Don't get "how to make money" niche confused with others...

31 replies
I have the feeling that many newbies at this forum and around the net, believe that promoting "how to make money" materials is the be all to end all when it comes to doing business on the net.

There are plenty other groups of people to market to. ( serve )

Big Tip:

If you've been trying to promote "how to make money stuff" and haven't done that well, you can always switch to other markets.

Lots of people started out promoting "how to make money" stuff but then switched and started making good money in other niches.

All decent markets have competition but the "how to make money" market is the only one I can think of where your potential prospects are trying to sell something also.

Message:

Do not judge your online business career by what happens to you if you're promoting "how to make money" stuff and be prepared to move on to explore other niches.

And...

Make sure you decide on an net business income model and move forward from there.

Hope This Helps!!

TL
#confused #how to make money #niche #niches #online business #online business models #online markets
  • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
    Fantastic advice TL

    I was fortunate enough to enjoy my other niches before I looked into the "make money online" niche, I now feel it is easier for me to look at this as a niche just like any other with the same barriers/boundaries, obstacles and benefits/possibilities..

    The plethora of niches outside of the MMO niche is huge and this one pales in comparison, so kudos to you for sharing this fact

    Peace

    Jay
    Signature

    Bare Murkage.........

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[454110].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

      Fantastic advice TL

      I was fortunate enough to enjoy my other niches before I looked into the "make money online" niche, I now feel it is easier for me to look at this as a niche just like any other with the same barriers/boundaries, obstacles and benefits/possibilities..

      The plethora of niches outside of the MMO niche is huge and this one pales in comparison, so kudos to you for sharing this fact

      Peace

      Jay
      Your path is the best way to a decent and steady income from an online based business.

      Operate in niches that have nothing to do with "how to make money online" and then...

      After you know how to make money - then you can share their money making recipe with others.

      The "how to make money online" niche is no place for newbies and I know it's 10X easier to make money in other niches.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[454276].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

      Fantastic advice TL

      I was fortunate enough to enjoy my other niches before I looked into the "make money online" niche, I now feel it is easier for me to look at this as a niche just like any other with the same barriers/boundaries, obstacles and benefits/possibilities..

      The plethora of niches outside of the MMO niche is huge and this one pales in comparison, so kudos to you for sharing this fact

      Peace

      Jay
      Yes, too many people are judging their online business career by what has happened to them in one of the most competitive online markets - the IM niche.

      I'm not saying other markets don't have competition but what other market is there that 99% of your prospects are also trying to sell to you?

      But...

      Lots of people have moved on to others lucrative markets and done quite well.

      That's when I started to find my success because in my experience it's 10X easier for me to sell to people who are not trying to sell to me.

      Less than 3% of my online income comes from the IM market so I do not count on it.

      People can come back and sell their money making system to the IM market after they've developed a system that works - if they like.


      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[472606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winebuddy
    1) Pick an obscure niche that has a lot of results on the Search Engines

    2) Give something of value away to build a list for the micro-niche

    3) Give your list subscribers more value and then...

    4) Hit them with a sales letter occasionally

    This works A LOT BETTER than the "how to make money" niche.

    For example: how to build remote control cars, how to build your own telescope, how to make a quilt, how to build sandcastles, how to "anything" that doesn't have 100 million search results

    I have successfully monitized 3 of these mini-niches and am looking for a 4th Any ideas?
    Signature
    birminghamshootingrange.comfor sale |"Knowledge is NOT power... ACTION on Knowledge is power"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[454114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
      Originally Posted by winebuddy View Post

      1) Pick an obscure niche that has a lot of results on the Search Engines

      2) Give something of value away to build a list for the micro-niche

      3) Give your list subscribers more value and then...

      4) Hit them with a sales letter occasionally

      This works A LOT BETTER than the "how to make money" niche.

      For example: how to build remote control cars, how to build your own telescope, how to make a quilt, how to build sandcastles, how to "anything" that doesn't have 100 million search results

      I have successfully monitized 3 of these mini-niches and am looking for a 4th Any ideas?
      Gardening...

      The micro niches inside of this broad niche are magnificent, I just recently put it on the back burner to focus on other stuff but I am definitely going back there..

      Peace

      Jay
      Signature

      Bare Murkage.........

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[454118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winebuddy
    how to grow your own veggies in a 6x6 area?

    How to grow your own lettuce in a box in your house?

    How to set up your own hydroponic farm in your basement?

    I think you have a winner!
    Signature
    birminghamshootingrange.comfor sale |"Knowledge is NOT power... ACTION on Knowledge is power"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[454138].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Scott
      Originally Posted by winebuddy View Post


      How to set up your own hydroponic farm in your basement?
      Methinks that it's not just wine that you've been into lately...

      Market better in an "altered state of consciousness"?



      -Dan
      Signature

      Always looking for badass direct-response copywriters. PM me if we don't know each other and you're looking for work.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[455424].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Juris
    Great advice man
    Thanks
    Signature

    The Only Way We Can Truly Heal The World Is To Heal Ourselves First

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[454789].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by Juris View Post

      Great advice man
      Thanks
      I just see so many people that I know are confused about this subject, I just had to mention it.

      Too many people are judging their online business career by what is happening to them in a very competitive niche that also has a characteristic that no other niche has which is...

      ..almost everyone of your potential prospects is also selling something.


      Hope This Helps!!

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[476102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danc1122
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[455289].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by Danc1122 View Post

      I've stayed far far away from the "make money online" niche.

      Mostly because it's just so easy to sell to regular people with a problem, looking for a solution...compared to selling to other marketers.

      Newbies should not even think about promoting make money online stuff.

      It's suicide. I mean how can anyone actually expect to make sales promoting something that they themselves can not do?

      Just my opinion...
      Dan


      How'd you get so lucky?

      Great attitude for any newbie or non-earner to consider!

      It's simply 10x easier in other niches!

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[456383].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mistermint
      Originally Posted by Danc1122 View Post

      I've stayed far far away from the "make money online" niche.

      Mostly because it's just so easy to sell to regular people with a problem, looking for a solution...compared to selling to other marketers.

      Newbies should not even thinking about promoting make money online stuff.

      It's suicide. I mean how can anyone actually expect to make sales promoting something that they themselves can not do?

      Just my opinion...
      Dan
      IMO some promoters promote what makes the most money and not what actually does work.

      There are a couple of how to make money systems which again IMO really do work well. I am promoting one right now but, I'm only doing it because, I bought in to the system and tried it myself first. The tutorials are great even for experienced folk (not that I am so experienced) but, for a newbie it is a wonderful shortcut to several business models.
      Signature
      www.make-cash-flow-forecast.com

      Make cash flow forecasts in openoffice.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[477173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mistermint
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[472646].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mistermint
      I'm not saying other markets don't have competition but what other market is there that 99% of your prospects are also trying to sell to you?

      Bit like the pet food market: The buyer doesn't consume it and the consumer doesn't buy it
      Signature
      www.make-cash-flow-forecast.com

      Make cash flow forecasts in openoffice.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[472653].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
        I think the issue is that when a newbie buys a make money online product and often times there is too much hype put in by the author about selling what they just bought and not enough emphasis that their techniques can be used with many niches.

        Another issue is that not all affiliate programs are that transparent. Sometimes you need to dig a bit to find the source.

        Never be afraid to email a company if you don't see an "affiliates" link and see if they have a program in place. And even if they don't they may entertain the idea of starting one.
        Signature

        "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[472753].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
          Originally Posted by avenuegirl View Post

          I think the issue is that when a newbie buys a make money online product and often times there is too much hype put in by the author about selling what they just bought and not enough emphasis that their techniques can be used with many niches.

          Another issue is that not all affiliate programs are that transparent. Sometimes you need to dig a bit to find the source.

          Never be afraid to email a company if you don't see an "affiliates" link and see if they have a program in place. And even if they don't they may entertain the idea of starting one.
          You're right.

          Many how to make money courses also have an affiliate program to go along with it and the owner of the course wants affiliates/customers to promote the course.

          Many times the course is all about how to sell in the biz op market and nothing else.

          But there are too many people that actually believe selling how to make money materials in the be all to end all when it comes to conducting online business.

          My point is that...

          ... everyone should know the difference and for folks to not judge their online business career by what happens to them if they're promoting how to make money materials.

          Many people started that way, didn't make any money and then had sense enough and the courage to move on to other niches and became successful.

          I believe it's 10x easier for newbies to become successful if they operate in other lucrative niches.

          TL
          Signature

          "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[473337].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
        Originally Posted by mistermint View Post

        I'm not saying other markets don't have competition but what other market is there that 99% of your prospects are also trying to sell to you?

        Bit like the pet food market: The buyer doesn't consume it and the consumer doesn't buy it
        I'm not sure if your analogy applies but you do underscore my point about the unusual conditions in the how to make money market that in my opinion make it harder for a newbie to earn a decent and steady income.

        Sure the market is large but it's not as open as it appears.

        TL
        Signature

        "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[508598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author madison_avenue
    In the IM arena a lot of the digital products have been optimized for distribution on the internet. They are also conducive to being sold as courses allowing you charge more.

    Moreover if you have been doing it for a while you do become an "expert"( an expert as defined as knowing more than the the person you are talking to). IM products are also high priced there are a lot of them already optimized for plugging into your distribution network.

    With millions coming online daily I still think it is an attractive niche. Even if you do promote in other niches you can use the skills you have picked up to come back later and promote in the IM niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[477208].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by madison_avenue View Post

      In the IM arena a lot of the digital products have been optimized for distribution on the internet. They are also conducive to being sold as courses allowing you charge more.

      Moreover if you have been doing it for a while you do become an "expert"( an expert as defined as knowing more than the the person you are talking to). IM products are also high priced there are a lot of them already optimized for plugging into your distribution network.

      With millions coming online daily I still think it is an attractive niche. Even if you do promote in other niches you can use the skills you have picked up to come back later and promote in the IM niche.

      It's true, many more people will be coming online in search of extra income but newbies and people that have never made any decent and steady money online before have a...

      ... much, much better chance at success if they deal with niches that have nothing to do with making money online.

      You're right - after they develop a money making system of their own, they can come back for a position in the how to make money online niche.

      But remember, the IM niche has one characteristic that no other niche has...

      your prospects will also be selling something and that is sure to dampen their enthusiasm for your offer - wiping away 90% of the market.

      I just trying to make sure people know the difference.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[481779].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ryan700
        Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

        But remember, the IM niche has one characteristic that no other niche has...

        your prospects will also be selling something and that is sure to dampen their enthusiasm for your offer - wiping away 90% of the market.

        TL
        Kind of like MLM. People are always comparing MLM's and trying to sell the other guy on how they made the wrong choice, which is one reason why people quit.

        Wow. I learned a lot in this thread. I'll be looking at other niches besides the MMO niche. Kind of why my article about unplugging toilets is more popular than my other one.

        Ryan
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[537675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mryakub
    Blogging is easy, blogging is fun. And what's more...it can help your business in a lot of ways. A blog is a frequent, chronological publication of personal thoughts and web links in the cyberspace. You could call it an e-diary where you can register your thoughts, opinion and comments on anything and everything under the sun that interests you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[482128].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by mryakub View Post

      Blogging is easy, blogging is fun. And what's more...it can help your business in a lot of ways. A blog is a frequent, chronological publication of personal thoughts and web links in the cyberspace. You could call it an e-diary where you can register your thoughts, opinion and comments on anything and everything under the sun that interests you.

      And a blog is a online page platform and it has nothing to do with people understanding the difference between the IM niche and all the others.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[484243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Originally Posted by honestbizpro View Post

    Very good points above. Save the "making money online" product until after you have made a nice killing in another niche or service. After you are doing quite well from other niches...everyone, including your relatives and neighbors will be begging you to create a "how you did it" step by step guide.

    Then you will come off as very sincere and helpful and not just going for the money grab.


    IMHO it's simply 10x easier for the average newbie to create an highly profitable online business if they stay away for the "how to make money" niche until they develop a system that works for them and then they can share it with the world.


    TL
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[504971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    The thing that makes the IM or "money-making" niche different from other competitive niches is its fickle nature with trends and technology.

    There are a lot of very good informative books on all of the marketing subjects that get viewed as obsolete or irrelevant as soon as the big "launch" of another book on the subject comes out.

    The same behavior that causes people to jump around from one idea or next big thing goes a bit further here than in other big markets.

    If I have a weight loss book on the market and a big weight loss guru is seen on Oprah talking about his new book there is obviously going to be a big rush on his product but unless he specifically states that my product is junk I really don't lose sales.

    I have found that people in other markets will still continue to jump around from one product to another within a niche but this perception that the new product that enters the market has made all others obsolete is pretty strong in the IM circles.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[508684].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by Matthew Maiden View Post

      The thing that makes the IM or "money-making" niche different from other competitive niches is its fickle nature with trends and technology.

      There are a lot of very good informative books on all of the marketing subjects that get viewed as obsolete or irrelevant as soon as the big "launch" of another book on the subject comes out.

      The same behavior that causes people to jump around from one idea or next big thing goes a bit further here than in other big markets.

      If I have a weight loss book on the market and a big weight loss guru is seen on Oprah talking about his new book there is obviously going to be a big rush on his product but unless he specifically states that my product is junk I really don't lose sales.

      I have found that people in other markets will still continue to jump around from one product to another within a niche but this perception that the new product that enters the market has made all others obsolete is pretty strong in the IM circles.


      That's another reason the IM niche is quite different from what I call normal niches where the prospects don't have any agenda of their own and IMHO make much better prospects.


      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[513518].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mistermint
        Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

        That's another reason the IM niche is quite different from what I call normal niches where the prospects don't have any agenda of their own and IMHO make much better prospects.


        TL
        Thats a fair assumption though, most people are motivated by making a lot of money, a lot become junkies for all the new mouse traps. A bit like dating, there is always a nucleus of people who simply either set their sites to high, or, keep loooking for new things and never find what they are looking for.

        You need an edge to market anything, IM or normal (sounds like kinky sex or straight ).

        The buyers are getting much wiser plus, money is a bit tight these days.
        Signature
        www.make-cash-flow-forecast.com

        Make cash flow forecasts in openoffice.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[514096].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mistermint
    Good points ^

    I always buy in to a "make money on line" product before trying to market it. When you look at them, almost all are repackaging the same old story. The same line " How I made a tonne of money" and buy my exclusive blueprint.

    When you open the box they are almost identical, never an actual ready to use blueprint like, this is the the clickkbank product I make $3K a month on, this is how I did it etc etc.

    Almost always, sign up for aweber or get response, get on all the forums with links in your sig, make a landing page, how to link up clickbank or CB. Hang around yahoo answers...yawnnnnnnnn viral ebook marketing, and by the way here is how to sell my money making system and make the same as me..yawnnn.

    Often a jig-saw with half a dozen pieces missing.
    Signature
    www.make-cash-flow-forecast.com

    Make cash flow forecasts in openoffice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[509660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    I'm sure if you took a poll of successful online marketers, the vast majority would echo my sediments.

    Too many people do not realize the difference and the impact it has on their online business careers.

    The real traddgy is the millions of people who got into online business, tried to sell how to make money stuff, failed and thought that was all there is to online business.

    No understanding that there are at least 50,000 other lucrative groups of people to sell to.

    What a shame.

    Remember, if things don't go all that will for you, you can always switch niches.

    TL
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[526012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author motiv8
      I plan on using a niche that interest me, although I must admit the "how to make money" niche is very tempting. :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[535696].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
        Originally Posted by motiv8 View Post

        I plan on using a niche that interest me, although I must admit the "how to make money" niche is very tempting. :rolleyes:
        Sure it's tempting...

        - It's very large but not as large as you may think since most of the people in the niche don't want to hear your offer but want you to hear their offer.

        - Perhaps 10-15% of the market is seriously looking for another solution since what they're doing isn't working and they realize that change is necessary if they want success.

        - Most of the rest of them are not making good money if any but they're not in the mood to change and try something new.

        - Lots of products to sell as an affiliate.

        - Lots of ways to market.

        - It's a market where you just about must have you're own product to make big money - at least initially.

        I have an how to conduct online business product but don't count on it for my income and 99% of my income comes from operations other niches.

        I'm glad you're not confused and have chosen the path of least resistance.

        Hope This Helps!!

        TL
        Signature

        "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[536596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bayo
    You can make money in ANY niche that needs problems solved and has a proven demand.

    Even though I do teach how to make money I prefer to teach people how to use those techniques outside of the make money niche. Life is just less stressful in those areas and its relatively easier for a newbie to succeed much quicker.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[537207].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by Bayo View Post

      You can make money in ANY niche that needs problems solved and has a proven demand.

      Even though I do teach how to make money I prefer to teach people how to use those techniques outside of the make money niche. Life is just less stressful in those areas and its relatively easier for a newbie to succeed much quicker.
      Agreed, you can make money in any niche that need problems solved and has a proven demand.

      I see we're on the same pages in regards to which niche is harder to make an impact in.

      One thing is newbies that know what they're doing can make a very big splash in other niches much easier and without their own product.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[540091].message }}

Trending Topics