Hollywood Pushes Back on SOPA

9 replies
The internet spoke out today against SOPA. Will it be effective? Who knows?

On the other side of the 'freedom of the internet' coin are the moneyed interests that drove this legislation in the first place.

They're starting to push back: Hollywood's Obama Donors On President's Piracy Stand: Not Give A Dime Anymore
#back #hollywood #pushes #sopa
  • lol. sheesh. they (hollywood & certain news firms, etc) really want to control the distribution badly. If they control the distribution, they control who gets the money and the (mis) information.

    What's really funny/interesting -- is -- based on that article, the hollywood/news titans seem to equate "support" with "control". Aka I "support" you financially and you "do" what I say... interesting. I didn't realize the presidency was for sale...
    Signature
    Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5446714].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author THK
      Originally Posted by InternetSuccess001 View Post

      lol. sheesh. they (hollywood & certain news firms, etc) really want to control the distribution badly. If they control the distribution, they control who gets the money and the (mis) information.

      What's really funny/interesting -- is -- based on that article, the hollywood/news titans seem to equate "support" with "control". Aka I "support" you financially and you "do" what I say... interesting. I didn't realize the presidency was for sale...

      President! lol...the entire Government is up for grabs, if you have the money to buy it.

      Don't worry, SOPA will pass as a law. When he signed NDAA, he said something like- I don't agree with everything it says but I signed it anyway. If you translate that, it would be like I have no brain of my own to think, so I am just doing what I was told to do.

      This is like a comedy club, hard to resist.
      Signature

      This is my signature!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5446820].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
        Originally Posted by THK View Post

        President! lol...the entire Government is up for grabs, if you have the money to buy it.

        Don't worry, SOPA will pass as a law. When he signed NDAA, he said something like- I don't agree with everything it says but I signed it anyway. If you translate that, it would be like I have no brain of my own to think, so I am just doing what I was told to do.

        This is like a comedy club, hard to resist.
        Why don't we just have a public auction for the offices and save the hassle of the elections?

        ;-)
        Signature
        44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

        Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5446850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    Wow, this whole thing is really gaining steam. I just hope its going in the right direction.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5446747].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
      These are the same people for whom the sky was falling because of:

      Cassette Tapes
      CD-Roms
      DVDs
      VCRs

      all of which ultimately created billions of extra revenue for the entertainment industry.

      But they never learn. They absolutely hate, hate, hate the Internet.

      In their eyes the Internet is another way to copy their stuff, and now Apple and Amazon are forcing a 99 cent product model down their throats.

      Since they can't control it they fight to destroy it.

      (How many times has the copyright law been amended right before Disney is about to lose protection of its earliest creations?!)

      Some of these morons already send cease & desist letters that don't know the difference between trademark and copyright, or which absurdly claim that merely mentioning their company or product on a website is somehow illegal.

      The last thing you want to do is give them leverage to destroy people's lives by letting these fools wield a new law as a weapon.


      ON THE OTHER HAND ...


      There is an endless supply of morons, idiots, and a grubby horde who would sell their mother if it meant making a nickel.

      They could care less about intellectual property and who they hurt and damage.

      If they can copy it to get a link, a search ranking, or just grab free content so they don't have to create anything on their own, they will.

      There are plenty of blackhat websites, even so-called IM sites who, lets face it, exist to copy and exchange WSOs and other digital products, to exchange passwords, to upload products for free on filing sharing sites, etc.

      It is insanity run amok. And there is seemingly nothing that can be done except spend a ridiculous amount of time and money playing whack-a-mole.

      These a-holes are hell bent on destroying the net for everyone on this forum. There is a reason why Google and others engage in wholesale bans, even if it sweeps up innocent victims. This last year we have seen more bans and restrictions from Google, Amazon, PayPal, ClickBank, Plimus, etc. And more are coming in 2012.

      They are, frankly, tired of the B.S.

      And the spam, spam, spam.

      It is, frankly, impossible (and too expensive) to try and play whack-a-mole with idiots in another country, and idiots in your own country who can easily hide and make it look like they are in another part of the world.

      Why not make it easier to simply and quickly shut down rogue websites?

      Speaking of Google, isn't it interesting they can ban websites, even whole networks such as ClickBank from Adwords, but the same websites still appear in their search results?


      Something has to give.

      I don't have a solution, but it is important recognize there are two "sides" both with very important issues and very important faults.

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5446855].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Centurian
        "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

        "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - President Ronald Reagan

        "If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions." - U.S. Government

        If we ever think the government can solve this through some legislation to be enacted by a bureaucracy, we deserve what we get.

        As Allen said, these are the same people that put Sen. Edward Kennedy on the terrorist "no fly" watch list. (Uh. Oh wait a minute...)

        Well, here's a few other agencies for consideration: Homeland Security Department, Internal Revenue Service, Environmental Protection Agency.

        Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

        These are the same people for whom the sky was falling because of:

        Cassette Tapes
        CD-Roms
        DVDs
        VCRs

        all of which ultimately created billions of extra revenue for the entertainment industry.

        But they never learn. They absolutely hate, hate, hate the Internet.

        In their eyes the Internet is another way to copy their stuff, and now Apple and Amazon are forcing a 99 cent product model down their throats.

        Since they can't control it they fight to destroy it.

        (How many times has the copyright law been amended right before Disney is about to lose protection of its earliest creations?!)

        Some of these morons already send cease & desist letters that don't know the difference between trademark and copyright, or which absurdly claim that merely mentioning their company or product on a website is somehow illegal.

        The last thing you want to do is give them leverage to destroy people's lives by letting these fools wield a new law as a weapon.


        ON THE OTHER HAND ...


        There is an endless supply of morons, idiots, and a grubby horde who would sell their mother if it meant making a nickel.

        They could care less about intellectual property and who they hurt and damage.

        If they can copy it to get a link, a search ranking, or just grab free content so they don't have to create anything on their own, they will.

        There are plenty of blackhat websites, even so-called IM sites who, lets face it, exist to copy and exchange WSOs and other digital products, to exchange passwords, to upload products for free on filing sharing sites, etc.

        It is insanity run amok. And there is seemingly nothing that can be done except spend a ridiculous amount of time and money playing whack-a-mole.

        These a-holes are hell bent on destroying the net for everyone on this forum. There is a reason why Google and others engage in wholesale bans, even if it sweeps up innocent victims. This last year we have seen more bans and restrictions from Google, Amazon, PayPal, ClickBank, Plimus, etc. And more are coming in 2012.

        They are, frankly, tired of the B.S.

        And the spam, spam, spam.

        It is, frankly, impossible (and too expensive) to try and play whack-a-mole with idiots in another country, and idiots in your own country who can easily hide and make it look like they are in another part of the world.

        Why not make it easier to simply and quickly shut down rogue websites?

        Speaking of Google, isn't it interesting they can ban websites, even whole networks such as ClickBank from Adwords, but the same websites still appear in their search results?


        Something has to give.

        I don't have a solution, but it is important recognize there are two "sides" both with very important issues and very important faults.

        .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5447123].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5446825].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author THK
    Oh thanks for pointing it out Bekah. Didn't see that before. Guess I will leave the posts alone, this thread probably will get deleted anyway
    Signature

    This is my signature!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5446849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marvin Johnston
    On the OP article, I can't help but think about how special interests are "buying" their point of view.

    As an old saying goes, life is a tragedy to those that feel, and a comedy to those that think.

    And I can't help myself, that article is hilarious!

    Marvin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5446870].message }}

Trending Topics