jjpmarketing View Post

                  That is a scary thought. Isn't there a way to export your lists to csv or xml file or something on aweber? Maybe they should implement automated backups or something. If email marketing is your money maker, you could go from $1000's monthly to nada... zilch... nothing...

                  Imagine the horror of having to start from scratch on a 30,000+ list. They would have to create an insane asylum just for IM'rs who lost their list. It could spawn a need for a whole new segment of psychologists... Yellow pages would have to create a new category for IM head shrinks.

                  All because Aweber deleted your list.
                  Actually, that would be one helluva class action lawsuit. **** shrinks, get me Jacoby and Meyers.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39652].message }}
              • Originally Posted by teamfire View Post

                Ok got a response!

                they told me that all my lists were de-activated for some reason, but i can go in and reactivate them!

                YAY!

                WOW its like i had a hacker log into my acount and deactivate them al!

                i am back up now!

                Thanks guys!

                Jani
                I am so glad you got them back. Is there any way you can download all the subscribers to a document you can save on your computer, in case this happens again?
                Signature
                -----------------------------------------


                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39513].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Asher
                  Wow, it's a good thing it's back! I don't have a list of 6000 but I'd probably go bonkers if I lost my current list as well!

                  Congrats! All's well and ends well!

                  Asher
                  Signature
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39521].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author markaustin
                Originally Posted by teamfire View Post

                Ok got a response!

                they told me that all my lists were de-activated for some reason, but i can go in and reactivate them!
                Hey Jani,

                That's great! After I read your opening post I went straight to my Aweber account! Whew! It's all there!

                Mark
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39784].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Headhunting55
                  JJPMarketing has a good point. If you have restored from a backup, and you had to have your whole list re-opt-in, then you might be able to do some list "pruning". If you were providing a good value to your list, then most (maybe ALL) would opt-in again. If you WEREN'T providing any value, then you would certainly find out about it in this situation, and it might tell you something about your business.

                  There are several lists that I'm on that I would ABSOLUTELY jump on again if something like this happened. Wagenheim, Myers, Taylor, and a few others.

                  So this might be a good time to ask your self this question: How many on my list would consider my info valuable enough to want to opt-in again, if the unthinkable happened?

                  It could eye-opening....
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39904].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
              Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

              I ran so fast with my heart racing in my throat and promised the heavens
              that I'd give up my whole CD collection just to make sure my list didn't bite
              the dust.

              3 years ago, I wouldn't have cared (thought list building was worthless)

              How things can change.
              Steve... Can I have your CD collection... LOL

              Hopefully you list is good to go!

              Mike Hill

              PS. I'm checking mine as we speak...
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39711].message }}

Trending Topics