Blog vs Static Landing Page - Which Do YOU Think Converts Better?

24 replies
Alright so I've wondered about this for a while:

Most of my sites only have a blog attached where i put content that I really don't care if people see, but keeps new content showing for the search engines. This is because my main page is usually a lengthy article on the keywords people will be searching for when they land on that page.

However, and maybe this is just because I'm an affiliate marketer, but I've been doing some thinking and if I were to buy from a site, it would probably be from someone who posts regular advice/helpful articles, like a blog style, vs someone who just had one static thing sitting on their site for all eternity with an opt-in in the side, some affiliate links at the bottom of the article etc.

If I think about it, it really wouldn't be that hard to write one new article for each of my niche sites each week if they were a blog, giving new, helpful content, if it was going to increase my trust/opt-ins/overall conversions. My only concern is that you lose that "perfect copy" setup you try to achieve with a landing page because each week you basically need to make sure your new article is as good or better than a static page, as it is the new thing they see right away.

What are your opinions on this, Warriors? What's worked best for you?

Cheers,

- Brandon
#blog #converts #landing #page #static
  • Profile picture of the author climateamante
    @Branlan17

    Here is a specific example of why I stopped doing exactly what your talking about...

    (i am under 15 posts so here is the reference site )

    -->massagetherapyschools.net

    ----

    I was doing research analysis on several affiliate products I was considering.

    When I found this affiliate site I saw that it was doing exactly what your talking about.

    * Ranks well for it SERP terms

    * Scripted copy for SERPS not visitors / readers

    Which is great and I am sure the owner makes money from the site...

    But how long until the "next" google update totally smashes that site?

    Or when the affiliate products change their payout and terms?

    ----

    Even though the site is making money today...

    There is no audience or connection with the people actually wanting to go to a

    massage therapy school.

    ---

    At the bare minimum if there was a "support" or forum section to connect people into

    coming back as repeat viewers it would give that affiliate

    *More options to upsell or promote other products

    (massage books / oils / videos / business advice / etc)

    So yes I strongly suggest you apply more connection with your sites!

    It's been helping my business cash flow with my older affiliate sites.

    ---

    Hope that helps

    Best of luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4890579].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    Personally, I like the blog and here is why. When I put up a blog with product reviews I can make the actual product reviews Static Pages. Then, when I post to the blog with more general posts all my product reviews show up in the menus where I choose to put them.

    This means I get the power of a blog and the content on it plus the benefit of static pages.

    Benjamin Ehinger
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4890583].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Branlan17
      Originally Posted by Benjamin Ehinger View Post

      Personally, I like the blog and here is why. When I put up a blog with product reviews I can make the actual product reviews Static Pages. Then, when I post to the blog with more general posts all my product reviews show up in the menus where I choose to put them.

      This means I get the power of a blog and the content on it plus the benefit of static pages.

      Benjamin Ehinger
      Mind sharing how you do this? I use a Weebly-Pro account right now because I don't have enough money on hand to buy a nice WP theme and i want to by a really professional looking one when I start making my sites in WP instead.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893177].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom Ryan
        I just use a blog and set a static front page. That way the front landing page is always constant yet I have the daily or weekly blog post updates. Works for me.
        Signature


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893225].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
        Originally Posted by Branlan17 View Post

        Mind sharing how you do this? I use a Weebly-Pro account right now because I don't have enough money on hand to buy a nice WP theme and i want to by a really professional looking one when I start making my sites in WP instead.
        I don't buy themes ever. It is too easy to take a free theme and customize the colors, layout, and a little bit more to make it work for me. This can all be done within the code, which there are numerous youtube and written tutorials on the different parts of the code.

        Whenever I am doing something to the code theme I copy the entire code and save it in a notepad file just in case I screw something up. Then, I can mess with it to see what different things do.

        I wouldn't wait to buy a professional wordpress theme considering how many free ones are out there and are very professional.

        Just my 2 cents.

        Benjamin Ehinger
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4894457].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Branlan17
          Originally Posted by Benjamin Ehinger View Post

          I don't buy themes ever. It is too easy to take a free theme and customize the colors, layout, and a little bit more to make it work for me. This can all be done within the code, which there are numerous youtube and written tutorials on the different parts of the code.

          Whenever I am doing something to the code theme I copy the entire code and save it in a notepad file just in case I screw something up. Then, I can mess with it to see what different things do.

          I wouldn't wait to buy a professional wordpress theme considering how many free ones are out there and are very professional.

          Just my 2 cents.

          Benjamin Ehinger
          What free theme(s) do you suggest for affiliate CB marketing niche pages?

          Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

          Nurturing and feeding them and diagnosing and treating their ailments isn't enough for you? You want to interbreed them, now, as well?!
          *Facepalm*
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4894882].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tamimabraham
    Good squeeze page report can be convert more traffic to sale. But personally I love blogs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893238].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author I.M.Warrior
    As Benjamin and Tom explained, you can select your sales page as a static homepage and place a 'recent posts' widget on the sidebar. That way, new posts will be visible to human visitors and easily reached by search engine crawlers for easy indexation. Though, that works for Wordpress, I don't have a slight idea how to do it on Weebly. My advice - switch to Wordpress, if you don't have the budget yet, get a free blog at Wordpress.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893326].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Azarna
      Maybe I totally misunderstood, I am a serious newbie, but why are you writing "content that I really don't care if people see".

      Isn't this just a waste of time? I assumed the point of content was that it was to be read.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893359].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mary Wilhite
    Another vote for blogs here.

    I do quite well on my blogs. I even monetized my sign-up
    by offering an oto and got a surprise to see that some people
    who signed up on my free offers also purchased the oto.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Giani
    Static pages work better for me.

    I have Adsense sites as well as Affiliate sites. The websites created using Frontpage convert more than Wordpress.

    However static wordpress page is also good idea though I have never tried it.
    .
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jodamy
    I like the static home page with a rotating banner for new posts that I've submitted with featured images on them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Branlan17 View Post

    Blog vs Static Landing Page - Which Do YOU Think Converts Better?
    The conversion-rate is determined by the content, not by the content management system.

    The terms "blog" and "static landing page" don't even mean quite what they used to mean, because all sorts of "static sites" are made with "blogging software" and all sorts of regularly updated sites are made without it. It's not much of a distinction, in itself.

    Call me pedantic, if you want, but seriously: it's meaningless to declare - in itself - that either "blogs" or "static sites" convert better than the other. If I showed you one of my landing-pages, you wouldn't be able to tell whether it's a "blog" or a "static site" anyway ... and neither can the customers.

    Originally Posted by Branlan17 View Post

    maybe this is just because I'm an affiliate marketer, but I've been doing some thinking and if I were to buy from a site, it would probably be from someone who posts regular advice/helpful articles, like a blog style, vs someone who just had one static thing sitting on their site for all eternity with an opt-in in the side, some affiliate links at the bottom of the article etc.
    Yes, maybe ... well, what matters is what our customers do ... if you're writing articles, you need to post them on your site first before they go anywhere else anyway, for the long-term SEO benefits accumulating from all those initial indexation-rights which one should never give away, of course. But this doesn't mean you necessarily have to put them (a) on the the landing-page, or (b) at the top of the landing page (but you can always have a "featured post" there, to incentivize your opt-in, and so on - and an article lower down the page?

    Originally Posted by Branlan17 View Post

    My only concern is that you lose that "perfect copy" setup you try to achieve with a landing page because each week you basically need to make sure your new article is as good or better than a static page, as it is the new thing they see right away.

    What are your opinions on this, Warriors? What's worked best for you?
    Yes, I agree with you. That is a concern. Personally, I add new articles but not on the front page. (I suspect that if you're not putting them at the top of the landing-page - and you can't really do that because you have to have your opt-in and stuff related to it, there? - it doesn't realistically make that much difference whether it's lower down the landing-page or on another page?) But an interesting question.

    Many apologies, Brandon: I've owed you a p.m. since the war (I didn't say which war) - please excuse me, coming up tonight.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893514].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    ^^^^^^^^^

    What she said
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IamTJM
    You can get good conversions on both if you have the right content and design. Neither one is superior, it depends on how you do it.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author creature
    I think it depends on what your main subject is and your target audience. For example, my static website on coral reefs does very well traffic-wise because basic coral feef facts change over geological time scales (or at least centuries). So, once it's written, it's good for years and keeps on churning out traffic.

    On the other hand if I developed a site about using social media to drive traffic, the obvious choice would be a blog.

    Combining "static" pages (which I consider those written on an html editor and hosted on other than a blogging platform) with a blog can give you the best of both worlds, IF a blog is appropriate to the subject matter.
    Signature

    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society...Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893723].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Carolyn L.
      Yes I agree with creature. It really depends upon what your topic is and how current it is. On a static site, there's nothing wrong with including a link to relevant posts at the end of your article as well. This can help keep visitors on your site longer and reading related articles. Blogs with the capability to post comments encourages visitor interaction which can also help retain visitors longer.
      Signature
      Visit my limited PLR site- always fresh, unique content. New pack just added!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Branlan17
    For my betta fish site I have going right now, I think I'm going to test out a hybrid... a main "overall care info" article on the main page with links to the 4 most recent blog posts in the sidebar.

    Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4893956].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Branlan17 View Post

      For my betta fish site I have going right now, I think I'm going to test out a hybrid...
      Nurturing and feeding them and diagnosing and treating their ailments isn't enough for you? You want to interbreed them, now, as well?!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4894015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marcuslim
    Keep in mind that Google adwords does not like static landing pages. So if you are thinking of getting paid traffic to a squeeze page, you need a blog, with a sidebar opt-in, or a pop-up box. yahoo and bing are ok with it. So I'd say have both. It's easy to set up both on the same domain.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4894928].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Branlan17
      Originally Posted by marcuslim View Post

      Keep in mind that Google adwords does not like static landing pages. So if you are thinking of getting paid traffic to a squeeze page, you need a blog, with a sidebar opt-in, or a pop-up box. yahoo and bing are ok with it. So I'd say have both. It's easy to set up both on the same domain.
      I'm pretty good with SEO, so I'm sticking to free traffic at least until I build up my income a bit. Right now the site gets around 12,000 uniques per month from searches.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4895016].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discrat
        My authority sites are all blogs. A Matter of fact all my blogs are authority.

        I am not an expert on this and I know many will disagree but in the end if you really put fresh unique content and content that you really know a lot about and can sincerely help others with......... then you will not only survive with Google you will thrive in the long run !!

        My main authority site is a fitness and lose weight one. I could literally right five new posts a day everyday off the top of my head that will help people get healthy and stay in shape.

        This is exactly the intention why Google came in existence. To find genuine material that will help its users !! Not trying to brag but just being honest.

        So keep it unique and Post as regularly as you can (the more the better because google loves this) and be very very helpful to many people and you will not have to worry about ever being slapped by any search engine !
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4895282].message }}

Trending Topics