The first and most important mind shift I had to make was to realise that I was building a business, not just working for some one. It took me a while to realise this, but once I started running my internet marketing as a business, everything changed. The following steps helped me coin that concept:
- Register a domain with your company name, a domain is just as good as registering a real business.
- Setup email accounts for your new business. I started of with a personal email, a support email and a resources email.
- If you have to work in the evenings, tell people you are working at your company, make it sound formal, DO NOT DOWN PLAY YOUR OWN COMPANY.
- Once you have established your company's presents, establish a budget for your company. Doing this will not only help regulate you expenses but it will add substance to you companies presence.
- Choose you poison and stick to it. I made use of my R&D division, nothing more than a folder, to emphasise my business model development phase. This is important, not knowing what you are doing on the internet is costly, you need an action plan and you need to see it through.
The only way you learn, as with any business, is to fail, get up and do it again. So, get online and see how epically you can fail, go all out and be the biggest failure (ideas not delivering results) out there, for you will learn more than the guys reading all the guides and playing it safe.
To your success,
Jannes vd Merwe