Sell my E-Book on Amazon or iBooks?

28 replies
Hey All,

I have an E-Book that I am thinking about promoting on either the iBooks Store or on the Amazon Kindle. This is an instructional manual.

What would you say are the advantages/disadvantages to both?

Thanks.

Jeremy
#amazon #ebook #ibooks #sell
  • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
    Both.

    iBooks uses ePub format so you can also upload it to Barnes & Noble for the Nook.

    Then use the mobi format for the Kindle.

    Sell it everywhere.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5582069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author limerickbob
    I agree with Alan. Why not promote it using both platforms and others as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5582106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kangtj
    both of them are good, but amazon kindle's report is simple and lack of detail
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5582117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Howe
    sell it everywhere, why limit yourself?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5582151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I would definitely get on Kindle. You can use ibooks also, but you should ALSO look into something called "Smashwords" that is like a Kindle for the Sony Ebook Reader. Hugely popular.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5582373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy James
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. It would be really neat to "knock it out of the park."

    Going forward, do you think that instructional manuals will be something that will be bought in this format? I'd love to hear your opinions.
    Signature

    Have you ever been a ticked off customer? My reports gets you Satisfaction and Resolution! Click HERE to check it out!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5582866].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5583008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy James
    I have checked Smashwords and, after reading their site, have determined that this may be the best place to sell my e-book. Hopefully - it will generate the million sales that I want to generate in a 24 hour period.
    Signature

    Have you ever been a ticked off customer? My reports gets you Satisfaction and Resolution! Click HERE to check it out!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5586392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author budfox
    Bad advice on this thread. Amazon is the giant in this space. You need their cooperation however to market your book in their system. Which means accepting an agreement that you make it exclusive to Amazon, at least for 90 days (and it will automatically renew unless you change it).

    The choice is yours - sell it everywhere and have it recline in obscurity, or play ball with Amazon and have them market your book for you in their system. They know what they are doing. They are an excellent partner. They are so good, in fact, that I speculate within 2 years they will consolidate the currently fragmented ebook reader marketplace in their favor - it will then be Amazon vs. Apple and Apple will be the minor player (Amazon already has a free Kindle app for the iPad). So by betting on Amazon you might end up getting those other markets anyway.
    Signature

    Romans 10:13

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5591395].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Breakinglink
      Originally Posted by budfox View Post

      Bad advice on this thread. Amazon is the giant in this space. You need their cooperation however to market your book in their system. Which means accepting an agreement that you make it exclusive to Amazon, at least for 90 days (and it will automatically renew unless you change it).

      The choice is yours - sell it everywhere and have it recline in obscurity, or play ball with Amazon and have them market your book for you in their system. They know what they are doing. They are an excellent partner. They are so good, in fact, that I speculate within 2 years they will consolidate the currently fragmented ebook reader marketplace in their favor - it will then be Amazon vs. Apple and Apple will be the minor player (Amazon already has a free Kindle app for the iPad). So by betting on Amazon you might end up getting those other markets anyway.
      I am just asking for a clarification. The biggest reason you say to stay on Amazon exclusively is nothing more than a hunch? Why not go with as many sellers as possible in this case?
      Signature

      "Someday" is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you.


      Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of. -Ben Franklin

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5591431].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Don Schenk
      Originally Posted by budfox View Post

      Bad advice on this thread. Amazon is the giant in this space. You need their cooperation however to market your book in their system. Which means accepting an agreement that you make it exclusive to Amazon, at least for 90 days (and it will automatically renew unless you change it).

      The choice is yours - sell it everywhere and have it recline in obscurity, or play ball with Amazon and have them market your book for you in their system. They know what they are doing. They are an excellent partner. They are so good, in fact, that I speculate within 2 years they will consolidate the currently fragmented ebook reader marketplace in their favor - it will then be Amazon vs. Apple and Apple will be the minor player (Amazon already has a free Kindle app for the iPad). So by betting on Amazon you might end up getting those other markets anyway.

      Not True!

      You are thinking of Kindle Select - an entirely different animal in which you give away your book FREE at Amazon by temporarly letting Amazon list it in their "Select Library," and you are paid from a pool of money Amazon sets aside. It's really different. This is the only system at Kindle that requires the 90 exclusive.

      Only if you choose to use Kindle Select must you agree not to sell your book elsewhere for 90 days.

      Here is what Amazon says,

      "Introducing KDP Select

      Introducing KDP Select - a new option to make money and promote your book. When you make your book exclusive to Kindle for at least 90 days, it will be part of the Kindle Owners' Lending Library for the same period and you will earn your share of a monthly fund when readers borrow your books from the library. You will also be able to promote your book as free for up to 5 days during these 90 days. Learn more"

      When you click on the "Learn more" it takes you to this page for the full information"
      https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/KDPSelect

      With the regular system at Kindle you can sell your book elsewhere at any time. The only thing you can't do is sell it elsewhere for less money than at Kindle.

      Jeremy - you can also publish it as a printed book through Amazon's CreateSpace system. Another way to publish it as a printed book is through Lightning Source, Inc - which is owned by Ingram - the largest book distributor in the US. This would make your book available in book stores.

      Lightning Source is who I use, but be forewarned, they will make you jump through many hoops first such as, you must be what they consider a "real publisher" with business licenses, company checking acount in the name of the publishing company, and you must have your own ISBN set of numbers.

      Forget about using LuLu. They are a vanity publisher who adds additional markup to you book over and ablove what you can get it printed for by CreateSpace or Lightning.

      CreateSpace will supply ISBNs

      :-Don
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592335].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeremy James
        Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post

        Not True!

        You are thinking of Kindle Select - an entirely different animal in which you give away your book FREE at Amazon by temporarly letting Amazon list it in their "Select Library," and you are paid from a pool of money Amazon sets aside. It's really different. This is the only system at Kindle that requires the 90 exclusive.

        Only if you choose to use Kindle Select must you agree not to sell your book elsewhere for 90 days.

        Here is what Amazon says,

        "Introducing KDP Select

        Introducing KDP Select - a new option to make money and promote your book. When you make your book exclusive to Kindle for at least 90 days, it will be part of the Kindle Owners' Lending Library for the same period and you will earn your share of a monthly fund when readers borrow your books from the library. You will also be able to promote your book as free for up to 5 days during these 90 days. Learn more"

        When you click on the "Learn more" it takes you to this page for the full information"
        https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/KDPSelect

        With the regular system at Kindle you can sell your book elsewhere at any time. The only thing you can't do is sell it elsewhere for less money than at Kindle.

        Jeremy - you can also publish it as a printed book through Amazon's CreateSpace system. Another way to publish it as a printed book is through Lightning Source, Inc - which is owned by Ingram - the largest book distributor in the US. This would make your book available in book stores.

        Lightning Source is who I use, but be forewarned, they will make you jump through many hoops first such as, you must be what they consider a "real publisher" with business licenses, company checking acount in the name of the publishing company, and you must have your own ISBN set of numbers.

        Forget about using LuLu. They are a vanity publisher who adds additional markup to you book over and ablove what you can get it printed for by CreateSpace or Lightning.

        CreateSpace will supply ISBNs

        :-Don

        GREAT GREAT INFORMATION!

        I don't think I'd do it as a physical product - it's less than 20 pages, and I don't see that being a viable physical product.

        I hopefully will be published on Amazon this afternoon!

        Jeremy
        Signature

        Have you ever been a ticked off customer? My reports gets you Satisfaction and Resolution! Click HERE to check it out!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594619].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author megaquests
        Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post

        Lightning Source is who I use, but be forewarned, they will make you jump through many hoops first such as, you must be what they consider a "real publisher" with business licenses, company checking acount in the name of the publishing company, and you must have your own ISBN set of numbers.

        Forget about using LuLu. They are a vanity publisher who adds additional markup to you book over and ablove what you can get it printed for by CreateSpace or Lightning.
        CreateSpace will supply ISBNs
        :-Don
        this is great, thanks Don.. i was going to use LuLu to begin with.. as i just wanted to get a few of my books printed and in my hands.. i've created accounts createspace and lightningsource.. sounds like great advice, many thanks

        how are things for you? do you publish through these guys, kindle or looking at ibooks?
        just wonder how your physical sales compare to digital..
        thanks again
        Eugene
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5653935].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author megaquests
      Originally Posted by budfox View Post

      Bad advice on this thread. Amazon is the giant in this space. You need their cooperation however to market your book in their system. Which means accepting an agreement that you make it exclusive to Amazon, at least for 90 days (and it will automatically renew unless you change it).

      The choice is yours - sell it everywhere and have it recline in obscurity, or play ball with Amazon and have them market your book for you in their system. They know what they are doing. They are an excellent partner. They are so good, in fact, that I speculate within 2 years they will consolidate the currently fragmented ebook reader marketplace in their favor - it will then be Amazon vs. Apple and Apple will be the minor player (Amazon already has a free Kindle app for the iPad). So by betting on Amazon you might end up getting those other markets anyway.
      this sounds like good advice.. consistent with what ive been reading.. im just at the research stage.. but have come to the same opinion.. play ball with amazon and create something unique enough for ibooks as well.. do you do both now yourself?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5653808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JenDesigns
    There seems to be only 2 opinions. Just Amazon or everywhere. I've done a quick research and noticed quite a number of successful self-pub authors are publishing strictly on Amazon. However there are some authors who believes that their books should be easily obtained by readers using other than Kindle. eg. Nook, iPad and such.

    The main reason for the authors to go exclusive with Amazon is for the advertising and free promotions. From what I read on some writers group forums, the free promotions really helps you with the sales ranking.

    Although I'd like to jump straight to Amazon when my book is complete, the thought of not trying other platforms is just annoying. The "what ifs" kept on playing on my mind. So what I'll do is to sell everywhere for the first month and then go exclusive with Amazon to compare the sales. Not sure whether that is acceptable though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ace666
    Sell that sucker everywhere, no need to limit it to just one platform, it may need to be slightly modified for each one, but you will have a larger reach across a multiple of platforms
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592203].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tharith
    You should sell your e-book at Amazon. It is the best place where most people find e-book there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy James
    How in the world does one convert from Word/.DOC to HTML?

    Jeremy
    Signature

    Have you ever been a ticked off customer? My reports gets you Satisfaction and Resolution! Click HERE to check it out!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595655].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
    Sell it on each and every marketplace. It earn your product publicity
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author budfox
      I wrote an entire explanation in this post but then erased it because why the heck am I going to train my competition for free here.

      Suffice it to say that if you want Amazon as your partner marketing your book for you within their system, then you must make it exclusive to them - at least for 90 days. Sucks but is reality.

      Sure you can not enroll it in KDP Select and then also upload to smashwords and have it available on the other platforms. And then nobody is going to find it at any of those places.

      Damn I think I said too much anyway.
      Signature

      Romans 10:13

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595847].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author megaquests
        Originally Posted by budfox View Post

        I wrote an entire explanation in this post but then erased it because why the heck am I going to train my competition for free here.
        "What goes around comes around" Bud... many thanks for sharing.. excellent advice here especially from yourself and Don..

        btw used your link to create a cnchost account.. are you an affiliate or your company?
        i was on the look out for a good merchant account that will work for me here in UK..
        i'm not sure they are what im looking for but thanks anyway.. pm me if you like on that one
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5653962].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author alashton
          Hold on a minute- have we not overlooked something here, cos I had a similar question about instruction manuals and I discovered that you cant use colour photos, view videos or any detailed graphics as the kindle is designed for reading text.

          So unless your manual is pure text, and few are, then the Kindle is not the answer
          Signature
          Ash100.com - Write to Know

          Writing for the offline and online world
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5714714].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
            Originally Posted by alashton View Post

            Hold on a minute- have we not overlooked something here, cos I had a similar question about instruction manuals and I discovered that you cant use colour photos, view videos or any detailed graphics as the kindle is designed for reading text.

            So unless your manual is pure text, and few are, then the Kindle is not the answer
            I'm just wondering where you "found this out" at?

            My understanding is, that as far as color photos go, you can use them but the regular kindle will show them in a 16 color grey format, however all of the other kindle versions will show the color photos if they have a color screen, such as the Kindle Fire for example.

            Terra
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5714950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author poweruphosting
    Go for Amazon. They are the best in this industry
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5653843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy James
    I have some artwork/photos in my e-book, most are filler, but, a few are actually necessary. How in the world do I get it formatted so I can get it on Amazon?
    Signature

    Have you ever been a ticked off customer? My reports gets you Satisfaction and Resolution! Click HERE to check it out!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5720977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jmorris18
    Hey Jeremy , here are some thoughts - create multiple versions of the same book that can be utilized on different platforms - this way you can test to see what marketplace is providing the best results. You could change the titles for each version , change some of the content around , change / reword the TOC. If you use diagrams you could use different versions. For example - lets say your instructional manual is on digital cameras. You cover the technique on how to get the perfect lighting set up. You could use an image of one brand of camera , in the next version use an image of another brand of camera etc. These are just some thoughts - It would require additional work. However, if it is 20 pages then maybe it would not be as difficult. You would have an Amazon Version , Nook version and or Ipad version. No issue of having to agree to a solo distributor for 90 days etc.. Anyway , I hope this may give you some ideas to work with. Wish you well with your new publication. One more thing - to prevent the same customers buying from different platforms.. You could easily include a written notice in the first few pages stating something like - You have just ordered the Amazon version of my book. I also have different titles ( but include the same information ) on the Nook platform as well as the Ipad platform. If you want to have a particular version for your mobile device - feel free to order the particular platform version. However , you can order one copy from either platform and get the same information...

    Jason
    Signature

    Jason Morris

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5725162].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dikoro
      In my experience. Amazon is NOT easy and could take months and months to take off. If you sell fiction that's another story. Don't forget to set the option that allow you to sell on other markets.

      I found selling my ebook on my own site that has fans is much quicker. However, I agree with most that sell it everywhere is the way to go.

      iBook is even much harder than amazon too to get buyers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7884986].message }}

Trending Topics