Need ideas for an email opt in form

21 replies
Hi Warriors

I'm currently running men's lifestyle magazine/blog, it's not affiliate site it's mote generic covering sport, health, travel, food , tech, culture etc.

I'm now looking to build my list and have a pop up in place however I don't have any free giveaways or incentives to get sign ups.

I'm basically looking for some inspiration and ideas?

What would you do?

Any input greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Billy
#email #form #ideas #opt
  • Profile picture of the author marimuda
    I am a big fan of how this opt in form is made Internet Business Strategy Tips With Marketing Guru Rich Schefren Simple and attractive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5099073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
    Originally Posted by BillyBacklinks View Post

    I'm currently running men's lifestyle magazine/blog, it's not affiliate site it's mote generic covering sport, health, travel, food , tech, culture etc.

    I'm now looking to build my list and have a pop up in place however I don't have any free giveaways or incentives to get sign ups.

    I'm basically looking for some inspiration and ideas?

    What would you do?
    If I were in your position, I'd go to Magazines.com and
    take a look at the Mens Lifestyle magazine front covers
    for publications like Mens Health etc:

    Men's Health Magazine Subscription Discount | Magazines.com (no affil.)

    Take a look at the 'appeals' that are being used on the front
    covers to get people to BUY the magazine. Especially, look
    for the most exciting bullet points and recurring themes.

    Just click on the thumbnail images for each magazine edition
    and you'll see the bullets more clearly.

    Then take a look in related publications and other categories
    such as Fitness, Healthy Living, Lifestyle & Leisure, Mens
    Fitness, etc.

    That should give you plenty of ideas for inspiration!

    Dedicated to mutual success,

    Shaun
    Signature

    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5099176].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Manie Amari
      Originally Posted by Shaun OReilly View Post

      If I were in your position, I'd go to Magazines.com and
      take a look at the Mens Lifestyle magazine front covers
      for publications like Mens Health etc:

      Men's Health Magazine Subscription Discount | Magazines.com (no affil.)

      Take a look at the 'appeals' that are being used on the front
      covers to get people to BUY the magazine. Especially, look
      for the most exciting bullet points and recurring themes.

      Just click on the thumbnail images for each magazine edition
      and you'll see the bullets more clearly.

      Then take a look in related publications and other categories
      such as Fitness, Healthy Living, Lifestyle & Leisure, Mens
      Fitness, etc.

      That should give you plenty of ideas for inspiration!

      Dedicated to mutual success,

      Shaun

      Shaun has made some really important points here. Moreover look for something within these magazinges that has high value that you can repackage. Think of these magazines as if they were PLR.

      Don't copy! Just use as research. Redo a section that you think holds high value and you have knowledge on or even your speciality and offer this as your free gift to potential subscribers.

      Manie
      Signature

      This will NOT be up for long. Get it now whilst You still can. Btw it's FREE...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5100473].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BillyBacklinks
      Thanks Shaun, great advice. As subscribers of those magazines however I've actually been doing this, got a few ideas already (some i might take to fiverr and get created) but what i was getting at with this post was input around more creative/quirky ideas to incentivize sign ups. Not just any old PLR/Ebook, something a bit more creative.

      I'm getting signs up already but want to push it more.

      P.S Its not a paid magazine so I'm not given away any free physical products, protein shakers, shaving gels etc
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5106656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wfhblueprints
    Have to agree with Shaun! Take a look at the magazines to see what magazines are using to bring in buyers.

    With mens magazines it "six pack abs" tend to be a major one.

    Regards
    Chris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5099403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carter3
    I suggest you can create a Fanpage for your site drive site to like and fans on the page then use an upt in form and get there email, always make your page to be lively all the time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5100417].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BillyBacklinks
      Originally Posted by carter3 View Post

      I suggest you can create a Fanpage for your site drive site to like and fans on the page then use an upt in form and get there email, always make your page to be lively all the time.
      I already have a fan page and twitter page etc, the point is what can i give away free to get more sign ups. something different to the usual PLR or Ebook etc.

      Thanks though
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5106662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author strangest
    Originally Posted by BillyBacklinks View Post

    Hi Warriors

    I'm currently running men's lifestyle magazine/blog, it's not affiliate site it's mote generic covering sport, health, travel, food , tech, culture etc.

    I'm now looking to build my list and have a pop up in place however I don't have any free giveaways or incentives to get sign ups.

    I'm basically looking for some inspiration and ideas?

    What would you do?

    Any input greatly appreciated!

    Cheers

    Billy


    Hi Billy,

    I could have some input for you, plus some great , totally exclusive material that's perfect for men's lifestyle mags/blogs. PM me with your email as my post count is too low to PM you.
    Signature
    a wonderland of curiosities . . . you never knew existed
    > > > > > > > > SEEING IS BELIEVING < < < < < < < <
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5100572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dragonblogger
    I don't giveaway anything in my mailing list form, but I get most of my signups without using an opt in, instead I generate newsletters with MailChimp and promote those newsletters and social media, I get most of my sign ups from people who follow the newsletter link and can directly sign up from the newsletter. This is one of MailChimp's greatest features.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5101437].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BillyBacklinks
      Originally Posted by dragonblogger View Post

      I don't giveaway anything in my mailing list form, but I get most of my signups without using an opt in, instead I generate newsletters with MailChimp and promote those newsletters and social media, I get most of my sign ups from people who follow the newsletter link and can directly sign up from the newsletter. This is one of MailChimp's greatest features.
      I dont quite understand, how do you get sign ups without an optin?

      i understand generating newsletters and thats what i intend on doing but you need people to optin to your list in order to do so, unless your doing ad swaps or leveraging another list somehow...

      or am i completely missing your point?
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5106703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ash R
    I like Shaun's idea - I'm a fan of researching what works for other people in similar areas to you. You don't always have to give away a freebie to get leads, but it does help.

    And of course, have a plan for what to do going forward - you should have an autoresponder series ready, and probably have some idea in mind regarding what you want from this list, ie do you want sales, more loyalty, etc.
    Signature
    Don't sweat the small stuff :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5102991].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BillyBacklinks
      Originally Posted by Ash R View Post

      I like Shaun's idea - I'm a fan of researching what works for other people in similar areas to you. You don't always have to give away a freebie to get leads, but it does help.

      And of course, have a plan for what to do going forward - you should have an autoresponder series ready, and probably have some idea in mind regarding what you want from this list, ie do you want sales, more loyalty, etc.

      Thanks, ive got a plan of what im trying to do longer term (im not moneytizing yet either) i want to build a substantial reader based, social media community and email list all by providing great content, which i do


      I have broad niche too hence the post, it would be easy to just add in get your free 6 pack abs ebook by signing up but i find that a bit naff to be honest. like i say, getting sign ups but want to push it a bit more and looking for something a bit more creative.

      Any other quirks/spins (copywriting even) that people put on their sign up forms to capture leads upfront that they might want to share would be appreciated.

      ..or maybe i'm just over thinking it ...i just like it to challenge the norm i suppose
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5106687].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Ditfort
    Create a 17 page report, there very simple you could get it done within a day. Maybe turn it into a video course it'll set you apart from the crowd.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5106806].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BillyBacklinks
      Originally Posted by Chris Ditfort View Post

      Create a 17 page report, there very simple you could get it done within a day. Maybe turn it into a video course it'll set you apart from the crowd.
      Thanks Chris. Thinking of getting an article/report made into a quirky video so ill see how that plays out.

      Cheers
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5106871].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by Chris Ditfort View Post

      Create a 17 page report, there very simple you could get it done within a day. Maybe turn it into a video course it'll set you apart from the crowd.
      thing is it doesnt have to be a 17 page ebook, or a 60 min video. It just have to be good, and make your prospects hungry for more.

      Get them thinking "I want this guys babies" LOL...well err.... you know what I mean.

      Give them great stuff to chew on, and they will be back again and again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5927565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ash R
    Hey Billy, I like your stance on providing value. Why not visit similar sites, like Men's Health or GQ or whatever bro-blog is in right now See what they're doing. You can offer quirky things like a great guy gift guide for them to print out and leave around the house for their SO to see... or offer membership content for people who register, or ask them to register to post in the community (although with this one, people have to give you permission to email them).
    Signature
    Don't sweat the small stuff :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5109869].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tony_Brayley
      Hey Billy, I hear ya. The Internet - "Age Old Dilemma" How To Get Signups! It's almost an oxymoron. However, I am not helping matters by adding more things to ponder, so I'll get to the point.

      What converts really well, right now....video. So, make a product worthy of giving away (that is, high perceived value, especially for free).

      Then make a video, explaining the benefits of your kick-ass freebie and how, if they don't get it, their life will be worthless and maybe even, over. he he...you get the point though. Plus here's where you sign up to get this free & amazing product...do it now before I take down this gift...blah blah blah....

      I'm sure you get the idea.

      Best of luck Billy,

      Tony Brayley
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5122781].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BillyBacklinks
        Originally Posted by Tony_Brayley View Post

        Hey Billy, I hear ya. The Internet - "Age Old Dilemma" How To Get Signups! It's almost an oxymoron. However, I am not helping matters by adding more things to ponder, so I'll get to the point.

        What converts really well, right now....video. So, make a product worthy of giving away (that is, high perceived value, especially for free).

        Then make a video, explaining the benefits of your kick-ass freebie and how, if they don't get it, their life will be worthless and maybe even, over. he he...you get the point though. Plus here's where you sign up to get this free & amazing product...do it now before I take down this gift...blah blah blah....

        I'm sure you get the idea.

        Best of luck Billy,

        Tony Brayley
        Thanks Tony, my minds in overdrive now, ever since i posted this ive had a ton of ideas come to mind. I've had a personzlised email added on sign up but got some cool things to split test on the homepage/sign up form too.

        Cheers

        Billy
        Signature


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5130705].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BillyBacklinks
      Originally Posted by Ash R View Post

      Hey Billy, I like your stance on providing value. Why not visit similar sites, like Men's Health or GQ or whatever bro-blog is in right now See what they're doing. You can offer quirky things like a great guy gift guide for them to print out and leave around the house for their SO to see... or offer membership content for people who register, or ask them to register to post in the community (although with this one, people have to give you permission to email them).

      Thanks Ash, the guide/print out for the SO is a great idea and is actually a supplement this month with one of the major mags

      cheers
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5130695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amanda321
    You have taken very good work in your hand to be completed.
    I am with you having lot of ideas in my mind regarding your topic
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5927406].message }}

Trending Topics