Article Syndication-And Fighting Out Of The Blue Corner

23 replies
First off, who would have ever thought there could be warring factions on a forum named the Warrior Forum? Hummmm

One camp preaches the virtues of writing a quality article, one decisively longer than 500 words, and promote that article to site and email list owners who are willing to use this article in exchange for a link back to their sites. We will call this group A.

The next camp exclaims the value of writing quality articles in or around 500 words and placing them themselves on the higher tier directories. Many in this group also use software to blast this exact same article to hundreds, if not thousands, of lower level directories for extra backlinks. This is group B.

We also need to shed some light, give a little love, to a group that condones writing articles, from 250 to 500 words, that can be higher quality (but usually isn't) and then placing those articles in a piece of software that spins this article into hundreds of barely, if at all, readable articles, and distributes these so called articles to thousands of sites for backlinking purposes only.

WE will call this group Dumba$$ .. thought I was going to say C ... didn't ya? We will refer to this group as DA because I grow lazy in my typing.

Group DA is always looking for a quick way out of doing anything of substance. While I am sure this group will join this discussion, we might even get a visit from their king, I won't waste valuable characters covering their failed attempts at short-cutting their way to fame and fortune.

Groups A and B are more alike than they would care to admit.

Both groups are committed to writing quality. Both understand the difference in syndication and duplicate content. Even their goals are somewhat the same.

They are looking to get their articles syndicated and build backlinks at the same time.

Their main difference would seem to be their promotional methods.

Groups A and B could learn a lot from each other. Group DA just never learns.

I myself would be somewhat of an A-B hybrid. Then again, I have never considered myself an article marketer but more of a content marketer. This is how I do it ... it might not be your cup of tea.

I start out by writing an article 1000 to 1500 words or so in length. This is the article I place on my own site. Now many will tell you to wait a few days to make sure the article indexes but in my case, the article will index in a matter of minutes in most cases.

I then contact as many relative site owners as possible as well as the list of owners I already have work on.

Now the article will eventually be placed on all the top tier directories (the ones that demand manual placement) but that is the last step for this article. Here is where I differ from a lot of the members of both groups.

I want this article to rank the best on my own site. I use this long article to promote itself. I re-purpose and reformat the article.

Out of 1500 word article, it is simple to re-write a minimum of three 500 word articles. I place these articles on my blog and on all the top tiers and admittedly a couple thousand low tier sites also. All with links pointing to the original longer article on my site.

The shorter articles are also reformatted into ebooks, videos, content for my relevant email list, and other venues. I will even do press releases and point them to the article on my site.

After I have decided I have gotten about all the replies I am getting for the syndication of the long article, I then place this article on the top tiers and make it into ebooks, list content and video and such. I end up getting more syndication venues here.

With this method I only need to write one long article and rewrite it into 3 or 4 short articles a week.

This gives me enough content for my own site, my email list, content seeking site and list owners, build high power backlinks to my site, build high power link strings to my site, rank well in Google and get additional traffic from all the places my content appears.

If I added all the time this process takes, I am probably not having over one day out of the week invested.

This is a good thing because .. content marketing is just one of my traffic streams I use. There are other things I need to do to get traffic from other sources.

There are other things I need to do to add more income streams, customer support, work on conversions, and all the other things required to make a business a success.
#article #blue #corner #fighting #syndicationand
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    With this method I only need to write one long article and rewrite it into 3 or 4 short articles a week.
    I do that in some niches, too. Works fine. There are times I need to rewrite because of submission in a certain way - it works for me. Truly, there is no one way to do article marketing or syndication or whatever you call it.

    You see strong arguments for two reasons:

    1. Some believe their method is THE way so will argue it

    2. Some want you to believe their method is THE way - to position themselves as experts.

    I think the best thing for most marketers is to read both sides, test all methods and decide what YOU want to do.

    kay
    Signature
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    Couldn't agree with you more Kay. Of course I have already used all my Thank You up for the day or you would get one.

    I don't see how anyone could think that any one traffic method could provide the most traffic. Just because I like article marketing doesn't mean the person who understands PPC isn't getting 10 times the traffic I do a day.

    As always, great to read your replies.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Coutts
    Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

    ... placing those articles in a piece of software that spins this article into hundreds of barley, if at all, readable articles ...
    Barley, wheat, rye, whatever ... They're all cereal killers to the enjoyment of reading.
    Signature
    Write System - superior web content
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419850].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
      What a great way to point out one's mistakes .. thanks


      Troy


      Originally Posted by John Coutts View Post

      Barley, wheat, rye, whatever ... They're all cereal killers to the enjoyment of reading.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419881].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Coutts
        Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

        What a great way to point out one's mistakes .. thanks


        Troy
        Sorry ... I couldn't resist it ... no offense intended.

        John.
        Signature
        Write System - superior web content
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419898].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
          None taken .. whatsoever

          Originally Posted by John Coutts View Post

          Sorry ... I couldn't resist it ... no offense intended.

          John.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
    Thanks, Troy. I wish I could say that some of the members of group DA will learn from your post, but they're far too busy trying to figure out why they haven't made that million dollars in 5 days like they were supposed to

    How have you gone about finding all of the site owners to contact? Was it a matter of searching and then sending an email to strike up a relationship, or do you have a more precise method?
    Signature
    Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419934].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
      I do contact sites I find in my niches.

      I also used to have a team of ghostwriters and sold articles. The old contact list was elated when I started offering them free material.



      Originally Posted by NicoleBeckett View Post

      Thanks, Troy. I wish I could say that some of the members of group DA will learn from your post, but they're far too busy trying to figure out why they haven't made that million dollars in 5 days like they were supposed to

      How have you gone about finding all of the site owners to contact? Was it a matter of searching and then sending an email to strike up a relationship, or do you have a more precise method?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419994].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
        I would imagine that with all the fanfare that Article Syndication gets on the forum, that it's viewed as a silver bullet. In my experience, in some niches it works great...other niches not so much.

        From my experience, most people that are not successful online have fundamental business problems. In other words, nothing will help them.

        Also keep in mind, that nobody has any idea what kind of success people actually have with anything, including syndication.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420397].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
          I haven't found a niche yet that syndication doesn't work to some extent in but admittedly, there are a lot of niches I am not in or interested in.

          The niches that are successful enough to have successful site admi8ns seem to work real good for the fact the admins are busy doing other things besides creating constant content.

          There are people who make a killing online every day that can't market their way out of a wet paper bag. If you have something a lot of people want, there is always someone with marketing knowledge not making a dime online to help you.

          I know TPW ( Bill )and Alexa are successful with syndication and I would stake 14 years of online marketing gut feeling John Coutts is also. It's hard to fool an old fool.

          Originally Posted by Ryan David View Post

          I would imagine that with all the fanfare that Article Syndication gets on the forum, that it's viewed as a silver bullet. In my experience, in some niches it works great...other niches not so much.

          From my experience, most people that are not successful online have fundamental business problems. In other words, nothing will help them.

          Also keep in mind, that nobody has any idea what kind of success people actually have with anything, including syndication.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420589].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author John Coutts
            Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

            I know TPW ( Bill )and Alexa are successful with syndication and I would stake 14 years of online marketing gut feeling John Coutts is also. It's hard to fool an old fool.
            Ah, Mr Philips, you do me an honor, but I confess I have only just recently started on this road of article syndication. Bill and Alexa are really in a quite different league from me.

            I write content for a living, and I have done for over 16 years online, which is making it easy for me to change over. It didn't take much, I confess, to convince me that syndicating content is the best way to embrace the future.

            I purchased a copy of the Jim Edwards classic, Turn Words Into Traffic, more than 10 years ago. Sadly, I didn't pay enough attention to what he said in that ebook. I re-read it recently and realised how stupid I had been, missing such a simple, yet powerful point.

            However, it's better late than never, as they say.

            John.
            Signature
            Write System - superior web content
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420872].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
              And that is an accomplishment few can state


              Originally Posted by John Coutts View Post

              I write content for a living, and I have done for over 16 years online,

              John.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim3
    ... and to just chuck some gasoline on the fire and fan it a bit, some may like to read this post from Jon Leger's blog.

    Results from actual testing, not supposition.

    CASE STUDY: Links from unique vs. duplicate content. « Jonathan Leger – SEO And Internet Marketing Blog
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420702].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Coutts
      Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post

      ... and to just chuck some gasoline on the fire and fan it a bit, some may like to read this post from Jon Leger's blog.

      Results from actual testing, not supposition.

      CASE STUDY: Links from unique vs. duplicate content. « Jonathan Leger - SEO And Internet Marketing Blog
      The link you supplied says, in part:

      "Their argument is that you can use article marketing to distribute the exact same articles all over the place and get rankings that are just as good as if you get links from unique content on each site."

      Where did Mr Leger pick up the idea about anyone involved in article syndication marketing is trying to "get rankings that are just as good as if you get links from unique content"?

      Mr Leger has completely missed the point of article syndication, as so many unfortunately do. His tests, while do doubt meticulously executed, do not disprove anything that has been claimed for article syndication on this forum.

      John.
      Signature
      Write System - superior web content
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420790].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tim3
        Originally Posted by John Coutts View Post

        The link you supplied says, in part:

        "Their argument is that you can use article marketing to distribute the exact same articles all over the place and get rankings that are just as good as if you get links from unique content on each site."

        Where did Mr Leger pick up the idea about anyone involved in article syndication marketing is trying to "get rankings that are just as good as if you get links from unique content"?

        Mr Leger has completely missed the point of article syndication, as so many unfortunately do. His tests, while do doubt meticulously executed, do not disprove anything that has been claimed for article syndication on this forum.

        John.

        I had to go back and re-read that post John, and I think he has mainly backlinking in mind, and as you you say has overlooked the real point reason behind syndication, although the post does seemed to be focused on article marketing.

        Imo all of these raging debates are caused by perpetuated misinformation in the first instance.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420914].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420792].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tim3
        Originally Posted by Paul Gram View Post

        That was an excellent case study and the unique spun content won (and still is).

        I don't take either side. I actually do BOTH of the article methods mentioned above because they both work.

        I agree Paul, you cannot beat a real case study although Jon does of course sell spinning software

        I have to admit I quite like the idea, but at the end of the day it is bloody tedious, and they may still require rewriting and editing and editing, and this time would probably be better spent attempting to get some high quality high PR backilnks, although often fruitless you can make some contacts for future reference.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420831].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
      And you would expect different from someone who is the owner of a spinning product and a product that supposedly writes great articles?




      Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post

      ... and to just chuck some gasoline on the fire and fan it a bit, some may like to read this post from Jon Leger's blog.

      Results from actual testing, not supposition.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420799].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

        And you would expect different from someone who is the owner of a spinning product and a product that supposedly writes great articles?
        If I'm not mistaken, you're forgetting the mass distribution system...

        Who would have guessed that the option using the products he promotes won?

        I'm not calling him a liar, but a limited test like this can be rigged (consciously or not) to support the hypothesis of the one running the test. In other words, even if he didn't cheat, he still did things in a way that supported his POV.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420897].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tim3
        Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

        And you would expect different from someone who is the owner of a spinning product and a product that supposedly writes great articles?

        Absolutely not, he's not going to trash his own product is he? but my point was he took the trouble to test, and I would certainly not call the man the liar, I would imagine he has sold thousands of TBS and unlike many others in this game does not need to.

        Personally I remain unconvinced that spinning articles for whatever reason is a good long-term strategy, I would sooner write one excellent long article and let the links come me naturally.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420993].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
          I have no knowledge of his income or need to increase it. Even the "best spinner" is still a spinner.

          I never called him a liar. It is not a lot of trouble when you know the test is going to somewhat prove a point.

          Do you think the test would ever been published if it came out the opposite? Does he show the variables from point one to finish?

          I in no way want to come across as the next article syndication messiah or the IM moral majority. Business is business and the way someone else runs their business is of no importance to me.

          If someone wants to spin a million, run them through to every spam tank on the net and then use software to ping them so the search engines find them .. more power to them. At the end of the day they neither helped or hurt my bottom line.

          I just stated how I look at syndication and what has been working for me



          Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post

          Absolutely not, he's not going to trash his own product is he? but my point was he took the trouble to test, and I would certainly not call the man the liar, I would imagine he has sold thousands of TBS and unlike many others in this game does not need to.

          Personally I remain unconvinced that spinning articles for whatever reason is a good long-term strategy, I would sooner write one excellent long article and let the links come me naturally.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5421073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pbarnhart
    You say to-may-toe, she says to-ma-to, and he says {to|toe|tow}{ma|may|mae}{toe|too|two}

    Doesn't a lot of it depend on the goal? Building a brand/reputation vs linkwheels/pyramids/etc. If I am building a quicky 90-day site for a promotion, I am going to use a different approach than building a core money site for a clicks-and-bricks client.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    I have the best spinner. I figured for a hundred bucks it would be worth using it to re-purpose my content for like e-books and stuff.

    You can change paragraphs, sentences, and words but in the end, it was more work than just rewriting by hand and the results were nowhere near comparable.

    Jonathan is a great marketer, I give him that but ... any case study can be skewed to prove any point.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420861].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Coutts
      Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

      I have the best spinner. I figured for a hundred bucks it would be worth using it to re-purpose my content for like e-books and stuff.

      You can change paragraphs, sentences, and words but in the end, it was more work than just rewriting by hand and the results were nowhere near comparable.

      Jonathan is a great marketer, I give him that but ... any case study can be skewed to prove any point.
      Yes, I went through a spinning phase too, some years back. I wondered at the time if it was just me, but I always found that in order to get any kind of acceptable results, it took at least three times longer to spin than it would have done to simply write another article!

      I suppose, looking back, that I kept at it in a desperate attempt to justify the expense of purchasing the spinning software in the first place, but one day I stopped and admitted to myself that it was madness. That was the day when things started to get better.

      John.
      Signature
      Write System - superior web content
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420948].message }}

Trending Topics