Stop! Flippa Police - Flippa Police!

45 replies
The other day I browsed the websites for sale at Flippa. I haven't been on there in a while and I was stunned at some of the sales. I almost felt like turning myself into a Flippa police officer to help stop hungry buyers from making pricey mistakes.

I saw....

Numerous sites selling services, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers etc. that were only a couple months old, claiming no work and thousands in sales.

Writing sites that were riddled with grammar errors and claimed X amount in revenue but were charging unlikely fees for articles.

Duplicated sites being sold by others as original design and content.

Premium themes with Script Nulled by XXXX at the bottom. (I imagine this means it was a stolen script).

A site claiming no traffic, no revenue, and no seller "trust" selling for several thousand dollars because of how it was hyped.

Websites that were once cash cows but lost tremendous rankings due to Panda asking for a Pre Panda price and getting it by presenting older data and not what has happened recently.

And more.

In one case a poor buyer was back to try to sell a website he had just bought a few days before for several thousand dollars because it was much more technically challenging than the seller had revealed. He even says in his listing, something to the effect of, " I don't understand this". No bids yet.

In this economy with people desperate to make some cash, I guess many people just aren't doing due diligence. And people sure do take advantage!
#flippa #police #stop
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Wilson
    I don't approve salespage lies but creating a hype is purely marketing.

    All the data is presented and all flippa members are advised not to get into the "this website makes $7000 a day with 10 minutes of work and BIN is set to $2000".

    Buyers are becoming cautious but there are still (I've seen them) many sales escalated due to marketing and creating a hype.
    Signature


    -25% WF PROMO CODE: "WFPROMO911" (expires on 1.1.2012)
    - High search volume keywords , high CPC keywords, easy to rank keywords
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033315].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by Daniel Wilson View Post

      I don't approve salespage lies but creating a hype is purely marketing.

      All the data is presented and all flippa members are advised not to get into the "this website makes $7000 a day with 10 minutes of work and BIN is set to $2000".

      Buyers are becoming cautious but there are still (I've seen them) many sales escalated due to marketing and creating a hype.
      I think there are more and more sceptics on flippa.

      Even faking screenshots is still rife there, but I hate hearing about the horror stories in there.

      If you are gunna buy off flippa, i normally try to deal with someoen with a decent reputation and has sold on there be for. You have to be careful of teh fly by nighters. LOL.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    Flippa is a pretty disappointing marketplace, in my view. Lots of hyped, crap product. Not a lot integrity.

    How many people are really interested in selling a profitable website? It's the easiest business in the world to run.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seth Bias
    I always see in the recently sold list. A site that went for a lot of money and the user who sold it what happened to him ? Banned. Always be careful what you buy in the internet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033355].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Barry Unruh
      Originally Posted by sbias View Post

      Always be careful what you buy in the internet.
      No kidding....Did you know there is some guy on the Warrior Forum who has a $7 script for getting unlimited Facebook Fans...how ridiculous...
      Signature
      Brain Drained...Signature Coming Soon!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033624].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeff Lenney
        Originally Posted by Barry Unruh View Post

        No kidding....Did you know there is some guy on the Warrior Forum who has a $7 script for getting unlimited Facebook Fans...how ridiculous...
        People believe that crap? Sad. Lol
        Signature

        Too lazy to write something clever here, so check out my marketing blog and learn from a REAL Super Affiliate at JeffLenney.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5044527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Samrath Gupta
    According to me its totally a MISTAKE of a BUYER who buys such site's and we should not BLAME FLIPPA because FLIPPA is just a platform which connects buyers and sellers ....

    FACT: I agree that a newbie will easily to a trap by watching such a beautiful website which claims to make $10K a month with NO WORK !

    If a SELLER claims- No Traffic, No Sales, No revenue, Etc..... Then SELLER is 100% correct at his place !

    It depends on the BUYER who buys it ! Running a website will totally depend on the buyer how he manages everything and make money from it....

    Regards
    ~Sam~
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    This is standard crap for Flippa ... it is so full of scam sellers and scam buyers that it's really risky doing business there, particularly if you are new and inexperienced.

    You really need a lot of common sense and know what to look for and what questions to ask before buying.

    As for scam buyers who get the site and then do Paypal chargebacks ... there's very little due diligence you can do about that. Safest bet is to use escrow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033748].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author art72
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      This is standard crap for Flippa ... it is so full of scam sellers and scam buyers that it's really risky doing business there, particularly if you are new and inexperienced.

      You really need a lot of common sense and know what to look for and what questions to ask before buying.

      As for scam buyers who get the site and then do Paypal chargebacks ... there's very little due diligence you can do about that. Safest bet is to use escrow.
      This is exactly the reason, I elected to hold off on selling anything over there. It's NOT just the buyers that need to caution themselves from unruly sellers, many do not realize there are also fraudulent buyers feeding on inexperienced sellers, and after reading several horror stories from all sides of the spectrum, I decided to wait before buying or selling anything over there.

      Sad reality, but there's a lot of people out there that just don't give a damn about the integrity of the industry, so as long as they're making a buck or two, and this isn't limited to Flippa.

      I tend to agree, it's not necessarily Flippa's fault in most cases, but they may need to get a grip on it, or risk their reputation. Some have the same opinion of the WSO section here, and I don't believe that there's more bad then good here, it's just the fact, where there's volume, where there's money...there's scammers trying to get their greedy little fingers into a pie baked in goodness.

      -Art
      Signature
      Coming Soon... *Laser Targeted Lead Generation Services
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033873].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author salegurus
      Originally Posted by Samrath Gupta View Post

      According to me its totally a MISTAKE of a BUYER who buys such site's and we should not BLAME FLIPPA because FLIPPA is just a platform which connects buyers and sellers ....
      Regards
      ~Sam~
      Just like sites selling stolen CC numbers should not be blamed "They are just providing a platform connecting thieves and fraudsters" :rolleyes:
      I bet Flippa still makes their cut regardless...

      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      This is standard crap for Flippa ... it is so full of scam sellers and scam buyers that it's really risky doing business there, particularly if you are new and inexperienced.

      You really need a lot of common sense and know what to look for and what questions to ask before buying.

      As for scam buyers who get the site and then do Paypal chargebacks ... there's very little due diligence you can do about that. Safest bet is to use escrow.
      I think the safest bet is to steer clear of Flippa, there have been way to many threads lately relating to scammers on Flippa.

      PS. Your Flippa thread is awesome, a must read for people still brave enough to use them.

      >Theo
      Signature
      Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

      ― George Carlin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MadMan90
    I use flippa for over a year, and I didn't had any problems until now. The buyer should always verify what the seller says, by asking him to post a proof of what he claims. I he wont do that, it means he tries to scam you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5033923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
    I really don't know what buyer think before bidding, some website are really not worth it and the revenue are not making sense but hitting $$$$ while other may make sense and has a decent listing but people wouldn't go for it probably because it is a business require work and everyone want to jump on the magic passive money maker.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5034142].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
      Originally Posted by onegoodman View Post

      magic passive money maker.
      Just the words to make the sale...

      "no work required"
      "on autopilot"
      "no experience required"
      "xxxx in just x days"
      "sit back and relax"
      "money making machine"
      "unlimited potential"
      "takes hardly any time"
      "cash cow business"
      "huge revenue possibilities"
      "instant $"
      Signature

      Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5034268].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
        Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

        Just the words to make the sale...

        "no work required"
        "on autopilot"
        "no experience required"
        "xxxx in just x days"
        "sit back and relax"
        "money making machine"
        "unlimited potential"
        "takes hardly any time"
        "cash cow business"
        "huge revenue possibilities"
        "instant $"
        lol, I guess these are the keywords buyers are searching for

        It is a shame people are welling to spend a lot of money without really think it through. New website with no work wouldn't make money without doing the work even if it gold maker.

        I will just make sure next time to list a website on flippa, to add one of these magic words
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5044544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imdomination
    If the crap didn't exist then everyone would find the gems and pick them up.

    I agree that it's terrible what some people try and sell on flippa these days, but there will always be people trying to make a quick buck. Luckily, I've noticed a lot of the time these straight-up scams don't get a single bid.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5034328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Faisal Karim
    Great points you make Lilblackdress. Having created and sold web-businesses all my life, witnessing what happens on Flippa makes me cringe. People are literally 'flipping junk' and low and behold there are buyers for it.

    The concept of "due diligence" for the most part has been throw out the window. In fact vast majority of buyers wouldn't even know where to begin to perform real due diligence on a given proposal. I remember a few years back when I sold one of my web projects, the buyer who paid multiple six figures for that business, flew over, we went through my bank statement, merchant account statements, the real P/L numbers and whole lot more. My suppliers became the new buyers' suppliers etc etc. As a seller, I had a real checklist that I worked on before inviting the buyer over to do his due diligence. I knew I was selling a business with a solid foundation, had nothing to hide and once the money was in the bank I had nothing to worry about. The buyer was smart and took the same business to a multi-million dollar operation which he later sold to a venture capital firm. No body does that kind of 'real' due diligence any more.

    Most sellers on flippa aren't selling real businesses. They are selling half-baked, many times fantasticoed and hastily put together web scripts (sometimes half operational and nulled) to dreamers, who drowned in the daze of their dreams, throw away the money. In this age when photoshop is on every computer and get-rich-quick enthusiasts are aplenty, everything is possible. Many many times I have felt that there is a serious void that exists and a real business opportunity available in just doing due diligence for Flippa buyers (you do have to know what you are doing though). I am happily busy with what I am doing, but I hope Flippa can play a more effective role in safeguarding the foolish (but good-hearted) dreamers I mentioned above.

    Anyway, you bring up some good points and I appreciate you touching upon this topic.

    Sellers, please be more responsible when selling, and buyers, please be A LOT MORE responsible when investing your hard-earned dollars.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5034719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cardine
    Even the legitimate looking sites on Flippa are usually scammy in some way shape or form.

    Why do you think the owner is trying to sell? Do you really believe that they are "ready to move onto the next thing?" More likely it's one of the following:
    - Their rankings just dropped and they are trying to sell the site before anyone notices and it's value goes down.
    - Last month they had a far higher CPM in adsense than usual, and Adsense earnings are starting to drop back to normal. Why hold onto a $15/day site, when you randomly have one $30/day month and you can sell it as if it has always made $30/day!
    - The ranks the site with tons of low quality backlinks, knowing full well that in a month or two Google will catch on and the rankings will drop.
    - They ranked a site using sitewide links, and as soon as they sell the site they will switch all of the sitewides to a new site that they'll sell a couple months later (and repeat the process).
    - They sell physical products and their dropshipper told them that they were closing business in a month.
    - They just got banned from the affiliate offer they were promoting (or their Adsense account got banned for ToS violations).

    I'd never buy a site on Flippa unless it was in an industry I'm familiar with. I've made one and only one purchase on Flippa, and it was a site that I knew about before it was listed on Flippa. I had talked to the owner several years earlier (in fact at that time, I even got the traffic stats from the owner so I was able to compare traffic now versus traffic several years earlier). It was in an industry I was familiar with, and I knew customers of the service.

    You can never do enough due dilligence with Flippa; you always have to be careful because in nearly every auction somebody is trying to screw you over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5034805].message }}
    • Originally Posted by cardine View Post

      Even the legitimate looking sites on Flippa are usually scammy in some way shape or form.

      Why do you think the owner is trying to sell? Do you really believe that they are "ready to move onto the next thing?"
      That's a pretty extreme statement.

      I have a 3 year old site I've been thinking of selling on Flippa. There's nothing wrong with it other than I've lost interest. It stopped being fun. Entrepreneurs tend to be adrenaline junkies and pretty much all my energy is tied up in Best of Fiverr.

      And since I haven't listed this site yet and may never do so, I have no reason to lie to you. My situation is probably a lot more common than you think.

      fLufF
      --
      Signature
      Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
      Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5035047].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cardine
        Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

        That's a pretty extreme statement.

        I have a 3 year old site I've been thinking of selling on Flippa. There's nothing wrong with it other than I've lost interest. It stopped being fun. Entrepreneurs tend to be adrenaline junkies and pretty much all my energy is tied up in Best of Fiverr.

        And since I haven't listed this site yet and may never do so, I have no reason to lie to you. My situation is probably a lot more common than you think.

        fLufF
        --
        What I said is not always the case. But if you're a buyer and you don't go into every auction expecting the seller to be trying to screw you over in some way shape or form it will only be a matter of time before you do get ripped off.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5042230].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by cardine View Post

      Even the legitimate looking sites on Flippa are usually scammy in some way shape or form.

      Why do you think the owner is trying to sell? Do you really believe that they are "ready to move onto the next thing?" More likely it's one of the following:
      This isn't even close to the truth. I'd rather build sites to sell than build sites to keep. It's what I do, and there's nothing scammy about building sites for sale, unless you are a scammer and lie about traffic, revenue, etc.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043158].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cardine
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        This isn't even close to the truth. I'd rather build sites to sell than build sites to keep. It's what I do, and there's nothing scammy about building sites for sale, unless you are a scammer and lie about traffic, revenue, etc.
        Just because your auctions are completely legitimate does not mean all (or even most) auctions are legitimate.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5047619].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by cardine View Post

          Just because your auctions are completely legitimate does not mean all (or even most) auctions are legitimate.
          And just because you like to make up "facts" and baseless statistics, doesn't make them true. You seem to know a great deal about CPA offers, like credit repair offers, one of the scammiest businesses around ... but very little about building and selling websites.

          Originally Posted by cardine View Post

          Even the legitimate looking sites on Flippa are usually scammy in some way shape or form.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5047968].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author cardine
            Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

            And just because you like to make up "facts" and baseless statistics, doesn't make them true. You seem to know a great deal about CPA offers, like credit repair offers, one of the scammiest businesses around ... but very little about building and selling websites.
            That is an ad hominem attack. I'd prefer to discuss the topics at hand, as my knowledge of credit repair offers has nothing to do with whether you should be extremely careful and do your own due dilligence when buying on Flippa.

            I was simply trying to point out that lots of legitimate looking sites are in fact not what they seem to be (for instance their rankings just plummeted). I'm not sure why that has warranted you to attack my character so strongly.


            Originally Posted by Flipfilter View Post

            ... That doesnt even make sense!

            There's a lot of bad on Flippa but there's good too, and probably more 'good' (in volume) than any other auction based marketplace. It's easy for people to say it's full of scammers but Flippa have significantly more volume than any other marketplace and hence will attract more bad sites too.

            My guess is if someone came up with a quantitative measure of a 'good' site, and looked at the PERCENTAGE (not number) on Flippa versus Digital Point, or the always disappointing 'Warrior Sites for Sale', it would put things into perspective.
            Just because somebody sells something legitimately on Flippa doesn't mean there aren't scammers on there. I will stick to what I've been saying this entire thread. Never assume an auction is legitimate without doing your own extensive due diligence. If you don't do your own due diligence it will only be a matter of time before a seller takes advantage of you.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048268].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
              Banned
              Originally Posted by cardine View Post

              That is an ad hominem attack. I'd prefer to discuss the topics at hand, as my knowledge of credit repair offers has nothing to do with whether you should be extremely careful and do your own due dilligence when buying on Flippa.

              I was simply trying to point out that lots of legitimate looking sites are in fact not what they seem to be (for instance their rankings just plummeted). I'm not sure why that has warranted you to attack my character so strongly.

              Just because somebody sells something legitimately on Flippa doesn't mean there aren't scammers on there. I will stick to what I've been saying this entire thread. Never assume an auction is legitimate without doing your own extensive due diligence. If you don't do your own due diligence it will only be a matter of time before a seller takes advantage of you.

              Because you painted all sellers with a very broad brush and it simply isn't true.

              I have written many posts on how to avoid getting scammed on Flippa. It's no secret that there are scammers in any marketplace, but to imply that the majority of sellers are scammers is not true.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048286].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author cardine
                Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

                Because you painted all sellers with a very broad brush and it simply isn't true.

                I have written many posts on how to avoid getting scammed on Flippa. It's no secret that there are scammers in any marketplace, but to imply that the majority of sellers are scammers is not true.
                I did not paint sellers with a broad brush. I simply said "expect the worst". It is true that, even if you are looking at legitimate sites, you are still going to run into lots scammers. It is also true that if you do not do your due diligence and assume that, since most sellers are legitimate, that you won't get scammed, then you probably will get scammed.

                I don't think we were disagreeing nearly as much as you thought we were.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048507].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Flipfilter
          Originally Posted by cardine View Post

          Just because your auctions are completely legitimate does not mean all (or even most) auctions are legitimate.

          ... That doesnt even make sense!

          There's a lot of bad on Flippa but there's good too, and probably more 'good' (in volume) than any other auction based marketplace. It's easy for people to say it's full of scammers but Flippa have significantly more volume than any other marketplace and hence will attract more bad sites too.

          My guess is if someone came up with a quantitative measure of a 'good' site, and looked at the PERCENTAGE (not number) on Flippa versus Digital Point, or the always disappointing 'Warrior Sites for Sale', it would put things into perspective.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sitehero
    Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

    The other day I browsed the websites for sale at Flippa. I haven't been on there in a while and I was stunned at some of the sales. I almost felt like turning myself into a Flippa police officer to help stop hungry buyers from making pricey mistakes.

    I saw....

    Numerous sites selling services, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers etc. that were only a couple months old, claiming no work and thousands in sales.

    Writing sites that were riddled with grammar errors and claimed X amount in revenue but were charging unlikely fees for articles.

    Duplicated sites being sold by others as original design and content.

    Premium themes with Script Nulled by XXXX at the bottom. (I imagine this means it was a stolen script).

    A site claiming no traffic, no revenue, and no seller "trust" selling for several thousand dollars because of how it was hyped.

    Websites that were once cash cows but lost tremendous rankings due to Panda asking for a Pre Panda price and getting it by presenting older data and not what has happened recently.

    And more.

    In one case a poor buyer was back to try to sell a website he had just bought a few days before for several thousand dollars because it was much more technically challenging than the seller had revealed. He even says in his listing, something to the effect of, " I don't understand this". No bids yet.

    In this economy with people desperate to make some cash, I guess many people just aren't doing due diligence. And people sure do take advantage!

    Unfortunatly my friend people will always take advantage of other people and this is what flipper is all about in my opinion. I have visited this site on numerous occassions and each time I have been swamped with sellers trying to catch a newby who doesn't understand web development and online businesses. I remember one seller that stuck out like a swore thumb once who was selling a wordpress template that had a premium plugin installed on it and this seller was promoting the website as a unique business oppertunity because of the bespoke setup. He was charging a small fortune for it.
    Most sellers on flipper just take advantage of other peoples lack of knowledge. IMO its a morally bankrupt marketplace. Its a shame because I know there are a few genuine and honest sellers on there and the flipper site owners should see the potential they have if they just manage it properly.

    The massive trend of wanting to make serious money online and fast is directly responsible for creating people who have no problem scamming others. It is also directly responsible for creating the people who fall victim to these scams. I personally blame a lot of the IM gurus who all like to promise big pay checks for very little work.

    Untill everyone realises that there is no such thing as a get rich quick idea on the internet these problems will just continue and probably get worse in times of financial hardship. Anyone who wants to make money on the internet needs to put the time, effort, and work into it before they should even hope of making their first buck. Online money making IS a full time job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xkuba
    Wow, very interesting info here. Thanks for sharing
    Signature
    Looking for Article Marketing Robot discount? Get $10 USD off NOW!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author malta
    You know what I'd love to see? A couple of examples of sites for sale at Flippa that seasoned Warriors, such as sbucciarel, would recommend buying, as well as an explanation of why and a maximum price suggestion. To help us understand what to look for.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrick Kelly
    Hi,

    I concur with LilBlackDress. I now have the 'luxury of past experience' to see where potential buyers on Flippa could go very wrong. Unfortunately, I have make a couple rather large mistakes on Flippa using 'emotional reasoning' as my means of gathering evidence and making a decision to buy or not to buy. What I mean is being captured by the copy and 'convincing myself' that what I am reading is true and objective. Despite there being good sites on there (which tend to be of course rather expensive), there are also ones that are simply 'too good to be true'! Remember that short saying as this + monitoring of our tendency to buy with emotion - thereby bypassing reason, is a recipe for disaster!

    cheers, Patrick
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kolbywhite28
    I once tried to sell a site there with no hype, only honest and solid facts. Very poor bids.
    Signature
    How I Made $3850 In 7 Days On JVZoo. [Click Here For My Uncensored CASE STUDY + GUIDE]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043611].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KLaAz0r
      Originally Posted by kolbywhite28 View Post

      I once tried to sell a site there with no hype, only honest and solid facts. Very poor bids.
      that is the problem., honest people don't sell there site there
      Signature
      I will create high quality graphics
      for $5
      ->CLICK HERE<-
      OFFER ONLY FOR 2 WEEKS
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    I haven't been there in a while but the last time I sold a site I made sure that the buyer had a good rep. (well established). In the case of the newbie getting ripped off - it is sad. Just like with Ebay, you can avoid a lot of headaches if you just deal with those that have done a lot of business there and have a VERY high rating and great feedback.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5043958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
    Don't let the issues at Flippa deter you from using the site... there are some real gems to be found...

    Dig.
    Signature

    Bare Murkage.........

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5044245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rukshan
    I have seen some WSO which talk about creating service web site like Selling backlinks, FB likes etc and sell the site in flippa. Most of these site sellers get these services from fiverr and sell same service for a big amount in new sites. This is the game!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5044623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gyamasaki
    This is why I don't buy from Flippa, I only sell
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5047713].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barbling
    I think Flippa can be viewed as a specific IM platform these days....and the same Buyer Beware holds there too.

    It's the marketers' job to make something look so yummy only fossilized clams would ignore it.

    It's the consumer's job to ensure all due research has been completed.

    Sad to say, but the responsibility, I feel, lies more so with the buyer. So many people are looking for that silver bullet that doesn't exist; they need to teach themselves how NOT to be scammed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048026].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by barbling View Post

      I think Flippa can be viewed as a specific IM platform these days....and the same Buyer Beware holds there too.

      It's the marketers' job to make something look so yummy only fossilized clams would ignore it.

      It's the consumer's job to ensure all due research has been completed.

      Sad to say, but the responsibility, I feel, lies more so with the buyer. So many people are looking for that silver bullet that doesn't exist; they need to teach themselves how NOT to be scammed.
      True, and that is the reality of any marketplace. Buyers must learn to look beneath the hood and investigate and ignore the hype, both on Flippa, here in the WSO forum and on any marketplace.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DavidWincent
    Buyers are becoming cautious. There are plenty of sales that look spams. Its better not to buy from flippa.
    Signature
    Webmaster Studio -A premier web design and internet marketing company in New York.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YourProfessional
    I've always wondered if there is a reputable alternative to Flippa?
    Signature
    Honest, No-BS Reviews Of WSOs...
    I test products... before I give my final review.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048086].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zamzung
    Guys and girls, I think you are wrong with your comments... maybe some sellers on Flippa sells crappy sites or they over-hyped their descriptions, but that doesn't mean Flippa is bad for business, selling websites, buying them or simply flipping them...

    Internet is full of scammers on every part of it and in every industry... if you are a buyer, you have to be careful, no matter what you are buying online... if you are seller, try to be honest with your buyers... if you are just a visitors, take notes and remember for future to be careful as possible... just don't blame some service or platform because there is scam and fraud over there... that's the case on all similar services and platforms...

    Even more, is Warrior forum crappy place just because most of the WSO are simply crap and sellers are squeezing money from Warriors by selling hype and not the actual product that will help someone? I can't agree with that... I'm seeing a lot of crappy and fraudulent WSOs, especially in the latest time, even from "trusted" Warriors... is that Warrior forum's fault? The Warrior forum is just a platform.... sellers are those who are responsible for their actions and products, and buyers are those who should be careful... it's the same situation there of Flippa ... people want to sell their websites and make as much money as they can, although I can approve lies and over-hype ... but if there are such a websites offered, that still doesn't mean Flippa is bad for business or that you can't buy a good website on Flippa...

    Think a little before you comment anything... if we would go rate services on the Internet following such a comments and thoughts, it would be better for you to turn off your PC and never surf the web again because there are frauds, lies and lot of hype everywhere around you...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Ayres
    Going by the ops reasoning for not using Flippa, maybe we should all leave the warrior forum, as quite a few people get scammed on here as well!

    I currently sell sites on Flippa and they all sell, the last few i have sold for the bin price of $147 for a new site with no traffic, no earnings and no hype. Just a great domain, subject & site.

    And to the people that say why would people sell money making sites unless they were scamming then that is rubbish, i have sold quite a few of my adsense money making sites purely because i had about 50 sites and didn't have the time to maintain them all, but they were still making good adsense income when i sold them.

    I have also bought a site from Flippa in the past that cost me $1k but it make $3k in 2 months.

    So not everyone is a con artist on there and and not every auction is a con, it is like anything else you need to know what you are doing on there to not get ripped off.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim Franklin
    There are a lot of good points here in this thread, one of the problems as I see it is that apparently this website does not have a strict policy in place to protect the buyer, this could become a real problem in the future. Perhaps in the very near future, I have seen, like other posters here, sham websites posted that claim income that would shame the devil, but seriously, there are websites with copyrighted names in the domain names for sale, (there is no excuse for allowing that kind of website in the marketplace at all) Imagine paying $3,500.00 for a income producing website, with a copyrighted term in the domain name and in a month you might get a cease and desist letter, telling you that you are being sued for copyright violations and Squatting on a trade mark,

    serious issues, yet it seems like there are so many buyers waiting to jump on those deals, it is good to see a thread like this to at least warn some buyers that they might be paying a high price for what really is worth nothing because it is stolen from a trade mark owner.

    That is what this is, you can see trade marks and copyrighted domain names being sold, and that is not legal, it is evil to watch people buying this kind of stuff knowing that this website allows this is disturbing and it is something that may be of interest to some agencies in the near future.

    A lot of people think that the Internet is still like the wild wild west where any thing goes that is about to change soon...
    Signature
    Software Development | Applications | OSX | iOS | Android | Cloud Software Engineering |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048625].message }}

Trending Topics