Question? If You Never Create a Profitable Online Business, Who's Fault Is It??

43 replies
I'm curious to know what my fellow warriors think about this question.


Hope It Helps Spark Insightful Discussion!


TL

Ps. I don't expect a lot of view to this thread because most people are afraid of the question. But if you opened this thread you are to be commended for having the courage to deal with reality.
#business #create #ebusiness #fault #internet business #online #online business #profitable #question
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    Here's my personal belief -- those who find success in business and in life don't just take credit for their success, they also take FULL responsibility for their failures. (And failures are not really failures unless you quit -- they're lessons.)

    Read lots of posts on this forum, and you'll see people say:

    I don't have time.

    I don't have the money.

    I don't have a list of JV partners.

    I have kids -- you don't understand what it's like to work when you have to attend to the kids.

    It's much harder now than it was before.

    You had to start years ago if you want success.

    The niche dried up.

    The recession ruined my business.

    My traffic died because Google changed the rules.

    The marketer stiffed me and didn't pay me my commissions.

    The freelancer ripped me off.

    My launch was ruined because my payment processor / JV partners / freelancers didn't do their part.

    ...and I could go on and on.

    The point is, people who continually say these things believe someone else or something else is to blame. They don't look at themselves. And if they don't see themselves as being in control of their business and their life, how can they expect to see success? Why even try... especially if they don't believe they have any control over outside factors?

    The person who sees success is the one who takes responsibility. Instead of saying...

    "My traffic died because Google changed the rules." The successful person might say instead, "I should have diversified my traffic streams so that I didn't lose all my traffic when Google changed their rules."

    Another example:

    "The marketer stiffed me and didn't pay me my commissions." The successful person might say, "I should have researched this vendor more thoroughly and started small rather than immediately plunging $1500 into advertising this product."


    Food for thought.

    cheers,
    Becky
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490022].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

      Here's my personal belief -- those who find success in business and in life don't just take credit for their success, they also take FULL responsibility for their failures. (And failures are not really failures unless you quit -- they're lessons.)

      Read lots of posts on this forum, and you'll see people say:

      I don't have time.

      I don't have the money.

      I don't have a list of JV partners.

      I have kids -- you don't understand what it's like to work when you have to attend to the kids.

      It's much harder now than it was before.

      You had to start years ago if you want success.

      The niche dried up.

      The recession ruined my business.

      My traffic died because Google changed the rules.

      The marketer stiffed me and didn't pay me my commissions.

      The freelancer ripped me off.

      My launch was ruined because my payment processor / JV partners / freelancers didn't do their part.

      ...and I could go on and on.

      The point is, people who continually say these things believe someone else or something else is to blame. They don't look at themselves. And if they don't see themselves as being in control of their business and their life, how can they expect to see success? Why even try... especially if they don't believe they have any control over outside factors?

      The person who sees success is the one who takes responsibility. Instead of saying...

      "My traffic died because Google changed the rules." The successful person might say instead, "I should have diversified my traffic streams so that I didn't lose all my traffic when Google changed their rules."

      Another example:

      "The marketer stiffed me and didn't pay me my commissions." The successful person might say, "I should have researched this vendor more thoroughly and started small rather than immediately plunging $1500 into advertising this product."


      Food for thought.

      cheers,
      Becky

      Thanks for the real world examples Becky.

      There is a massive difference in the mindset of those that find success and those that never do and taking full responsibility is a characteristic of successful people.

      Now, 4 or 5 years ago I really don't think anyone could be blamed for not finding success but now I sincerely believe there are no excuses.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490570].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by checkm8 View Post

      I completely agree. Internet marketing is just like anything else that has any worth to it. For something to turn good profit you need to put the right amount of time. There are all kinds of ways to success, but rarely do they come without effort.
      Diddo!

      The last person to blame should be your prospects.

      It's up to you to learn how to get enough of them to do what you need them to do in order for you to make a decent and consistent profit from your efforts.

      Sure it can be tough out there, but growing up, practicing good online business and accepting total responsibility is the mature way of handling your online business.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[517126].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matthew Duggan
      Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

      Here's my personal belief -- those who find success in business and in life don't just take credit for their success, they also take FULL responsibility for their failures. (And failures are not really failures unless you quit -- they're lessons.)
      Becky has hit the nail on the head. There's really nothing more to say, except that by blaming anyone, you give the power of that situation away. By taking responsibility, you take control.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2490672].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    yeah, nice becky.

    unfortunately most people will point the finger at everything and
    everyone else instead of looking in the mirror and taking personal
    responsibility.

    Jim Collins talks about this in Good To Great. He calls it the window and the mirror.

    The Good To Great executives always gave credit to everyone else when things went right, but always took FULL responsibility when things went wrong.

    The comparison company excecutives took ALL the credit when things went
    right, but pointed the finger at everyone else, taking NO personal responsibility, when
    things went wrong.

    Jason
    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490047].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

      yeah, nice becky.

      unfortunately most people will point the finger at everything and
      everyone else instead of looking in the mirror and taking personal
      responsibility.

      Jim Collins talks about this in Good To Great. He calls it the window and the mirror.

      The Good To Great executives always gave credit to everyone else when things went right, but always took FULL responsibility when things went wrong.

      The comparison company executives took ALL the credit when things went
      right, but pointed the finger at everyone else, taking NO personal responsibility, when
      things went wrong.

      Jason

      Taking responsibility does include doing it for the good times and the bad times.

      If you have the right set of attitudes, a decent plan, you don't mind taking strategic action and you keep your expenses low while testing your offers, sooner or later you will the battle and then the war for control of your financial life.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[500965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Absolutely brilliant post TLTheLiberator.

    This is what separates the "winners" from the "losers." People who are successful take 100% responsibility for their outcomes in life. This isn't an easy concept to swallow because it means that all your "failures" are down to you. But it's incredibly powerful and liberating once you get used to it.

    Personally it took me a while to truly practice it but I'm glad that I did. Because now I never blame anyone or anything for my "failures."
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pavondunbar
    Here's my take on your question:

    If you never create a profitable online business, the only person to blame is you.

    Becky (R. Hagel) does a wonderful job outlining excuses people have for not making it online...

    But...

    Most people don't realize that operating an online business is just like operating a "brick and mortar" business ...

    1) You have to treat your online business as a business. You can't just pop up a website, post a few articles, go to Starbucks for a latte, and then come back and expect an extra $10,000 sitting in your account.

    2) You have to focus and test, test, test. See what works and what doesn't. There are plenty of ways to market for free online. But it takes time. If you have capital, invest some of it in paid advertising (like adwords) because the fact of the matter is...paid advertising brings the quickest response rate.

    3) If you were running a real business, would you devote 10-12 hours a day to make it work...no TV, no fridge, no couch...AND be willing to work on weekends if necessary?

    My point is that many people fail and quit because they do not know how to run a business. They see the promise of riches, fame and glamour without work, and it's simply not true.

    Remember that the dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

    If a person doesn't have the mindset to run a "brick and mortar", what difference is an online business?

    This is my opinion. Please feel free to comment or criticize.

    Pavon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490640].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
      Originally Posted by pavondunbar View Post

      Here's my take on your question:

      If you never create a profitable online business, the only person to blame is you.

      Becky (R. Hagel) does a wonderful job outlining excuses people have for not making it online...

      But...

      Most people don't realize that operating an online business is just like operating a "brick and mortar" business ...

      1) You have to treat your online business as a business. You can't just pop up a website, post a few articles, go to Starbucks for a latte, and then come back and expect an extra $10,000 sitting in your account.

      2) You have to focus and test, test, test. See what works and what doesn't. There are plenty of ways to market for free online. But it takes time. If you have capital, invest some of it in paid advertising (like adwords) because the fact of the matter is...paid advertising brings the quickest response rate.

      3) If you were running a real business, would you devote 10-12 hours a day to make it work...no TV, no fridge, no couch...AND be willing to work on weekends if necessary?

      My point is that many people fail and quit because they do not know how to run a business. They see the promise of riches, fame and glamour without work, and it's simply not true.

      Remember that the dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

      If a person doesn't have the mindset to run a "brick and mortar", what difference is an online business?

      This is my opinion. Please feel free to comment or criticize.

      Pavon

      You said it all.

      I was talking to someone the other day about work ethic. Myself, I worked construction, deep-sea dragging, and a few other exhausting jobs in my life. I actually got off on digging ditches (either masochistic or Irish DNA). This Internet gig is the easiest job I've ever done in my life. Yes, I will pull a 16-18 hour day at times to get a project done, but compared to avoiding being killed on a deep-sea dragger where you worked around the clock with 20 minute catnaps, this is pretty cushy.

      If you're not willing to work, there's no magic button that's going to make you money for doing nothing.
      Signature
      Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489812].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author activetrader
        Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post


        If you're not willing to work, there's no magic button that's going to make you money for doing nothing.
        I so agree.

        The other day I stopped by my bank. The personal banker asked me "what is it that your business does?"

        When I told him I do Internet marketing he said,

        "would you teach me how to make so much money?"

        to which I said,

        "hey, we all can make pizza; but how many of us will open a restaurant and turn it into a thriving business; and how many will fail?

        It's not about WHAT you do... it's about YOU"
        Signature

        Me

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489839].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author redwings0921
    if your buisness never takes off the failing economy could be a major reason for it not working out. lots of people are spending less and less money each year. imo the internet marketing buisness has gone down in the past few months. it had been going on an upward trend for awhile
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490657].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by redwings0921 View Post

      if your buisness never takes off the failing economy could be a major reason for it not working out. lots of people are spending less and less money each year. imo the internet marketing buisness has gone down in the past few months. it had been going on an upward trend for awhile
      That's the bitch about taking 100% responsibility for your outcomes in life. You can't blame outside factors like the global economy. Because there are plenty of people new to Internet Marketing that are profiting handsomely.
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490689].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ArthurRose
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490700].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
          Originally Posted by ArthurRose View Post

          For internet marketing - yes. But remember that there are people who do not know English and have set up real life businesses and now are running bankrupt and it is not their fault. Strong and smart people are doing suicides and psychiatrist visits have doubled, this should be an indicator.
          Interestingly I don't apply this concept to other people. Because it's flipping hard. I'm always making excuses for them. That's just the kind of person I am.

          Personally though I would take responsibility and blame for everything you've mentioned. After all it would have been my decision to work for a company that couldn't hold up under the pressure of the recession. Or my decision not the think further a head into the future.

          Difficult? Yes.
          Rewarding? Definitely.
          Signature
          "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490724].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ArthurRose
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490755].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by ArthurRose View Post

      You don't quite understand...people can not predict that government will go lie to them and SCAM them. Recession here is not like recession you experience anywhere else.

      Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that life is not fair and outside influences can ruin your life without any fault from your side...at all. It would be a wonderful world if each person was fully responsible for his destiny, but if you look at third world countries and, for example, North Korea, you will understand that this is far from true. Sometimes you just are born or get yourself in a situation where you are f**ked up and you either die or live in misery and slavery, whether it is physical or monetary.
      AruthurRose I'm not interested in arguing with you. I'm completely entitled to live my life however I choose. I'm sorry if you don't like my concept or don't agree with it. But that's your problem. I let other people decide how they want to live and I deserve the same respect in return.

      Personally I've experienced having my life ruined. Many times actually. I suffer from "Integration Disorder" which is also known as "Paranoid Schizophrenia." (We use that term because of ignorance and prejudice.)

      Try dealing with that. Because I can tell you it's much more difficult than losing your job and most other things people consider to be "difficult."
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490782].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
        Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post

        AruthurRose I'm not interested in arguing with you. I'm completely entitled to live my life however I choose. I'm sorry if you don't like my concept or don't agree with it. But that's your problem. I let other people decide how they want to live and I deserve the same respect in return.

        Personally I've experienced having my life ruined. Many times actually. I suffer from "Integration Disorder" which is also known as "Paranoid Schizophrenia." (We use that term because of ignorance and prejudice.)

        Try dealing with that. Because I can tell you it's much more difficult than losing your job and most other things people consider to be "difficult."
        Both of you guys are right in your own way.

        Not many people can overcome something like a currency devaluation like what the people of Argentina experienced in the late 90's.

        And...

        we all have our crosses to bear.

        But Zigzag is dealing with his situation like a man in the same way online marketers have to deal with creating a profitable online based business.

        Tools, resources, proven online business models and how to knowledge has never been this
        available and inexpensive - and even free.

        The WF is proof positive that there's plenty of help available.

        If you're crying in your beer - do get over it and take advantage whilst you can.

        TL
        Signature

        "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[556914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yaz8888
    If its going to be its up to ME!
    Signature

    Latest alternatives to Leather Gym Gloves

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[490985].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steadyon
      I like the saying along the lines of:

      "When you point the figure of blame at someone else, look where three of your other fingers are pointing".

      I guess that sums it up pretty well really.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[492146].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
        Originally Posted by Steadyon View Post

        I like the saying along the lines of:

        "When you point the figure of blame at someone else, look where three of your other fingers are pointing".

        I guess that sums it up pretty well really.
        I understand it can be tough out here for a newbies and non earners but taking responsibility is the first step in taking control of your destiny and shaping it into whatever you want it to be - especially when it comes to running a profitable online based business.

        These days will be looked on as the golden age for creating an online based business.

        Don't you dare allow anything or anyone to prevent you from getting yours!

        TL
        Signature

        "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[494058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Darth Executor
    Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

    Default Question? If You Never Create a Profitable Online Business, Who's Fault Is It??

    * The government's
    * Your parents'
    * Your spouse's
    * Illegal Immigrants
    * George Bush's
    * The world's
    * God's
    * Satan's
    * Genetics
    * Bad Luck
    * The neighbor who keeps having loud sex upstairs while you're trying to work
    * the neighbor who rearranges his furniture at 2 AM while you're trying to sleep
    * The police doing random drug searches in your house
    * Hitler's

    I'll post more as soon as I think of them. I'm bound to find out whose fault it is that I'm not making much money sooner or later!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[501019].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post

      * The government's
      * Your parents'
      * Your spouse's
      * Illegal Immigrants
      * George Bush's
      * The world's
      * God's
      * Satan's
      * Genetics
      * Bad Luck
      * The neighbor who keeps having loud sex upstairs while you're trying to work
      * the neighbor who rearranges his furniture at 2 AM while you're trying to sleep
      * The police doing random drug searches in your house
      * Hitler's

      I'll post more as soon as I think of them. I'm bound to find out whose fault it is that I'm not making much money sooner or later!
      That's quite a list and I hope you're not being serious.

      What I meant by sooner or later was that all it takes is a bit of testing to find a process that works for you or anyone else.

      It all starts with a online business model right?

      These days, we are able to test anything we want quite cheaply and quickly.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[504383].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mmacken
    I honestly believe its down to you and you alone. Yes some other factors outside of your control can have effects on the direction your business is going, but its you who needs to get your head down and work out a resolution. As the saying go's, "S##t happens, deal with it.".
    Signature
    http://www.Affiliate48.com - Free eBook For Getting Started With Affiliate Marketing
    http://www.MikesBigBlog.com - My Brand New IM Blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[517236].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Yeah that's the basic premise of taking 100% responsibility for your life, Mmacken.

      The truth is that life isn't fair.

      Bad things happen to good people. But it's our responsibility to make the most of every situation, every challenge, every setback, and every failure, and keep striving forward with our dreams, hopes, and ambitions--blaming nothing and no one when we fail--because that's our responsibility also.

      I couldn't recommend enough that people start taking 100% responsibility for their lives.

      Like I mentioned sometimes that's a bitter pill to swallow (especially when you've experienced as much failure as I have) but in the end it's well worth it and you'll be much more successful for having the courage to do so.
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[517270].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by mmacken View Post

      I honestly believe its down to you and you alone. Yes some other factors outside of your control can have effects on the direction your business is going, but its you who needs to get your head down and work out a resolution. As the saying go's, "S##t happens, deal with it.".

      There are always factors that can disrupt your online business but it's up to you to deal with them as they present themselves.

      and...

      It won't hurt to be proactive in order to prevent probs from popping up also.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[540554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Originally Posted by Michael Frisom View Post

    Hi forum:
    In my opinion success and failure of any business is responsibility of all managers team.
    Michael Frisom
    Department of Statistics
    Iowa University

    Straight from a man of letters.

    If you're a one man operation, that means you.



    TL
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[523151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Originally Posted by majidmaskat View Post

    I think that it's 50/50. 50% yourself because of whatever you were doing, and the other half the product itself

    Granted but don't we take responsibility for product selection also??


    TL
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[542395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Consof
    Perhaps the problem with the question (if I can call it a problem), is using the word "fault". After all, the fact you have at least tried to set up an online business means you aren't just giving up and let the world walk over you.

    There are a million things we could attribute as "faults". But the only fault is to give up. OK so maybe an online business is not your niche, but I feel that everyone has at least one thing in them that they can be really good at.

    So I would say no-one's fault. It's just life haha!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[556941].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by Consof View Post

      Perhaps the problem with the question (if I can call it a problem), is using the word "fault". After all, the fact you have at least tried to set up an online business means you aren't just giving up and let the world walk over you.

      There are a million things we could attribute as "faults". But the only fault is to give up. OK so maybe an online business is not your niche, but I feel that everyone has at least one thing in them that they can be really good at.

      So I would say no-one's fault. It's just life haha!
      You're right, if a person never gives up they have not truly failed but accepting responsibility for everything in your business life is a great start to the path of success.

      This is a golden age as far as tools, resources and the how to knowledge base is concerned.

      Accept full responsibility for your fate and get strategically busy building your online business.

      TL
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[595433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nathan Hangen
    We are destined to get there when we are destined to get there. Sometimes it just isn't in the cards, now or ever. If it were easy and guaranteed, then it wouldn't be worth achieving.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[595443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Samuel Lee
    Would agree that it takes dedication and devotion to ensure success, particularly in internet marketing, I completely agree. Investing the right amount of time to begin with in setting up and establishing a quality reputation is always the key to success. All success rarely comes without effort, keep at it, and make sure that you have chosen one method or plan and stick to it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[597009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    It's mines.

    It doesn't matter if it's online or offline, it's ALWAYS my fault.

    I used to be a professional "blame game" player, but I realized
    I was getting no where. Life and business became a joy when
    I started taking responsibility for my mistakes, trials and errors.

    Becuase now I could LEARN from them. You can't learn from
    something if you give that power to someone else. But if you
    take credit for your success AND your failures, you're 10 steps
    closer to winning the game.
    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin_Hutto
    Ultimately, a lot of it comes down to a couple of personal traits - persistence and optimism... Persistence in that you are willing to do whatever it takes and not give up (Calvin Coolidge has a great quote about persistence).... And optimism because it takes optimism to keep starting even though you might have failed in the past. And, generally I have noticed that a lot of people immediately jump to criticism and start pointing out all the reasons that something wont work - this gives them an excuse to not even try.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author activetrader
    What is up with all the fault seeking?

    Why would someone think of finding fault?

    Those who are fault seekers do so to justify failure.

    With a fault seeking attitude one can never succeed.

    For those of you who have not yet created a profitable business, instead of seeking fault (in yourself, in bad economy, in someone else) reprogram your mind - instead of seeking the answers to find who's at fault, ask yourself

    "what can I do differently?"

    "What can I learn from my experience?"

    "how can I become more successful?"

    "what do I need to learn in order to become successful?"
    Signature

    Me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489806].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrdomains
      I think it is all the Warrior ForumĀ“s fault

      But.. I also agree with this:

      Originally Posted by activetrader View Post


      For those of you who have not yet created a profitable business, instead of seeking fault (in yourself, in bad economy, in someone else) reprogram your mind - instead of seeking the answers to find who's at fault, ask yourself

      "what can I do differently?"

      "What can I learn from my experience?"

      "how can I become more successful?"

      "what do I need to learn in order to become successful?"
      And then there is another group of people who are not into this solely for the money but for the action, excitement, hope and emotion. For them it is something of a hobby and if their projects are profitable or not is less important than if it stimulates them. The hobbyists might not know they are hobbyists just like smokers might "not know" they are addicted.

      If enjoyment of the game is what matters, the more those projects bounce back and forth all the time between profit and loss the bigger the stimulus.

      I put forth the notion that the vast majority of successful marketers entered the arena as hobbyists.

      The difference is they discovered that a couple of effective thrusts often provide more stimulation than the same-old back and forth.
      Signature

      Free action plan : Think less. Do more.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    The question is like saying "if you never learn to play the piano well - who's fault is it"

    There's only one answer.....

    Whatever your goal is - only YOU are responsible for reaching it. We all have excuses why other things/people can be blamed but ultimately those are influences not deciding factors.

    You only fail once you stop trying.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2490285].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Taylor French
      Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

      The question is like saying "if you never learn to play the piano well - who's fault is it"

      There's only one answer.....

      Whatever your goal is - only YOU are responsible for reaching it. We all have excuses why other things/people can be blamed but ultimately those are influences not deciding factors.

      You only fail once you stop trying.
      Quick question...

      How long do you think one should keep trying before they give up at something?

      Obviously, not everyone is cut out for every task. What if someone continues trying to do something persistently for 5, 10, 15 years or more and still fails miserably? Would it be a weakness of character or intelligence if they gave up?

      (This question isn't directed at you, but everyone in the conversation.)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2490487].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Matthew Duggan
        Originally Posted by Taylor French View Post

        Quick question...

        How long do you think one should keep trying before they give up at something?
        Interesting question Taylor.

        Personally, I think that if one has honestly tried to make something work, followed a system, got a mentor and set a time limit on getting the results they want (this part's important), then giving up is an intelligence.

        Giving up because you can't be bothered or because you chose something that you weren't committed to is not so bright.

        Setting a realistic time limit to make stuff work is a useful thing to do as it prevents spending eons of time banging your head against the same wall.

        "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2490695].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
        Originally Posted by Taylor French View Post

        Quick question...

        How long do you think one should keep trying before they give up at something?

        Obviously, not everyone is cut out for every task. What if someone continues trying to do something persistently for 5, 10, 15 years or more and still fails miserably? Would it be a weakness of character or intelligence if they gave up?

        (This question isn't directed at you, but everyone in the conversation.)
        Actually sometimes it's the opposite - you're stupid if you don't give up if you're intending to keep doing the same thing that's not working. (what is it they say about insanity)

        It's a good point and actually not everyone is cut out for the standard IM lifestyle.

        I end up looking for excuses to get out of the house sometimes - yesterday I got a hair cut, today I went to a local business group meeting, tomorrow it'll be something else - since I could theoretically actually stay in bed and earn my money it means I need to create a working ethos in order not to stay sat in the house on the computer all the time.

        I'm sure this would drive some people crazy - I love to travel and the price I pay for being mobile is that I give up some structure and don't commit to anything too far in advance, so I can always just jump on a plane and go away whenever I like.

        Also - I'm single so I don't have to ask permission from anyone and I don't upset anyone when I make impulse decisions to travel.

        For some people - they can't work from home and even if they can - they don't. I know some IMers who have offices they go in to just so they're not in the house with the kids.

        Also - our income can be very variable and that's not for everyone either - if you like the perception of security and a reliable income then IM may leave you wanting. However if you like to ability to work from anywhere with no ceiling on your income potential and building your work around your lifestyle - it might be right.

        I do think that the idea is what some people want and the reality doesn't live up to that for them and rather than kidding themselves that they're working on their plan - they would be better off finding something that they're good at and enjoy.

        Life's too short to always be struggling, so if after 10 years of something you still don't feel like you're getting anywhere - you'd probably be stupid not to ask yourself if you should be doing something else.

        Failing quickly is often a good thing if you learn quickly too.

        When you get down to it - you don't know how long you've got in this life and it's better to find something you love that pays well than to try and force a great income out of something that's out of your scope of skills just because it's working for some other people.

        Andy
        Signature

        nothing to see here.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2490740].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jlucado
    Success resides inside ourselves.
    Don't just try. Do or die!

    And all that other good stuff that makes people keep going.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2490730].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whyeyeschoice
    There are various reasons why someone would not succeed in profiting in an online business. For 1 the desire to succeed online has to be in there heart. Not just in there mind. This is the Fuel to help you find the Success You Desire. If an individual Decides to be success in marketing...noone can stop you from finding it. It's up to the YOU!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2490768].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Taylor French View Post

      Quick question...

      How long do you think one should keep trying before they give up at something?

      Obviously, not everyone is cut out for every task. What if someone continues trying to do something persistently for 5, 10, 15 years or more and still fails miserably? Would it be a weakness of character or intelligence if they gave up?

      (This question isn't directed at you, but everyone in the conversation.)
      There's a big difference between giving up and deciding to do something different. It would be a weakness of character if they "gave up". It would be an intelligent decision if they took responsibility for not being able to succeed at something and decided to pursue something else.

      There's no shame in recognizing that you just aren't good at something. Take Andy's example of playing the piano. Yes, with practice and application, I could learn to play the notes correctly. But I don't have the 'ear' to play at the level I would aim for. So I no longer try.

      Just because it feels good when you stop is no reason to keep beating your head against a wall...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491077].message }}

Trending Topics