Why do you use or dont use your real name on warrior ?

106 replies
I have read here in some threads some discussion on whether people should use their real names. My name is Peter but my wife calls me a grumpyb so I guess both names will get an answer.

But seriously for a moment what are the pros and cons of using your real name here and disclosing your correct loacation ?
#real #warrior
  • Profile picture of the author activetrader
    I think it depends on personal preferences and on what you are trying to achieve. I am from Europe and thus my name is hard to say for most people here in the US (where I live). I have had a nick name for a very long time because of that. I also have had multiple TV appearances on national channels like CNN and such and I don;t want my real name associated with my pen name.
    Signature

    Me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465507].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Srikanth D
      I partly agree with activetrader. I am from India and people won't feel comfortable calling my name. These are not common names.
      So I prefer using my goal as my name here. I want to win as a IM. Warrior helps me a lot. so iam heretowin..
      Signature
      >> Getting back into IM game <<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465519].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jared Alberghini
        Originally Posted by heretowin View Post

        I partly agree with activetrader. I am from India and people won't feel comfortable calling my name. These are not common names.
        So I prefer using my goal as my name here. I want to win as a IM. Warrior helps me a lot. so iam heretowin..
        Here at the WF I would much prefer talking to you using your own name, even if it's 'not common', compared to a made-up username like 'heretowin'. That's just me...
        Signature

        P.S.

        Join The Future: Telekinetic Marketing

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jared Alberghini
    Well grumpy peter, the advantage of not using your real name on the Warrior Forum is that you never have to live up to, or take responsibility for anything you say. Good or bad.

    That's why I use my real name. It keeps me honest.

    - Jared

    P.S. I like to know the real names of the people who I am doing business with. It keeps them honest as well.

    EDIT:

    However, I do acknowledge the importance of maintaining privacy and using a 'pen name' for certain things... you don't always want your competition to know exactly what you are doing
    Signature

    P.S.

    Join The Future: Telekinetic Marketing

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465514].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Ayres
      Originally Posted by Jared Alberghini View Post

      Well grumpy peter, the advantage of not using your real name on the Warrior Forum is that you never have to live up to, or take responsibility for anything you say. Good or bad.

      That's why I use my real name. It keeps me honest.

      - Jared

      P.S. I like to know the real names of the people who I am doing business with. It keeps them honest as well.

      EDIT:

      However, I do acknowledge the importance of maintaining privacy and using a 'pen name' for certain things... you don't always want your competition to know exactly what you are doing
      That is complete BS,
      I don't use my name on here but it doesn't mean that i am intending on doing anything dishonest or not going to own up to things i say and do.
      My name is in my profile if people want to see it so what difference does it make what i use in a forum.
      It should be up to each individual what their preference is and not just follow the heard because they are told to
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kazakhan
    I'm quite attached to my username so that's why i use it. Having been "pulled up" on this issue myself here i find it amusing that some people are just too lazy to check a users profile or see what is right in front of them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author deu12000
    I don't use my real name on forums because I've always gone by one username or another. If someone really wants to know who I am, they can just google my username and they can find out who I am, where I live and my phone number. It's not even about being anonymous (my information can easily be found), but about privacy.

    For those that say they only buy from people that has a name attached, I'm going to have to call bullshit. If you outsource, buy products from just about anywhere a lot of the time you're just working with a screen name and only find out the name after privately chatting or making payment (if at all).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465688].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diana Lane
    My real name is actually fluffysquirrel2007.

    Seriously though, if somebody is using what looks like a real name and you're giving that any weight in a decision to do business with them, don't automatically assume that it's their real name.
    Signature

    Plot short fiction, long fiction, even outline non-fiction * Edit the question prompts to suit your genre * Easily export text and image files for use with your word processor or Scrivener.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465717].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winebuddy
    I use the same "username" on multiple forums, video accounts, social sites, etc.

    I have several businesses and it helps me keep them separate.
    Signature
    birminghamshootingrange.comfor sale |"Knowledge is NOT power... ACTION on Knowledge is power"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465748].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dwshoup
      Originally Posted by winebuddy View Post

      I use the same "username" on multiple forums, video accounts, social sites, etc.

      I have several businesses and it helps me keep them separate.
      That is a good point. I didn't think of that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[495546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BizBooks
    Think about this.. Allen Says the owner of this forum, is anonymous.

    so, do you do business with "pennames'?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465759].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    When I first joined I still had a full time job and didn't want them to know I was doing IM on the side, because I was looking to figure out how to make IM my full time job (which I have).

    So - although my full name is Dana Willhoit - I used Dana W and no picture of me. Back then there weren't photo avatars anyway, this was about 14 months ago, but I didn't put a pic on my profile until I quit my job.

    If you plan to sell your own products, I think it really helps to have your name and picture on here, for added credibility.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465769].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jim Hallmark
      Originally Posted by Dana_W View Post

      If you plan to sell your own products, I think it really helps to have your name and picture on here, for added credibility.
      I agree Dana. Although I think everyone should choose for themselves what they are most comfortable with, I decided that for me it was best to use my real name. I want everyone to know upfront who I am to avoid any misperceptions.
      Signature
      "Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!" Mike Dooley
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466872].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        I think that if you're in the Internet Marketing or Personal Development business and have a public image then it's a good idea to use your real name. That said even people like Joel Comm have a warrior screenname. I don't use my full name because I don't want my wife to see me flirting with Dana_W. That and I'm on the run from the FBI.
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466925].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Golelen
        I share some of the concerns mentioned above. I used a pen name for two reason.

        1. I deal w/ identity theft in RL. I minimize everything personal because I have seen so many ways in which personal information, even just a name, can be abused or used to get additional information.

        2. I work in a specialized field that is very small. I don't want any potential employers Googling me.
        Signature
        Stop letting panic attacks beat you down. Visit http://www.panicselfhelp.com and take charge of your life. Fight back by signing up for our free newsletter.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466934].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author marcanthony
          I use my real name and picture--because I want to be held fully accountable for everything I type.

          I want people to know who agrees or disagrees with them...

          If I'm being helpful or making an outrageous claim--I want everyone to know exactly who's behind the type.

          I definitely don't do it for business purposes--because I'm not here for that!

          The discussion is much more entertaining to me--than trying to use the forum to generate sales.

          Marc
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466986].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
            Good for you Mark. I can't be bothered being sensible. Even if I had my real name I'd probably still be 100% the opposite of sensible and unaccountable. I think MaskedMarketer's screen name is awesome. Seems like an awesome guy too. Yay. It's almost beer time.
            Signature
            "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467007].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author marcanthony
              Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post

              Good for you Mark. I can't be bothered being sensible. Even if I had my real name I'd probably still be 100% the opposite of sensible and unaccountable. I think MaskedMarketer's screen name is awesome. Seems like an awesome guy too. Yay. It's almost beer time.
              I think that ZigZag and MaskedMarketer are awesome nicknames as well...

              I don't have a problem with anonymity at all.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467030].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                Originally Posted by marcanthony View Post

                I think that ZigZag and MaskedMarketer are awesome nicknames as well...

                I don't have a problem with anonymity at all.
                We've got to include Avi_31337 as well.

                I think that if a person's ethical, truthworthy, and moral, they're ethical, trustworthy, and moral. Doesn't really matter what name they use.
                Signature
                "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467083].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author ShayB
                  When I first came here, I used the username I use in other forums - Shay60654.

                  But I found that:
                  1. That was hard for people to remember.
                  2. Someone commented that it sounded like a prisoner's number. LOL
                  I use a pen name for a couple of niches and my real name for others.

                  Here, I like to be myself. :rolleyes:
                  Signature
                  "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467119].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hkay
      Originally Posted by Dana_W View Post

      When I first joined I still had a full time job and didn't want them to know I was doing IM on the side, because I was looking to figure out how to make IM my full time job (which I have).
      I am using a pen name for the same reason - never to give a hint to anyone on my IM activities.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[495495].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KathyK
    I'm with Dana, those of us who have "real" jobs are a bit more restricted.

    Diana Lane had a good point too - I could tell you my real name is Jane Smith - how would you know otherwise?
    Signature

    Cheers,
    Kathy

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winebuddy
    Kathy - love that avitar!
    Signature
    birminghamshootingrange.comfor sale |"Knowledge is NOT power... ACTION on Knowledge is power"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465835].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      For a long time I used my offline nickname as my forum name (bkay).

      I now use my middle and last name online but have a few pen names I use for various niches.

      To me, someone trying sell products here (as in WSO or Classified sections) is wise to have their name listed at least in their profile. Some forum names clearly fit the niches the member works in.

      Nothing wrong with using a forum name, a first name or nickname. The ones I dislike are the cutesy, ridiculous or silly names as they make me want to ask "what are you - 12?". Actually, that may be the case....

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      I'm going to work on being less condescending
      (Condescending means to talk down to people)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lloyd Buchinski
    I do use a pen name in a couple of forums, but at least it is a
    little more creative and imaginative than jfx274. (apologies if
    someone is actually using that one). I have had a few times
    when I wondered about a post someone with a name like that
    made, went to the profile and found no site or identifiable
    information at all.

    And there was one thread in particular on the old wf where
    someone nasty had done exactly that. He did wind up deleted.
    I do have a slight initial bias to a regular name but if it is a
    good post I don't care about that part at all. In fact once I am
    on a thread I often don't even look at the name at all, or until
    after I've read the post.
    Signature

    Do something spectacular; be fulfilled. Then you can be your own hero. Prem Rawat

    The KimW WSO

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roger Mayne
    I use both my real name, and my business name. My business name is more "brandable", but I also sign most of my sales pages with my real name.

    However, I do have a pen name too, that I am using for a particular niche.
    Signature

    "If you don't quit, you can't fail"
    Success will follow.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrandonIM
    Hey there,

    I realize I'm the new guy but here's my opinion anyway - so take that!

    I used my real first name, but not my last name or picture. I utilize my first name to help people feel comfortable with me, as I'm new and I want to build up a good reputation here.

    However, I never use my last name because...well, this is the internet. You've seen the movies, right?

    There's my 1.5 cents...

    Brandon

    By the way, when do I graduate to being able to give people my 2c?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465916].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ladyjane
      I, too, use a nickname here (the same nickname I use on several other forums), simply because you never know who you're dealing with online, and I'd prefer my full real name not be broadcast to people I don't know, who may use it for nefarious purposes.

      However, the picture I use is a real, genuine picture of me. Plus, if anyone asks me what my name is, I'll be more than happy to give it to them (and, as many of you have already found out, it's Stephanie). And, if anyone is interested in doing business with me and wants to know my full name beforehand, it doesn't take much searching to find it. Just follow the links (the link in my signature takes you to one of my websites, where there are links to samples of my work online, including Associated Content and EzineArticles pieces I've written, which have my first and last name in the bylines).

      Basically, I'm being guarded and cautious, but not completely anonymous. I don't openly broadcast my full, real name to the world, but I don't make it impossible to find it, either.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    I use my real name here but false names in other forums. The main reason is that I do not buy or sell here, and that my business on the whole is vastly different from other WF warriors. Therefore, I do not need to take as much care to cover my tracks.
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jimrpips
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466434].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Suthan M
      Originally Posted by jimrpips View Post

      I never give out my real name in any public area of cyberspace. I've been dealing with people around the globe electronically since the 80's (go, ARPANET!) and I trust absolutely no one with my personal information in a public forum.

      For all you know, I am a strapping, virile young hipster-on-the-go. I could also be a 65-year old housewife from Hackensack with 3 grandkids and lumbago. Whatever makes you comfortable.
      I know you.. You're Bender.
      Signature

      Whats the latest movie you watched? Anything good?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suthan M
    well, i use my username here as thatsb the standard username i use in forums and the likes. Keeps me anonymous on where i surf...

    But of course, many know who i am, so it dont really matter..
    Signature

    Whats the latest movie you watched? Anything good?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466449].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Platinum Matt
    I use a pen name because when I want to come out... I'm gonna come out big ooer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Dulisse
    I think not putting your real name simply means your hiding something....lol.

    From: Jack, I mean Bob, sometimes Bill. Just don't call me "Leroy"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Million
    Originally Posted by grumpyb View Post

    I have read here in some threads some discussion on whether people should use their real names. My name is Peter but my wife calls me a grumpyb so I guess both names will get an answer.

    But seriously for a moment what are the pros and cons of using your real name here and disclosing your correct loacation ?
    I choose to use my real name to show that I have nothing to hide, and for branding purposes. Regardless, many people think "Million" is a pen name

    This is a personal preference and I in no way claim that it's "better" or "more effective" than if I were to use a random username. Just thought I'd share why I took the "real name" route
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466490].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmhinman
    Grumpy, I think it brings a more personable impression using your real. My name is Duane Hinman and I go by dmhinman. No need to hide under a false name (my opinion) Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466508].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jagged
    Showing my real name under nickname solves the problem for me. I've been using this nickname for years.
    It's associate with my business name. I have nothing to hide....But I do believe knowing the real name may add just a touch more credibility.

    All contacts for me through my businesses or websites all have my real name: kenperry@.....

    But since I am not here in the warrior to "conduct business"...only here to learn and discuss business...I really don't see a problem with nicknames...

    Ken
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466549].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      I respond to "Jonathan," "ZigZag," "Sex King," and "Oi You."
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466582].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    I think there are other indicators as to having a good idea that someone is using their real name here or not.

    As you get to know them from their posts you can start to see who the sincere folks are from the bullshi*ters.

    You can see a bigger picture of the person by looking at thier own sites too. Sometimes the pictures and names they use here are about the same in thier business and on thier own blogs.

    Not that there is anything wrong with being a bs type and joker but if you are always "on" then I have a more difficult time determining the difference when you make a product recomendation or any advice. I will automatically take everything into account.

    It's easier for me to trust someone that I at least "think" is using their real name and person when they represent it to me than the fulltime joker.

    Besides, some things just give themselves away like Jared Alberghini for example. I mean he has that look and he is the "Godson of The Godfather",

    so why would he go with something as wimpy as Jared? c'mon, wouldn't Guido be better?

    Matt
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lecturer
    Originally Posted by grumpyb View Post

    I have read here in some threads some discussion on whether people should use their real names. My name is Peter but my wife calls me a grumpyb so I guess both names will get an answer.

    But seriously for a moment what are the pros and cons of using your real name here and disclosing your correct loacation ?


    It doesnt really matter for some one using a nickname on forum, but the main thing is, Is he or she being sincere and honest.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rlnorthcutt
    What an interesting question!

    I don't have too many feelings one way or the other... but I will say that the closer I work with someone, the more comfortable I will be if I know who they are.

    Granted, even meeting someone face to face can get you a fake name, but I do think people will be more honest and reliable (as they can be) if you actually know them.

    Alot of studies show that its harder for people to scam or cheat someone that they are personally connected to (I said harder, not impossible!). Its part of our programming.

    Ron
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author avi_31337
    I use my own name....for the reason I love my name
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466955].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Well at least you look like a normal guy ProductCreator.
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466985].message }}
  • I use my real name because of branding... My real name is my business name. It's my branded name. Problem is, when I get married that's all going to change, so I may just keep my maiden name as a pen name and register my maiden name as a business name... Or I may just change everything to what will be my married name, and let everyone know.

    Regardless, right now it makes my banking easier because no one is making cheques out to "cljazz86" or something... Plus people know me on here. In August I will have been here for 4 years - that's a long time to build a reputation.

    - Cherilyn
    Signature
    Take your product from idea to profit in less than 90 days! Work with me to develop and implement a step-by-step plan for success!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Kaye
    I'm a radio host and in my business your name is everything. When people hear my name I need them to automatically connect with my radio station and format.

    I think the same is true with marketing. Think about the books you buy. Do you buy them because of the title or the author? Me? I buy for the author because I recognize their product with one that I enjoy:

    Seth Godin
    Spencer Johnson
    Robert Allen
    Joel Osteen
    Malcolm Gladwell

    My two cents...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467150].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Henshaw
      Cherilyn,

      You might be interested in this thread:

      I use my real name because of branding... My real name is my business name. It's my branded name. Problem is, when I get married that's all going to change, so I may just keep my maiden name as a pen name and register my maiden name as a business name... Or I may just change everything to what will be my married name, and let everyone know.
      http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...tml#post494017


      Regards,
      Jeff.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494135].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Enigma7
      Boy oh Boy! This battle has raged on many a forum...but when it's all said and done, I agree with those who say it's simply "personal preference". If we need our "Real Name" to keep us honest, we have bigger issues than can be dealt with here
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494178].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darth Executor
      Originally Posted by Mark Kaye View Post

      I'm a radio host and in my business your name is everything. When people hear my name I need them to automatically connect with my radio station and format.

      I think the same is true with marketing. Think about the books you buy. Do you buy them because of the title or the author? Me? I buy for the author because I recognize their product with one that I enjoy:

      Seth Godin
      Spencer Johnson
      Robert Allen
      Joel Osteen
      Malcolm Gladwell

      My two cents...
      You don't need to use your real name to have a recognizable name. Using your radio example, there was a DJ in Toronto called Mad Dog. Lots of people in my age range would easily recognize his voice and style instantly but most of us (myself included) have no idea what his name is.

      Bottom line, having a recognizable name is useful, but there's no point in using your real one unless you want to play superstar. I don't, I'd much rather have my privacy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494977].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GT
      Hello:

      I use my real name for branding purposes. I'm looking long-term, down the road, and I want to make sure I start off right by identifying myself and using that to my advantage as my Internet business grows and my reputation develops.

      GT
      Signature

      * You Can Begin Earning Affiliate Income Here – Direct Commissions and Residual Income!
      * Home Business Resources and Affiliate Opportunities
      * Visit This Library to Expand Your Knowledge – Blog Post
      * Reinventing Your Life - Make the Rest of Your Life the BEST of Your Life!
      * Follow Me On Twitter ===> MyPowerSite <===| gtbulmer | StarrBizzcom

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[495840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ldimilo
    I use my real name b/c it is easier to remember when I have to type in my username to log in...kind of takes the guess work out of things
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467155].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Mine is my business name, but I also know there is another Jill Carpenter who is also on the internet for film (she is make up artist) and she and I are both listed on a specific film site.

      And I found another Jill Carpenter who is a published author.

      I have thought about getting married and changing my name, but it would only drop the "pen" in my current situation.

      Will cross that bridge when it comes.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596608].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kirk Ward
    I never use my real name. In fact, no one told me I was really Lycurgus Barnhill Ward until I was 16 years old! I continue to hide under the name Kirk Ward to this day.

    Cheers
    Signature
    "We are not here to sell a parcel of boilers and vats, but the potentiality of growing rich beyond the dreams of avarice."

    Dr. Samuel Johnson (Presiding at the sale of Thrales brewery, London, 1781)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467270].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tyson Faulkner
      Back when I first joined the warrior forum I made up a name as my user name. A short time later I decided to make a new account under my real name. I feel like I don't have anything to hide and would like people to get to know who I am.

      I personally think it's hard to connect with someone when I don't even know their name.

      I am here to build a business, and it is going to be centered around my name. I plan on having a lot of websites in the future and I want people to know who is behind them so if they've had a good experience with me they'll know they can trust me. And if they've had a bad experience, then it's up to me to make it up to them and fix the problem, instead of just making up a new name and moving on.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrizzyMum
    Good question.. I have started to use the same username across various forums and blogs to be consistent yet not have my real name due to wanting to keep a small amount of privacy. I'm more interested in trying to protect my children as much as possible. But i guess if someone really wanted to find and locate me it probably wouldn't be all that difficult.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wakunahum
    When I joined, I didn't know others used their real names as user names.

    But I figure I am not doing any business or selling anything, so people can choose to trust me or not. I don't even promote a site in my signature, so I hope people think I'm real.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467333].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheRichJerksNet
    Why would'nt I use my real name... I have nothing to hide, I am who I am. Personally I like to refer to people who they are it is soooo unprofessional to say "Hey You".

    I want my products/services/websites associated with my name..

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisByrns
    well.. Chris Byrns is actually an alias which i made up just because i mainly deal with US clients.. when talking to english-speaking clients on the phone i needed a name that they could comprehend.. nowadays, the name Chris Byrns is also inscribed on my ID (as "artist name") and i even use it in everyday life, not just in the online world.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467345].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eSeM
    I haven't used my real name online since i used WoW! as an ISP when i was like 10.

    I haven't had a need, Although im sure its beneficial for some people to use their name
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane.n
    i use myreal name why not man!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbarnes77777
    In my case it is one of those things where you do not know what to expect so you decide to play it safe. I guess it boils down to the level of comfort anonymity provides.

    After using this forum for a while I will have no problem using my real name. I just haven't gotten around creating that account yet.

    Surely on my to do list though.
    Signature

    The Amazing "Systems" Work From Home And Make At Least $5,000 Per Week!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[467666].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rich Mann
      My personal take on using Real Names on the internet is that there's a time and place for using guarded information. I own a legally licensed business in the real world and use my real name when dealing with customers.

      The internet, IMHO, isn't a place to give out real information unless you are using it for branding or are a high profile personality. Identity theft is real and it's big business. if you've ever known anyone that has been a victim to this crime, you also know the devastation it causes. Call me paranoid, but just because your paranoid doesn't mean that someone's not out to get you.

      I have a vicious ex-wife that would love to know what I'm doing to make money and how much I make. My children are grown and they are very active on the internet. I have business competitors that would really like to know what I'm up to.

      Although I don't have anything to hide or to be ashamed of, I choose to maintain control of who knows what personal information about me. I think it's a personal decision as to how transparent you really want to be in the wilds of the internet. And really, It's not difficult to get all the personal information about someone you want. There are plenty of background investigation pay sites, that for a few bucks, will serve up everything you want to know about someone.

      Credibility, trust and relationship building are things that are built over time. The name that's attached to that relationship is the name that is associated with the relationship no matter what that name is. If you deal honestly and respectfully within your sphere of influence, whatever you call yourself or your business is what will carry the burden of character according to how you conduct yourself. I agree with ZigZag.

      ZigZag wrote:
      I think that if a person's ethical, truthworthy, and moral, they're ethical, trustworthy, and moral. Doesn't really matter what name they use.
      Just my humble opine.

      Rich Mann
      Signature

      Sig went on vacation. Will return shortly smothered with some AwesomeSauce!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[486930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rich Mann
    Just a quick question. Does anyone in this thread remember a user named "ManWithTwoArms" that posted to this thread and got banned from WF? I was chatting with him and he told me that he got banned and doesn't know why.
    Signature

    Sig went on vacation. Will return shortly smothered with some AwesomeSauce!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[486965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author qubex
    Although I've been using the handle "Qubex" for a few years now, my 'real' name is Curtis.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[487075].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      I've used both usernames or my real name. It depends on the situation. Here I decided to use my real name because I want to build relationships with people and trust. This is an important forum and I value it.
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[487168].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PatDoyle
    I use my real name for branding, and because it is also the name of my blog. I want people to remember my name, as Mark Kaye said, hopefully they will trust my products because of the name.

    But I do use a pen name for some other markets. Mostly because I don't want people to know all the other markets I am in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[487169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigRedNotebook
    My real name, Viagra Cialis Rogaine-Steroids, tends to get me banned.

    Seriously, though, I went with my business name instead of my own name because I'm more interested in "branding" the business name.

    I also think that there are people who use "handles" because they're more interested in learning a little and having some conversation than they are in building a business via the WF. They might be missing out on a great opportunity, but I don't think it's fair to make any assumptions about honesty based on that decision.
    Signature
    Professional SEO Content Provider and Copywriter
    Prices that Make Sense!
    5+ Years of Full-Time Experience
    Carson Brackney
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[487487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sleaklight
    I registered as a guinea pig for the coder of the original warriorforum and never thought of actually sticking around so never used my real name by name all my buddies know me by. Then I did stick around and I tried changing to my real name recently, but it is taken and I hate to use my name with random numbers attached to it. lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[487576].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author armadillo
      I don't use my real name anywhere online, not because my level of honesty, but because of yours.

      I don't have a "discount" card or "membership" card at the local supermarket because I don't really care for them to have a detailed printout on exactly how many rolls of toilet paper I bought last year and whether or not it was perfumed.

      If I respond to an email for a "free offer" you don't get my real email address.

      I'm an intensely private person, and who I am and where I live and all the other personal information that becomes available to a determined searcher given those two bits of info, is exactly that, private and personal, and if I don't protect it, it won't be protected.

      I'm not a member of facebook, or myspace, or any of the other social networking sites, and I really don't understand them. People talk out one side of their mouth proclaiming identity theft as evil, while at the same time throwing the most intimate details of their lives and business out in emails, chatrooms and forums, all of which are basically public venues. (No, I can't read your emails. But your boss can if you use his network, along with any government agency that has the desire. Thats close enough to public for me)

      Will this hurt me in my business dealings? Not markedly, so far. Isn't this paranoid? Yes, certainly, whats wrong with that? ....And why do you want to know? I walk MY walk and talk My talk, not yours. It's all good. (Could you tell this a hot button for me?)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[487670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jassim
    Putting the real name & real picture creates great credibility. People who reads your posts while think comfortable as they are reading honest person posts & this will be very helpful when you launch wso.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[487660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Sol
    Because 99% of people cannot pronounce my last name...
    Signature
    Alex Sol, Full time online marketer since 2007
    The Extra Paycheck Blog | Extra Paycheck Podcast
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus Paul
    I found changing my screen name to my pen name may it easier to do business. Before it was associated with only one of my projects, which was limiting.
    Signature
    New Launch in 2019 - Join my free Facebook Group - Step4: Profit! - We help beginners learn strategies to make money online.


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494040].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eddycole
    I use my real name because I thought it appropriate. Not saying using an alias is inappropriate...

    I've also been known to respond to the name, God, too, but usually it's someone screaming "Oh God, oH GOd!..." LOL!

    ed
    Signature
    ~ Eddy Cole is a 25 year veteran and leading pioneer in providing innovative, highly scalable solutions to internet companies wishing to make great strides in developing ultra-effective business models that will be instrumental in their revenue generating endeavors... kthxbai.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494102].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Enigma7
      Originally Posted by eddycole View Post

      I use my real name because I thought it appropriate. Not saying using an alias is inappropriate...

      I've also been known to respond to the name, God, too, but usually it's someone screaming "Oh God, oH GOd!..." LOL!

      ed

      Too Funny!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rupps
    I stopped using my real name in posts, at least for the time being. I use my nickname now. I do business with a lot, I mean a whole lot of people. I am sure some Google my name and I don't really care to have them see the myriad of things I have asked or have helped others with.

    Plus I don't know what the future holds in store for me. If I run for congress, is some stupid comment I make years before going to work against me?

    I don't care too much about credibility as I don't sell anything to people here. As far as buying from a pen name? I could care less as long as the product looks good and is believable.
    Signature

    To Your Success !!
    - Rupps

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494112].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnSpangler
    I think folks love to know who they are dealing with because unlike an offline business that you walk in and introduce yourself, online you can be anyone.

    By providing your real name you at least, to a small degree, add a "security seal" of sorts because our belief is that since someone is using their real name they are less likely to be snowballing anyone since they are using their real name.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494123].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
      I use my real name. That's my brand. That's how people know they'll get a good product. People don't buy the product - they buy the person behind the product.

      I see nothing wrong however with using a pen name (not a username like Google Terminator or xfgh66) as long as you are consistent. If I used a pen name, like Edward van Hackensack, then everything I create, any username in forums and social sites, etc would be Edward van Hackensack.
      Signature
      Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Keegahn
    My "pen name" is actually my middle name followed by my real last name. For me personally it has nothing to do with anonymity, it just allows individual profiles for both personal and business relationships.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John M Kane
    I don't recall selecting it.
    I think Mr Says gave it to me years back or Roboform did
    or it flew out my a..
    Peps resent my avatar so, I figured keeping war28476 just gives them more to grind their teeth about

    I would have used THX1138 but, I didn't want to get sued or worse.
    war28476
    or
    Old Fart or
    John Boy
    or like mom would call me "g-d D-mn it" come here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SeanIM
    I thought about using my full name but it's just too many characters...

    SeanIM

    is much shorter than

    Sean Ingram Mitchell ;-)

    -S
    Signature
    Sean Mitchell -
    Online Marketing & Tech Consultant Since 1999
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Micheal Perkins
    I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I first signed up. I spent several minutes trying to decide if I wanted to put my real name on here or a pen name.

    I'm a cop where I live, and am working to build a business online. So because of my profession I wasn't sure if I wanted my real name out there yet. You see we have to worry about what people are going to do with any information we put online about ourselves.

    There are some defense attorneys that will use anything they can find out about us to make us look bad in court and try to destroy our credibility to the jury. They will do that instead of trying the aspects of the case when they know they have a looser case. So rather than focus on their clients actions, they try to tear us down in front of the jury to show we can't be trusted.

    So I had to think about it for a few minutes. I decided to put my real name on here, but to reserve some other details that would help nail down who I am. Once I am out of the law enforcement game I will be more open with my information.

    I decided to use my real name because I want to build my name and reputation. I felt that was important to do if I really want to make this my new full time career.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Simon74
    I prefer to do business to a real person, that's why I use a my real name, I think works better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[495524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trader54
    How does one really know unless you have met the person in real life and really get to know them?

    I got to know someone from this forum and then found out they did not use
    there real name or real picture.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[496526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Craig Fenton
    Hi Peter:

    Hope the weekend is going well thus far. The reason some use their real name is they believe that it shows credibility/validity to post and comment without hiding. When the time comes to advertise a product people may feel more secure with their upfront approach.

    The disadvantage that you hear about is when somebody gives a real name and says something positive or negative about a topic, company, or marketing system. If they are easy to find through websites and emails they can get hassled.

    You may have noticed that not only with politics or religion but sports, music, and marketing there isn't always great respect for the other point of view.

    Have a fantastic Sunday!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[496540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BizBoost
    Three Words: THE - RICH - JERK
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lewis Turner
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596148].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom B
      Banned
      My real name is Kevin Riley. I created this profile because I make more sales using this handsome picture instead of the hairy, old looking picture many of you have seen.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596164].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Nahm D. Plume
        I'm a firm believer in using a name.

        Therefore I do.

        NDP
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RayAndLisaJ
    I can see where Jared is coming from with the trust issue. I'm not saying I wouldn't do business with someone using a pen name, actually I'm sure I have. A few other posters make great points for not using your real name also.

    For me as a matter of consistency I always use my name and my wifes. We are partners in business as well as in life. It's not my purpose here but in terms of branding it just makes sence to keep it the same everywhere.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    There is another thread that is asking the question: "Who are the gurus you trust the most"? and all answers name people by name not a single marketing method or brand like "The Rich Jerk" is mentioned.

    Just an observation about trust and credibility.

    Matt
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Powertreb
    I don't see the harm in using an alias. Of course sometimes it can be harmful. But in a case like mine...I use the same alias in lots of bookmarking sites.

    All my info, including my photo is readily available on my FaceBook profile.

    I do have to disagree that using a real name always spells honesty. Just look at Ben Glinsky and Mike Glaspie. They use real names. They are also some of the biggest crooks on the web.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steadyon
    I am very happy to give my help on this forum.

    But if you knew my real name then my success in my niches may be jeopardised.

    Also, I don't want some a**hole bugging me.

    No other reasons.


    Steadyon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bhevs
    I don't use my real name because it's very common and there are member who already signed up with it so I can't use it.
    Signature
    It's Time You Discovered new jersey chiropractor marketing The goal of the Directory is to introduce the people of New Jersey to the Chiropractic community.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    Originally Posted by ProductCreator View Post

    I still don't get why people think a real name is more trustworthy than a pen name.
    I don't think the issue is really about pen names because you're right how would I know if that was his real name or not.

    The difference between using something like ProductCreator and a person's name can be the deciding factor when someone is considering buying your products.

    Paul Myers can get more people to check out one of his recommendations than someone using something like "Marketing Profits".

    If I go to a site selling a product called "Marketing Profits" I have to base my buying decision on the sales page alone unless there are testimonials on the page.

    In which case, I would then look at the testimonials and can bet that the folks giving the testimonials are using real names.

    Now if Paul said "hey Matt go check out the Marketing Profits product" then I would definitely be more inclined to believe the product promises based on how much I valued Paul's opinion.

    Yes Paul can be using a pen name but since I don't know that and based on what I do know about him I will still value his recommendation.

    I think it is harder to judge and evaluate a person that does not even attempt to use a real name.

    If Tom Cruise was interested in IM and decided to check us out he would probably not use his real name with reason. But if he used "a" real name we would still feel like the person we were talking to was more down to earth and not always "on".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596724].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Fullman
    I use my real name, simply because it's my real name.

    Established members with non-human names don't bother me, though.

    Steve
    Signature

    Not promoting right now

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WinsonYeung
    It's all come down to branding yourself. People will only notice you or aware of you if you are using name that make sense (not piggy etc etc) with your photo included.
    <======Winson Yeung is my name
    Signature
    [WSO of The Day] Discount How To Generate 172.56% Positive Return OR build your List for FREE!

    "Case Study: Discover You Can Make $1371.66 With A Simple Blog Post by Clicking Here"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Norma Holt
    Originally Posted by grumpyb View Post

    I have read here in some threads some discussion on whether people should use their real names. My name is Peter but my wife calls me a grumpyb so I guess both names will get an answer.

    But seriously for a moment what are the pros and cons of using your real name here and disclosing your correct loacation ?
    Its funny that this thread has surfaced. I was thinking of adding one on this very subject.

    People are probably confused into thinking that using a nom de plum is a good idea in forums. However, I am of the opinion that it does them an injustice.
    1. They are here to market a product. Would you deal with a shopkeeper who greets you wearing a disguise or a mask on his face?
    2. You need to get your name known on the Internet so that people can find you.
    3. Your name gets listed in the search engines and links to everything you put on the web.
    4. If you have a different name everywhere you go people won't find you as readily as if you are using your real name. After all you put your real name into sign up forms etc.
    5. Forum members can relate better to you if they know your name
    6. You will get a following and if, later on, you change from a nom de plum to your RN then those following won't know you.
    7. This place in particular is very friendly and no one will be taking over and stealing your identity.

    Well, that's just some of the reasons I can think of. I am sure there are dozens more.

    While your wife might call you by a pet name it might not sound too credible to others.

    God bless

    Norma
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596786].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grumpyb
      [quote=Norma Holt;596786]Its funny that this thread has surfaced. I was thinking of adding one on this very subject.

      While your wife might call you by a pet name it might not sound too credible to others.

      Im surprised that this thread has re surfaced my self but its obviously a topic that generates a lot of discussion

      Norma I see your point of veiw and can agree in the main but I am know as grumpyb in many places and by many people
      I have an Ebay Id and a website in the name grumpyb wet sell Huge volumes of products.
      We also run TV advertisng here in Australia and it invites people to call grumpyb and they do If i answer the phone and say Peter here they ask for grumpyb.

      So the thread was not really started about my use of the name grumpyb but as to what the pros and cons are here on the forum and why some people choose to hide behind their user name and remain almost anonymous.
      We certainly have got afew different opinions
      Regards grumpyb (alias Peter)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[597057].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Norma Holt
        [quote=grumpyb;597057]
        Originally Posted by Norma Holt View Post

        Its funny that this thread has surfaced. I was thinking of adding one on this very subject.

        While your wife might call you by a pet name it might not sound too credible to others.

        Im surprised that this thread has re surfaced my self but its obviously a topic that generates a lot of discussion

        Norma I see your point of veiw and can agree in the main but I am know as grumpyb in many places and by many people
        I have an Ebay Id and a website in the name grumpyb wet sell Huge volumes of products.
        We also run TV advertisng here in Australia and it invites people to call grumpyb and they do If i answer the phone and say Peter here they ask for grumpyb.

        So the thread was not really started about my use of the name grumpyb but as to what the pros and cons are here on the forum and why some people choose to hide behind their user name and remain almost anonymous.
        We certainly have got afew different opinions
        Regards grumpyb (alias Peter)
        You don't look grumpy from your avatar. Do people also sing Advance Australia Fair to you when you walk down the street? And do you find yourself up a pole from time to time?

        God bless

        Norma
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[597463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Johnson
    Maybe I'm old school, but I prefer to do business with people who use their real name.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Barbara Wilson
    Well, I use my real name here. I don't have anything against folks using a pen name - I've just never had a nickname or pen name, so when I registered years ago I just used my real name.

    I answer to lots of things though - Mom, Grandma, Sis, Honey, Baby (my Mom still calls me that!) and even Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm (that's from one grandson's new girlfriend!). None of these seem appropriate to use on a forum though. )
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[596923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Park
    Well,... as for my personal preference, I'd like to use my real name.
    And that's because I just like to show others that I'm real...

    Pros:

    You MUST live up to what you say; otherwise, you're gonna have a reputation that you're not trustworthy. If you're not trustworthy, people may think your products are not trustworthy and you won't go very far in your business. So by using your own name, you begin projecting your image as someone people can trust. I believe it's a very good way to brand yourself.

    Cons:

    You could jeopardize your other businesses. An example would be say, you're known as an expert in internet marketing. But if people find out that you're also working for Starbucks as an employee and working part time as a telemarketer (no offense whatsoever to those who are working in these fields), they might think you're not so successful as an internet marketer. Know what I mean?

    I don't know if this is such a good example but I'm sure there are a number of reasons why people must use their penname instead of their real names...

    But personally, I'd like to deal with those with real names.

    Regards,
    Joseph
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[597043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author themindvoid
    well. i use this user name for just about everyhing and its also my email, takes most of the guesswork. Plus it feels like a general safe precaution , if i left my name every, someone could theoretically google me and find out everything, down to issues im having in my daily life, i rather not.

    My name is also in profile, and anyone who i talk to via skype or even pm , i sign with my real name NOT themindvoid
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[597069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OmarNegron
    it let's people know who I really am. There is so much junk out there on the net, people want to see how you will be different from the rest.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[597395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onlinewealth2009
    I don't use my real name in forums and public websites. You cannot tell, there are a lot of hackers who might go deep inside your private identities that includes your family. It's better to use nickname so that you will not be confused at all when you join any forums.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[597432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author morwanneg
    I'm a very private person. I rarely use my name when participating on forums. What i use is a name that i think represents me as a person.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[597474].message }}

Trending Topics