I Just Defined My 2012 Goal... But Is It Possible?

37 replies
Hey, Happy New Year y'all!

I'm feeling really good right now. Better than I have in a good, long time. But whiskey and Xanax aside...

I've got a goal! A real-life goal! I have decided to focus on one thing and one thing only.

Just one website... all year long. (I'll still do my plr stuff on the side, but as far as affiliate marketing goes, just one website).

And here's the goal:

I will be earning a personal income of $500 per day, average, by this time next year, all from Amazon product sales.

Now here's the question:

Am I setting myself up for failure here?

Right now, I'm only earning $100 or so per month from Amazon. The niche I'm focused on (a macro-niche, not a micro-niche) includes products with price tags ranging from a few bucks to tens of thousands.

I've got about 12 hours a day to invest in this endeavor, and can work 7 days a week. IM is ALL I do. I can easily do product research, keyword research, product review, and some quality backlinking for one product a day, I believe.

Still, $500 per day is so much more than I've ever even come close to earning. It seems like such a HUGE, UNACHIEVABLE number to me.

... but it's inspiring as hell. And I'm willing to work incredibly hard to make it a reality.

But is it even possible? That's 15 grand a month, to put it into perspective.

It seems possible... but "TOO BIG" at the same time.

I graciously await your honest opinions.

Happy New Year!
#2012 #defined #goal
  • Profile picture of the author testwarrior
    sorry don't have an answer but curious to see responses on this one. good luck to you
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5340856].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Phillips
    If you are already earning $100/day with Amazon. Then all you have to do is 5x what you are doing now. You have a great 12 months ahead of you to achieve that. Just focus on what works and aim for that.

    As a side note, just be careful putting all of your eggs in one basket. I was earning a nice income stream from Amazon until my state laws changed and Amazon no longer supported affiliates from my state.

    Good luck!

    *EDIT* ... Sorry I thought your post said $100/day. I would focus on $15-$30 a day as a reasonable goal from where you are at now and then keep raising your goal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5340867].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
      Originally Posted by Richard Phillips View Post

      If you are already earning $100/day with Amazon. Then all you have to do is 5x what you are doing now. You have a great 12 months ahead of you to achieve that. Just focus on what works and aim for that.

      As a side note, just be careful putting all of your eggs in one basket. I was earning a nice income stream from Amazon until my state laws changed and Amazon no longer supported affiliates from my state.

      Good luck!
      Thanks Richard,

      But I'm not earning $100 per day. I'm earning $100 per month.

      That's like 3 bucks a day, so I need to multiply my results by about 150!

      But I haven't been working that hard at it. And everything I do put a little focus in seems to work. So if I just stop effin' around and start putting up a good-quality web page a day, it seems possible.

      As far as not putting all eggs in one basket, I've got that covered.

      A) I'm in Washington State and we don't have an income tax.

      B) I've also got tons of affiliate relationships with other top vendors in my niche that offer all the same products. A simple changing of my affiliate links is all it would take to transfer over to Commission Junction or some other network.

      Thanks again!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5340903].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kea55
      Originally Posted by Richard Phillips View Post

      If you are already earning $100/day with Amazon. Then all you have to do is 5x what you are doing now. You have a great 12 months ahead of you to achieve that. Just focus on what works and aim for that.

      As a side note, just be careful putting all of your eggs in one basket. I was earning a nice income stream from Amazon until my state laws changed and Amazon no longer supported affiliates from my state.

      Good luck!

      *EDIT* ... Sorry I thought your post said $100/day. I would focus on $15-$30 a day as a reasonable goal from where you are at now and then keep raising your goal.
      Do you live in the state of California? I thought the relationship between Amazon and California was reinstated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341066].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Phillips
    Sorry about that Lee! I must of had too much eggnog tonight. I edited the above post with a more realistic answer.

    See you successful very soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5340919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author arranrice
    If you work hard at it of course you can!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5340935].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zaco
    Hey Lee,

    I noticed you mentioned this in another post, I think it is possible..maybe I think it is possible because I am doing the same thing lol I replied to your post there and I said my goal was 5000 / monthly but I am actually expecting way more..but I don't want to get my hopes all up lol

    As I mentioned in that post, I want to review 1000+ products which is alot! the only issue I have is writing the reviews, I am not the best writer so this is the biggest issue I have, I have created my website and already built categories and made a nice looking website, " not the typical review site"

    I will go with this approach no matter what, I feel that the regular 5 pages sites or 20 pages will get slapped by Google since they do not provide a huge value, they are actually there to rank for a while then go down with the next Google Panda..

    I also do not believe in using the keyword in the domain, I feel so much people have abused it and Google is gonna teach them a lesson, it doesn't make any sense for a site with the keyword in it to rank high and provides minimum value, not sure if you think the same but I am going with a site like "whateverreview.com".

    I have already secured a really premium domain , almost 12 years old and I am ready to start but the writing thing is the biggest issue and since I want 1000+ reviews then that will cost me alot, the writers range is 7 - 10 $ for a review... thats like 7000$ minimum.. lol


    EDIT : Forgot to mention that alot of Warriors will tell you do not put your eggs in one basket, that is right but if you create 100 Amazon sites or mini sites then eventually Google is going to drop all of them and you lose the income.. unless you know how to do CPA and other IM methods then that would make you more secured but that will be alot of work, you need to focus on one site


    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5340956].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
      Thanks zaco!

      1000+ reviews should be able to generate a small fortune for you, my friend. My goal is one a day, which is obviously about 365 reviews.

      I may follow suit and outsource the reviews, but I am a writer by trade, and a bit of a control freak, truth be told.

      I bought into the whole exact match domain, micro niche site for a while, but found it just too hard to keep up with. Like really, what's the freakin' point?

      An analogy I like to use to support this is Squidoo. Do you think Squidoo generates their countless millions of dollars because millions of folks are typing in the keyword "squidoo" every month?

      Nope. It's the pages that rank, not the websites.

      I agree, authority sites is where it's at... and where it SHOULD be, in my opinion!

      Thanks for your comment!


      Ben,

      Thank you, too. I agree that keeping things achievable is the name of the game. It just seems to me that one review per day, every day for the next 365 days should produce better results than $100 per day... not that I'd mind makin' 3k per month in relatively passive fashion!

      I think I will re-state my goal at the end of the month, after I've done 30 reviews. We'll see how things are looking at that point and I will make the appropriate adjustment to my goal at that time.

      But I'm still REALLY liking the sound of that 5 hunnie a day, and I think with a "whatever it takes" mindset, I may just get there!

      Maybe I should blog about my progress?

      Thanks guys!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5340990].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zaco
        Originally Posted by Lee Murray View Post

        Thanks zaco!

        1000+ reviews should be able to generate a small fortune for you, my friend. My goal is one a day, which is obviously about 365 reviews.

        I may follow suit and outsource the reviews, but I am a writer by trade, and a bit of a control freak, truth be told.

        I bought into the whole exact match domain, micro niche site for a while, but found it just too hard to keep up with. Like really, what's the freakin' point?

        An analogy I like to use to support this is Squidoo. Do you think Squidoo generates their countless millions of dollars because millions of folks are typing in the keyword "squidoo" every month?

        Nope. It's the pages that rank, not the websites.

        I agree, authority sites is where it's at... and where it SHOULD be, in my opinion!

        Thanks for your comment!


        Ben,

        Thank you, too. I agree that keeping things achievable is the name of the game. It just seems to me that one review per day, every day for the next 365 days should produce better results than $100 per day... not that I'd mind makin' 3k per month in relatively passive fashion!

        I think I will re-state my goal at the end of the month, after I've done 30 reviews. We'll see how things are looking at that point and I will make the appropriate adjustment to my goal at that time.

        But I'm still REALLY liking the sound of that 5 hunnie a day, and I think with a "whatever it takes" mindset, I may just get there!

        Maybe I should blog about my progress?

        Thanks guys!
        You are Absolutely right, the domain doesn't matter! the page will be yourdomain/key-word so here you go! you cannot limit your self to one product, the key is to review a whole category but that's alot of work which I am trying to do, if we succeed in our sites, we should make a J venture hahaha unless we are working on the same niche.. we will become competitors haha

        Writing articles is overwhelming to me since my first language is not English and I just cannot write a nice review, I am trying tho.. outsourcing is very expensive too but that's the only option for now, I decided to use Joomla since I like it more than wordpress, just a personal preference..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341029].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
        Originally Posted by Lee Murray View Post

        Thanks zaco!

        1000+ reviews should be able to generate a small fortune for you, my friend. My goal is one a day, which is obviously about 365 reviews.

        I may follow suit and outsource the reviews, but I am a writer by trade, and a bit of a control freak, truth be told.

        I bought into the whole exact match domain, micro niche site for a while, but found it just too hard to keep up with. Like really, what's the freakin' point?

        An analogy I like to use to support this is Squidoo. Do you think Squidoo generates their countless millions of dollars because millions of folks are typing in the keyword "squidoo" every month?

        Nope. It's the pages that rank, not the websites.

        I agree, authority sites is where it's at... and where it SHOULD be, in my opinion!

        Thanks for your comment!


        Ben,

        Thank you, too. I agree that keeping things achievable is the name of the game. It just seems to me that one review per day, every day for the next 365 days should produce better results than $100 per day... not that I'd mind makin' 3k per month in relatively passive fashion!

        I think I will re-state my goal at the end of the month, after I've done 30 reviews. We'll see how things are looking at that point and I will make the appropriate adjustment to my goal at that time.

        But I'm still REALLY liking the sound of that 5 hunnie a day, and I think with a "whatever it takes" mindset, I may just get there!

        Maybe I should blog about my progress?

        Thanks guys!
        I agree with your thoughts. See how well your results are increasing and then set a realistic goal that you think you could ahieve. I can't ague that 1 review per day will get you great results but I do believe that it's still a very difficult goal to achieve from my past experiences. Also take seo and other factors into account. Sorry for the short message, I'm writing this from my iPod.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5344417].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by zaco View Post

      EDIT : Forgot to mention that alot of Warriors will tell you do not put your eggs in one basket, that is right but if you create 100 Amazon sites or mini sites then eventually Google is going to drop all of them and you lose the income.. unless you know how to do CPA and other IM methods then that would make you more secured but that will be alot of work, you need to focus on one site


      Thanks
      Why will google drop them all? If you're doing that volume, you have them on different IPs with privacy so I don't understand your point? Focusing on ONE site is exactly what people mean by not putting your eggs in one basket. Its just like investing, you diversify your investments. It is safe and if you do this full time and rely on this income then its something that needs to be done.

      To the OP... I'm not a fan of telling people what they can and can't do. I'm also not a fan of giving false hope, or cutting down on someones dreams. However, I think if you're doing 100/mo right now then you shouldn't be focusing on $500 a day, but scaling up your monthly income.

      You can't do 15,000 a month without first doing 1,000... and 5,000... I think the first thing you need to do is focus on doing $1,000/mo. You're doing 100 now, so you need to improve it by 1,000%. That is difficult to accomplish, but something more likely than you improving by 15,000%. If you get up to 1,000/mo then you already have improved by 1,000% so doing it again wouldn't be that hard right?

      It is better to set goals you can accomplish and then reset the goals.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341089].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zaco
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        Why will google drop them all? If you're doing that volume, you have them on different IPs with privacy so I don't understand your point? Focusing on ONE site is exactly what people mean by not putting your eggs in one basket. Its just like investing, you diversify your investments. It is safe and if you do this full time and rely on this income then its something that needs to be done.
        IMO if people create mini sites

        1) the site will have 5/10/20/30 pages ? with affiliate links? that doesn't sound right, maybe now it does but within the next few changes I think they will take down the affiliate mini sites

        2) if you focus on 10 sites then you won't give alot of quality and you won't have alot of pages and fresh content so basically you are creating small hubs which might get hit anytime

        3) I agree that having one site is putting your eggs in one basket but having so many mini sites with few pages is the same, one Google Panda can take you out of the business because u r not providing quality, but if you have a real website that provides unique content and you always update it then the odds are less to get hit,

        I know its not about quantity but my idea is the sites with few pages wont survive, what type of sites provides good content and it has few pages?

        Zaco
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341137].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jamesvick
          Originally Posted by zaco View Post

          IMO if people create mini sites

          1) the site will have 5/10/20/30 pages ? with affiliate links? that doesn't sound right, maybe now it does but within the next few changes I think they will take down the affiliate mini sites

          2) if you focus on 10 sites then you won't give alot of quality and you won't have alot of pages and fresh content so basically you are creating small hubs which might get hit anytime

          3) I agree that having one site is putting your eggs in one basket but having so many mini sites with few pages is the same, one Google Panda can take you out of the business because u r not providing quality, but if you have a real website that provides unique content and you always update it then the odds are less to get hit,

          I know its not about quantity but my idea is the sites with few pages wont survive, what type of sites provides good content and it has few pages?

          Zaco
          +1 to this guy. post panda world has been very difficult with affiliate websites. If you create micro sites, you will sooner or later see all of them see gone. Google hates 5-6 page websites. And you lose eggs when you create only an affiliate website. What i mean by an authority website :

          1) when you see a product on amazon - Create a how-to or information page about the product. Then create a video page on that product. Write few reviews (yourself ) on a different page. This way you get atleast 3 pages per product and then you have an affiliate link on one page only.

          When googlebot visits this website, it won't see it as an affiliate website rather as an affiliate website. Remember no-one hates money making website. All google wants is content which you have to give it to them. Don't build a thin site.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
    Even though it is quite inspiring, I think you should set a smaller goal. If you were earning $100 per day, earning $1,000 per day at the end of the year would be an achievable goal. Why? Because once you start earning a lot of money, it's usually not as complicated to increase that income drastically. But, as mentioned, the fact that you're only earning about $3 per day makes that goal really difficult to reach. I'm definitely not stating that it's impossible to achieve, but definitely something along the lines of 'miracle'. A more realistic goal of $100 per day is probably what I would aim for. Next year, perhaps, aim for $500 - $1,000 per day or more, depending on the results you achieve this year. Remember that everything takes time; nothing happens instantly, but large goals are still definitely possible to achieve.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5340973].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Phillips
    If it is ... I will be a VERY HAPPY MAN!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341078].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WikiWarrior
      Well you have a whole year to get there so it's definitely possible considering the time you have available to invest. I think $500 is quite an arbitrary goal though when you're currently making $100 a month with Amazon. How about setting a goal of $100 a day instead, which is much more achievable and realisitic, whilst still being an exciting $ goal to work towards.

      Then once you reach $100 a day you can revise your target and be in a much better position to see with some degree of clarity what it would take to increase that to $500 a day. At $100 a day, for example, you will know your conversions, traffic, cost of acquisition etc and the process will become one of scaling which should be easier in theory than getting things to work in the first place.

      Best wishes,
      Toby
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Phillips
    I just re-inrolled. However, I am concerned that this may only last a year from what I've seen in the news.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341093].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimboJim
    If you really keep at it, and use those 12 hours wisely, then yes, I think you can. I saw a few people saying that you should set a more reasonable goal, but I thinking shooting high will really help.

    Just keep working, and I'm sure you can do it.
    Signature
    Ready for some great content at a low cost?
    PresentPLR Newest Pack: LED Grow Lights
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesvick
    hey with a good luck i want to ask few questions :

    1) How are you getting traffic ?
    2) Ever thought of going for other monetizations like clickbank and paydotcom?

    I ask 1 because then it is easy to multiply. Even if you are able to add $800-1500 per month, you might make an incredible payment by the end. But then you will have to create an authority website in which as soon as you create a listing, it appears on search engine.

    I say CB and paydotcom because if you can get traffic through SE to their products also you might bank more. Also when you add diversified products the website might get little more notice.

    A little tip :

    1) Amazon is well known for programming and other ebooks. As soon as a new product is added, you create a web-page for it with complete on-page SEO. Join ALN and submit an article to that product. This will get backlinks to each page and hence makes it authority.

    2) Second idea can be to create a listing for top products of amazon (weekly rather than daily - if available*) and optimize it.

    Amazon is a great market and you can bank hard but time required to start getting traffic (without PPC) is little troublesome.

    And also do not deviate from the plan if you don't see results for 2-3 months. Never ever give up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rusty1027
    If you only earn $100 a month and IM is all you do... do you have a trust fund or something? Otherwise wouldn't it be tough to live on $1,200 a year?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341135].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
      Ah, touche Rusty!

      No sir, $100 per month is all I make ON AMAZON!

      I also do Clickbank, MarketHealth, CJ, Adsense, and run my own PLR store.

      But I just want to focus on one thing in '12, because I believe that by doing so, my time will have been better spent and my results more profound.

      I've chosen Amazon because from my own experience, it's the easiest, fastest, and most reliable business model. I've haphazardly thrown up a few Squidoo lenses where I'm promoting a whopping total of 5 products (4 low price point, 1 very high)... and I made $156 in December, almost 100% passively.

      I figured that if I could have this type of success with just 5 products being promoted via Squidoo, then what if I have 365 products (with a greater range of price points) being promoted on my own authority site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve McBride
    Don't ask yourself if something is possible. You're letting doubt enter your mind. Simply deny doubt, accept that you WILL be making that by the end of the year and do it. If you doubt yourself from the beginning you are giving power to that doubt and that will only hurt your efforts. Make sense? Imagine if someone asked you how they can make $500 a day in affiliate sells. What would you tell them to do? Once you know what to tell them, then you know what you have to do. Just remember that there is no such thing as failure. There are only results. In a given day you're either succeeding, or figuring out another way that it doesn't work. Either way it's progress towards your goal. I honestly think you should shorten your timeline to six months from now than a year. A shorter timeline to meet your goal can be some amazing motivation. Especially if you're anything like me and tend to work better under pressure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341203].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
      Originally Posted by Steve McBride View Post

      Don't ask yourself if something is possible. You're letting doubt enter your mind. Simply deny doubt, accept that you WILL be making that by the end of the year and do it. If you doubt yourself from the beginning you are giving power to that doubt and that will only hurt your efforts. Make sense?
      Yup. Thanks a bunch Steve. What the hell am I still doing playing on the Warrior Forum? I've got sh... umm, stuff to do!

      Gracias, peeps!

      Happy New Year.

      Ah... blog. $500 A Day From Amazon In One Year?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341219].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LBspeaks
    The goal is doable... But I am not sure about the business model.

    It might happen if you constantly educate yourself and see what works by experimentation.

    No one can really tell you if it's going to happen, but I will say it is doable... and if you had the right education and implementation strategy, quite easy too.

    LB
    Signature

    Lokesh Batra- The Man Who Serves...

    I am new to the online world of forums and social media... but I have spent the last 7 years of my life talking to business owners all over the world, and helping them generate extra profits. And I can show you how to do the same... Get the Review Copies of My $497 Ignitional Program Here...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341484].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author richjr72
    Anything is possible.

    Your only limitation, is your imagination.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webskipper
    I believe believing in unforeseen as if it is alredy happening is the only way to make it happen. Last year I achieved a 6 figure income by doing this (sticking with one thing). As you said it did seem very challenging when got the idea but I kept believing in it and things started to come together in about 4 months.

    One thing I did was to do my best to enjoy what I do and get excited by the day I achieve the goal.

    Believe and take action.

    Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author r0ny
    so you are getting 100$ per month with amazon,and i don't think you are working 24x7 on it to achieve that 100$ ,i would say you work like 3 hours/day ,create 3 other accounts,and do the same thing and you will get 400$ per month straight up ,involve 2 of your family members to work with you (mom and dad ) ,they will learn the tricks of the trade very fast ,so that will increase the income to,1200 per month ,what i said might sounds like funny,but there are some things hidden in my post where you can think of ,good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rich Struck
    Go buy a copy of The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz. It will help you a lot.

    The commission at Amazon is awfully low but if you are comfortable with that and you want to master being an Amazon affiliate then do it.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Hi Lee

    Firstly, I am glad to hear you have had the courage to set a goal that is way out of your comfort zone - that's a great start. Now as to achieving it, you will have to find (or create) the way. If it is there, you won't be able to see it and indeed, it could take you considerably time and effort to uncover it or possibly, to create it.

    With regard to scaling your effort, that is a possibility as some others have already pointed out. It is relatively easy to find out if the answer is in that method - it's simple maths. Take the amount of effort (in hours) required to make your $3 per day and work out how much you are making per hour of effort expended. Then multiply that figure by the hours you are prepared to work. And there's your answer to whether or not you can achieve your goal by scaling your own effort.

    If it turns out that you need more effort that you can possibly put in, you can work out how much is required, in terms of reviews, and then work out the shortfall between your own available effort and the required effort. You will then know how many reviews you need to outsource to make scaling work. Once you know that figure, you can work out if it makes economic sense to outsource them.

    However, it may be possible for you to find another way. One that you don't yet know and therefore cannot plan for. You may find the following article helpful in this respect ...

    Making a Quantum Leap

    So, good luck to you, my friend. You have taken the first step. It is now up to you to find the way or create it.

    Best wishes,

    Will
    Signature
    Money-Making Rebrandable Books - Free for a Limited Period!

    Click Here to Get Yours
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
    Thank you Will. That was brilliant, sir.

    Thanks to everyone else for all the encouragement, wisdom, and questions.

    For some reason, I no longer have a "Thank You" button at the moment, or else I'd be using the hell out of it.

    But thanks again.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5342105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulpower
    If you shoot for the moon and reach the stars, then you will be successful.

    In other words, start at the top, and you can drop, however if you start at the bottom, then your results will be rotten. Belief is the key.

    You will achieve your goal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5342328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iThinkhard
    everything is possible! but going from 3$ a day to 500$ a day is insane.
    why don't you try to double your income instead and shoot for 6$ a day, then 12$, 24$...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5344039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author julianna
    good Luck to you... focusing on 1 thing may very well be the answer!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5344045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by Lee Murray View Post

    Hey, Happy New Year y'all!

    I'm feeling really good right now. Better than I have in a good, long time. But whiskey and Xanax aside...

    I've got a goal! A real-life goal! I have decided to focus on one thing and one thing only.

    Just one website... all year long. (I'll still do my plr stuff on the side, but as far as affiliate marketing goes, just one website).

    And here's the goal:

    I will be earning a personal income of $500 per day, average, by this time next year, all from Amazon product sales.

    Now here's the question:

    Am I setting myself up for failure here?

    Right now, I'm only earning $100 or so per month from Amazon. The niche I'm focused on (a macro-niche, not a micro-niche) includes products with price tags ranging from a few bucks to tens of thousands.

    I've got about 12 hours a day to invest in this endeavor, and can work 7 days a week. IM is ALL I do. I can easily do product research, keyword research, product review, and some quality backlinking for one product a day, I believe.

    Still, $500 per day is so much more than I've ever even come close to earning. It seems like such a HUGE, UNACHIEVABLE number to me.

    ... but it's inspiring as hell. And I'm willing to work incredibly hard to make it a reality.

    But is it even possible? That's 15 grand a month, to put it into perspective.

    It seems possible... but "TOO BIG" at the same time.

    I graciously await your honest opinions.

    Happy New Year!
    I think it's a possible goal. But like you stated in your OP, it seems "too big" right now because you're at $100 per month right now.

    While it's great to have a goal, it's also more effective if you start off with a more realistic goal. I'm not talking about realistic in terms of what is possible, I'm talking about being realistic in the context of what's attainable for you and your specific circumstances.

    I would change your goal to something like:

    To attain $1,000 per month by March 31.

    What's great about having a smaller goal is that it makes it much more believable to your sub-conscious. This is why it's so critical for people to make their first sale because once they see that first sale, they know it's possible.

    Set a goal of $1,000 per month OR X amount of sales per month by March 31st. Make sure you write it down and review it daily (I have my goals written down on 3 x 5 index cards and review them daily, it's a tool that I will never stop doing until the day I die).

    Then when March 1st comes around, you'll be able to modify your one year goal accordingly. The key is to break down your goals into smaller goals with an action plan after each one, otherwise your goal is meaningless.

    Lastly, most people overestimate what they can accomplish in one year but usually underestimate what they can accomplish in 5 years. Setting smaller goals like these and reviewing them daily allows you to get enough feedback so you can tweak your goals as needed.

    Goals do not have to be written in stone, though they should be written down somewhere when you can see them frequently.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5345171].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
    Thanks again, everyone!

    Here's how I've broken it down.

    $500 PER DAY IN AMAZON COMMISSIONS BY 12/31/12
    $250 PER DAY IN AMAZON COMMISSIONS BY MY BIRTHDAY << JUNE 23, 2012
    $100 PER DAY IN AMAZON COMMISSIONS BY APRIL 30, 2012
    $50 PER DAY IN AMAZON COMMISSIONS BY FEBRUARY 28, 2012

    I've also determined that I can do two reviews per day, since each one takes me approx. 2-3 hours to research and write. I'm very thorough.

    Then with another 3 hours spent doing some quality backlinking... per review... so 6 hours total on off-page SEO... I don't think this is too far out of the question.

    The quote that keeps coming to mind actually comes from PotPie Girl... "If you're willing to do for a year what others won't, you can spend a lifetime doing what others can't." Or somethin' like that.

    Me likey.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5345255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cooler1
    Good luck on your goal. It takes a lot of patience and pesistance to do well with Amazon. It definatly seems a big challenge especially if you don't outsource. I've been promoting Amazon for over a year and the most i've earned in 1 day is about $330.

    365 reviews maybe enough to achieve that goal. Although likely not all of them will rank highly due to various factors and some products will no longer be available after a number of months, etc.. which will peg things back.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5345336].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
      Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

      Good luck on your goal. It takes a lot of patience and pesistance to do well with Amazon. It definatly seems a big challenge especially if you don't outsource. I've been promoting Amazon for over a year and the most i've earned in 1 day is about $330.

      365 reviews maybe enough to achieve that goal. Although likely not all of them will rank highly due to various factors and some products will no longer be available after a number of months, etc.. which will peg things back.
      Thanks. Yes, I'm sure you're right about not all of them sticking. I'm sorta operating from the assumption that with long-tail traffic, quality reviews, and an unbelievable amount of volume, enough will "stick" to help me reach my goal.

      I will also alter my approach along the way, so that if it looks impossible to reach my milestones without outsourcing... then I'll outsource.

      Whatever it takes...

      Thanks again and very nicely done on your $330 day. Much success to you, my friend!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5345624].message }}

Trending Topics