129 replies
Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
#job #real
  • Profile picture of the author Gaz Cooper
    Why Bother ?

    If your making money online, focus your efforts on doing more of what you are doing and less worrying about what others think.

    Its not productive

    Kickin it on Amazon

    Gaz Cooper
    Amz Training Academy
    Signature
    Beginners get Started with AMAZON, we will give you a FREE custom made Amazon Site when you purchase hosting through us contact us at http://authorityzonesupport.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416229].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tech19
      Originally Posted by GazCooperOnline View Post

      Why Bother ?

      If your making money online, focus your efforts on doing more of what you are doing and less worrying about what others think.

      Its not productive

      Kickin it on Amazon

      Gaz Cooper
      Amz Training Academy
      I couldn't agree with this more. All that matters is that you are having success, and I'm sure deep down they are envious. Just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about what people say. No matter what you do there will always be haters.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    Perhaps because most individuals who try to be successful in it, are not.

    Like myself.

    I have little successes, but over-all, more failures than success.

    But I go on...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416234].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Gaz Cooper
      Originally Posted by Michael55555 View Post

      Perhaps because most individuals who try to be successful in it, are not.

      Like myself.

      I have little successes, but over-all, more failures than success.

      But I go on...
      Failure is just one step closer to success

      Keep failing, and learning from those failures and you will be become successful, the only reason more people are not successful is simple, they give up.

      NEVER GIVE UP

      Looks like you will get there, because you are ploughing thorough those challenges and taking steps in the right direction.

      Kudos to you

      Kickin it on Amazon

      Gaz Cooper
      Amz Training Academy
      Signature
      Beginners get Started with AMAZON, we will give you a FREE custom made Amazon Site when you purchase hosting through us contact us at http://authorityzonesupport.com/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author edmltw
    Well, just buy that Lamborghini and they will shut up. Lol.
    Signature

    Need A Easy, Drag and Drop Website Creation Platform?
    Click Here To Find Out More

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416246].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
      Originally Posted by edmltw View Post

      Well, just buy that Lamborghini and they will shut up. Lol.


      Lolololololol. True that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416261].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nickdamodda
      Originally Posted by edmltw View Post

      Well, just buy that Lamborghini and they will shut up. Lol.
      Lol, going to wait a few years for that one, only 16 Would rather spend that money on media buys and wait until I have loads, but that's if I had that much. But I have nicer things than all teens that I know, I just moved and now everybody thinks im a huge drug dealer, or a son of a celeb. Starting to make me mad :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416294].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CreativeFlair
        Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

        Lol, going to wait a few years for that one, only 16 Would rather spend that money on media buys and wait until I have loads, but that's if I had that much. But I have nicer things than all teens that I know, I just moved and now everybody thinks im a huge drug dealer, or a son of a celeb. Starting to make me mad :p
        Once you are older, you won't give a **** what people think and your life will be that much better for it

        It took me a few years, but I learned that if I meet my own expectations (which are higher than most people's anyway) then I'm happy I'm too busy to care what people think.
        Signature

        Professional SEO, blogger and social media expert | Personal site: Blossom.nu

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500966].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesburchill
      Originally Posted by edmltw View Post

      Well, just buy that Lamborghini and they will shut up. Lol.
      Sadly not true ... specially if they're family. I didn't buy a Lambo but a top end Japanese sports car (154MPH ... damn it was fast!) anyway, the day I drove that beast home and parked it on the drive (figuring the ribbing and teasing would end) it just carried on ... expensive car be damned!

      Bottom line, nuts to naysayers. I've been dodging the "real job" for 12 years now. I do well enough thank you and not to brag, but many of the naysayers have fallen on hard times and guess who they turned to for help? Uhuh ...

      So do what you will and remember, "that which you focus on grows." Better to set your sights on finding people that nurture you and support your dreams ... like many of the folks in this forum.

      Happy Friday
      Signature
      James Burchill ~ Bestselling Author & Coursepreneur
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5501172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Miguelito203
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.
    They are just haters. Don't let them get you down. In fact, you should really be smiling on the inside. They wouldn't be hating on you unless they were jealous of what you have accomplished. Also, a whole lot of people just don't get the whole "make money online" thing and believe the only way to make it in this world is to go to school, get a job, and work until they die -- never accomplishing their hopes and dreams. American society has brainwashed us in that sense.

    Joey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416262].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nickdamodda
      Originally Posted by Miguelito203 View Post

      They are just haters. Don't let them get you down. In fact, you should really be smiling on the inside. They wouldn't be hating on you unless they were jealous of what you have accomplished. Also, a whole lot of people just don't get the whole "make money online" thing and believe the only way to make it in this world is to go to school, get a job, and work until they die -- never accomplishing their hopes and dreams. American society has brainwashed us in that sense.

      Joey
      My parents wanted me to do the same thing, I'm not going to say no, but I'm making a lot more on IM then I would be doing any other job that I would do after college. I agree completely.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JerrickYeoh
    there is because someone think that Internet Marketing may not a full time job. Someone can earn lot of money as a internet marketer, some do think that anyone can work as internet marketer.
    But don't look down on internet marketing because the knowledge and skill not everyone know even you are one of the web designer or web developer.


    I have to said that the more time you spend on it , you will get even faster and better result from your hardwork.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416277].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JerrickYeoh
    there is because someone think that Internet Marketing may not a full time job. Someone can earn lot of money as a internet marketer, some do think that anyone can work as internet marketer.
    But don't look down on internet marketing because the knowledge and skill not everyone know even you are one of the web designer or web developer.


    I have to said that the more time you spend on it , you will get even faster and better result from your hardwork.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416282].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author James Sides
      Let me just keep this on point; envy.

      I have family who make 200k a year plus and when they see me surpassing them while working in my PJs its a tough pill for these folks to swallow. Many of them went to school for years to earn less than I make without any formal education at all.

      This is why I always tell folks I am into software development and leave the whole IM part out. Its much easier than way.

      Cheers,

      James
      Signature

      "People will remain the same until the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xxxJamesxxx
    Let them say what they want... End of the day you're banking it harder than any of your friends and deep down they know that and most likely don't like it.

    James Scholes
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NickWatson
    It's because they are 100% CORRECT!!!

    IM is NOT a REAL job...it's a REAL BUSINESS and a freaking profitable one at that!

    When someone asks me what i do...i tell them I run an online marketing and publishing business...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416301].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by NickWatson View Post

      It's because they are 100% CORRECT!!!

      IM is NOT a REAL job...it's a REAL BUSINESS and a freaking profitable one at that!

      When someone asks me what i do...i tell them I run an online marketing and publishing business...
      You took the words out of my mouth.

      There's a significant difference between a job and a business.

      Technically, you could work a job for free...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author itrepreneur
      I find IM more of a passionate interest than a job. I don't earn a lot from it all yet but my target of $300 a day still stands and I know I will achieve this. I'm not sure when but it will happen. I am a property investor and haven't had a "real" job for years, so when people ask me "what do you do for a job?" I usually just keep things vague to keep it simple... A lot of people just don't understand it when you don't get a weekly wage. I haven't been paid for years!!!
      Keep up the good work, and if you have any tips to help me meet my target, let me know!
      Signature

      I'm a keen marketer/ web designer/ learner!
      My latest site - http://cheap-plr-articles.com/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500419].message }}
    • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5501007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    The money that hits my bank account seems to be real enough.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    They are right...

    IM is NOT a job... It is a business and a lifestyle...

    Most people who own a job will never understand people who don't own jobs...

    That is just the way it always has been, is now, and always will be...
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416527].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author superzjn
      If you can make enough money then it is a real job for you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416535].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

      They are right...

      IM is NOT a job... It is a business and a lifestyle...

      Most people who own a job will never understand people who don't own jobs...

      That is just the way it always has been, is now, and always will be...
      This is exactly what I have in mind. It's a business, plain and simple. You are your own boss so you need to manage yourself and your business effectively and efficiently.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AngelaLuo
    why not? Im is definitely a real job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DigitalBusker
    It's because people have been "programmed" to believe something that is mistaken about what "real work is!" At one point less than 500 years ago if you refused to believe the Sun rotated round the Earth you could be burnt at the stake!

    It's basically a passive thing!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416624].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Eamon Diamond
      People that don't understand IM are always going to have
      something negitive to say about it.

      IM is a business and one that has to be worked on everyday.
      What people don't understand is - it's the Internet Marketing
      side which teaches people how to go about putting their
      business online, that will undoubtly bring them in more business
      and sales...that's what all businesses want - and they'll pay big
      Dollars to learn it too.

      Every niche online follows the same layout/system and it's the
      people who teach, (note the word teach) this IM side of things
      that makes it a business for them...hench it's a job to them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Schramko
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
    IM is not a job. IM is a marketing channel.

    Marketing on the Internet.

    If you are doing well it because you have a business and your primary sales / delivery channel happens in a channel that has more leverage and flxability than traditional channels. Some people can grasp it others cannot.

    If it is a 'JOB' then you are working for it not having it work for you. Perhaps re-assess whether you are really doing it right.

    I certainly never want a job for the rest of my life. I want a life that is fully funded by my business. If I choosing to 'work' in the business should be a choice rather than a necessity.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416653].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author frankm
      Originally Posted by James Schramko View Post

      IM is not a job. IM is a marketing channel.

      Marketing on the Internet.

      If you are doing well it because you have a business and your primary sales / delivery channel happens in a channel that has more leverage and flxability than traditional channels. Some people can grasp it others cannot.
      What James said...

      I would describe us as business owners who primarily use the Internet to market our products and services.

      It's definitely not a job, but for some people it's probably worse than a job as they lose money and spend many hours of time going nowhere.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519488].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jon Patrick
        "If by 'job,' you mean 'having a boss,' then no, I don't have a job. If by 'job,' you mean 'making a living,' then yes, I have a great job."

        Or the more snarky version:

        "If I don't have a 'real' job, I guess I must have won a settlement at some point and forgotten about it. Because the checks keep coming."
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmandaT
    Well, the general opinion of people I know is that methods of making money online are scams or pyramid schemes. Out of everyone I know, only my husband and father understand what I do. I've learned to just avoid talking about work with people that won't understand it. Otherwise I'd go crazy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416688].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by AmandaT View Post

      Well, the general opinion of people I know is that methods of making money online are scams or pyramid schemes. Out of everyone I know, only my husband and father understand what I do. I've learned to just avoid talking about work with people that won't understand it. Otherwise I'd go crazy.

      LOL

      My dad finally gave up trying to ask what exactly it was I did to earn a living online.

      All he knew was how much money I seemed to be making and all of those nice shiny things that I could afford to pay for.

      Even though I had attempted to explain my business model to him a dozen times, I think he went to the grave completely in the dark.
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416704].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author James Schramko
      Originally Posted by AmandaT View Post

      Well, the general opinion of people I know is that methods of making money online are scams or pyramid schemes. Out of everyone I know, only my husband and father understand what I do. I've learned to just avoid talking about work with people that won't understand it. Otherwise I'd go crazy.
      Even my Dad has no idea what I do. It does not matter.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author monkseo
    I would say don't worry about what other people think.

    Said best by Dr. Seuss:

    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

    Other than that, if you make enough with IM to support yourself and your family, then it is a real job
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimboJim
    If you think about it, it's actually a good attitude for people to have. If everyone in the world knew how to effectively do online marketing, then competition for even terrible keywords would be intense.

    I don't know about you, but I think the IM sphere is competitive. Let them live in their cubicles, it makes it easier for the rest of us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CheapTrafficDude
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
    I get that a lot too but I do have a regular job also, mostly for the social aspect and it pays well. Of course it's (IM) not a job, I just call it a lucrative hobby

    As far as "understanding money" that's the stupidest thing I ever heard and you can say that to the person who said it. A wise-man once said: "People are too busy earning a living that they forget to actually make money".

    Just chuckle and invite that person to dinner and make sure you only have $100 bills on you and pay for everything... Leave a $100 tip for the waitress and just say: Wow, it sucks not understanding money
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416746].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author visimedia
    the guy who started that thread maybe has good relationship with his parents, that's why when his parents told him to get "real" job and not IM it affected him very much..
    Signature

    [needed] worldwide partner before 2018 launching. You lost opportunities before? want automated income, grow ur income like virus ? PM me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Chicas
    Why not do both? Get a job and IM on your spare time? IM takes a while to get off the ground, sometimes longer than expected, and if you don't have any income coming in then it will greatly affect you as you are trying to make IM "work."

    Have a little bit of money coming in now, however you can, because at the end of the day... money talks - B*** S**t walks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author phil.wheatley
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
    If you want to tell them something that makes sense to them (and also sounds good), you can say that you are a publisher. At the end of the day, you pubish content on the Internet, so in some ways you ARE a publisher. Like others have said in this thread, if you try to explain any further than that, you will get blank looks.

    Cheers
    Phil
    Signature



    It's still not working for you??? Need direction?...
    ---->>>> BrainDirection.com <<<<----
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zayne Kendrick
    @ NickWatson - You stole the words out of my mouth.

    At OP, you can simply tell them that they're absolutely right. IM is not a real job, it's a business.

    A job is where someone spends the best 40 years of their miserable lives to make someone else rich.

    A business (when correctly built) is where someone wisely spends their time making themselves rich and free.

    Lastly if they understood money they would make more than you. They're just brainwashed idiots.

    Zayne
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416841].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trevor
      It happens to me, I think it happens to everybody who does IM.

      The fact is, most of the people saying this to you don't know they are talking about. They don't have this entrepreneurial spirit, they don't know we don't want to work 9-5 jobs, they simply don't know a thing.

      If you try to go "against" the rules of society, meaning you don't go the path in life most people go (be born, go to school, take up a job, get promoted, have children, be happy, die), people will try to bring you down (and often times they just want to help you), but please don't forget who you are doing this for. Not for them, but for yourself.

      Therefore, when I see someone doubting me, I don't take it personally, I know that in most cases they are not trying to hurt me, it simply motivates me to work even harder.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Royce Space
    That's true, this is NOT a job! This is business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author silverace
    most people are just jealous because they know they can't make a killing online themselves. just keep at it and prove the haters wrong!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danlew
    Internet marketing is a business, not a real job. You can do this either full-time or part-time. It's just like you are an entrepreneur or self-employed in a local business, internet marketing is more on a virtual strategy to make money with it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416946].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zamzung
    People don't understand internet and IM, that's the problem... I've realized that problem when I was trying to sell info products through internet in my country... you don't want to hear all the comments I got... let me just say they were terribly stupid comments, and all because people don't understand it... I would say they can't "feel" it because all you do is sitting in front of your computer and "wasting" your time...

    So, I would say... to avoid such a comments, just show them the money you earned from "that not real job" and it should shut up their mouths
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnchristopher
    Ha ha.. LOL.. even my mom yells at me to go and get a "REAL JOB"..

    well, they have their reservations.. you never know wha tcan happen in business... what if ****ing google comes up with a **** and we are made balls??


    real job can save our ass... but i am getting good money...

    i am gonna get rich soon and they gonna shut their f'ing mouths
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnchristopher
    As long as I am going to get good money, I'm gonna stick to this no matter what...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417037].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shuttercraft
    Why even care what other think? If you are making bank just agree with them and walk away. These people are just pissed because they can't find the entrepreneur within... like us.
    Signature

    Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are asking, What’s in it for me? – Brian Tracy

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
    Two things:

    1. Why do you care what others think?
    2. It's a business, not a job. You gotta do your own accounts, pay taxes and ****.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HonestAffiliate
    So Is IM a job/business?

    If you are making money constistently (predictably over longer period,ie year),
    it is a JOB or BUSINESS.
    (or whatever you like to call your "means of living")

    If you are not making money in IM consistently and you continue,
    it is NOT a job or business.

    If you are not making money in IM consistently and you continue,
    with having other job,side job, business to make your living,
    it is PASSION.

    If you are not making money in IM consistently and you continue,
    without having other job,side job, business to make your living,
    it is a FOOLISHNESS.

    If you are making money in IM but not consistently, and you
    do not take action to make it consistent in long run,
    it is a PITY.
    Signature


    [FREE GUIDE] Become a Twitter Expert in 24 Hours
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vok
    Anything is a real job if it makes real money. A professional poker player has a real job so long as he continues to make real money at it.

    When I say real job, I mean makes the at least the national minimum wage for time traded.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417218].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kenmorgan
      Send them to this video of Robert Kiyosaki (author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad) explaining the four quadrants (employee, self-employed, big business and investor:


      As Richard says "Why work hard for something you'll never own". Job means employee and all you ever get is your monthly salary. In IM we build businesses which are an asset. Employees don't build assets.
      Signature




      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417558].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jborjaperez
        Is this a JOB bashing thread?? GUESS I'M IN!

        :rolleyes: J.O.B - Just OVER BROKE!! Not in all cases but I've only worked low end retail jobs and they suck.. And I was always just over broke..

        Originally Posted by kenmorgan View Post

        Send them to this video of Robert Kiyosaki (author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad) explaining the four quadrants (employee, self-employed, big business and investor:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXRBEhj6jpo

        As Richard says "Why work hard for something you'll never own". Job means employee and all you ever get is your monthly salary. In IM we build businesses which are an asset. Employees don't build assets.
        Good one Ken!

        P.S - J.O.B could also be jump off bridge..

        -Jared
        Signature

        In my signature.. It's not a secret method.. It's a lifestyle.. It's Day 1, Follow Me From The Bottom UP!

        I Write Articles Too! PM ME!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417647].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
          I find it ironic that almost everybody wants to make extra money, dreams of being rich, living on the beach in some exotic location, etc., yet so many people still feel that IM must be a scam and run around telling people to "get a real job." You know, like the ones they hate and dream of leaving.

          Yes, ironic....

          Michelle
          Signature
          "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420729].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JROC777
            Lovin the rally of warriors that came out to defend IM. I was in the car business for 10 years before starting my IM career and let me tell you if a real job means 9am to 9pm Mon to Fri and weekends to boot they can have their real jobs - IM is the only way to fly
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420796].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jenniferwhittle
          I don't think so.. If they think it like that, prove them wrong. You are the ones who knew that IM is a job that has sustainable income.. They are just jealous of what you are achieving of today. I hope you won't bother to listen to that kind of persons again..
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523451].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlackRob
    I have to say that the people who tell us that IM is not a real job or business is normally a jealous sort. The reason I say this is because they have always hated their lot in life, whether it be job or other reasons, and cannot stand to see people they know make a success of themselves. Just pity them and enjoy your life, people like this will only make you feel bad about yourself...so why worry about them?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417408].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndyBlackSEO
    No matter how much money I make with IM... IM will always be more of a hobby than a job... because I lurrrve it! :-)
    Signature
    The Worlds Most Effective Video Creation and Marketing Software... CLICK HERE ...
    ... Create and rank professional marketing videos fast and efficiently.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carrot
    IM in the broader sense is definatly a job, people that say otherwise just dont understand it. Say 'im a marketing consultant / im in advertising" etc, and they go away.

    IM in the selling bad advice to desperate people, well thats not a job, its a con.
    If your not embarrassed about what you promote, who cares what others think.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LetsGoViral
    Because you aren't employed.
    Signature
    Time of thinking is over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diice
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
    Hey Nickamodda,

    the people that are telling you it isnt a real job... i wonder what they are doing with their life? Oh yeah... 9-5 average wage.
    Its simple, people dont like the thought of someone being more successful than them, yet they arent willing to put in the work to prevent that.
    If they cant be succesful, they dont want anyone else to be. Dont let them drag you down to their level.

    Thanks,
    -Michael
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DarrenHaynes
    Is IM a real Job?

    NO AND THANK GOD :-)
    Signature
    TheSpinningTop.net
    Buy Paragraph, Sentence, and Word Spun Articles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418039].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rkat55
      Originally Posted by DarrenHaynes View Post

      Is IM a real Job?

      NO AND THANK GOD :-)
      ditto ditto ditto ditto!!!

      Check out my pic to the left. That's me at the park smoking a stogie in
      the middle of a weekday while everyone else i know is at their 9-5
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519280].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rmolina88
        Originally Posted by rkat55 View Post

        ditto ditto ditto ditto!!!

        Check out my pic to the left. That's me at the park smoking a stogie in
        the middle of a weekday while everyone else i know is at their 9-5
        That's my dream right there!

        I got let go from my job last Oct and used that time to start focusing on my comedy videos site (in sig) and during that time, I was enjoying long walks in the sun while everyone else was doing their 9-5's.

        I eventually got my job back 2 months later, but my time off was well spent and now I'm starting to earn some money. Very soon, I'll be enjoying my long walks again.

        So yeah, IM is not a job. It's a way of life!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oconn92234
    Just tell people you have an online business so you can work for anywhere !!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tayuyaa
    I guess people think that because you work from your home
    then you're not working at all...to make them believe it's real
    you just rent an office and they will see you differently...

    That's how they see the world...job=going to the office each
    morning and coming back at night...

    But again, it's difficult to them to believe that you earn money
    because it hurts their fundamental believes...which are you
    need to go to school, get a high degree, get a good job
    that pays well etc..etc...and also the fact that you can
    make more money than they do, hurts their ego as well.

    lol, it's all about perception actually...

    Tim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418239].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author colinaudie
      As long as you making it why bother what they call it job, business, entrepeneur thats not important.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418356].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bushidosurfer
    In a job, you work 9-5, you commute in rush hour traffic daily. You have a cubicle. You have a boss (you prob need to suck up to). You have "stable" income and will never/rarely ever own a Lambo or Ferrari.

    IM have none of these jobs related features and it's not normal for the uninitiated.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    It isn't a real job... It's a REAL business...



    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418784].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author connor1975
    that is not point.
    ask yourself
    1. you like it
    2. you make money
    3. you have time to enjoy life
    that's all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill Cousins
    Success is the best revenge! I LOVE That saying!

    You know what else is funny (and this could part of what you are experiencing) is that the more success you have the less your friends (with normal jobs) like it!

    At least I have noticed that. BC
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419882].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Just remind them that you would rather not have a real job, since they don't pay as well as Internet Marketing is paying you.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419910].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Ward
    Some people can't get over the idea that a "job" means getting up in the morning and going to work from 9-5.
    Signature
    "Keep moving forward."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kret0s
    I wouldn't call it a job... I'd call it a business.
    Signature
    The Green Magazine Blog Community
    An Eco Friendly Blog by KnowYourEarth
    Spreading Global Green Awareness & Education
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
    Many people that haven't done internet marketing previously, or know nothing about it, immediately turn their attention to the word "scam" and other unreliable words, which is obviously wrong. Once you do prove that you can make a large amount of money via the internet, watch them turn around and come to you for assistance.

    But, I do partially agree with them. IM isn't a job, it's a way of life. It deserves to be classified much better than the typical 'job'.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420718].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RichBeck
    Interesting topic....

    The BIG issue I see is... Many people still have the 1950's idea of a "job"....

    You get a job....
    You work hard 40 hours per week....
    You are rewarded with raises....
    You get promoted............
    Your work is recognized and appreciated.....
    You retire.... and get a gold watch........
    You enjoy life......

    It was shameful and considered "bad business" to layoff your employees.... The business made a commitment... The business needs to stick to it...

    So, these people think a "job" is "secure".......

    The reality, since the 1980's, is employees now are just a commodity...... They can be let go at will.... As a matter of fact, laying off people and making the remaining workers work even harder is seen as good... and many CEOs get handsomely rewarded.... That is truly twisted...

    All the Best,

    Rich
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J Bold
    Of course it's not a real job.

    It's a business.

    It's about self-improvement so you can become a better business person and someone who gets things done without a boss telling him or her what to do.

    If you're doing great, great!

    If you are struggling, not making any money and jumping around from one thing to another it's not really a real anything except a real waste of time.

    To your success,

    J Bold
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5421148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nadias
    I think there are many reasons why people can't grasp the concept of IM. Most have already been mentioned. Jealousy and envy that you are doing something that they aren't brave enough to pursue themselves. I have also noticed, especially in those less internet savvy people, the belief that anyone making money off the internet must be involved in a scam of some sort.

    I own a non-IM business that I work mostly from home and even though people understand my business, they have a hard time grasping the concept that I actually WORK when I'm home. They think I lounge around and have all this leisure time to chit chat. Even my family doesn't completely understand. People have been so programmed by society to think that if you aren't getting up, commuting to work, working your 9 to 5 shift, then commuting back home, you're not really working for a living. The ones who make the comments will never understand and there's not use wasting your breath trying to change their minds. You just have to not let the comments get to you and live your life the way you want to live. At the end of the day, there's only one person that you need to make happy: YOU.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5421172].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RichBeck
      Originally Posted by Nadias View Post

      They think I lounge around and have all this leisure time to chit chat. Even my family doesn't completely understand. People have been so programmed by society to think that if you aren't getting up, commuting to work, working your 9 to 5 shift, then commuting back home, you're not really working for a living. The ones who make the comments will never understand and there's not use wasting your breath trying to change their minds. You just have to not let the comments get to you and live your life the way you want to live. At the end of the day, there's only one person that you need to make happy: YOU.
      Nadias,

      Very true......

      All the Best,

      Rich
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5421195].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johndougs
    I think most people who think that way are old fashioned. They are stuck in the past's perception of what a job is and they know not otherwise. In their minds eye they are absolutely right, however, in reality they are definitely wrong.

    Tell them you're an entrepreneur and ask them to research it. IM is really not the job. IM is part of the process that accomplishes part of your job. Your job is to earn money and IM is the tool you use to make your Real Job a lot easier.

    The end result is your lifestyle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EricSt
    To be honest the more people who consider IM to not be a real job, the better. The more people who think that it isn't a legitimate business model, the less competition there is for us online.

    I agree with a lot of the comments saying that IM isn't a job, it's a business. With that being said however, you have to make sure you treat it like a real business. Are you incorporated? If not, why? If you want to be taken seriously as a legitimate business owner nothing would shut your haters up faster than saying your own your own very profitable LLC. Can you tell them your ROI? What is your target audience?

    The more you treat your business as such, the more respect you will get from outsiders. I have friends begging me to teach them how to do what I've been doing. Of course we all know that it isn't as easy as sitting down at a computer for a couple of hours and saying do this, this, and this and boom you're making money. I've only gone into real detail with one friend that I think really has given IM the respect it deserves and wants to put in the time to learn how it is done the right way. Everyone else can go on assuming I make money "making and promoting websites."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tenzho
    I tell them I am a book publisher, merchant, writer, copywriter, advertiser, video editor, graphic designer,proofreader, article writer, service provider, website builder, blogger, video marketer, affiliate marketer.
    Signature
    Hire Me For 3D eCover Design
    Code for a Free $5 EXTRA: WSOSPECIAL
    Click Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500714].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bofu2U
    Most likely they don't consider it one because they've never seen anyone directly make money from a computer. They see it as "watch youtube", "hop on facebook", "lose 6 hours on facebook", etc.

    Most people see it for what it is, which makes it easier for people like us to actually make money on it.
    Signature
    I run a Reputation and Brand Management Agency out of Baltimore, Maryland.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500802].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andrew2000
    I am thinking to quit my highly paid job as a software developer to just do IM, still doubt as I only earn a few dollars from adsense since last month. Need to pay mortgage and grocery.....if I can reach half of what I am paid now, I will quit.
    Signature
    ai4im.com | Integrating Artificial Intelligence into Internet Marketing


    A newbie trying to make $5,000/month in Internet Marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500889].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CreativeFlair
      Originally Posted by andrew2000 View Post

      I am thinking to quit my highly paid job as a software developer to just do IM, still doubt as I only earn a few dollars from adsense since last month. Need to pay mortgage and grocery.....if I can reach half of what I am paid now, I will quit.
      Sounds dangerous, why don't you freelance and do IM on the side/diversify your income streams more?
      Signature

      Professional SEO, blogger and social media expert | Personal site: Blossom.nu

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ckbank
    IM ISN'T a real job, because you don't work for money, your money works for you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rising_sun
    Banned
    This is very crucial issue where the IMs are crazzy about hearing that it is not real job; but it is very difficult to make other (non IMs) that it is not less significant than real job. However, as we can get paid from this so it is a job and a job is just a job regardless real and virtual, though outsider think that this is virtual job, therefore they should think that the money we earn is not virtual anymore - it certainly have real market value (we can purchase any services spending the money).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DP55
    I just troll people that start saying get a real job.

    The funniest thing about telling people you work from home on the internet is responses like:

    "Aww...you fell for an internet work from home scam"
    "What? NO! Those emails from Nigerian princes are fake!!!"
    "So what illegal activities have you been up to this week?"
    "There's no way you're not breaking the law!"

    I sometimes just babble on about PPC, SEO, CPC or any abbreviations and basically bore them until they walk away. Enjoy laughing those 9-5 working for the man idiots who don't understand there's a life outside doing manual labour for peanuts.
    Signature
    Business In A Box
    Let me set up a mostly-automated business for you. $XXX-XXXX/month. Marketing + website included! PM For More Info - Only $97. Only 3 Available!

    Brand New Private Method
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5501004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author steven sanderson
    Anyone who is stuck in the mindset of what a real job is and what a real job is not will probably struggle online

    In my experience you have to step away from the mindset of getting paid for hours worked, because getting paid for being clever is way more profitable

    People see getting paid for hours worked as a normal job, and until they realize that what they have been told all there lives is not quite correct, then they may struggle online

    All the best
    Steven
    Signature
    [RAVE REVIEWS] WSO - THIS MAY JUST BE THE BEST INVESTMENT YOU EVER MAKE !!

    DON'T BELIEVE ME, CLICK THE LINK AND SEE FOR YOURSELF http://www.warriorplus.com/wso/view/40365
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5501015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seniorsmithg
    They're just jealous because It's not a real job - it's better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5501030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
    There isn't really such a thing as "a real job", just pompous, self-important meatheads who believe tiresome grind makes the man, sometimes just because they're themselves incapable of anything that involves brain power.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5501038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eniggma
    One of the most annoying things is when people make ignorant comments or pass judgement on what you are doing and they don't even understand it. I agree that they are just hating because the bottom line is they can't understand why you are making a killing from your laptop and the cops haven't kicked the door in yet, while most of them probably don't make half that sitting in traffic and punching a clock every morning. Call it resentment.

    The fact that they slave away in their cubicle being sorely underpaid and treated like a drone, too scared to attempt to start a real business much less stay focused enough to make it successful whether its online or off while you make a 10ft commute from your bed to your computer is gonna make some people mad.

    Its like this one IM'er said, ignore people like that because they know if you succeed there will be no excuse for their failures.

    Especially in this economy...Enjoy it bro.
    Signature

    "Successful people do the things unsuccessful people won't do" - (Somebody successful) :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5501140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Smilix
    Don't take it personal.

    Continue to work hard, and enjoy life.

    Eventually they might see your happiness, and maybe even begin to ask you
    to show them how to have a 'real job'!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Miranda
    Sounds like those people are jealous maybe?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504633].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
    AMEN to this! I get sick of the looks you get as well! Most of the time the first thing people say is "Oh, you do porn." NOOOOOOO... I don't do porn... There is more than porn on the internet. How ignorant. LOL.

    The conversation gets much more serious, however, when I pick up the check and pay for my whole family's steak dinner after I was out fishing all day and doing, well, whatever I want!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cvcena
    I totally agree with your parents that IM isn't a real job... It's not even a job at all, and this is the very reason why we all do IM --is we don't want a J.O.B. (which means Just-Over-Broke)...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Kage
    Right, IM is not a job, it is a lifestyle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sethczerepak
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
    I know people like this. I laugh at them all the way to the bank.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tchavous
    Its so funny, I work from home doing the IM game and its the same with me. My wife works a full time job. Our friends and family have hinted that they think I do nothing at home. They have even assumed that I am leeching off my wife's salary. Nothing could be further from the truth than this.

    Because people don't understand I just say I am working on software/product development for major advertising companies online. Then they walk away still not knowing but I think it satisfies them when I say am working for a company....

    In the end I just don't care anymore, screw them because I just have too many others things to worry or fill my mind with anyway!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5518481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author redfield
    As long as what you do pay the bills, it is a job. Why bother if it is "real" or "fake". My 2 cents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5518922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author momo14
    may be they should call self employed rather than job. what do u think?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.
    The first mistake you and many others make is calling IM a job. IM is not a job. It is a business. There is a clear distinction.

    What many IMers forget is to include all of the other stuff when comparing income. Yes, you may make more than anyone you know, but are you comparing apples to apples when making that statement?

    Are you considering what insurances you must pay for (or lack) when you run your own IM business? Are you factoring in taxes paid? I could go on and on.

    At the end of the day, IM is not a real job. It is not a job at all. It is a business. Too many people forget that and that's why there are so many failures.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yasser
    Internet marketing is a real JOB and you feel that you own your own business. How come it is not a job when everyone goes to the internet before decinding to buy or do anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Bratcher
    IM is more of a "real job" than I've ever had.

    I'm of the opinion that most 9 to 5 jobs aren't real jobs.

    I mean I'm trying to run a business here and most of my friends just push papers around all day.
    Signature
    “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519744].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author deejones
      I was often told writing wasn't a real job. Until I started making money at it, then most of that stopped. But there are always people who think that if you don't leave the house every morning to go to work, or you don't have a boss, what you do isn't a real job.

      That sort of thing stopped bothering me a long time ago.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5519806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
    Advice from parents and friends and others who love you that is like that is well intentioned.

    They love you and see running your own business (especially one that they can't really see) as a very risky venture and they worry for you.

    Also, most people are only most comfortable with what they know.

    When I started my first offline business years ago, I got this all the time. It wasn't until I was in business for 5 years making a profit and had multiple locations before my Father actually stopped worrying. My mother never did.

    You just have to take what people who have never done it or who have done it and failed say with a bit of understanding of where they are coming from and then continue doing what you are doing.

    And BTW, congratulations for creating and running a successful online business.
    Signature
    44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

    Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520041].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author deejones
      Originally Posted by TopKat22 View Post

      Advice from parents and friends and others who love you that is like that is well intentioned.

      They love you and see running your own business (especially one that they can't really see) as a very risky venture and they worry for you.
      That's definitely true when it comes to people who care about you. But I've actually had people look down their noses at me once they learned what I did. But I just let them think whatever they choose to think and move on.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    One of the main reasons for this kind of misconception is that people do not even understand what internet marketing is. I know people who think I get paid by the 'internet' for sitting on the computer all day doing 'nothing'!

    People will continue to doubt this career path until they are educated about the field of internet marketing. We should respond positively to their questions and try to explain to them why we have the coolest jobs ever!
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
    If you treat it like a job, you're in the wrong mindset.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Newbie Watch
    I know a lot of people personally that are making a killing off the internet... Most outsider don't understand what internet marketing is that's why they say that.. Just keep making your money.. ignore the others
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520246].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author deejones
      Originally Posted by Newbie Watch View Post

      Most outsider don't understand what internet marketing is that's why they say that.. Just keep making your money.. ignore the others
      There are a lot of those "not a real job" types who are suddenly asking me about what I do and how they might possibly be able to do it. And they try to be all subtle and sly about it, like maybe I won't notice or something. It's almost like they're embarrassed to even be thinking about making money online.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520280].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jere Kuisma
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    HA how can they say "and you will understand money" if you make more than them : D
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kdmpublishing
    They wont understand. After nine years of IM, I still just say that " I create websites". They still dont understand but they have a vague idea. If you say something like "I create plugins, or do SEO consultation", you will get that blank stare. Even if you did this work for a 9 to 5 job, they still wouldnt understand. People will always think that IM is just another fly by night scam. Dont waste your time trying to explain.

    But the ones who dont understand will be one of the first to ask to borrow money from you.
    Signature

    Flippa Profile: Great Sites for Sale
    Company Site: KDMPublishing.com

    Looking for affordable Minisites?
    QuickStartMinisites has some of the best Niche Minisites for your Business
    http://QuickStartMinisites.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5520711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Genycis
    I'd say, if you work on it, if it makes you money, then it's a job. While I don't condone it, prostitution is a job too, and there are some high priced hookers out there that have made fortunes, sent their children to college from it, etc., so while it's not what we consider "a job", it made them money too.

    People just have a bad misconception of it. They think that unless you're behind a desk or doing a blue collar job, that it's not a job otherwise.

    They can keep hating all they want, but the bottom line is, you're putting in a lot of work to do what you can to get where you're at now. Let them continue hating while you continue making. That's just how I see it.

    I never thought of IM as not a job... however, I can say that some time back, I thought the only way to make money off of IM was pretty much to sell things to people trying to do IM... and that only those people making the SEO books or videos, the build website courses, etc. were the ones making money while others just sat there feeding these Gurus cash to try to make their own business.

    However, though I'm not caking in money like I'd like to, I can say that from what I've learned about IM, the tactics, and so forth, I've been able to make some money from my two websites, things that I used to do as hobbies once. Maybe one day I can make a few grand a week every week consistently (God knows I'd love to be able to reach there one day as unemployment is tiresome now but I'd prefer a job where I dictate the hours, etc. versus doing another 9-5 for $15 an hour), but I'd never knock IM to say it's not a job. A lot of work goes into it, and keyword research itself can take some hours or days, let alone making the business.

    Anyone who is making a business, whether online, offline, etc., that is a job... and being an entrepreneur is a job. So again, while they keep hating, you keep making. Much respect to you on your achievements! May God Bless you with many more!
    Signature
    Genycis
    -- Absorbing & implementing. Need hip hop beats for your business needs? Hit me up!
    -- Posting my experiences and so forth with my own blog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5521254].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sara Nightingale
    Basically, people just don't quite grasp what it is that internet marketers do. The lifestyle your "job" allows you to have makes it appear that we are jobless but we just work a different schedule structure they don't recognize. It doesn't appear to people that you have a "real job" because you don't... You have a dream job! Keep it up!
    Signature

    Sara Nightingale
    Customer Service Edge LLC

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5521532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cameronpalte
    Banned
    [quote=nickdamodda;5416222]Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.



    Most people don't understand this. I guess just keep up what your doing. Who knows one day if you become famous and get featured in a newspaper (assuming that hasn't happened already-) you can show them. For now just spend more time working and less worrying about that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5521624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money"
    Ignore people like this with great vigor... even if they are your family members.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523003].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LunarSky
    it is totally a real job, truth, lots of work and creation goes into many of the products you see out there, time, brainpower, work, get paid for quality work = REAL JOB or did i miss something in recent and relevant sociology 101
    Signature

    Done Vida, Carpe Diem, Live, and Live Well :)
    joshua-sky.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeronfire
    Originally Posted by nickdamodda View Post

    Can somebody please explain to me why you or other people think IM isn't a real job. I'm making more than anybody I know in my life and I keep hearing "IM isn't a real job" "Get a real job and you will understand money" and it's starting to irritate me a lot. I just want to know your reason behind it.

    After reading this thread, I learned I wasn't alone.
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-real-job.html
    Like Kat Williams once said: "If you got haters, you're doing something right."

    I'm constantly harassed by people, especially family members, about what I do for a living. Oh, "You don't leave the house, it's not a real job." They're all totally cool with eating nice meals out or with presents paid with IM money, but they're just freaking haters.

    I found the best way to bypass this kind of hater crap is to make them work with you for a day. My sister and some of my hater friends were/are unemployed. I gave them some copywriting, articles or linkbuilding to do for me, they all gave up. Not one of them could finish one freaking 500 word article; "Wow this is hard, how do you do it?" They still hate on me a bit, but it's not as bad as it was for the most part.

    Most people simply are content to work with someone else for the rest of their lives, and then they wonder why they never got ahead or things they wanted in life. It's a lack of courage and determination; in our line of work you have to try, try again, fail constantly and learn from your mistakes. You have to think outside the box, you have to take risks. I'm getting to the point where if they can't be happy for me they can go get stuffed

    But hey, it's not a job. It's a BUSINESS! You're making JOBS for other people who wouldn't otherwise have one, spending money, doing your thing and making your own opportunities. Keep at it and you will be successful, no matter what the haters say
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523312].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashtree
    People maybe upset they work at a job they hate and making nothing and you get to sit at home and make a lot more than them. IM is definitely a real job, if you make money at it, it's a ton of work, lot of hours, lot of pressure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vlada111
    It`s just because the worktime and every organisation is set up by you. You can work 20 hours a day or 5 hours a day, however you want. They probably want you to settle up on something and they think it`s an unsure job.

    But don`t worry about that I advise you should continiue your efforts!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mjw
    People that give you a hard time don't have the intestinal fortitude to go out on their own to start their own business and work hard at it. I got so much grief from everyone when I started betting on horses for a living.

    Don't listen to them, these are the people who will squash your dream because they don't have any.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5529491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author warrich
    I myself consider that internet marketing is as real as anyother job in this world. People say that Internet marketing is not a real job because we don't face any corporate environment in our goal to earn money and we don't answer to any higher authorities. But according to me this is the best job where one can work with full interest.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrick Batty
    I'd say it's a job / business.

    I prefer to think of it as a business, as the word job generally is thought of as something you do, in someone ELSES business.

    Now, on the other hand, if you are doing internet marketing, and not making any money at it.. some may consider that a HOBBY. ;.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5863151].message }}

Trending Topics