Starting a Membership Site, But Here Is Where I'm Stuck...

by Dayne Dylan Banned
10 replies
Hey Warriors, I'm thinking about starting my first membership site. It will actually be a membership that will only last 10-12 months where each month I will drip them various content like audio tracks and PDF ebooks.

Here is the thing, all of this info is original and some of the ebooks are nearly 100 pages of pure content.

I want to create a monthly membership where each month I give them certain material, but my biggest fear is them sharing the PDF files.

I figure there are two ways around this, just make put all the content as protected HTML pages within the membership or maybe just use some sort of PDF reader within the membership where they can read and print, but not save, copy or download.

Am I missing any other options? Also, any services you can recommend for that type of PDF protection? I know LockLizard does this, but it is several thousand bucks.

Thoughts or ideas?
#membership #site #starting #stuck
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Rambo
    Thieves are thieves and there's is little you can do about it if they really want to find a way to pass your content around. There are ways around pretty much everything.

    Even if you lock your pdf there's nothing to stop someone from using a scanner or reading the content into a speech recognition software or having the lock on it hacked.

    Fortunately you won't have to worry about this with most people and those are the ones you should concentrate on.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5100919].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Gary Rambo View Post

      Thieves are thieves and there's is little you can do about it if they really want to find a way to pass your content around. There are ways around pretty much everything.

      Even if you lock your pdf there's nothing to stop someone from using a scanner or reading the content into a speech recognition software or having the lock on it hacked.

      Fortunately you won't have to worry about this with most people and those are the ones you should concentrate on.
      Yeah, I agree with you Gary. I was just trying to think of some things that may make it a bit more difficult for them, that is all. But you are right, no need to be paranoid about it I suppose and just focus on the right people. The good news is, this is not in the "make money" or IM niche.
      Signature
      Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5100954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rooze
    I don't think it's paranoid to protect your property as best you can. If you go to extremes then that might be a bit paranoid

    Here's a post that will give you a simple layer of protection, but obviously it won't be infallible by any means. Prevent e-book sharing? - Yahoo! Answers

    If your marketing pitch is geared to a PDF eBook then that's what you're stuck with I suppose. If there's some flexibility, then you could use membership software to restrict access to content. There's software that will also allow you to schedule the release based on the age of the membership.
    You could easily disable right-click and print options on the private section. I'm sure there's ways to prevent 'view source' too.
    I don't think it would be difficult to at least shut-out the casual thief.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5101069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
    Banned
    I found WatchDox as well, very good and cheaper. That might be a possibility, but still, it is at least a few hundred a month to use.
    Signature
    Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5101225].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
      Hi Dayne - I have operated (and helped build) many membership sites, in the end, the critical factor that makes a membership site popular and "stick" (meaning your members continue to renew) are:

      1. New content that consistently fuflills their dream/desire
      2. Community - active discussion, weekly/bi-weekly coaching or faq calls, active social networking within the membership site, etc...
      3. Leverage with other product releaes - ex. my members get at least 25% off of other products/services which keeps some of them as members for sure.

      Notice that none of this has to do with any one piece of content - so I would not worry about the odd ebook being shared...your membership site will succeed based on collection of content, promise of new content, trust/like in you and the community feel.

      Finally - I've always advised ebook writers to provide additional value-add to help add value to their ebook content. For example ,you release an ebook, and at the same time you release an audio or video covering the main chapters or topics. That way, even if someone gives away your ebook, they don't get the full experience of what goes on in the membership site.

      Jeff
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5101263].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
        Banned
        Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post

        Hi Dayne - I have operated (and helped build) many membership sites, in the end, the critical factor that makes a membership site popular and "stick" (meaning your members continue to renew) are:

        1. New content that consistently fuflills their dream/desire
        2. Community - active discussion, weekly/bi-weekly coaching or faq calls, active social networking within the membership site, etc...
        3. Leverage with other product releaes - ex. my members get at least 25% off of other products/services which keeps some of them as members for sure.

        Notice that none of this has to do with any one piece of content - so I would not worry about the odd ebook being shared...your membership site will succeed based on collection of content, promise of new content, trust/like in you and the community feel.

        Finally - I've always advised ebook writers to provide additional value-add to help add value to their ebook content. For example ,you release an ebook, and at the same time you release an audio or video covering the main chapters or topics. That way, even if someone gives away your ebook, they don't get the full experience of what goes on in the membership site.

        Jeff
        Great info Jeff and thanks.

        My membership is going to be setup automatically for the most part. It will only be around 10 months long. I will load up the content to go out each week to them, and it will go for 10 months. This will be quality ebooks and audio, plus reports.

        Now if I start to get plenty of members, I may create a message board for them or forum where they can discuss the subjects...but I won't do that initially as it would just be a dead zone.
        Signature
        Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5101289].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author julesw
          good point re. the dead zone

          unless you have a big list and can fill the site quick any kind of forum that looks empty is a big turn off.

          recently i've noticed people using close facebook groups (invite only)
          to get things moving because people are on facebook already so interact much quicker, and get notified when there name is mentioned etc, you could add some of your friends in too to make it fill out, downside fb could close it.
          Signature
          WIN my Lanparte Smartphone or GoPro Gimbal! Get Ready Get Steady! Watch my Video Here:
          VideoHero.com/win
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5101676].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Thomas Michal
            Brad Gosse is a member here and has something you might be interested in:

            http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...tent-ease.html
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5101903].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Canuckystan
              I'm about to launch my membership site and I'm using ebooks generated using page-flip.com They look great and you can prevent downloading, saving and printing. Turn the lack of ability to download into a positive, offering members access to "cloud" ebooks 24/7.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5101976].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
                Banned
                Originally Posted by Canuckystan View Post

                I'm about to launch my membership site and I'm using ebooks generated using page-flip.com They look great and you can prevent downloading, saving and printing. Turn the lack of ability to download into a positive, offering members access to "cloud" ebooks 24/7.
                Wow, this looks great!

                EDIT: This may be a problem though if you have a lot of users. It says this on their site...

                What does the SEAT mean?
                Each product version is designed for a limited number of users, who can install and use FlippingBook Publisher 2.0 on their computers. Basic license works just for a single user only. Professional version can be used by two users simultaneously. Each user is able to create unlimited publications for unlimited websites with his license.
                Signature
                Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5102021].message }}

Trending Topics