Do You Hate Being Marketed To?

37 replies
You hear this a lot when people complain about being, in their eyes, "Over marketed" to. I'll be the first to admit it....I don't mind being marketed to as long as it's within the range in which I market to people. In other words, just because I use a telephone for my business, doesn't mean I'm open to getting calls from a boiler room that call my phone 5 times a day.

When I first started out in sales, I had to make cold-calls. And the guy that trained me said "You'll never hang up on a cold-caller again, because now you know how it feels". And actually, I don't think I've ever NOT hung up on a cold-caller. I hated doing it, and I hated getting those calls.

How bout you? Are you a completely tolerant marketer when it comes to other marketers?
#hate #marketed
  • Profile picture of the author MacMiller
    I find myself critiquing their sales pitch haha. Now that I have been in the game for a while I always find myself judging other marketing/sales pitches weather it be in a commercial, billboard, or sales call.

    What can I say? I always have money on my mind!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Why should I care? I might be able to learn how to be a better marketer, simply by paying attention to what others do.

    I only take issue when someone sends messages to an email address that has been specifically set aside for support or some other purpose.
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317351].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cyberkntsean
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

      Why should I care? I might be able to learn how to be a better marketer, simply by paying attention to what others do.
      I agree ! I have a treasure store in my inbox


      As for the aggressive email marketers... I hit the link at the bottom... done.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317379].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

      Why should I care? I might be able to learn how to be a better marketer, simply by paying attention to what others do.

      I only take issue when someone sends messages to an email address that has been specifically set aside for support or some other purpose.
      It might. Or it could make you a worse marketer. The marketer might be successful despite his email marketing campaigns. It could give you some ideas to test possibly, but just because a successful marketer does something, doesn't mean it's what made them successful.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317536].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Two things...

    1) I hate being badly marketed to. There's a big difference between 'marketers objecting to marketing' and me objecting to incompetence and deliberate stupidity. If I'm on your 'fishing reports' list, I really don't give a rat's nads about "the special deal you finagled from your good buddy Joe on his new 'How to Cure Genital Warts' ebook." Not the first time, nor the eighth time you send the 'oops, here's the right link' email, all with the correct link.

    2) I don't like being over-marketed to. This one, however, is mostly self-inflicted. No one forced me to subscribe to too many lists, nor are they forcing me to stay on them. Hence my occasional purges. If I haven't gotten around to opening your last 'X' emails, I just unsubscribe. Problem solved, at least until the next purge...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317373].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author caseycase
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      Two things...

      1) I hate being badly marketed to. There's a big difference between 'marketers objecting to marketing' and me objecting to incompetence and deliberate stupidity. If I'm on your 'fishing reports' list, I really don't give a rat's nads about "the special deal you finagled from your good buddy Joe on his new 'How to Cure Genital Warts' ebook." Not the first time, nor the eighth time you send the 'oops, here's the right link' email, all with the correct link.

      2) I don't like being over-marketed to. This one, however, is mostly self-inflicted. No one forced me to subscribe to too many lists, nor are they forcing me to stay on them. Hence my occasional purges. If I haven't gotten around to opening your last 'X' emails, I just unsubscribe. Problem solved, at least until the next purge...
      I agree with this all around. Also, my wife is a marketer in a different market, and I get some good insight from her by listening to her pitches and strategies. This helps me to get a good perspective on how I make people feel with my own marketing.
      Signature

      Free IM Info, No Junk - http://www.ironcladim.com



      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5323299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    It really depends on who is doing the marketing and how they are doing it. Being marketed to can actually be a great opportunity to learn how to better market yourself. You see first hand what works and what doesn't work (at least for you). You still have to split test because your opinions may not be in line with what others consider "okay".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317451].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author x3xsolxdierx3x
      Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

      It really depends on who is doing the marketing and how they are doing it. Being marketed to can actually be a great opportunity to learn how to better market yourself. You see first hand what works and what doesn't work (at least for you). You still have to split test because your opinions may not be in line with what others consider "okay".
      For all the people who say it's imperative to "unsubscribe" from every "gurus" list, while they were saying that, I subscribed to no less than 20 "gurus" and other marketer's mailing lists.

      I welcomed the emails. Not only that, but I made seperate folders, in my Yahoo mail account, for each one's daily correspondence.

      I learned from them, and used their messages for research. I took note of timing and content of messages.

      I still have these folders.

      On occasion, I will buy from someone who I feel has gone over and beyond with instilling value. Besides that, the research value of their messages was invaluable.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5319420].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UptonGoodwin
    I don't really like being marketted too but it's not like we have a choice in the matter. Somebody will always be trying to get you to buy something, you can't avoid it unless you live in complete isolation from the world.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I don't like being "badly" marketed to, as has already been suggested.
    Emails such as "hello friend" or "I know what you're thinking."
    I also HATE spam with a passion and wish I could find a way to get rid of the truly spammy emails. I don't mean the marketing ones. I mean the ones that find a way to send you the same emails day after day, regardless of your filters.

    I also HATE badly spelt emails as I am a writer/proofreader and I find that makes me lose interest straightaway because if they don't care enough to spell check their work, what else don't they care about?
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Read my Warriors for Hire ad.
    Writer/Editor/Proofreader. Place orders.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317554].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      I don't like being "badly" marketed to, as has already been suggested.
      Emails such as "hello friend" or "I know what you're thinking."
      I think that's why I dislike the whole idea of the "swipe file". Because you can tell when it's a cut/paste guru email because it comes across as being incredibly cheesy and out of place.

      Personally, I don't like looking at a marketer and saying "Hey, this guy is successful, therefore his emails must be great. So I'll use them as a swipe file".

      I'd rather look at someone that's successful and try to figure out the Bigger ideas as to why they are good at what they do.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317627].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author David Sneen
        The irony is, we may hate being sold to, but we love to buy!!!
        Signature
        David Sneen
        It's what you do when no one is watching
        that determines what you will be able to
        do when everyone is watching.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Red
    People love to buy things, but hate being sold to....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ricochet
    As long as they don't try and pitch me a get rich quick product, then i'm cool with them.

    We all market, it's our occupation. One in such a profession should naturally be tolerant, at the same time eagle eyed for the fly by night marketers after a quick sale at the prospects expense.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thebitbotdotcom
    I don't mind being marketed to at all...It is always a great opportunity to learn something cool.

    Unfortunately, I have never been impressed by anything I have seen.
    Signature
    Do Your Copywriting Skills Suck?

    Let Us Help You Develop Your Writing Skills!

    Submit Guest Posts With [ TheBitBot.Com ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317746].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
      Originally Posted by thebitbotdotcom View Post

      I have never been impressed by anything I have seen.
      Hey, seen the new Jack in the Box placemats they stick in the trays at the restaurant?

      They're squeeze pages.

      In print.

      That's kind of awesome.
      Signature
      "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317768].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
      Originally Posted by thebitbotdotcom View Post

      I don't mind being marketed to at all...It is always a great opportunity to learn something cool.

      Unfortunately, I have never been impressed by anything I have seen.
      Well, you should have been at my house the other day...

      Seriously.

      Two of those "Frozen Meats and Stuff" guys came around in their truck pushing their products. (A newbie and the closer.) You know... 10 pounds of meat for the incredible price of only $269, except for you, because they want to earn your business...

      So your price is only $125.

      42 cuts of meat laid out to make you think you'll need a bigger freezer.

      It looks great until you do the math and realize those 42 cuts of meat, at only $2.98 a serving, works out to $12.50 a pound.

      Including the ground beef.

      So they won't tell you the weight, just the number of cuts, no matter how many times you ask how much it all weighs.

      I made the error of buying one of those packages years ago when the math worked out to around $8 a pound, including the ground beef. Ground beef was $1.89 a pound back then. I felt burnt...half the load was ground beef.

      Anyway, what the point of this story is all about is the fantastic feeling I was left with after the salesman left.

      That's right, just being 'sold to' by this person was worth every minute I spent saying "NO" to his offer.

      There wasn't an objection I could throw at him that he couldn't counter.

      He was polite, he knew the product inside and out, he knew how to make the prospect feel like they were the only person on the planet at the time, in essence, a consumate sales person.

      It was a great experience.

      Seriously.

      As a sales person for a lot of my life I can and do really truly appreciate being pitched to by a pro. And I mean 'pro' in all the best senses of the word.

      I was impressed.

      And I didn't spend a dime...been there done that...

      I just wish I was in a position to hire that guy.

      Seriously.

      ~Bill
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5322407].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
        Originally Posted by Bill Farnham View Post

        Well, you should have been at my house the other day...

        Seriously.

        Two of those "Frozen Meats and Stuff" guys came around in their truck pushing their products. (A newbie and the closer.) You know... 10 pounds of meat for the incredible price of only $269, except for you, because they want to earn your business...

        So your price is only $125.

        42 cuts of meat laid out to make you think you'll need a bigger freezer.

        It looks great until you do the math and realize those 42 cuts of meat, at only $2.98 a serving, works out to $12.50 a pound.

        Including the ground beef.

        So they won't tell you the weight, just the number of cuts, no matter how many times you ask how much it all weighs.

        I made the error of buying one of those packages years ago when the math worked out to around $8 a pound, including the ground beef. Ground beef was $1.89 a pound back then. I felt burnt...half the load was ground beef.

        Anyway, what the point of this story is all about is the fantastic feeling I was left with after the salesman left.

        That's right, just being 'sold to' by this person was worth every minute I spent saying "NO" to his offer.

        There wasn't an objection I could throw at him that he couldn't counter.

        He was polite, he knew the product inside and out, he knew how to make the prospect feel like they were the only person on the planet at the time, in essence, a consumate sales person.

        It was a great experience.

        Seriously.

        As a sales person for a lot of my life I can and do really truly appreciate being pitched to by a pro. And I mean 'pro' in all the best senses of the word.

        I was impressed.

        And I didn't spend a dime...been there done that...

        I just wish I was in a position to hire that guy.

        Seriously.

        ~Bill
        Hmm. I can see your point, but this isn't something that necessarily impress if they are unwilling to answer the one question you had...how much is the weight. To me, that's just being deceptive....and if you're deceptive, you might be a good salesperson, but you're not an ethical one.

        It reminds me of a dealing I had with an Edward Jones rep a few years back. My wife was a teacher and was referred to their office to setup the 403b. I knew Edward Jones funds had higher fees, so I questioned him on that. He went through his example and showed me how certain funds outperformed the benchmark, how the fee is irrelevant because they return higher, how we'd have access to him, and then he showed us how his money would grow.

        To anybody sitting there, it probably would've come across as a piece of masterful selling. But there were 2 major flaws with his presentation:

        1) There was an additional fee he didn't mention. The "Advisor Fee" of 5.75%. It didn't get brought up until I mentioned it.

        2) He was using the benefit of hindsight to show me funds that outperformed the benchmark. If I knew the returns of all the funds, I could give you a suggestion which ones would beat a benchmark, net of fees.

        Now....is this masterful selling or just deception?

        I don't think it's a skill to be able to frame things to mask the truth in some way.

        I guess it's kind of different strokes for different folks.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5323828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Market to me baby..... market to me like there's no tomorrow....please.........

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317906].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bofu2U
    I love being marketed to! If they've got a pitch I haven't heard before I take it, modify it a tad and use it myself. It's like free education (or possibly a free comedy if they're bad at it ...)
    Signature
    I run a Reputation and Brand Management Agency out of Baltimore, Maryland.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5317910].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Ryan David View Post

    Do You Hate Being Marketed To?
    No.

    I hate being lied to, though, and marketed to really unprofessionally.

    Originally Posted by Ryan David View Post

    Are you a completely tolerant marketer when it comes to other marketers?
    No, because some of them are hopelessly, dreadfully bad at what they're doing. And I do mind that - not because I can't learn anything from it, but just because it embarrasses me that some of my potential customers see me as being "in the same category" as them. I try to counteract that as well as I can, but the reality is that some people won't give me the chance to, at all - and that's at least partly the fault of "those other marketers". So I'm far from "completely tolerant", I'm afraid.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5318034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mge
    If you are being marketed to by someone who you know is successful then study what they are doing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5318738].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writerforhire
    I tend to be turned off by sales pages that try to manipulate prospects into buying immediately by telling them the offer will be withdrawn in 24 hours (or less), so if they snooze they lose. I'm all for having a strong call to action, but blatant manipulation is not a good marketing tactic IMO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5319346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MatthewNeer
    I love to be marketed to because I love to study marketing.

    I literally find myself watching late night infomercials simply to study how they are selling. It watch that stuff like some people watch TrueBlood. Lol

    I also don't mind the Internet stuff, even when dudes are hammering me with emails all day because I know that is how they are making their bread and butter, so I stop for a second, and instead of getting mad at all these emails, I ask "Why are they sending an email today?"

    Then I'll investigate the link, what they are promoting and who created that product they are promoting.

    This process has actually led to me finding some great products to promote to MY list and that have ultimately really benefited many of my subscribers.

    Moral of story: Don't get mad, get glad! You're learning! YAY!
    Signature
    Three (3) Income Streams DFY
    New FREE Website Builds Your List
    And Earns From 3 Income Streams
    http://ListLeverage.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5319370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author entrepreneurjay
    Lol it is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black if you hate being marketed too you should not be an internet marketer.

    People are trying to make a living just like you. As long as it is done in good taste and it offers some value I am speaking of email marketing shut up, grin, and bear it.

    If everyone hated being marketed too we would all be out of a job.


    I dislike people with that mentality usually they will be the first to spam the hell out of you without thinking twice but when they get an email offering value with a recommendation o.m.g. let's unsubscribe he's implying I actually buy something that a - hole lol sad but so true.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5319395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author humbledmarket
    Banned
    I don't mind it as long as they respect certain guidelines are considerate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5319404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ghostrecon
    Usually I don't mind if it is a solid pitch, but if it's some poorly written, half-assed sales page with bad English and a worse design that annoys me.
    Signature

    PinPioneer.com - Proprietary Pinterest Marketing Software
    1000 Pins Uploaded PER Hour
    Use code: WFPioneer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5319430].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      For those of you who say you study the emails from people you believe to be successful, I offer a warning...

      Study what they do over a period of time. Many of the most successful marketers are fanatical testers. That email you are studying because it came from Joe (or Jill) SuccessStory might just be the loser in a current test. In fact, it might be a complete flop.

      Copy the flop, and guess what you are likely to get?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5322088].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        For those of you who say you study the emails from people you believe to be successful, I offer a warning...

        Study what they do over a period of time. Many of the most successful marketers are fanatical testers. That email you are studying because it came from Joe (or Jill) SuccessStory might just be the loser in a current test. In fact, it might be a complete flop.

        Copy the flop, and guess what you are likely to get?
        Good point! You should be looking at what others are doing, but you still have to test everything. You just can't assume that one approach will work for your list as it worked for others. And there's nothing wrong with taking a little inspiration and then trying something different.

        As for being marketed to... let me tell you a funny little story. The other day I got a call which I knew was going to be a boiler room by the number (they were likely using a ghost dialer). I picked up the phone and overheard the guy on the other end say: "Oh, here comes the mark!"

        DOH! Click!

        Perhaps a little off topic, but I thought it was kind of funny.

        Regards,
        jim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5322279].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
        Yes, I'd agree with John.

        And I guess that was my point. A huge swipe file of emails is not as valuable if you don't really know which ones were winners/losers. Sure, you can get some ideas for wording, but the genius of most marketers isn't really some magical wording they use in a one-off email.

        Besides, I'm kinda skeptical that people actually "study" those emails as much as they say they do.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5322292].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bretski
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        For those of you who say you study the emails from people you believe to be successful, I offer a warning...

        Study what they do over a period of time. Many of the most successful marketers are fanatical testers. That email you are studying because it came from Joe (or Jill) SuccessStory might just be the loser in a current test. In fact, it might be a complete flop.

        Copy the flop, and guess what you are likely to get?
        I watch out for the ones that MAKE ME want to open them. For me, that is the key.

        I actually sought out and got on lists of guys like Frank Kern and Willie Crawford just for this reason. Also, friend these guys on FB. Willie does a nice job on Facebook, I think! =))
        Signature
        ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
        Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5323863].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
    I hate being poorly marketed to as there is nothing more excruciating having my time wasted by a salesman who doesn't know what they are doing.

    -Chris
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5322299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I absolutely HATE cold callers, phone, email, or door-to-door solicitors. If I want something - I will be looking for it. If I initiate contact, then market to me, otherwise - back off. If I sign up for your emails and you overwhelm me, I will let you know - by unsubscribing. If I contact you about something you are marketing and you inundate me with bullsh*t instead of giving me facts, you will lose both a sale and my respect - and my willing acceptance of any further contact from you regarding anything you are selling.

    I know people need to get their products seen - and that they want to sell them to me, but there are so many people who completely ignore any reality in marketing to market to people that it gets just hard to be civil to some marketers. Is it really that hard to sell things without being a pain in someones patoot to do so?
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5322657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMHopeful
    I'm very tolerant of upselling in retail settings, because I know it's not personal (it's usually their boss making them do it.)

    Cold-calling is BS though. If I get put on every DNC available to my continent, I shouldn't have to worry about being harassed. Plus, if I can't see you, I won't trust you... period!

    Door-to-door sellers are cool, provided they aren't trying to sell me some $100 a bottle snake oil, and leave promptly if I don't show interest in their product/service.

    All of my thoughts change when a stranger asks me to sign up for CC's, or anything else that involves giving up crucial personal information.
    Signature

    Looking for new writers. PM me.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5322932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardnova
    If you live in a developed country, you are being marketed to for the majority of your awake time and some would even say a small portion of your sleep as well. It is unavoidable.

    That being said, I have actually hired several people who have cold called me over the years because I know a winner when I hear one. That however does not mean I enjoy being overly marketed to. A prime example is the amount of junk mail that ends up in my fireplace (which is what I now use it for primarily), its such a waste of natural resources that it amazes me that governments allow it in 2012. We should be printing books for the children instead of paper spam that I am tossing into the fire so that it gets used for something instead of costing us even more resources to try and collect and recycle.

    Originally Posted by Ryan David View Post

    You hear this a lot when people complain about being, in their eyes, "Over marketed" to. I'll be the first to admit it....I don't mind being marketed to as long as it's within the range in which I market to people. In other words, just because I use a telephone for my business, doesn't mean I'm open to getting calls from a boiler room that call my phone 5 times a day.

    When I first started out in sales, I had to make cold-calls. And the guy that trained me said "You'll never hang up on a cold-caller again, because now you know how it feels". And actually, I don't think I've ever NOT hung up on a cold-caller. I hated doing it, and I hated getting those calls.

    How bout you? Are you a completely tolerant marketer when it comes to other marketers?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5323146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author taikogrrl
    For me, I go thru phases where I sign up for someone's list, see their 'style' and techniques until I reach critical mass. Nothing gets me there faster than daily 'pitch' emails.

    Too many emails also equals too many distractions.

    J
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5323369].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeremiahSay
    Alternatively, have 1 email for all the opt-ins

    and have another for personal use.. There's no magic to it!

    Mix your personal with opt-ins and soon you'll be filled with lots of unwanted email and distractions.. bad bad idea!

    Jeremiah
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5323461].message }}

Trending Topics