Do you dislike clicking affiliate links...WHY????

40 replies
These are my own thoughts.

Affiliate links..... everywhere I see ### not affiliate link ###

My way of looking at this is someone has recommended to you a certain product.
Now lets pretend this product is $10.00

We have two scenarios
  1. You click non affiliate link to check out the mentioned product.
  2. You click on that person's affiliate link to check out the mentioned product.
Nothing is different so far. Now you love the mentioned product and you decide to purchase it.


Neither link gives you a discount, the product still cost you $10.


The company or person who made the product gets a sale....GREAT.


The person who purchased the product before you, took the time to evaluate the product, took time to let you know about the product, and in turn has put you in touch with a product that you may well not have known about before.


In my thinking I am grateful for that person letting me know, and am quite happy that they get a couple of $$$ commission.


Remember in the end of the day the product still cost you $10.00


The next time someone sends you an email and puts you onto a product that will help you in your business.....maybe send them an email and say thanks for telling me about xyz product, do you have affiliate link for it.


You never know one day you might send them an email for a product that makes you an affiliate commission.


Would love to know your thoughts guys and gals.
#affiliate #clicking #dislike #linkswhy
  • Profile picture of the author gotti3636
    The thing is that when something is being promoted by an affiliate...it will most likely be a very biased review in order to get the sale

    Because of this, people assume that they are being lied to when they see an affiliate link. The key is to gain the trust of your customers before throwing affiliate links in their face.
    Signature
    Always looking to invest in or partner with people on business ideas. PM me!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604322].message }}
    • Originally Posted by gotti3636 View Post

      The thing is that when something is being promoted by an affiliate...it will most likely be a very biased review in order to get the sale
      This can be very true, so what I will do is do some research myself.
      If I find that the product is a good one, then I have no problem giving the affiliate the commission.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604441].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aaaa33030
      Originally Posted by gotti3636 View Post

      The thing is that when something is being promoted by an affiliate...it will most likely be a very biased review in order to get the sale

      Because of this, people assume that they are being lied to when they see an affiliate link. The key is to gain the trust of your customers before throwing affiliate links in their face.
      To make the whole process easier simply purchase a domain and cloak it to the affiliate link. In that way they only see your domain and the product
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5613370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave147
    I prefer to use the affiliate link rather than giving the vendor the full amount. After all, it was the affiliate who brought the item to my attention.
    Signature

    THESE PRODUCTS FREE @ adsense-expert
    When You Get The 300 Logo Templates Here
    $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aussie Dazzler
      Originally Posted by gotti3636 View Post

      The thing is that when something is being promoted by an affiliate...it will most likely be a very biased review in order to get the sale

      Because of this, people assume that they are being lied to when they see an affiliate link. The key is to gain the trust of your customers before throwing affiliate links in their face.
      This can be true and yeah for sure a big percentage is probably just being plugged to make that affiliate commission, but in the end of the day, it is your decision to buy the product or not. Due diligence.

      Cheers Gotti

      Originally Posted by dave147 View Post

      I prefer to use the affiliate link rather than giving the vendor the full amount. After all, it was the affiliate who brought the item to my attention.
      Hi Dave,
      That is my thought directly. Nothing against the vendor, as if I was purchasing the product the vendor did well. This way 2 people win.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604350].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robert Michael
      It depends on how they present the link.

      I've seen people who rip off the vendor's entire sales page, graphics and all, then at the bottom they say "BEWARE OF FAKE SITES CLAIMING TO SELL THIS, CLICK HERE FOR THE REAL ONE"

      Then the "real" link is their affiliate link.

      If someone has to resort to that kind of tactic to make a sale, I'm not buying from them. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who is turned off by that sort of thing.

      Now, if someone posts a LEGIT review of the software (I can tell when they have actually used it, or if they are just echoing the FAQ) and it helps me and persuades me to give it a try, then sure - I'll buy from their link.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5606282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Halcyon
    If I understand the OP correctly, you're asking why to some people go out of their way to avoid clicking an affiliate link- Even if they're in the market to buy the product?

    Some people just refuse to do anything that they perceive as helping someone make money from them. I know it sounds silly to a marketer, but there are some people who see profit as a bad thing and don't want to be a part of anyone's profit making. For some reason they don't have a problem making the purchase, the only problem is with the affiliate earning the commission. It's just a quirk of human nature.

    For my list, I tell them directly that the link is an affiliate link and why it's important that they don't deny my commission. (i.e. I need to take my cat to the vet or my kid needs braces) I'm sure there are some that still don't care, but since I have a good relationship with my lists most people are happy to help me earn the commission.
    Signature

    [

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604368].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aussie Dazzler
      Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

      If I understand the OP correctly, you're asking why to some people go out of their way to avoid clicking an affiliate link- Even if they're in the market to buy the product?

      Some people just refuse to do anything that they perceive as helping someone make money from them. I know it sounds silly to a marketer, but there are some people who see profit as a bad thing and don't want to be a part of anyone's profit making. For some reason they don't have a problem making the purchase, the only problem is with the affiliate earning the commission. It's just a quirk of human nature.

      For my list, I tell them directly that the link is an affiliate link and why it's important that they don't deny my commission. (i.e. I need to take my cat to the vet or my kid needs braces) I'm sure there are some that still don't care, but since I have a good relationship with my lists most people are happy to help me earn the commission.
      Too true.
      I was really just asking opinions....but your so true Halycon.

      The mentality in it all just gets me...

      And I am glad to hear you have a good relationship with your list, and good point on making it known that something is an affiliate link.

      Nice stuff
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604397].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShaneGorry
      Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

      Some people just refuse to do anything that they perceive as helping someone make money from them. I know it sounds silly to a marketer, but there are some people who see profit as a bad thing and don't want to be a part of anyone's profit making. For some reason they don't have a problem making the purchase, the only problem is with the affiliate earning the commission. It's just a quirk of human nature.
      Yer, it gets even more weird when the same person is hell bent on making a profit themselves. I don't even bother looking to see if I'm clicking an affiliate link any more. It's the offer and not the pre sell or recommendation that I judge my purchase on.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604823].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Arroway
    For some reason, affiliate links go along with a feeling of "ulterior motive", and I usually don't click them or copy the link and delete the ref-part. I adopted this behavior way back when I was a newbie and felt people were dishonest in order to get a sale. It's only sometimes that I think: yes, this is good and this person deserves the commission.

    Allen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604481].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aussie Dazzler
      Originally Posted by Arroway View Post

      For some reason, affiliate links go along with a feeling of "ulterior motive", and I usually don't click them or copy the link and delete the ref-part. I adopted this behavior way back when I was a newbie and felt people were dishonest in order to get a sale. It's only sometimes that I think: yes, this is good and this person deserves the commission.

      Allen
      It can be an ulterior motive Allen, and that is a shame for the affiliate industry. But hey if the product helps in your business I figure that I best purchase it either way.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Miguelito203
    Originally Posted by Aussie Dazzler View Post

    These are my own thoughts.

    Affiliate links..... everywhere I see ### not affiliate link ###

    My way of looking at this is someone has recommended to you a certain product.
    Now lets pretend this product is $10.00

    We have two scenarios
    1. You click non affiliate link to check out the mentioned product.
    2. You click on that person's affiliate link to check out the mentioned product.
    Nothing is different so far. Now you love the mentioned product and you decide to purchase it.


    Neither link gives you a discount, the product still cost you $10.


    The company or person who made the product gets a sale....GREAT.


    The person who purchased the product before you, took the time to evaluate the product, took time to let you know about the product, and in turn has put you in touch with a product that you may well not have known about before.


    In my thinking I am grateful for that person letting me know, and am quite happy that they get a couple of $$$ commission.


    Remember in the end of the day the product still cost you $10.00


    The next time someone sends you an email and puts you onto a product that will help you in your business.....maybe send them an email and say thanks for telling me about xyz product, do you have affiliate link for it.


    You never know one day you might send them an email for a product that makes you an affiliate commission.


    Would love to know your thoughts guys and gals.
    If I'm looking for something, and I can tell the person took the time to write an honest review (and I like the product), I will purposefully purchase through their link. I have people e-mailing me all the time about stuff. They ask me to make recommendations to them and what not. I tell them it's an affiliate link and that I would appreciate the commission. I also mention that it doesn't change the price. If you provide people with value and are honest with them, they will happy purchase from you. Trust is a big factor.

    Joey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604517].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aussie Dazzler
      Originally Posted by Miguelito203 View Post

      If I'm looking for something, and I can tell the person took the time to write an honest review (and I like the product), I will purposefully purchase through their link. I have people e-mailing me all the time about stuff. They ask me to make recommendations to them and what not. I tell them it's an affiliate link and that I would appreciate the commission. I also mention that it doesn't change the price. If you provide people with value and are honest with them, they will happy purchase from you. Trust is a big factor.

      Joey
      Hey Joey,

      I think a good message here is TRUST
      Cheers Darren
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Taniwha
    I always feel I get that 'dirty' feeling as though I'm being sold to when I click an affiliate link.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604714].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      This doesn't apply so much among internet marketers (who, unlike the other 99% of customers, typically know something about how affiliate payments are structured) but many people imagine - unless you explain it to them really clearly - that they'll pay more if they buy through an affiliate link.

      Since the law, and the regulators, rightly and properly require disclosure of the fact that they're buying through an affiliate link, it's essential to explain to customers that the affiliate commission is deducted from the vendor's profit, not added to the customer's payment. In a whole range of niches, my sales increased significantly, when I started doing that. Detailed affiliate disclosures on all my sites have really improved my income.

      Just my perspective - albeit slightly digressive from the question originally asked - sorry.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604758].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    A lot of people will do more research and look for other affiliates that offer incentives: bonuses, bonus products, training, etc.The product is still $10, so what is the difference?

    Answer: Regardless if there is or is not an affiliate link the buyer receives more for their money spent ($10) because they bought the product from a vendor that gave them more for their money, i.e. incentives.

    Example. Marketer asks me to recommend a membership application with all of the whistles and bells. There are only three that I recommend based on my own experience with all three and I use them myself. There are minor differences between the three and I make a review for comparison. I also go as far to compare the incentives.

    Does that guarantee that I will get the affiliate commission? No, not always because if the sales page is cookied to give the sale to the first referral and my affiliate link was not the first referral for this customer >>> I do not earn the affiliate commission.

    Jeffery 100% :-)
    Signature
    In the minute it took me to write this post.. someone died of Covid 19. RIP.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmandaT
    Another reason you may see that so often is because some forums and sites, such as Warrior Forum, do not allow you to include affiliate links in your posts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5604957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lukedidit
    I used to put a sentence on my amazon affiliate sites explaining they were affiliate links, but now I don't bother.

    I don't bother as it just raises alarm in the reader, when there need not be any concern at all.

    The way I see it - at the end of the day it costs them nothing extra, and if they have problem with me making 5-10% off of the sale for referring them, then they can royally piss off and read someone else's content for free.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5605006].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by lukedidit View Post

      I used to put a sentence on my amazon affiliate sites explaining they were affiliate links, but now I don't bother.
      For heaven's sake ... then you're breaking the law as well as Amazon's terms of service, Luke

      Originally Posted by lukedidit View Post

      The way I see it - at the end of the day it costs them nothing extra
      And you're not interested in how the FTC and Amazon themselves see it?!

      I'll share a little secret with you, Luke: it's possible to turn "honest and open disclosure" to your advantage, and make far more sales with it than without it. (And live without fear of getting your sites taken down and commissions not paid.)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5605603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author megawarrior
    I think some people feel that they've been insincerely recommended a product when they see an affiliate link, and hence believe that the person doesn't deserve a commission.

    I myself am not bothered if a link is affiliate or not because I'll do my own further research first before purchasing something rather than relying solely on the affiliate's 'review'.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5605143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eduard Stinga
    Depends on who sends them, but let's be honest, some people just send you a lot of affiliate links without ever trying the products out or believing in them. And yes.. there's quite a lot of them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5606257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
    I use the affiliate link because it cost me nothing and I figure, it is because of this person I found what I was looking for and they deserve to get something for letting me know about it.

    I also believe what goes around comes around and so I think people who find out about something through an affiliate and then get it without going through the affiliate link are only shooting themselves in the foot anyway.

    You can cheat a person in the short term but you can't cheat the Universe, fate, destiny, karma (whatever you want to call it) in the long term.
    Signature
    44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

    Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5606323].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Ogbin
    The affiliate link is a way of making money in the Internet. The people are so skeptical and avoid clicking to affiliate links when they don't trust the one that send them the link.

    If they trust you; they click in your affiliate links and thank you for that as a result because this is the human nature.

    I promote some products and working very well and I get the commission and people that are purchased from my affiliate links they ask me about the products.

    The main I discovered from my experience is that if you intend to build trust first you will end up getting commissions and also satisfied people. But if your aim is to selling affiliate links I am sure you end up failing.
    Signature
    Speedy Up - Jumping game that change your mood and put smile in your face :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5606420].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fixers
    Yeah when I first started out in IM and saw links I purposely didn't click the links somehow thinking hey this guy shouldnt be making money off me. Now of course this is how a lot of us make money so it seems stupid to deny a fellow IMer some commission!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5606443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanmilligan
    Banned
    Depends. If it was a product I paid for I don't appreciate it but if it was a free report or whatever I don't mind.

    However I think people should just be honest about it, if they suggest something and I'm going to buy it and they provided me the info for free, yeah I will buy through the link to help them out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5606459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ewan1998
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Aussie Dazzler View Post

    These are my own thoughts.

    Affiliate links..... everywhere I see ### not affiliate link ###

    My way of looking at this is someone has recommended to you a certain product.
    Now lets pretend this product is $10.00

    We have two scenarios
    1. You click non affiliate link to check out the mentioned product.
    2. You click on that person's affiliate link to check out the mentioned product.
    Nothing is different so far. Now you love the mentioned product and you decide to purchase it.


    Neither link gives you a discount, the product still cost you $10.


    The company or person who made the product gets a sale....GREAT.


    The person who purchased the product before you, took the time to evaluate the product, took time to let you know about the product, and in turn has put you in touch with a product that you may well not have known about before.


    In my thinking I am grateful for that person letting me know, and am quite happy that they get a couple of $$$ commission.


    Remember in the end of the day the product still cost you $10.00


    The next time someone sends you an email and puts you onto a product that will help you in your business.....maybe send them an email and say thanks for telling me about xyz product, do you have affiliate link for it.


    You never know one day you might send them an email for a product that makes you an affiliate commission.


    Would love to know your thoughts guys and gals.

    I've actually never thought about it that way...

    I suppose your right

    I would only feel better if it was a product of interest though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5607773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmanjack
    I use the affiliate links for the same reason many have mentioned already. It cost me the same either way.

    On more expensive products i will search the net for a discount or rebate though so in that case the person that i found out about the product from may not get the commission and i get a lower price.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5612150].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robert Michael
      Originally Posted by wolfmanjack View Post

      I use the affiliate links for the same reason many have mentioned already. It cost me the same either way.

      On more expensive products i will search the net for a discount or rebate though so in that case the person that i found out about the product from may not get the commission and i get a lower price.
      Any good affiliate will have the discount built-in to their link on expensive products.

      OR if that isnt an option, they should provide you with the coupon code to use at checkout. I know I do.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5612455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Avy Smith
    Originally Posted by Aussie Dazzler View Post

    These are my own thoughts.

    Affiliate links..... everywhere I see ### not affiliate link ###

    My way of looking at this is someone has recommended to you a certain product.
    Now lets pretend this product is $10.00

    We have two scenarios
    1. You click non affiliate link to check out the mentioned product.
    2. You click on that person's affiliate link to check out the mentioned product.
    Nothing is different so far. Now you love the mentioned product and you decide to purchase it.


    Neither link gives you a discount, the product still cost you $10.


    The company or person who made the product gets a sale....GREAT.


    The person who purchased the product before you, took the time to evaluate the product, took time to let you know about the product, and in turn has put you in touch with a product that you may well not have known about before.


    In my thinking I am grateful for that person letting me know, and am quite happy that they get a couple of $$$ commission.


    Remember in the end of the day the product still cost you $10.00


    The next time someone sends you an email and puts you onto a product that will help you in your business.....maybe send them an email and say thanks for telling me about xyz product, do you have affiliate link for it.


    You never know one day you might send them an email for a product that makes you an affiliate commission.


    Would love to know your thoughts guys and gals.
    I would not like to click it unless I need the product and I would not like to post it where it does not need to be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5612443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill Cousins
    I never had a problem with this. I would just go do a little research on my own and get my own opinion on the product and then go back and use the aff link (usually of someone who I liked and who's mailing list I was on) to buy it.

    What the hell I love making money so why would I stop someone else from making some?

    That is a non circulation attitude and you need to let money circulate!

    That's my 2 cents!

    BC
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5612694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ochaim
    What an awesome discussion!

    Here's a twist to the question.

    If you are on several mailing lists that tend to send you the same offer for a new wso, does this change anything? Does the first one you get receive the commission? The top email you open after 5 have sent already? (This would be the most recent email received)

    Being new to I'm and having bought several wso's over the past 4 weeks, I'm on several warrior lists. Most I find just send any and everything with the most bizarre presells. Adding no value, just stuff like "hey you should check this out, this guy's an idiot/handsome/standing on his head" well, not really, but you know what I mean.

    Why am I still on their lists? Cuz I still want the updates to the wso's I bought.

    So now I tend to look for offers from warriors that seem genuine or they've answered questions and were very helpful.

    I received an offer for a wso where I'd receive one of his older wso's if I clicked his affiliate link for a new wso by another warrior. I sent the transaction details and needless to say, it didn't happen.

    I'm off his list and that new wso was BS in my humble opinion. But that was the last time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5612725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill Cousins
    "I received an offer for a wso where I'd receive one of his older wso's if I clicked his affiliate link for a new wso by another warrior. I sent the transaction details and needless to say, it didn't happen."

    That totally sucks!

    BC
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5612744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DoriFriend2
    I click on affiliate links and am fine with it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5612821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
    I always make sure to click on affiliate links if the site gave some good information or helped me in any way. I like them to get the credit they deserve.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5612925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WriterWahm
    I have no problem clicking affiliate links. NOW. Before I started with IM I had a BIG problem with that when the marketer did not disclose. So with that mentality fresh in my mind, I tell my list it's an affiliate link.

    Generally though, I try not to promote anything unless I can put my name to it. I test it first and then tell them about it. Seems to work for me.
    Signature

    PM me if you want a romantic fiction ghostwriter.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5613567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author juninhop
    because it gives the impression that you are being used by another person just so they can get a commission...affliate marketing is a part of IM but it seems that too many people just don't care about what they're promoting even if it is to the detriment of those who buy the product(s) being promoted
    Signature
    ABC
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5614409].message }}

Trending Topics