Is content marketing the way to go?

21 replies
I am wondering what you guys think about this subject?

I mean everybody is talking about content marketing, and I believe it is in a long run the right way to move forward with your organic marketing if you want to be successful with your business.

But...

What is the right strategy to adopt here. I see many peeps around complaining about the fact that their content is hijacked and published on other blogs, forums etc... which I can understand can be in a first place frustrating as you put time and effort in writing a good article about a certain topic.

On the other hand it is somehow rewarding if your content is copied by others. Think about it because usually it is the best things (products and services) that are usually copied right?

Never the less some people want to avoid this and I am just wondering what is the solution here beside legal actions etc... which take time and cost a lot of money for small results.

What do you guys think can be done or what strategy might be the right one to avoid that others profit from the content that you produced to create awareness for your brand or business?

I look forward to your valuable input here - Thank you very much

Michel
Your Tropical CEO
#article writing #brand #business #content #content marketing #marketing
  • Profile picture of the author Joey Babbs
    I believe content marketing is a great way to go for long term SEO traffic and free residual income. There is alot of information on content advertising...the MassTrafficMatrix.com talks alot about content advertising....
    Signature


    I MADE OVER $3,000,000 ON CPA LAST YEAR

    CLICK HERE & SEE MY EXACT CAMPAIGNS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5521908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    You can put on your website that you don't want your articles to be republished anywhere on the internet. When it comes to article directories... sites like ideamarketers.com and searchwarp.com gives you the option to not have other website owners take your content and post it on their website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5522916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author noah.whitmore
    We're all content marketers, aren't we? I mean, if you're not producing anything, how are you making money?

    The internet is a lot like the radio - the money is in the content. Those that are able to constantly produce quality content are the ones that will come out on top.

    -Noah Whitmore
    Signature
    No Pitch For The Moment - Just A Nice Hello.
    So... 'Hello'
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my posts. I'd like to hear from you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5522948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cameronpalte
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5522960].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MattCatania
      Originally Posted by cameronpalte View Post

      in my opinion content is not kind marketing is. if no one sees your site it doesn't matter how good it is. start with links in your sig.
      ... but your content is your marketing.
      Signature

      Logic outweighs all.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cjbmeb14
    I for one believe content or article marketing is more worthwhile now than ever before.
    As an article writing service provider, I have seen a massive increase in articles ordered, so obviously webmasters are realizing the value.

    Google themselves have stated that they will recognize unique content especially with deep linking.
    Signature
    EXPLODE your Offline sales!!!! My unique methods of selling are all revealed. I went from writing $5 articles to selling Mobile Websites that convert like CRAZY!!!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danlew
    Content is KING! Yes, content marketing is a good way to go for long term results and passive income in a free way. You've got to put some work and effort on this type of marketing, because its one reason that article marketers are making money with the affiliate products they promote.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5523012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J.Artre
    Content marketing is not a way to go, it is what it is: Marketing with content.

    As for strategy:

    "The key to persuading people to act on your offer, is understanding what they need to hear to do what you want them to do."

    As for what to avoid, stop focusing on strategies, tricks or techniques and instead, focus on your reader, your audience.

    Now here's a shortcut I found that will help you...

    There are NO shortcuts!

    If you're not willing to put in the time, effort and money to invest in your future as a provider of high-quality, unique content; content that solves your reader's problem, than you do not deserve the rewards that come to those who do.

    My only hope is that all those who are jumping on the "content marketing" bandwagon as if it were some new idea don't screw it up for the rest of us.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5533592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    James said it.

    The OP is flawed.

    I hear this stuff all the time about how important content is and I see people selling how high quality content is essential to getting rankings etc..

    It's all BS. (excuse my language).

    The perspective is all wrong.

    Let's cover a few basics here:

    1 - Ranking in the search engines is NOT all about content.

    Yes, this is the truth. You can rank for keywords that are not ANYWHERE on your site.

    You do NOT need the content on your site to rank for any keyword.

    2 - Content is what the search engines focus on and it's the thing you need to focus on to make them happy.

    No! - sorry, wrong again.

    The search engines are in the business of matching needs/searches with relevant results.

    If every time someone searches for Obama news all they get is a screen full of Omaba Jigsaw puzzle review websites, the searchers will stop clicking and the search engines will tweak their algorithm to remove the 'wrong' type of sites.

    They don't care how great your content is or how many times you squeeze the keywords in - they care about whether when they decide to show you to their searchers that what you deliver is actually what that searcher wanted.

    Now, that may be audio, video, reviews, news, products, etc.... It's how closely you match your message and content to what the searcher that sees your site that matters - NOT how much or how optimised your copy is.

    If you page loads quicker - that matters.

    3 - It's how and why people link to you that makes the difference.

    Everyone knows that the site owner controls the content - so the on-site stuff is always going to only be part of what makes your site/page relevant.

    This is the bit that changes over time, as new social systems and socially active web properties get popular - they become part of the expected place to get 'votes' for your website.

    Link diversity and relevance matter.

    Links are not all about volume. 1 link from 1000 sites is worth more than 1000 links from one site. Not all links are created equal.

    If you get lazy and just blast your url out to only places that can be spammed by automated tools - you're building your castle on sand.

    As new social sites come out - they may or may not become important places to get links from. Youtube was irrelevant 10 years ago - now it's important. Facebook was irrelevant 10 years ago - now it's a powerhouse.

    While the basics of what matters has not really changed - the specifics DO change and you need to understand why.

    Don't think that focusing on content is going to keep you safe.

    You can have the best content in the world but if no-one links to you and your pages are slow to load - your great content will gather dust.

    Content will NEVER be the only thing that matters, and right now - in many cases you can get the results you want even if you don't give your content any ranking consideration at all and just write for your visitors.

    Now with all that said - the more content you have - the more information you give the SE's to go on. The better and more focused your content is - the more relevance you will show.

    So yes get your content right and substantial, but don't kid yourself that it's everything.

    /rant

    Andy
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5533889].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DatSyn
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5534459].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
        Originally Posted by DatSyn View Post

        So how important is syndication in the process Andy?
        It doesn't have a fixed importance.

        It all depends on your niche, your content and your business model.

        If you're focused on one niche only and you want to be seen as a go-to expert in that niche then building relationships with other people that have access to your target audience is a huge way to build your business and getting your content syndicated by such people is an excellent way of leveraging it.

        For some people syndication is irrelevant.

        Andy
        Signature

        nothing to see here.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5534938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mediadeveloped
    If you want to be a good marketer, you're going to have to have good content in the long run. No way around it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5534975].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
      Originally Posted by mediadeveloped View Post

      If you want to be a good marketer, you're going to have to have good content in the long run. No way around it.
      I disagree.

      Some business models do not require content and have no need for search engine considerations.
      Signature

      nothing to see here.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5534978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jgant
    Content works for me. It's my bread and butter. I like generating it so I'll stick with it.

    For 2 days a while back I got uptight about theft of my content. However, it was so widespread, I stopped caring. As long as my traffic and sales increased, I'm content.
    Signature
    How I hit $10,000+ per month very fast w/ 1 niche blog - Click Here to learn more (no opt-in).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5535403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AC21DJ
    Michel,
    The fact that people steal content is BS. However, it is a fact of life that can't be avoided. Unfortunately, if you have good content then people want to copy it and use it for their own purposes. The only way to deal with this in my mind is to treat it like a great compliment. How many musicians find that someone has stolen their lyrics or has taken a great hook and put in in their song? Even if they don't completely steal it, they may *******ize it and change a few key words here and there to make it slightly different. Take this as a good problem to have because you are putting out a quality product that deserves duplication.

    I guess the moral of the story is this: You can't do anything about it so don't let plagiarism stop you from doing what you want to do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5535548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    It's always been known that "content is king" - and that still applies today. I would create new content everyday and market it all across the internet in different avenues of your business. There's John Resse's Traffic Secrets 2.0 course that shows you how to make money with your content online. You can probably find it on ebay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5536140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lucidsuccess
    If you start just by content marketing it will take time. just hang in there..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5536838].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SawyerD
      I don't think there is anything better than good, original content. Yes, it takes time but once you get there the income is consistent.
      I really think Content is King is true except it should be Content is God, because it really just overshadows everything else.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5536914].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author trevpen
        Originally Posted by SawyerD View Post

        I don't think there is anything better than good, original content. Yes, it takes time but once you get there the income is consistent.
        I really think Content is King is true except it should be Content is God, because it really just overshadows everything else.
        Concisely put! And if you don't have good content, people have no reason to return to your site, or open your emails, etc.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5536944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ord Allenbea
    Some of the responses on this thread are down right hilarious.

    Every single business online does content marketing (sorry Andy I must disagree) even if they do not realize it. When you make those simple facebook post you are doing content marketing; when you bookmark your site you are doing content marketing; when you start a thread on a forum you are doing content marketing.

    Content is simple put - Written Words

    This does not mean every single business online focuses on search engines though but their content must be of high quality to engage with their possible customer. Imagine trying to sell an article writing service and the sales page (which is content) has a grade level of 3 according to the Flesch-Kincaid test for readability. How many people are seriously going to buy the service ?

    You see your content matters regardless if you are focused on search engines or not. If you are focused on search engines then that content is a "TOP RANKING FACTOR" and this is especially true for Google. While Google does use over 200 factors in determining the rank of a page / site, the fresh high quality content is on the top of that list of factors.

    By high quality I mean, semantics, reading level, grammar, spelling and etc. (ever wonder why Google has these options on advanced search ? well that is why because they use it as part of their 200+ factors for rankings). Don't take my word for this though because this is posted right on Google's own blog.

    As for people stealing your content, issue a DMCA Take Down Notice, write more content and move on about your business. The only way not to have something stolen online is to not put it online. People will always takes others stuff, this is nothing new.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5537012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
      Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post

      Every single business online does content marketing (sorry Andy I must disagree) even if they do not realize it. When you make those simple facebook post you are doing content marketing; when you bookmark your site you are doing content marketing; when you start a thread on a forum you are doing content marketing.
      It's ok - you're allowed to disagree. Even if you're wrong, you're allowed your point of view

      Seriously - you're riding both sides of the fence here so that your position is bullet-proof.

      When I said some businesses do not focus on or even need 'content marketing' - I (obviously) was not suggesting that such businesses would be starting forum threads and posting in Facebook - That WOULD be content and I'd expect that to fall into most definitions people pushing content marketing would have.

      The reason you disagree with me is because you have a fixed idea about what an online business is and your model doesn't cater for non-content focused strategies, otherwise we'd be in agreement.

      I'm not going to argue with you just for the sake of it and I don't have any real interest in trying to 'convert' you to my way of thinking, so I'll just agree that we disagree.

      Andy
      Signature

      nothing to see here.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5537207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulthemagpie
    content is defentely now needed!

    although its a very very important part of SEO, it is only part of the puzzle so should not be solely relied on.

    magpie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5537068].message }}

Trending Topics