What is your number one distraction when you sit down to work on your Internet business?

32 replies
Are all Internet marketers ADD? Or maybe it's just me. curious what your number one distractions are when you sit down to work on your online business.

Here are my top ones:

-Thinking I need to go refill my coffee cup when it's half full
-Facebook was one, but I took it down..Feels really amazing, seriously try it
-Silence...time to search for some music so I can work even harder
-Women

The last one I usually don't mind though

What are your biggest distractions? After all the first step to change is becoming aware of what they are. Here's to kicking ass in 2012!
#business #distraction #internet #number #sit #work
  • Profile picture of the author kiwiviktor81
    Mine is weed. I get heaps of good ideas from it but find it hard to do any work for the rest of the day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
    Nate This should get some warriors thinking for sure... I still think that Distractions are one of the Top 3 reason's warriors can't make money online or succeed.

    Why?
    They are to busy doing other things instead of staying laser targeted and focused on the task at hand. One of the things I always suggest to anyone seasoned or not is to create a Weekly working plan... After 18 years Offline and 8 Online i still take 45 minutes every Sunday night and set up my work schedule for the week...

    I prioritize the tasks... but my #1 option for the week.. will be tasks that do one thing and one thing only... RPA = Revenue Producing Activity and that daily time frame is Non-Negotiable. It takes time to get in these types of habits but once you do... Production can go up 400 to 800% overnight, Income Skyrockets and the time at work Goes down Dramatically.

    With that being said... My biggest distractions are...

    MY WIFE - She builds Mega Authority sites and is always asking me questions in regards to metrics, analytics and SEO.

    My Kids - Even at 16 and 20 they always need something...

    Outside of that... SKYPE is #3 since people think they can just ring my skype any old time because they are not busy. So i turn if off as much as possible...or IGNORE calls.

    Good Idea to get warriors thinking here NATE...

    To Your Continued Kick Ass Success in 2012
    Regards,
    Robert
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478128].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author natebunger
      Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

      Nate This should get some warriors thinking for sure... I still think that Distractions are one of the Top 3 reason's warriors can't make money online or succeed.

      Why?
      They are to busy doing other things instead of staying laser targeted and focused on the task at hand. One of the things I always suggest to anyone seasoned or not is to create a Weekly working plan... After 18 years Offline and 8 Online i still take 45 minutes every Sunday night and set up my work schedule for the week...

      I love that you prioritize tasks part... but my #1 option for the week.. will be tasks that do one thing and one thing only... RPA = Revenue Producing Activity and that daily time frame is Non-Negotiable. It takes time to get in these types of habits but once you do... Production can go up 400 to 800% overnight, Income Skyrockets and the time at work Goes down Dramatically.

      With that being said... My biggest distractions are...

      MY WIFE - She builds Mega Authority sites and is always asking me questions in regards to metrics, analytics and SEO.

      My Kids - Even at 16 and 20 they always need something...

      Outside of that... SKYPE is #3 since people think they can just ring my skype any old time because they are not busy. So i turn if off as much as possible...or IGNORE calls.

      Good Idea to get warriors thinking here NATE...

      To Your Continued Kick Ass Success in 2012
      Regards,
      Robert
      I love the prioritizing tasks. It's so interesting actually, because I've had several offline businesses over the years and found I was very productive, and had a similiar habit of writing down my to do list the night before. Even if I was in bed asleep and happend to forget, I would force myself to wake up and empty my mind.

      But for some reason it's taken longer to evolve to that level of thinking for my online business. I would say I am about 50/50 right now with prioritizing. The other 50, or at least another 30% focus is my main goal in 2012. Thanks Robert, that's inspiring
      Signature
      ##ATTENTION##

      Do You Hate Writing Sales Copy?

      I create killer copy for squeeze pages, video scripts, email auto-responders and sales pages. Click here to see reviews.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478194].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tnleverett
        I must confess...

        1. The Warrior Forum

        I spend way too much time reading!!!

        T
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478225].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ksmusselman
          Originally Posted by tnleverett View Post

          I must confess...

          1. The Warrior Forum

          I spend way too much time reading!!!

          T
          I was doing that too, but I ended up with way too much information overload, confusion, exasperation, you name it... wasn't very productive. :rolleyes:
          Signature
          Do You Vape? Submit a Guest Post! SmokersLogicEcigs.com
          Info Blog about Ecigs & Personal Vaporizers
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478236].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ksmusselman
        YouTube...

        Not for fun, though, mind you. I've lately gotten almost addicted to YouTube tutorials for just about anything I need to know how to do and need to know it quickly.

        But then I just end up browsing all over the site for other ways to do what I already learned how to do, just to see if someone else knows how to do it faster ...

        ... which defeats the purpose because in the time it took to find a way to do it faster, I could have had it done already!!!

        But then other times my endless browsing ends up being pretty fruitful, like yesterday when I found a new way to apply some cool tricks to one of my current lame sites to make it more profitable.

        But yeah ... YouTube. :rolleyes:
        Signature
        Do You Vape? Submit a Guest Post! SmokersLogicEcigs.com
        Info Blog about Ecigs & Personal Vaporizers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shaynjordan
    My top 3:

    1) Myself ---- I have so many ideas and things I want to do in my head, I just don't know how to set it all up.
    2) My kids ---- Which is why I am up late tonight working on writing and a free ecourse
    3) TV ----- I used to watch so many shows and over the last year I have cut out a ton of shows so I could focus on my business and networking more
    Signature
    Are You Working In Your Passion?
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." - Albert Einstein
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nickdamodda
    Girls trying to skype me, Facebook, Xbox but I'm a underage at the moment. Once I'm 18 and start hiring, I will definitely be in an office as a lot of people find it more of a productive environment and I wont have all of those things there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478216].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danlew
    The number one distraction when I'm working is browsing other things that are not related to my work, and Skype too. For example, if I'm working on my stuff and have opened a Facebook in my browser's tab, it keeps me distracted and I just close the tab. The same thing goes to Skype, which my friends keep chatting on me (sometimes called), so I just shut it down for a while.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478217].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author natebunger
      Originally Posted by danlew View Post

      The number one distraction when I'm working is browsing other things that are not related to my work, and Skype too. For example, if I'm working on my stuff and have opened a Facebook in my browser's tab, it keeps me distracted and I just close the tab. The same thing goes to Skype, which my friends keep chatting on me (sometimes called), so I just shut it down for a while.
      I just made a thread on how I took down my Facebook as part of a 90 day challenge to myself..Check it out, you might be interested in testing the same idea

      Here is a link to the thread

      http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post5478214
      Signature
      ##ATTENTION##

      Do You Hate Writing Sales Copy?

      I create killer copy for squeeze pages, video scripts, email auto-responders and sales pages. Click here to see reviews.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478233].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
        Originally Posted by natebunger View Post

        I just made a thread on how I took down my Facebook as part of a 90 day challenge to myself..Check it out, you might be interested in testing the same idea

        Here is a link to the thread

        http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post5478214
        Nate,

        Your so welcome... It was a huge shift too me when I came online to work 8 or 9 years ago... and once in awhile it still does... The Facebook challenge you can do it... I allow myself on facebook once a week 10 minutes only and more than likely will just get rid of the acct shortly. But that is something I started about 7 weeks ago.

        I can share with you... The more you can prioritize online like you did offline your income grows at the Quantum level. Getting 5 extra hours of work a week without distractions might mean an increase as much as 100% in weekly Income... Mine rose Significantly more than that.

        I can't recommend the Sunday night Game Plan enough... Try it as a 90 day challenge and see where your Income is at... I bet you will fall off your chair.... I can get an extra 3 sites a week done... with that 5 hrs. Thats 12 sites a month...and they are worth anywhere from $100 to $600 dollars a month each. In 3 to 4 years when the Internet Doubles in size the value should Quadruple... as more an more people get comfortable buying online.

        Hope this gets your brain thinking some to the Possibilities...

        Regards,
        Robert
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478269].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Targeted Traffic
          calls..sms...emails...yeah im important :p

          and then I cant help but open WF and browse around
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478291].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author natebunger
          Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

          Nate,

          Your so welcome... It was a huge shift too me when I came online to work 8 or 9 years ago... and once in awhile it still does... The Facebook challenge you can do it... I allow myself on facebook once a week 10 minutes only and more than likely will just get rid of the acct shortly. But that is something I started about 7 weeks ago.

          I can share with you... The more you can prioritize online like you did offline your income grows at the Quantum level. Getting 5 extra hours of work a week without distractions might mean an increase as much as 100% in weekly Income... Mine rose Significantly more than that.

          I can't recommend the Sunday night Game Plan enough... Try it as a 90 day challenge and see where your Income is at... I bet you will fall off your chair.... I can get an extra 3 sites a week done... with that 5 hrs. Thats 12 sites a month...and they are worth anywhere from $100 to $600 dollars a month each. In 3 to 4 years when the Internet Doubles in size the value should Quadruple... as more an more people get comfortable buying online.

          Hope this gets your brain thinking some to the Possibilities...

          Regards,
          Robert
          Definitely got me thinking Robert...I've already seen amazing results in the last week without FB. Sounds like you guys are doing good, keep it up bud
          Signature
          ##ATTENTION##

          Do You Hate Writing Sales Copy?

          I create killer copy for squeeze pages, video scripts, email auto-responders and sales pages. Click here to see reviews.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesrich1
    My biggest distraction is Yahoo. I never open my mail until I am done with everything I want to do for the day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478247].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author natebunger
      Originally Posted by jamesrich1 View Post

      My biggest distraction is Yahoo. I never open my mail until I am done with everything I want to do for the day.
      Thats some amazing discipline dude...I might have to try that one
      Signature
      ##ATTENTION##

      Do You Hate Writing Sales Copy?

      I create killer copy for squeeze pages, video scripts, email auto-responders and sales pages. Click here to see reviews.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    big booby bikini babes.......

    I know which warrior is using these on PPV ads, and dude, it is distracting. ha ha LOL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nethead01
    id rather brainstorm than work lol i need to figure out how to do both
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478306].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author natebunger
      Originally Posted by nethead01 View Post

      id rather brainstorm than work lol i need to figure out how to do both
      I rather read than work...brainstormings fun too, I love journaling about all the stuff Im gonna do, haha
      Signature
      ##ATTENTION##

      Do You Hate Writing Sales Copy?

      I create killer copy for squeeze pages, video scripts, email auto-responders and sales pages. Click here to see reviews.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478316].message }}
  • Mine is Facebook, Skype and my Wife LOL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dejrasfans
    Good Question. Mine is not always the same.

    *Some days its my 4 cats, and 2 dogs.

    *searching the web for something better.

    *I was on facebook for many hours a day and people wanted to chat while i wanted to work. I just stopped opening it. I checked on it later saw over 500 friend requests and it was too much work to use facebook for solid marketing. there are too many distractions on FB

    *Being at home with my office unfinished
    Signature

    Read the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dannicash
    Originally Posted by natebunger View Post

    Are all Internet marketers ADD? Or maybe it's just me. curious what your number one distractions are when you sit down to work on your online business.

    Here are my top ones:

    -Thinking I need to go refill my coffee cup when it's half full
    -Facebook was one, but I took it down..Feels really amazing, seriously try it
    -Silence...time to search for some music so I can work even harder
    -Women

    The last one I usually don't mind though

    What are your biggest distractions? After all the first step to change is becoming aware of what they are. Here's to kicking ass in 2012!
    Mine is youtube!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478621].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    There are so many distractions on the internet. I think this is one of the most difficult aspects of doing an online job. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and thousands of time killing games are just a few clicks away. WF can be distracting too, but I tend to learn at least one new thing every time I visit!
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    The internet is. Ads ect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert X
    The Warrior Forum,,,

    And,,,, That damn idiot box,,, except they're flat now and hang on the wall but,,, you know what I mean
    Signature

    [

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jerome15
    when my wife ask me to do some household chores : )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5478731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hamzidosh
    Mine is WF!!!
    Its a distraction I dont bother about though because I've finally learnt to control it from here!
    Signature

    For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479229].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ben Armstrong
      The one I've probably struggled with is doubt.

      Is what I'm doing really the best way to get the results I want?

      Maybe I should research another way to do it?

      What if I spend all this time doing this just to find out it doesn't work?


      Eventually I discovered that even if I was doing something wrong, it was best to see it through until I had concrete evidence one way or the other. Otherwise I'd just end up doing a half arsed job of 200 different things and no idea which ones were actually effective.

      I still often find some of the tasks boring and repetitive but at least now I know what works and can see it through to the end.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ProScribe
    I closed my Facebook account because that is a massive time suck.

    I once had a brief flirtation with gaming, I bought the playstation 2 and got GTA, it was awesome, I spent hours on it. I realised nothing was getting done, I sold it a week later.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479310].message }}
  • DEFINETLY 100% FACEBOOK.

    One of my client gets his reviews to his facebook page, and each time I sign in to collect them for distribution, I end up in a political squabble, or some other social nonsense, and before I know it, and hour or even THREE HOURS will have past...


    SMH, I should take OP's advice and delete that crap. Unfortunately, as I said, I am required for the scenario I mentioned for one of my clients.
    Signature




    Have a Wonderful Day!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479319].message }}

Trending Topics