Controlling "EYEBALLS" on the Internet... The Money is NOT in the LIST!!!

by BrashImpact 39 replies
I wanted to share some basic thoughts and at the same time get your input...

Internet Marketing is not hard if you can understand one simple philosophy,
"Controlling Eyeballs on the Internet" with...

Affiliates
Article Syndication - Thank You Myob (Paul)
Email List
Sniper Sites
Organic Traffic
PPC Traffic
Ezine Ads
Joint Ventures
Authority Sites
Url's in your Products
Product Creation
Direct Mailers with a Call to action Online
SMS Texting Lists
Videos - Thanks to Robbdogg30 for the Mention below

The list is endless... I argue that money is not "In the List"... In fact it has no bearing on your monthly income... What does matter is the amount of "Eyeballs or Traffic" you control on a daily basis... If you look deep down into the heart of Internet Marketing you will find one thing of commonality...

The people or marketers who control the most eyeballs make the most money day in and day out... It's that simple...

So what are your favorite ways to "Control Eyeballs"
Yes it's time to get to the bottom of the Controversy... If you disagree with this Theory please share with us why?

Mine is hands down Keyword Rich Domain Sniper Sites followed by Product Creation... Whats Yours?

Update - after 33 posts... "So far the hands down winner is Email Lists, Now after reading some of these amazing posts, what are we missing here? So far this has been one of the Most enlightening threads on WF for awhile for me..." WHY? It shows that almost every marketer who has replied to this post is Linear thinking... The Email List... When we should be thinking about Vertical expansion across the entire network called the INTERNET... Please Post your thoughts and comments... All are appreciated.
Robert
#main internet marketing discussion forum #controlling #eyeballs #internet #list #money
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    My favorite way to control eyeballs is email marketing... It gives me some personal one-on-one time with my subscribers. I deliver my message in different ways such as right in the email, PDF download, video, audio... I like to change it up to constantly give those eyeballs something different so they don't start wandering...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5496806].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kim Roach
      Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

      My favorite way to control eyeballs is email marketing... It gives me some personal one-on-one time with my subscribers. I deliver my message in different ways such as right in the email, PDF download, video, audio... I like to change it up to constantly give those eyeballs something different so they don't start wandering...
      I agree Mike!

      Email marketing is one of the best ways to control 'EYEBALLS'.
      Signature
      (Blog Traffic Checklist) - How to Generate 1,000+ Visitors to EVERY New Blog Post You Create...

      12-Step Traffic Checklist


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5496976].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
        Originally Posted by quiescen View Post

        Love the list. But ... the money is really in your OFFER. Is it good? If not, you're probably leaving money on the table. Test over and over again. It's the second most (I think the most) important thing to test on your site according to ze experts.
        Quiescen,
        I have to totally disagree on that one...Sorry, adsense is not an offer... I do agree however you can always leave money on the table no how good it is or how good we are. Your offer is worthless if no one is seeing it...and in the age of technology you want as many people to see it as possible from as many different sources as you can... Testing is used on this forum a lot but so few actually do it...

        Thanks for the input..
        Robert

        Originally Posted by Kim Roach View Post

        I agree Mike!

        Email marketing is one of the best ways to control 'EYEBALLS'.
        Kim,
        You, Mike and Steve all about email... my qustion then would be, How much of Market share are you missing or losing with all the other sources out there... Thoughts?

        Robert
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497055].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steve McBride
          Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

          Kim,
          You, Mike and Steve all about email... my qustion then would be, How much of Market share are you missing or losing with all the other sources out there... Thoughts?

          Robert
          Just wanted to chime in here again. For me personally, I try all sorts of traffic sources to get people to my squeeze page. The more the better. Then I just apply that old 80/20 rule. I figure out which 20% of sources is providing 80% of my traffic and I focus on those sources as much as possible. I don't stop with the other sources, I just don't put as much effort into the ones that have smaller results.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497116].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
            Originally Posted by Steve McBride View Post

            Just wanted to chime in here again. For me personally, I try all sorts of traffic sources to get people to my squeeze page. The more the better. Then I just apply that old 80/20 rule. I figure out which 20% of sources is providing 80% of my traffic and I focus on those sources as much as possible. I don't stop with the other sources, I just don't put as much effort into the ones that have smaller results.
            Steve,
            Very well put my friend... the old 80/20 rule is still THE RULE!!! Funny you bring this up, its so rare in the forum..someone is going to learn from this right here... Well Said..

            Robert
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497140].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
          Enjoying this thread...thanks, Robert and all who've contributed.

          Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

          Sorry, adsense is not an offer...
          Ah. I was with you up 'til this.

          I think you stated the above to disprove the notion that the money was in the offer. But if you run Adsense ads (or any advertising) as your main monetization method, your website is actually the offer - and your customers are the advertisers. In that sense, the money is certainly in the offer; specifically the user experience enjoyed by your visitors on behalf of your advertisers.

          On the subject of the list; there's no doubt that a responsive subscriber base can be very lucrative and many top level marketers are clearly successful with such a business model. One problem I have with it is the lack of scalability.

          Others may find it easy to manage multiple lists, but in my experience, trying to run a different list for each niche you're in just gets too cumbersome - unless it's just for the short to medium term. And if you concentrate on only one niche enough to build an authoritative reputation, you're necessarily identifying yourself with your business. You become the brand, in effect.

          That can be fine - and obviously works well for many marketers. But it might be an obstacle if you should ever want to diversify or sell the business.

          Ultimately, of course, it comes down to the method you're most comfortable with and what you want to achieve in the longer term.


          Frank
          Signature
          I've just put Richard Branson's number on speed-dial. I call it my "Get-Rich-Quick" scheme.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497712].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
            Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

            I disagree with both concepts. It's a good cliche, but saying the money is in the list or the eyeballs doesn't tell the whole story. I say the Money is in the "Niche".

            For example,
            • I know many people who have a "mailing list" but make little or no money from it.
            • I know ads that can grab "eyeballs" but can't convert.
            But there's few businesses, products or people who dominate a strong and lucrative niche who can't make money.

            That's why I say ... "The Money is in the Niche!"
            This wasn't about Ad's or Niches... Its about controlling eyeballs, statistics have proven... Whoever controls the most eyeballs controls the game... Just ask any of the TOP 10 Websites on the Internet...

            Originally Posted by hmartin90 View Post

            I have to agree with the people who talk about the content. There are several people that email me that I always read their emails because they are full of great content and no just offers. I am new to this game, but I try to see what I like and begin a path toward it. Although, I need to fine tune my traffic generating abilities considering my lack of a list
            I would agree to the extent of content... and if your on a great list with the original list provider providing killer content it is priceless... Ask Mike Hill he has a great Content List... The main thing i want people to really understand and at least get on the radar with... at the end of the day if you want to make money online you want to scale your ability to control eyeballs... Thanks for the input...
            Robert

            Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

            Enjoying this thread...thanks, Robert and all who've contributed.



            Ah. I was with you up 'til this.

            I think you stated the above to disprove the notion that the money was in the offer. But if you run Adsense ads (or any advertising) as your main monetization method, your website is actually the offer - and your customers are the advertisers. In that sense, the money is certainly in the offer; specifically the user experience enjoyed by your visitors on behalf of your advertisers.

            On the subject of the list; there's no doubt that a responsive subscriber base can be very lucrative and many top level marketers are clearly successful with such a business model. One problem I have with it is the lack of scaleability.

            Others may find it easy to manage multiple lists, but in my experience, trying to run a different list for each niche you're in just gets too cumbersome - unless it's just for the short to medium term. And if you concentrate on only one niche enough to build an authoritative reputation, you're necessarily identifying yourself with your business. You become the brand, in effect.

            That can be fine - and obviously works well for many marketers. But it might be an obstacle if you should ever want to diversify or sell the business.

            Ultimately, of course, it comes down to the method you're most comfortable with and what you want to achieve in the longer term.


            Frank
            Frank,
            You have some very very valid points... The one i really vibe with is lack of scalability. It's virtually impossible to scale a list... and managing all kinds of lists for different niches would be almost impossible, i like to think i am a pretty sharp guy, i for one would have a very hard time maintaining a good list in every niche we work in... I think we are over 40 Plus Niches at this point...

            Frank you talk about selling the business... Now you have gone an opened a can of worms... I for one truly doubt most people in IM go into the IM game with a Strategic Exit Strategy for their business. With that being said, one has to think its slavery to a higher paying JOB!

            If I could implore warriors, it would be to create a Strategic Action Plan followed by a creative Strategic Exit Strategy.

            Thanks for taking the time to Input Frank I appreciate it.

            Robert
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497900].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashtree
      Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

      My favorite way to control eyeballs is email marketing... It gives me some personal one-on-one time with my subscribers. I deliver my message in different ways such as right in the email, PDF download, video, audio... I like to change it up to constantly give those eyeballs something different so they don't start wandering...
      Haha, nice follow up. To the OP the money is definitely in the list because it gives you a direct line to customers anytime you want, where as other methods you usually have to rely on them coming to you. Now the money isn't *just in the list, but it is in the list.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5498382].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
        Originally Posted by ethinoze View Post

        I'd say the best way of controlling eyeballs, by far the easiest, cheapest and effective is emailing.i only discard new emails if the title doesnt attract me,on the other hand, i read every email in my inbox that pertains to my interests,more so if from a trusted source.
        That was the whole point...Trying to get everyone to take off their MY HAT and look at from the average Internet Users perspective... Thanks for your input..

        Originally Posted by IM Leauge View Post

        Make sure your emails subject line grabs your prospects attention. Try emailmarketingtycoon.com/
        This would apply to any type of marketing in the fact you are after a very specific CALL TO ACTION - Steering the Prospect or visitor in the direction you want... Thanks for you Reponse.

        Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

        Haha, nice follow up. To the OP the money is definitely in the list because it gives you a direct line to customers anytime you want, where as other methods you usually have to rely on them coming to you. Now the money isn't *just in the list, but it is in the list.
        Yes Mike had a great follow up...however my question to you then would be... How is the Money Always in the List... We make a fantastic Income and its not from our list? A list is like an ATM totally agree, however a Site is like owning the BANK... or a Network of Banks... I would rather Own the Banks than the ATM... Just sayin... Relying on other methods is not only smart business but makes sense... Why put all your eggs in one basket, as in this case your list?

        Thanks for your Input...
        Robert
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5498466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve McBride
    You make a good point, but the reason everyone says the money is in the list is because it's the easiest, and cheapest way to "control eyeballs." Not only can you get eyeballs whenever you need to, but you can regularly get the same eyeballs over and over, and many of these eyeballs may have bought from you before.

    ...eyeballs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5496838].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fin
      I think the money is in the trust between yourself and your visitors.

      I know where I spend my money.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5496879].message }}
      • For me it is definitely SEO. Highly targeted traffic from search engines to your site is potent. I agree that email marketing is also key, and I am currently branching out into PPC a lot more in 2012.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5498537].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
      Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

      My favorite way to control eyeballs is email marketing... It gives me some personal one-on-one time with my subscribers. I deliver my message in different ways such as right in the email, PDF download, video, audio... I like to change it up to constantly give those eyeballs something different so they don't start wandering...
      Mike,
      Okay so your vote is email marketing...are you using other sources to control eyeballs? and with the Open rate of email now a days are you finding the list needs to be a whole lot bigger for the same Income? Would you make more money Targeting some other viable techniques? Just thinking out of the box for you... What if you had 2 authority sites getting 50,000 uniques a month each, how would that compare to email?

      Originally Posted by Steve McBride View Post

      You make a good point, but the reason everyone says the money is in the list is because it's the easiest, and cheapest way to "control eyeballs." Not only can you get eyeballs whenever you need to, but you can regularly get the same eyeballs over and over, and many of these eyeballs may have bought from you before.

      ...eyeballs.
      Steve,
      i can agree about email...however i do disagree that it is the easiest, and especially for Newbies or even Mid Level IM marketers... I tend to think those really capitalizing on email lists have taken years to understand how to dominate in that category...

      Now with the same eyeballs over and over...The issue i see, is pumping new eyeballs into that list... You can only make withdrawls from the same list for so long and so much revenue... and how would that compare to pushing more New Eyeballs into a Platform... Thoughts?

      Robert
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5496880].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve McBride
        Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

        Steve,
        i can agree about email...however i do disagree that it is the easiest, and especially for Newbies or even Mid Level IM marketers... I tend to think those really capitalizing on email lists have taken years to understand how to dominate in that category...

        Now with the same eyeballs over and over...The issue i see, is pumping new eyeballs into that list... You can only make withdrawls from the same list for so long and so much revenue... and how would that compare to pushing more New Eyeballs into a Platform... Thoughts?

        Robert
        It's true, it takes time to build a MASSIVE list, but even newbies can start small and slowly build. It's the number two advice I give to newbies, right after developing a proper mindset.

        Open rates change from list to list and marketer to marketer. If you regularly give high quality content to your list, chances are you'll have a higher open rate.

        As for new eyeballs, your right, you do need to control eyeballs from another source to even get them on your list in the first place. And you should always be list building, no matter how large or profitable it is. So, I guess I'll have to tweak what I originally said. Newbies will need to learn how to "control eyeballs" by getting traffic from different sources to even get them on their list. But, once they are on your list, it is still the cheapest and easiest ways to "control eyeballs."

        Thanks for the great input, Robert!

        -Steve

        Edit: Just wanted to mention the "withdrawal" part. Honestly I see a lot of the same people buying from me over and over, and there doesn't seem to be any end in site. These are your true fans, they are the ones that will keep buying as long as you keep helping them get the results they want.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497012].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
        Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

        Mike,
        Okay so your vote is email marketing...are you using other sources to control eyeballs? and with the Open rate of email now a days are you finding the list needs to be a whole lot bigger for the same Income? Would you make more money Targeting some other viable techniques? Just thinking out of the box for you... What if you had 2 authority sites getting 50,000 uniques a month each, how would that compare to email?
        The open rate of email is less and less nowadays according to the "experts" but I have a different experience with that. My open rates are great because my list is expecting the emails.

        I pre-sell sort of speak, my emails by my quality blog content. I do not force opt-ins so what I get are people who are wanting what I have to say. My relationship with the folks on my list is genuine.

        Nowadays people don't pay enough attention to their list because everyone tells them that lists are nowhere near as good as it used to be and they tend to believe it.

        The authority sites with that much traffic is fantastic however everything on the site is competing against itself for the readers attention. You have no control or very limited control at best as to how each user experiences your site. They will all make different decisions about what to click on and what to read and in what order.

        With my list, when I deliver an email I am not competing against other emails in their inbox because they see it's from me and it gets opened more times than not. Once it's opened I have their undivided attention. The content in the email determines how long I have their attention. Most times I will point to a link outside of the email directly to content on my blog, this way they are laser focused in what I'm saying before they get to my blog so all the other links on the blog take a backseat for the time being.

        So, when they reach my blog for the first time and read my content they are being engaged and the one's who I'm interested in having on my list will sign up because they want more. Those people are my target market. the one's who do not sign up will hopefully learn something but I'm not too concerned with them. That is the type of traffic that will get you good dollars from advertisers paying to be on your site.

        The ones who join my list are interested in what I have to say, share and teach...

        One of the ways I get new eyeballs to my list is by looking at websites at the top of Google in the first 5 - 8 positions for each of my keywords. Then I explore those sites to first see if they offer advertising. I do not pay for advertising right away though... I contact the website owner to see if there is some sort of deal we can work out for a solo mailing. This is how I test their traffic which is on their list. If I get good returns I will pay for advertising on their site.

        If they do not want to work with me I will resort to paid advertising on their site.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497165].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
          Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

          The open rate of email is less and less nowadays according to the "experts" but I have a different experience with that. My open rates are great because my list is expecting the emails.

          I pre-sell sort of speak, my emails by my quality blog content. I do not force opt-ins so what I get are people who are wanting what I have to say. My relationship with the folks on my list is genuine.

          Nowadays people don't pay enough attention to their list because everyone tells them that lists are nowhere near as good as it used to be and they tend to believe it.

          The authority sites with that much traffic is fantastic however everything on the site is competing against itself for the readers attention. You have no control or very limited control at best as to how each user experiences your site. They will all make different decisions about what to click on and what to read and in what order.

          With my list, when I deliver an email I am not competing against other emails in their inbox because they see it's from me and it gets opened more times than not. Once it's opened I have their undivided attention. The content in the email determines how long I have their attention. Most times I will point to a link outside of the email directly to content on my blog, this way they are laser focused in what I'm saying before they get to my blog so all the other links on the blog take a backseat for the time being.

          So, when they reach my blog for the first time and read my content they are being engaged and the one's who I'm interested in having on my list will sign up because they want more. Those people are my target market. the one's who do not sign up will hopefully learn something but I'm not too concerned with them. That is the type of traffic that will get you good dollars from advertisers paying to be on your site.

          The ones who join my list are interested in what I have to say, share and teach...

          One of the ways I get new eyeballs to my list is by looking at websites at the top of Google in the first 5 - 8 positions for each of my keywords. Then I explore those sites to first see if they offer advertising. I do not pay for advertising right away though... I contact the website owner to see if there is some sort of deal we can work out for a solo mailing. This is how I test their traffic which is on their list. If I get good returns I will pay for advertising on their site.

          If they do not want to work with me I will resort to paid advertising on their site.
          Mike,
          that is excellent insight and exactly what i wanted this thread too do... The education in there is priceless... Thanks for taking the time to write that kind of response and share some good insider info for others reading this thread... I for one Appreciate You taking the time.

          To Your Continued Success,
          Robert
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497227].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
            Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

            Mike,
            that is excellent insight and exactly what i wanted this thread too do... The education in there is priceless... Thanks for taking the time to write that kind of response and share some good insider info for others reading this thread... I for one Appreciate You taking the time.

            To Your Continued Success,
            Robert
            I would also like to add something profoundly important:

            I do not bother fighting the SEO ladder with Google... instead I let everyone else do it for me and contact those people at the top like I mentioned above. Much easier to control because now I'm always at the top no matter what Google decides to do about it. LOL
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497237].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author myob
            Testing of course is absolutely essential. But the most successful marketers that I know have built lists of regular buyers. It takes multiple exposures to maximize the conversion rate of visitors, which is optimized primarily through lead generation such as incentivized opt-in offers. Some of my own subscribers have been buying incrementally higher-end products for many years. You really cannot "control" eyeballs; all you can do is attract them long enough to keep making sales. The most money is in the list.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497274].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
              Originally Posted by myob View Post

              Testing of course is absolutely essential. But the most successful marketers that I know have built lists of regular buyers. It takes multiple exposures to maximize the conversion rate of visitors, which is optimized primarily through lead generation such as incentivized opt-in offers. Some of my own subscribers have been buying incrementally higher-end products for many years. You really cannot "control" eyeballs; all you can do is attract them long enough to keep making sales. The most money is in the list.
              Myob,
              though i agree completely with the testing element, i have to respectfully disagree with the list theory. You constantly have people opting in and out all the time. Your specific open rate is what it is at any given time, though Mike Hill has shown that can be overcome.

              You can Control Eyeballs at any given time for any product or service and more importantly you can cause a Specific Action for those Eyeballs... are you going to get 100% never, but the more eyeballs you are in front of the bigger chance of success you have with anything...

              Example: You might offer a specific service... Your online marketing is geared to create a specific action from your unique visitor. You could easily be getting them to pick up the phone to make a call for the service... You gear the marketing for the CALL TO ACTION!!! Just because they opt in does not insure you make money... there are THOUSANDS of newbies who can attest to this.. There is a lot of moving elements in building a list, getting a good open rate, getting a call to action and generating a sale...

              The same newbie could have a scenario through another traffic source of some kind that generates the Call to Action and someone else fulfills the closing or sale...

              Just saying... Hoping to get some warriors here to get WAY out of THE BOX.

              Thanks for your input i appreciate it...
              Robert
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497350].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author celente
                Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

                Myob,
                though i agree completely with the testing element, i have to respectfully disagree with the list theory. You constantly have people opting in and out all the time. Your specific open rate is what it is at any given time, though Mike Hill has shown that can be overcome.

                You can Control Eyeballs at any given time for any product or service and more importantly you can cause a Specific Action for those Eyeballs... are you going to get 100% never, but the more eyeballs you are in front of the bigger chance of success you have with anything...

                Example: You might offer a specific service... Your online marketing is geared to create a specific action from your unique visitor. You could easily be getting them to pick up the phone to make a call for the service... You gear the marketing for the CALL TO ACTION!!! Just because they opt in does not insure you make money... there are THOUSANDS of newbies who can attest to this.. There is a lot of moving elements in building a list, getting a good open rate, getting a call to action and generating a sale...

                The same newbie could have a scenario through another traffic source of some kind that generates the Call to Action and someone else fulfills the closing or sale...

                Just saying... Hoping to get some warriors here to get WAY out of THE BOX.

                Thanks for your input i appreciate it...
                Robert

                WHile I do agree with this, building a list of buyers can change your life, and business very quickly.

                It was what did it for me.

                That is literally like having an ATM in your living room spitting our money with a push of a button.

                We have lists of buyers, we have already done the controlling eyeballs. That has already done.

                There is no new work that has to be done, no other testing, not tracking, they are sitting in a database (your optin list) ready to look and buy.

                A list of buyers are 1000 times more likely to look at your offer and just buy.

                In my opinion, there is not quicker way to make money than to do this, with a push of a button. Like i said, the ATM thing.

                I do not know if you are building a list of buyers...but it is one of the smartest things you can do in your work day. Learn to segregate and make more money.

                infact we do not do this, we get others to do this for us. Yes we get others to create a list of buyers and we hardly do any work. And I do not see this tactic anywhere in the forum.

                its about working smarter, and using your time during the day to do more things that will make you sales. Building a list of buyers would be top of my list anyway
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497421].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author MikeTucker
                Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

                I would also like to add something profoundly important:

                I do not bother fighting the SEO ladder with Google... instead I let everyone else do it for me and contact those people at the top like I mentioned above. Much easier to control because now I'm always at the top no matter what Google decides to do about it. LOL
                Agreed 100%



                Originally Posted by myob View Post

                Testing of course is absolutely essential. But the most successful marketers that I know have built lists of regular buyers. It takes multiple exposures to maximize the conversion rate of visitors, which is optimized primarily through lead generation such as incentivized opt-in offers. Some of my own subscribers have been buying incrementally higher-end products for many years. You really cannot "control" eyeballs; all you can do is attract them long enough to keep making sales. The most money is in the list.
                Allow me to echo this, if I may. In my experience, other people cannot be "controlled", only influenced-- and only as much as they allow themselves to be. Especially when it comes to the more wealthy and afluent buyers of the world.



                Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

                Myob,
                though i agree completely with the testing element, i have to respectfully disagree with the list theory. You constantly have people opting in and out all the time. Your specific open rate is what it is at any given time, though Mike Hill has shown that can be overcome.

                You can Control Eyeballs at any given time for any product or service and more importantly you can cause a Specific Action for those Eyeballs... are you going to get 100% never, but the more eyeballs you are in front of the bigger chance of success you have with anything...

                Example: You might offer a specific service... Your online marketing is geared to create a specific action from your unique visitor. You could easily be getting them to pick up the phone to make a call for the service... You gear the marketing for the CALL TO ACTION!!! Just because they opt in does not insure you make money... there are THOUSANDS of newbies who can attest to this.. There is a lot of moving elements in building a list, getting a good open rate, getting a call to action and generating a sale...

                The same newbie could have a scenario through another traffic source of some kind that generates the Call to Action and someone else fulfills the closing or sale...

                Just saying... Hoping to get some warriors here to get WAY out of THE BOX.

                Thanks for your input i appreciate it...
                Robert

                Well, the list "theory" is often very much misunderstood by "thousands of Newbies". (Or, the best advice is simply ignored because they are trying to run before they can walk.)

                The truth is that the money is in the lists. Professionals almost always have more than one, and as myob pointed out, they work to build a list of regular buyers. When you have reached that point, then it is called "The" List. And that is definitely where the larger amounts of reliable, steady money comes from, although other lists still bring in some smaller amounts of cashflow.

                This just isn't explained very often because many people don't know it, don't realize it, or Newbies are just not ready to hear it yet and won't understand it if they do.


                "Outside of the box"? Well, a "call to action" is generally something that goes near the end of a piece of copy, and I'm sure that a great number of people would say that it is absolutely vital. But, in a few niches-- credit repair and debt/tax settlement-- I have gotten some of my best results with "take-away" closes at the end of the copy that didn't have a "call to action" and in fact, told people they weren't going to be allowed to buy... But I have always thought of it as more of a way of inluencing their decision-making, not "controlling their eyeballs."

                Signature

                The bartender says: "We don't serve faster-than-light particles here."

                ...A tachyon enters a bar.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497539].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author hmartin90
          I have to agree with the people who talk about the content. There are several people that email me that I always read their emails because they are full of great content and no just offers. I am new to this game, but I try to see what I like and begin a path toward it. Although, I need to fine tune my traffic generating abilities considering my lack of a list
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author quiescen
    Love the list. But ... the money is really in your OFFER. Is it good? If not, you're probably leaving money on the table. Test over and over again. It's the second most (I think the most) important thing to test on your site according to ze experts.
    Signature

    Play Piano in Just 1-Hour! Free Lesson Shows You How!
    Online Piano Lessons by Quiescence Music

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5496901].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stan
    Some great tips here guys, thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    Testing is key here. I do not see anyone mention that.

    Testing and tweaking is what marketing is all about.

    What works for you and keeps working, well do more of that. simple really. But when you learn to build lists, and know how to use that list properly your whole bussiness and outlook on your business will change.

    The money is not in the list, it is in the way you control their eyeballs, and what you send them, but most importantly the relationship you have with them before any of this comes into play. That is where the true RAW power is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497218].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author robbdogg30
    I still video is one of the most powerful ways to control eyeballs. You can get tons of traffic with videos and quicker than you could with trying to seo any website. Its quicker, faster and extremely targeted.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J Bold
    Of course it's about the amount of eyeballs. How can anyone argue with that?

    Having email lists is just one of the ways you can get eyeballs on your offers, web pages, what have you.

    Seems like there should be no argument here. Even with your product creation seems like you would be building email lists. And those with email lists surely use other strategies to get eyeballs on their web pages.

    If someone's going to argue email and only email that doesn't make too much sense, of course, but it should be one part of your overall strategy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497515].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      I disagree with both concepts. It's a good cliche, but saying the money is in the list or the eyeballs doesn't tell the whole story. I say the Money is in the "Niche".

      For example,
      • I know many people who have a "mailing list" but make little or no money from it.
      • I know ads that can grab "eyeballs" but can't convert.
      But there's few businesses, products or people who dominate a strong and lucrative niche who can't make money.

      That's why I say ... "The Money is in the Niche!"
      Signature
      Your Niche-Tip-of the Day! -- ""If You Can't Create Your Own 'Niche Ideas' ...
      Then You're Forced to Compete for the Leftovers of Those Who Can ".
      - The Niche Man

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    The Eyeball Controlling Super Ray Gun. What, you haven't heard about it? Well, we're still in pre-launch but the buzz will be outrageous. All the big guns are ramping up to promote it. You'll want in on this action, trust me.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497533].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      The Eyeball Controlling Super Ray Gun. What, you haven't heard about it? Well, we're still in pre-launch but the buzz will be outrageous. All the big guns are ramping up to promote it. You'll want in on this action, trust me.

      LMAO Zeus, NOPE there is no WSO coming...No Pre Launch Buzz and no ramping up.. HA HA HA

      This is more of lets get out of the box that so many are trapped in day in and day out... IMHO

      Now, with that being said... I know you got some Ideas so go ahead and toss in your 2 cents worth now... Quit waiting around... Just Do It...
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497614].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeTucker
    Lists aren't scalable? Sales funnels.

    Can't manage multiple lists? Infusionsoft.

    You "become" the brand? Pen names and DBA/LLC

    Selling the business? No more than I would sell my own children.

    Slavery? You're in the wrong niche.




    Just my opinions, based on my own experiences.
    Signature

    The bartender says: "We don't serve faster-than-light particles here."

    ...A tachyon enters a bar.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5498001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ethinoze
    I'd say the best way of controlling eyeballs, by far the easiest, cheapest and effective is emailing.i only discard new emails if the title doesnt attract me,on the other hand, i read every email in my inbox that pertains to my interests,more so if from a trusted source.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5498267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goindeep
    Originally Posted by BrashImpact View Post

    I wanted to share some basic thoughts and at the same time get your input...

    Internet Marketing is not hard if you can understand one simple philosophy,
    "Controlling Eyeballs on the Internet" with...

    Affiliates
    Article Syndication - Thank You Myob (Paul)
    Email List
    Sniper Sites
    Organic Traffic
    PPC Traffic
    Ezine Ads
    Joint Ventures
    Authority Sites
    Url's in your Products
    Product Creation
    Direct Mailers with a Call to action Online
    SMS Texting Lists
    Videos - Thanks to Robbdogg30 for the Mention below

    The list is endless... I argue that money is not "In the List"... In fact it has no bearing on your monthly income... What does matter is the amount of "Eyeballs or Traffic" you control on a daily basis... If you look deep down into the heart of Internet Marketing you will find one thing of commonality...

    The people or marketers who control the most eyeballs make the most money day in and day out... It's that simple...

    So what are your favorite ways to "Control Eyeballs"
    Yes it's time to get to the bottom of the Controversy... If you disagree with this Theory please share with us why?

    Mine is hands down Keyword Rich Domain Sniper Sites followed by Product Creation... Whats Yours?

    Update - after 33 posts... "So far the hands down winner is Email Lists, Now after reading some of these amazing posts, what are we missing here? So far this has been one of the Most enlightening threads on WF for awhile for me..." WHY? It shows that almost every marketer who has replied to this post is Linear thinking... The Email List... When we should be thinking about Vertical expansion across the entire network called the INTERNET... Please Post your thoughts and comments... All are appreciated.
    Robert
    Agree, but then again, i dont know s**t lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5498700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
    I'm all about the list. It's hands down the easiest way to earn a lot of money online. It wrecks just about every other method of Internet Marketing IMO. I love the fact that I can push a button and start making money whenever and wherever I want.

    When I invest in my business, it's mostly always to buy solo ads. That beats just about any other traffic method for adding targeted subscribers to my list.

    I also do a lot of list swaps. I don't mess with PPC because it's just too damn expensive...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5498899].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ryanmilligan
      Banned
      Email marketing is just easier.

      Sure to get a list of lets say one hundred thousand people is VERY hard. But if you put the work in and get them. They are always there.

      If you are trying to get a hundred thousand visotors every single day to a site that is a lot harder.

      Plus you can actually build a bond with your liste, providing them free things with no strings attached. You have to actually have them looking foward to your next email.

      However Building realationships to visitors of a site is substanciously harder.

      Just my view on things.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5501043].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BrashImpact
        Originally Posted by nicheblogger75 View Post

        I'm all about the list. It's hands down the easiest way to earn a lot of money online. It wrecks just about every other method of Internet Marketing IMO. I love the fact that I can push a button and start making money whenever and wherever I want.

        When I invest in my business, it's mostly always to buy solo ads. That beats just about any other traffic method for adding targeted subscribers to my list.

        I also do a lot of list swaps. I don't mess with PPC because it's just too damn expensive...
        Nicheblogger,,
        Sure a lot of IM'ers talking up the email list... I have yet too hear anyone talk about all the elements of controlling eyeballs that they must have in order to create said list...Was hoping someone would allude to that yet no one has.... That's exactly why i still contest, Eyeball Control Supercedes everything IMHO... What are your Advanced Thoughts?

        Robert

        Originally Posted by ryanmilligan View Post

        Email marketing is just easier.

        Sure to get a list of lets say one hundred thousand people is VERY hard. But if you put the work in and get them. They are always there.

        If you are trying to get a hundred thousand visotors every single day to a site that is a lot harder.

        Plus you can actually build a bond with your liste, providing them free things with no strings attached. You have to actually have them looking foward to your next email.

        However Building realationships to visitors of a site is substanciously harder.

        Just my view on things.
        Ryan,
        Valid points...However you don't need 100,000 visitors a day to your site to compete in the marketplace on the Internet. You still have to get hyper agressive with with control to build an opt in list...

        Secondly, how many visitors does it take to get a 100k opt in list... what is the open rate, conversion rate and actual Revenue per Email Subscriber Open per month... These are elements so few have really digested into the math Formula for Email... Thoughts?

        Robert
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504968].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Global Warrior
          Hi

          Personally i agree that the money isn't in the list.

          I know some people make money with lists but there are also a lot struggling with their lists because they view it as a money tap they can turn on and inevitably pump it with c**p.

          Sure, its a business model and along with the concept that 100,000 lemmings cant be wrong, seems to be what every one strives for, following the heard. But just the phrase "the money is in the list" narrows people's vision to the point that they shackle themselves with the inability to see the BIG picture. It becomes a mantra rather than what it should be..... just a soundbite, IMHO.

          You only have to see some of the threads here to know that people seem to want INSTANT PROFITS and therefore limit themselves to making serious cashish because they don't want to take time building up a BUSINESS. They take time building up a list and then abusing it with continual offers of something that is designed to try and make money for the list owner........ and then they celebrate their first sale on this forum Its like dragging everyone off the pavement in to your store. Sure you might have got them there but you cant force them to buy.

          However, there are far simpler and far more effective ways to make money online. But there seems to be an inability to treat IM like a business. Im not going to say how just yet, because im quite interested in seeing how this thread develops but in very general terms, ill say it like this, the one way to make SERIOUS money online is by having something that no one else can control, is desirable to own and there's a demand for it. An example, from the past, would be domain names, which is where i actually made my online money. I did have lists but i just couldn't be bothered to put in the effort necessary to monetize them, so i deleted them, "retired," got in the Lamborghini and drove it across Europe, which was a lot less hard work and a lot more fun. And in Italy, one guy loved it so much he offered to buy me a tank of petrol if i took him for a ride in it. :-) I did, he did!!!

          I got out of the IM game about 3 years ago. But then i got bored of JUST flying aeroplanes and thought about "coming out of retirement." However, i didn't just want to follow the heard and do the same thing. I wanted to do something SO RADICAL, whether the heard followed me or not, they would have to at least admire the fact that i had a set of kahunas for going in the direction i have chosen to go. I didn't want to shackle myself with such a narrow vision of making money online.

          When i decided to dip my toes back in the water, the characters, the people and the guru's had changed but "the money is in the list" concept hasn't and personally i think if you expand the concept a little wider, its like 500 people fishing for 1 fish in a garden pond. Because some people have been successful at it, its deemed to be the only way to really make money online. One of those fishermen proves he's caught a fish so every other fisherman fishes the same pond!!!

          If you can find something people want, that you can control, and you get them to it, you'll hear the constant sound of cash registers ringing.

          Good Luck to all in 2012.

          GW
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5505928].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author curly sue
            i say spread your net as wide as possible, your catch will be plenty
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5505966].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Witty
              The money is still in the list - as long as you're willing to establish a relationship.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5506123].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics