Why do people assume the WF is a general helpdesk?

by UMS
28 replies
What is it that makes people come to the WF for help rather than the appropriate source.

For example, there's plenty of threads along the lines of:

"Help, my site was hacked"

"I deleted my site, how do I restore it"

"My hosting account has been locked"

etc, etc.

In particular, it amazes me that people would come here to get help with a hacked site or webserver being down, when the quickest and most appropriate avenue to contact would be their web hosting provider.

In a lot of instances, they could have their problem resolved quicker than what it takes to create a post on the WF and wait for people to suggest that their hosting provider should help them.
#assume #general #helpdesk #people
  • Profile picture of the author tomcam
    I think it's an indication that the poster is comfortable at WF and trusts its inhabitants. This kind of behavior seems to be common in every messageboard with enthusiastic participants. But you're right, it can be eyebrow-raising. When I see people asking for investment advice on Reddit I want to shake them by the scruff of their neck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brendan Vraibel
    The legal issues are what I really can't comprehend. If someone is taking legal action against you, I'm not so sure that an IM forum is the best place to seek help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355247].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Targeted Traffic
      Originally Posted by Brendan Vraibel View Post

      The legal issues are what I really can't comprehend. If someone is taking legal action against you, I'm not so sure that an IM forum is the best place to seek help.
      I agree...I keep finding myself the same answer...'talk to an internet lawyer'

      On the other hand I guess one thing is that a legal consultation would cause you charges on an hourly rate...so they might come here and ask and in a way get an idea of how serious their case is....then its time to contact a lawyer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
    The support forum section of the WF can be a great spot to get answers quickly.

    I've some times posted my question there while I felt inpatient waiting for the official support response.

    Warrior Support Forums

    But I agree that those type of questions do not belong in the main forum which is where were we talk about making money!

    Rant threads like yours don't really belong in the main forum either, that's why they have an "off topic" forum here.

    The Off Topic Forum

    But most eyeballs are on the "main forum" which is why people don't bother posting in the right forum sections.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crystalq
    Are you guys serious? that's how this forum was first marketed back in the day. Almost every ebook from "06" to around "09" pretty much said "if you need help go to the Warrior Forum" lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355743].message }}
    • Originally Posted by crystalq View Post

      Almost every ebook from "06" to around "09" pretty much said "if you need help go to the Warrior Forum" lol
      If you need *MARKETING* help, not *TECH SUPPORT* help. This is a discussion board, not a tech-support ticket system.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crystalq
    regardless of that fact, there are tech savvy people here who might be able
    to help. Why not ask questions? There are no rules against it.

    Its not like they post...
    "OMG Fix my website NOW Warrior Forum People"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356002].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
      Originally Posted by crystalq View Post

      Its not like they post...
      "OMG Fix my website NOW Warrior Forum People"
      Actually, they do

      And part of the blame should go to ourselves... because we answer those "questions".
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403865].message }}
  • Because the marketing discussion (which is the main point of this forum) gets clogged with tech-support questions that simply don't belong here.

    I repeat: this is an Internet Marketing forum, not a Technical Support forum. If you have a Wordpress-related tech-support problem... well, guess what? go to the Wordpress forums to find a solution instead of clogging the Warrior Forum!!! What's so difficult to understand about that?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356013].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Because the marketing discussion (which is the main point of this forum) gets clogged with tech-support questions that simply don't belong here.

      I repeat: this is an Internet Marketing forum, not a Technical Support forum. If you have a Wordpress-related tech-support problem... well, guess what? go to the Wordpress forums to find a solution instead of clogging the Warrior Forum!!! What's so difficult to understand about that?
      Taking your example of WP problems, I once
      took that flight. Unfortunately, the plane
      crash-landed!

      My site got hacked, and I posted for help in
      WP.org forum and till now not even 1 reply
      has been made to it (it's well over 1.5 years
      old).

      But when I made a thread here, within days,
      I was able to find the right solution and even
      traced the hacker because of the support of
      the members!

      Just my 2 cents.

      Karan
      Signature
      Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
      Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
      ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
      karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356062].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author UMS
        Originally Posted by Karan Goel View Post

        My site got hacked, and I posted for help in
        WP.org forum and till now not even 1 reply
        has been made to it (it's well over 1.5 years
        old).

        But when I made a thread here, within days,
        I was able to find the right solution and even
        traced the hacker because of the support of
        the members!
        Just curious. Did you contact your web hosting provider and if so, did they help you?

        Perhaps I just have unrealistic expectations of support levels from web hosting providers as I have accounts with Hostgator and Bluehost and their support (HG in particular) is usually very, very good and for HG, they have been proactive in solving an issue where one of my email accounts was hacked (wouldn't have known unless HG contacted me).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356087].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
          Originally Posted by UMS View Post

          Just curious. Did you contact your web hosting provider and if so, did they help you?

          Perhaps I just have unrealistic expectations of support levels from web hosting providers as I have accounts with Hostgator and Bluehost and their support (HG in particular) is usually very, very good and for HG, they have been proactive in solving an issue where one of my email accounts was hacked (wouldn't have known unless HG contacted me).
          That was the first thing I did. They ran a
          virus scan and told that nothing is infected,
          might be a WP plugin, upload a backup copy.

          They helped me recover my site for sure, but
          were unable to track the loophole. WF helped me
          in that!

          Karan
          Signature
          Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
          Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
          ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
          karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356141].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Joseph G Spiteri
            I think most people who post these types of question are mostly newbies. And because they are new to all this when something happens there first thought is the WF. When if they went first to the source there problem would get solve a lot quicker.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356278].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
            Mike,
            I suspect some of it is done to draw attention the product owner to "Force" some kind of faster response.
            That is an excellent way to find ones' self in receipt of one of our handy (and FREEEEEE!!!!) vacation certificates.

            Crystal,
            Are you guys serious? that's how this forum was first marketed back in the day. Almost every ebook from "06" to around "09"
            Those of us who've been around for a while consider 2006 to be the start of our "Endless September."

            Keep in mind that the site was "marketed" that way by people who had no stake in its success. They were just looking for something to say to make themselves sound good. Unless they used the proper qualifiers first, of course. Like, "If all else fails." Not "As your first effort."
            Its not like they post...
            "OMG Fix my website NOW Warrior Forum People"
            It often sounds rather a lot like that, actually.


            Paul
            Signature
            .
            Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356298].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ralph Moore
          Originally Posted by UMS View Post


          Perhaps I just have unrealistic expectations of support levels from web hosting providers as I have accounts with Hostgator and Bluehost and their support (HG in particular) is usually very, very good and for HG, they have been proactive in solving an issue where one of my email accounts was hacked (wouldn't have known unless HG contacted me).
          Yeah, I'm getting spoiled by Hostgator too. I recently asked a well-known provider (let's just say the initials are DH) where I have a few domains to turn on SOAP as it was needed for a plugin.

          Their "support" was to tell me to install a new php.ini file.

          Excuse me? It was a whole lot easier to just clone the site and move it over to the gator.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356273].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Karan Goel View Post

        Taking your example of WP problems, I once
        took that flight. Unfortunately, the plane
        crash-landed!

        My site got hacked, and I posted for help in
        WP.org forum and till now not even 1 reply
        has been made to it (it's well over 1.5 years
        old).

        But when I made a thread here, within days,
        I was able to find the right solution and even
        traced the hacker because of the support of
        the members!

        Just my 2 cents.

        Karan

        I agree. Wordpress questions are frequently answered here by Wordpress experts and I doubt that you will get real and fast support at the Wordpress forums.

        I don't however, understand the Warrior Plus, Hostgator/hosting, specific product that has a help desk of their own questions. It's obvious ... go to the source.

        Your Paypal account is locked? Here, let me unlock it for you. Your hostgator account has been hacked? I'll unhack it for you. Amazon banned for TOS violation? I'll write them a nasty letter and get that fixed. Clickbank won't approve your product? Those ba*tards! I'll take care of it. Warrior Plus just blew up and isn't working? All fixed. Feel better now?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403790].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
          Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

          I agree. Wordpress questions are frequently answered here by Wordpress experts and I doubt that you will get real and fast support at the Wordpress forums.

          I don't however, understand the Warrior Plus, Hostgator/hosting, specific product that has a help desk of their own questions. It's obvious ... go to the source.

          Your Paypal account is locked? Here, let me unlock it for you. Your hostgator account has been hacked? I'll unhack it for you. Amazon banned for TOS violation? I'll write them a nasty letter and get that fixed. Clickbank won't approve your product? Those ba*tards! I'll take care of it. Warrior Plus just blew up and isn't working? All fixed. Feel better now?
          Well absolutely. Even questions related to using
          a software or something. They say "I paid $xx
          and it's not working. What should I do?". And I
          say, "Either pay me $xx to fix it, or ask the support
          team for help.".

          Karan
          Signature
          Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
          Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
          ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
          karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author warriorkay
    .
    Because it's the helpdesk with HUNDREDS of WARRIORS almost
    every minute of the day, who can help,

    Kingsley


    .
    Signature
    Kingged.com Coaching and Partnership Program
    Is The ONLY Coaching Program That Does 99% Of The Work
    TO MAKE MONEY FOR STUDENTS FROM 1ST DAY
    So they EARN while they LEARN

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356080].message }}
  • I don't mind simple questions. Sometimes it feels good helping someone out.

    I agree with the asking help for legal issues. That's just weird. People probably just want to be comforted that nothing bad is going to happen.

    Same goes for: Q: Does this technique work? A: You only know by trying.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356315].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author subten101
      I think its just about how big the forum is and how much people are practically online at any given time during the day, so I assume by this fact that they usually think they will get a quicker response.
      Signature
      Ever Wonder Why The Top 3% Of Online Marketers Make More Than The Other 97% Combined! >>>>>www.easycashwebinarsystem.com<<<<<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356359].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    I think people just come here because of the high level of expertise amongst the members of this forum. This site has the highest concentration of internet marketing gurus anywhere on the site, and people assume that others on this site are/have once been in their shoes. I do think, however, that discussing certain issues on here is completely uncalled for, and it would be much easier just dealing with them at the source of the problem for a much faster solution.
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356420].message }}
  • I think this forum give a Magic Touch to their site and it will get fine automatically....
    Signature

    Feel free to contact with me @ seoglobalexpert004@gmail.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imwithimran
    I believe Warrior Forum is meant for beginners in IM, learning, sharing, caring, Its a trust among the fellow warriors they believe the people here are from around the globe each are expert in their own field which is cent percent true. I verdict that fellow warriors should go with the tag line of WF The #1 Internet Marketing Forum. They should weave their question around the Internet Marketing world which will make the warriors more active or attentive at WF
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402466].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Wow, that forum name has a familiar ring. And you learned all that about the WF just today?
      Signature

      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.
      It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimMichael
    I think it is thought of as a general helpdesk as, everyday, we all see some very genuine and highly skilled experts giving great advice to others.

    Personally, I see it both ways.

    I do ask for advice here, but I'll gladly dish it out to people also, if needed. I've spent many an hour editing work or adivising WF members for free via the telephone and Skype.

    I see it as a good deed to help others who have questions in areas my skills reside in.

    Karma, and all that. If all I saw were dollar signs every time someone asked a question or wanted help in my sector, I'd not be running my business with the 'feel good factor' I enjoy every day.
    Signature

    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
    Why do people assume that the Main Internet Marketing Discussion Forum is a place to complain about the behavior of members of the Warrior Forum?
    Signature

    :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403984].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeremiahSay
    It's a habit and culture .. 4 - 5 years back, everyone is recommending their clients, affiliates, web-visitors whoever to come to WF to seek help, legal advises etc.. so naturally there will be people asking for help and advises in this forum Not a big surprise..

    may God bless you,
    Jeremiah
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5404024].message }}

Trending Topics