6 replies
Not sure what I need to do here and hope somebody can answer my questions:

I have some Word[ess sites and Godaddy emailed me saying that there are one or more updates ready for the Wordpress hosting application that I use. When I log into my WP dashboard it also mentions that there is a Wordpress update available and a link to update to version 3.3

I was going to update via Godaddy and then realised that there may be things to consider like backup, plugs-ins etc.

My questions:

1. Do you really need to update? my sites are live now.

2. Is there a chance I could loose anything and will updating WP affect my sites in any way including all the plugins etc?

Thanks if you can help.
#updating #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author Bryan V
    Updates can contain security upgrades. Sometimes updating screws up plugin functionality, so you may want to wait it out a bit, or check the plugin page to make sure. It usually takes a while for the plugin to be updated if its not compatible--if ever.
    Signature
    Perhaps an attic I shall seek.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5280819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chandan_dutta
    1. Do you really need to update? my sites are live now.

    => Updating is needed because of security

    2. Is there a chance I could loose anything and will updating WP affect my sites in any way including all the plugins etc?

    ==> Yeah, there is chance. Recently one of my friend struggled a lot. He was unable to log in to Dashboard. Somehow I fixed that.

    To avoid this issue, always make sure to keep complete back up and then only update. In worst case, you will be able to revert your blog to previous version.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5281105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oswald Luis
    Come one,this is safe and they add alot of new features to it,you shoud update it right now via your website,it literary takes lesss than a minute,it is very important to update it because of security reasons and other things.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5281126].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dshipman
      I've been automatically updating my websites whenever I get that message. I haven't had any problems.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5281133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mywebwork
    NEVER even consider updating WordPress or a plugin without first having a solid proven backup! The 5 minutes of effort required to backup your files and database are well worth it, especially if the update destroys the site.

    WordPress 3.3 is stable, but one of your plugins may not work properly with it and that can often bring the whole site to its knees - I've seen the quite a few times with previous WordPress updates.

    Naturally you'll need to do the update (for the security fixes if nothing else), however play it smart and backup first.

    Bill
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5281153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Abledragon
    As the others have said, it's important to keep your software up to date (any application, not just WordPress) because hackers look for and exploit weaknesses in older versions. So, for security reasons, you should always upgrade whenever an upgrade is available.

    Secondly, new versions often include new functionality that improves the performance of your site. For example, 3.3 now has jquery in the core and that means that plugins using JavaScript can be coded much more efficiently which, in turn, will improve your page-load time.

    Problems that people experience after upgrading are 99% caused by plugins, with the other 1% being caused by a theme.

    So be sure to upgrade all your plugins and your theme prior to upgrading the WordPress core.

    This article goes into the step-by-step process I use for WordPress upgrades - it minimises the chances of problems arising and enables you to find and fix them if they do:

    How to Avoid WordPress Upgrade Problems | WealthyDragon

    Cheers,

    Martin.
    Signature
    WealthyDragon - Earning My Living Online
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5281158].message }}

Trending Topics