90% Of My Unsubscribers Say This...

by Ernie Lo 31 replies
Apart from the occasional idiot who comments saying "f--k you" etc...

Most people who unsubscribe leave the same comment.

- I'm on too many lists, can't keep up with all the emails
- Too much information, I'm on too many lists, cant make sense of it all.

Is this is a bigger issue than we realise?

No matter how careful we are about emailing too often, all the other marketers who email too frequently may be spoiling it for the rest of us, who are trying to not annoy our subscribers too much.

Of course I'm not the email god who is saying one a day or once a week etc is the right frequency...but yeah I kind of feel sorry for the newbies who are struggling to keep up with all the emails they get and each marketer has a different strategy who are pulling the subscriber in all different directions...

Is there something we can do to help the situation?

Or is it just a matter of subscribers using their own brain and selecting a few lists which relate to what they want to achieve ..ie (don't sign up for a list that's about SEO if you want to do affiliate marketing as your core business")

Just throwing around some thoughts
#main internet marketing discussion forum #90% #unsubscribers
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
    I'm on your list Ernie... I think..lol... scoots off to check mail on inbox for subscriptions....

    Anywhoo....

    I gotta admit that even if a noob don't need the mail.. they could learn a bucket load by collecting mail from other marketer's and studying it in sequence.. as I do with YOURS and many others..lol

    I do see your point.. and I just feel that we can't think too much about those marketer's that are whacking the crap out of people's mailboxes..

    Peace

    Jay
    Signature

    Bare Murkage.........

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44264].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sarah Harvey
      To be honest I would not be surprised if that is the case. For the past 4 years I have kept most IM subscriptions...although I have deleted what I could in the beginning but eventually I gave up and luckily yahoo upgraded the inbox capacity over the years so it was worth it.

      I thought I had 14000 odd emails, but shows you I haven't checked my inbox in a while... I have 20000 odd now

      See my attached screenshot if you don't believe me.

      Overall, yes, it is insane how much emails we get.


      Aargh...first time I use the attachment and its too small. Well here it is from photobucket:

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...nine/Email.gif
      Signature
      "Find the problem and provide the solution."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44269].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
        Interesting responses guys.

        I think maybe these newbies just get excited by all the promises of easy money and they become addicted and just sign up for every list/free report and read read read and then get consumed by too much information.

        I guess the smart ones will work it out eventually and filter their info and focus more.



        Yeah Sarah, it's quite crazy...I have like 14,000 emails in my inbox and Gmail says I'm using 4% total capacity Email storage has come along way.




        Originally Posted by Sarah Harvey View Post


        I thought I had 14000 odd emails, but shows you I haven't checked my inbox in a while... I have 20000 odd now
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    I've gotten so sick of websites that require my name
    and e-mail address that I routinely use a throwaway
    address so that I will not be inundated with "spam."
    What bothers me the most is the certain "gurus" who
    claim they will only email periodically and that turns
    into a daily occurrence
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44290].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KonaGirl
      Originally Posted by Monetize View Post

      I've gotten so sick of websites that require my name
      and e-mail address that I routinely use a throwaway
      address so that I will not be inundated with "spam."
      What bothers me the most is the certain "gurus" who
      claim they will only email periodically and that turns
      into a daily occurrence
      If after 2 weeks I am still getting an everyday "buy me" "buy me" email, I unsubscribe. If you are not going to take the time to send some half way decent information, you will lose me. I try very hard to do the same to my lists.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44355].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lance K
        While on the surface those may be valid reasons, there's more to it. If they are on so many lists and chose yours as one of the ones they're unsubscribing from, there must be a reason.

        Try to figure out how to make your subscribers stick by delivering content that they value. Also try to send your messages at consistent intervals.

        For example, that's why I love Rick Raddatz's "Wednesday Minute" because I know it's coming on Wednesday and it's going to be a short, valuable message.
        Signature
        "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
        ~ Zig Ziglar
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44400].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Scott Ames
          All this is bad news... for marketers. I like Lance K's comment though. Rick Raddatz's newsletter comes out on a specific day. That's certainly better than random and is a smart idea.

          I was on just about everyone's list. After thousands of emails that I never opened I started to unsub from all but a select few. Why did I keep the ones I picked? There were well known, I believe they add value and have interesting things to say. Most of the others just sent the ALOTD ( Affiliate link of the day) to me.
          Signature

          Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. -Winston Churchill

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44559].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author macchiavelli
            I get bombarded with emails everyday trying to force me to buy something.
            I get at least 1 mail a day from the guys at adwordtycoons.com so I just unsubscribed.
            It became annoying very fast.

            I unsubscribed from all IM lists except for John Reese's and therichjerk.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44571].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author AndrewCavanagh
              Yes. I don't get a whole lot of unsubscribes but right after "I'm double subscribed" this is the most common comment.

              I think in the Internet Marketing niche it is a problem and you have to work VERY hard to make sure your emails are worth reading and lead to valuable content a large percentage of the time.

              If you're just sending blatant pitch after pitch your list will become less and less responsive and you'll get a ton of unsubscribes.

              Having said all that once you get outside the internet marketing niche this problem usually disappears.

              Very few other niches have a whole pile of aggressive online marketers collecting email addresses and following up by email.

              Kindest regards,
              Andrew Cavanagh
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44608].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
                I recently decided to focus on one area and that is my local offline businesses and helping them get a presence on the internet.

                When I made that decision a few months ago I went through every email that came in (am still doing it but not as much now) and hit unsubscribe if it was not anything that might help me with what I had finally decided was my direction.

                BUT because I now understand so much more about the IMers world I always put "refocusing" as my reason for unsubbing because I want them to realize its nothing personal, they have not pissed me off but I was on too many lists and now I need to be only on the ones that will help me.

                I don't have time to type that each time so more often than not, I just put "refocusing my business".

                Hope that is helpful from another angle

                Sue
                Signature
                One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
                Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44634].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Carlsbadd
                Originally Posted by AndrewCavanagh View Post

                Yes. I don't get a whole lot of unsubscribes but right after "I'm double subscribed" this is the most common comment.

                I think in the Internet Marketing niche it is a problem and you have to work VERY hard to make sure your emails are worth reading and lead to valuable content a large percentage of the time.

                If you're just sending blatant pitch after pitch your list will become less and less responsive and you'll get a ton of unsubscribes.

                Having said all that once you get outside the internet marketing niche this problem usually disappears.

                Very few other niches have a whole pile of aggressive online marketers collecting email addresses and following up by email.

                Kindest regards,
                Andrew Cavanagh

                Andrew,
                You are one of the few mails I get that are useful to me most of the time.

                I am on a lot of lists but have been narrowing it down a little due to to many offers and not enough content
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45332].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by Lance K View Post

          While on the surface those may be valid reasons, there's more to it. If they are on so many lists and chose yours as one of the ones they're unsubscribing from, there must be a reason.

          Try to figure out how to make your subscribers stick by delivering content that they value. Also try to send your messages at consistent intervals.
          I can give you one clue why I unsubscribe from lists. I sign up for one thing and get something else completely.

          If I buy something from you, and opt in to your product update list, I expect product updates. I can even embrace an offer that's an add-on to what you sold me. For example, I own the RAP script and the $7 script. I don't mind getting pitches for add-ons because they are directly related to the original product.

          If I buy something from you, and opt in for your product update list, and all I get is a steady stream of cookie cutter affiliate messages from your "close personal friends", I'm going to be rightfully angry because you lied to me. Not only that, if your product is worthwhile, I'm a hostage on your list because I still need to get the product updates should there ever be any.

          The reason stated may be "too many emails", but the real reason is "too many useless emails."
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44635].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kat Bartone
            I would echo John's sentiments - that's often what happens to me as well, and is my main reason for unsubscribing.

            When I optin for updates, and then get nothing but sales pitches, I'm gone.

            When I optin for a free report, and hope to get some targeted, relevant information by staying on the list - again, when I get little more than more sales pitches, I'm gone.

            There are some marketers out there whose list I do remain on because in addition to a sales pitch, I get valuable information.

            Yes, there's a place for the 'sales pitch' - that's part of why we do this. But I'll only stay on if there's something in it for me, if there is some evidence that you don't have only your interests in mind, but mine as well. (I'm talking about the generic 'you', as I'm not familiar with your newsletter in particular - ;-) )

            AND - it helps if the content is edgy and unique, not the usual stuff I already get from lots of different sources.

            Hope this helps...

            - Kat Bartone
            Signature

            Your search for the perfect WordPress theme is over. Here it is.

            Coming soon: Compelling Content from the PLR Article Wizard

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44744].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author HeySal
            Do I ever agree with that, John.

            I am on NO lists right now - I used to be on several but it got to the point that I was getting several emails a day from many of them, and most were just blatant advertising with no informational content whatsoever. And on top of those were the several that were "oops" I heard people weren't getting this email so I resent" (?!)

            One day I just said enough was enough and unsubscribed to every one of them. Actually, I don't miss much - if I want to know something there is always google where I can get actual info that accompanies the advertisements.

            I think anyone who calls email advertising "newsletter" needs a reality check. None of us are good enough to push products daily without some sort of value given if we want to keep our reputations in line.

            I have seen several "gurus" going downhill because of their assumption that once a buyer is on a list they will keep buying as long as you put a product in front of their faces. Maybe after you reach a certain wealth point what people start to think of you doesn't matter. But once the masses become disillusioned by the egotism of multi-ad emailing
            it hurts everyone trying to keep a long term, well oiled business running.

            I won't keep my name on a list that I am not truly interested in receiving mail from now. I'm not going to help someone JV deals via their list size if I don't really LIKE the emails.
            Signature

            Sal
            New PLR - Disaster prep duo report pkg: The Art of the Graceful Bug out, and Preparing Pets for a Disaster. - PM me for report details.
            Quality PLR Ebooks and Reports:
            Mind/Language - Weight, - Pet/Dog - Disaster - 2011 Earthquake Report - Hair Care

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tm
    I think partly your unsubscribers may well just be using a common excuse for unsubscribing.

    The other problem I find is that I end up on people's lists more than once, when I have opted in for different things from different pages, I always use a unique email address for each optin - partly so I can file emails properly and partly so I can see if my email address has been sold for spam. I think that is more annoying than anything else.

    I do also somewhat agree that the marketers who bombard people are making it a difficult playing field for the rest of us, but that is an issue we can do little about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44303].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sparrow
      I think this is the case, I too have started unsubscribing to list.

      Almost all of the list I get on start off with a great reason to get on their list, then after a while they start pimping the next great thing.

      This qualifies them to be unsubscribed.

      I got on their list to get away from the herd

      I am on the gurus list, so if Frank Kern is pushing the next greatest thing I hear from him, not 20 other people telling me or trying to bribe me.

      So I think, if you separate yourself from the crowd and offer something different, I am hoping my loyal list will stay with me since I am providing value that others don't.

      By the way my inbox is real quite the noise is gone, its amazing. I get to hear only from who I want to see email from.

      Ed
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44340].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tuzic
    Banned
    Hi,

    well i think people should only subscribe to important lists! as then they will recieve emails that are worth readin rather than just being ignored or deleting.

    Its such a waste if its not productive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44865].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simon_Sezs
      If you aren't on lists and are marketing online, then you are really missing out on potential ad copy, good and bad. Which kind of makes me wonder how big is your list (really) once you factor out all the IMers who are subscribing to you to see what you are doing....

      On a separate but similar note, personally I think that, apart from the lists that are going after sales by volume, the best model is to have a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly newsletter with actual information that your subscribers can digest and that has value.

      Tie your pitch into a story, a tutorial, or something similar so that the pitch doesn't sound like a pitch but more like a punchline. I know of a couple warriors on this forum that actually do this and I would be willing to bet that they have lists that not only can't wait for their email but that also get response rates that are through the roof.

      Most people have no savvy when it comes to promotion. They think that the way to get sales is to do just mindless promotion. It works if you have a large list but you won't be building a rapid fan base.
      Signature
      "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." Ben Franklin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44905].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        On lists outside the IM area - gardening, pets, credit, cooking - I receive regularly spaced emails or newsletters with good, in depth info and the occasional promotion. The items promoted are given space in the newsletter but are not the total focus of the emails. The result is that I often buy their products - and I think of that person when looking for a product in that market.

        Totally missing in those niches are the "you gotta see this!", "get this now!", and countless cloned emails of "my friend, XXX, just released..."

        Two days ago I signed up for an "email info series" in the IM area. Since then, I've received SEVEN emails from the marketer. Each email has promoted a different product - from ebay to list building - to "fast money" ebooks - and promises that "the info you requested is coming soon".

        Sorry, dude - not soon enough. I just unsubscribed. There is no value in allowing someone to just blindly send me one promo after another - and nothing I want to learn from that person.

        The money is in the list only if you have a plan for building a responsive list. Only in IM do I see people who consider building a list as blasting emails constantly aimed at "buy, buy, buy" with no info of value being shared.

        I know some marketers claim they send fast and furious promotion emails to every signup. It may work for some but it's not a great strategy if you want a long term list.

        The people at the other end of your email are REAL - not just a bunch of email addresses. Treat them with respect and they'll reward you. Are your emails written to a person? or to a wallet?

        kay
        Signature

        Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45043].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rahails
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44922].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JulianHyde
        i also realize this situation..
        some people thought that these emails is nuisance because they got so many emails from so many IM..(even that was coz they are subcribing)
        i thing we cannot control that..
        for me, if they unsubcribe, just leave it..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[44937].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jelasco
          I wouldn't worry about it. If they are getting too much mail from others, you can't do anything about that.

          It's more like they felt a need to explain why they unsubscribed. Would you rather have them say your emails suck or they don't like you?

          Sometimes people lose interest in the general topic or just want to reduce the amount of mail they get and aren't going to go through a long analysis, just remove themselves from some lists.

          I would ignore those comments since they provide no useful feedback about you or your list.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45000].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author southbaybones
    Hi,

    I think it comes back to providing valuable content to your list.

    - You sign up for a list because of the valuable freebie offered.

    - The next thing you know, you're hit daily with offers from the list owner on products, services or software that they haven't probably even tried themselves. They're just promoting it because it brings in good commissions for them. (I can understand if you're a beta tester for these products, but you can't be a beta tester for them all especially if they have just come out. How could you, there is no way for you to get anything done in your own business if you're constantly sending out emails promoting the latest greatest thing. Or, is that your business, just sending out offers everyday.)

    Adding to the above, mister list owner, why don't you try out the product first and tell me your experience with it and then I will make the decision to purchase it or not.

    - Another thing I see happening is the "cookie cutter" email promos. (i.e. The cut and paste email that the product owner provides to its affiliates. I get the same email from 10-20 people or more.)

    - Some of it is information overload. It's happened to me. With so many different business models in Internet Marketing, it's easily confusing for a newbie. One list owner says start a list, another says do bum marketing, another says setup a blog, and then another says start a membership site, and the list goes on and on.

    So they key for a newbie is FOCUS. But how can you actually do that by being pulled in so many different directions.

    What I have done is unsubscribed from a lot of lists because of the things I have mentioned above and have really started focusing on building a business. It has helped tremendously.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Take care,

    South Bay Bones

    P.S. If a list owner wants feedback on why I unsubscribed from there list, I tell them. If enough people who unsubscribe provide feedback to the list owner, maybe they will change their strategy. If not, then they will keep getting unsubscribers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45142].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tommyp
    For me in non IM niches what I usually get is "I'm sorry but I just wanted some information and that's all" or the most common is "I'm leaving because I just don't have time"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45278].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author drr
      What would be interesting is if a "pay per email sent" model came in (as I believe was being discussed by some providers a while ago).

      On the surface this would seem to be disasterous for IM'ers but (assuming it was a pretty nominal fee) it may cut a lot of the number of newsletters in circulation which could actually increase your profits as long as you manage your list right. It may turn into a situation where you would have to selectively add people to your lists from those that wanted to join.

      It would also get rid of spammers with one slice of the blade. What do you think?
      __________________
      Free Resell Rights, PLR, Software, IM Videos, Source Code & More:
      Click Here
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45317].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
        Ernie,

        I would be interested to know what percentage of subscribers actually bother giving a reason.

        When someone pisses me off I unsubscribe and don't give a reason. Why should I give them valuable marketing information when they don't deserve it?

        On the bright side, at least your unsubscribers had enough respect for you to take time to explain their decision.

        Martin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45348].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
          Great point, thats the way I see it too.

          I don't really know the percentage that leave a comment, I'd say most do not. I get an unsubscriber email notification only when someone leaves a unsub comment.


          Originally Posted by Martin Luxton View Post

          Ernie,
          at least your unsubscribers had enough respect for you to take time to explain their decision.

          Martin
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45383].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bruce NewMedia
            While I do unsubscribe to some lists, I try to stay on as many as possible.

            As a marketer I WANT to see what other marketers are doing (good and bad)....To me this is part of my job.

            One thing I started doing this year is take a moment to evalute exactly WHY i'm dropping a particular email newsletter. Sometimes its because of too much BAD selling, not just 'selling' per se. If the selling effort is blended well into the overall message, I appreciate it and learn something from it. (see Willie Crawfords emails for an example).

            If I quickly drop an emailer, I again note the reason why. I'm trying to define specifically and identify what caused me to drop. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake to my subscribers.

            Ironically, there are some marketers I wish would send MORE emails, as their info and even the offers are usually pretty good.
            ____________
            Bruce
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45457].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author X
              With all due respect, good marketers don't sell
              what they want to sell - they sell what the
              people want to buy.

              The same logic follows email follow-up: what you
              like or not is meaningless.

              Maybe there is a limit to the life of the
              relationship with people on your list.

              Maybe they're not going to be with you
              indefinitely.

              Maybe you need to take action with the now -
              and never stop adding new people to your list.

              I say "maybe" but that's not what I mean.

              Read what I really mean here:
              http://www.warriorforum.com/blogs/x/...e-belongs.html
              Signature
              The Affiliate Black Book
              The Inside Nasty on How to Kick the Snot Out of a Google Cash affiliate.

              Black Books Blog: No Cow is Too Sacred
              The Death of Crap: Crap Dies Slowly
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45528].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author TJ Kazunga
                I think Kay said it best, it's all about quality. End of the day, who cares whether other marketers are blasting their lists 7 times in 2 days (WTF!??!), cream always rises to the top right? I will carry on providing not only good content, but also what I promised my subscribers at sign up. People will unsubscribe but over time a responsive list will still be built - it may take longer but that's cool.
                Signature

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[45580].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics