by monere
51 replies
I started 2 threads few days ago and they both got deleted (not to mention another thread that got deleted out of the blue sky a week ago when I was in the middle of the conversation).

WTF is going on here? Can't you people just tell me what freakin rule I break (if I really broke any) instead of just removing my threads with no warning and no explanations??

Seriously, we're grown up people now. Let's stop with these cheap maneuvers.

I do something wrong or break any rule (although I do my best not to) just freakin tell me, don't just happily remove threads. GOD!
#heck #weird
  • Profile picture of the author darkblue
    Well, it might be due to your french. who knows.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5631627].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author monere
      Originally Posted by darkblue View Post

      Well, it might be due to your french. who knows.
      I am not French (if you really meant that). If you didn't, what am I missing?
      Signature

      Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5631651].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bhl2506
        Originally Posted by monere View Post

        I am not French (if you really meant that). If you didn't, what am I missing?
        He means your vocabulary. Around here they tend to frown on cursing and over use of letters describing curse words. Best thing to do is email or pm the moderators and ask them what is going on. And don't forget no cursing or you just might get the boot (banned).

        p.s. Be happy man life is to short to mad at a computer screen!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5631941].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author monere
          Originally Posted by bhl2506 View Post

          He means your vocabulary. Around here they tend to frown on cursing and over use of letters describing curse words. Best thing to do is email or pm the moderators and ask them what is going on. And don't forget no cursing or you just might get the boot (banned).

          p.s. Be happy man life is to short to mad at a computer screen!
          My vocabulary is more than OK. I've never cursed/flamed/hated/whatever anybody on this forum and I don't intend to. But I surely don't like it when 3 of the last 4 threads I start (on various IM topics and posted in their - hopefully - right categories) get removed without any reason or explanation.

          Supposing I broke one of the rules for my threads to be removed, how on Earth can I not break them again if I don't even know what rule I broke

          As for the emailing, I contacted support when the first removal of my threads happened asking for an explanation and they just said they don't know why this happened and that they can't restore the thread.

          I just let it go and said "oh well, stuff like this happens" (I really let it go although I was dying to read the few replies I had to the thread that got removed)

          But now, 2 more threads have miraculously vanished although they didn't even have any replies to them yet. Now, how would you all feel about it.

          Sure, I could just recreate them and I'd do that but they would probably be removed again just as quick.

          p.s. Be happy man life is to short to mad at a computer screen!
          I am trying to be happy, but others won't let me. And no, I am not mad at computer screens because they're not sensitive to human's needs and problems. I am trying to understand things around here.

          Thanks for taking the time to reply though. It didn't help me much but at least you were kind enough to help
          Signature

          Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632152].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JimMichael
            Originally Posted by monere View Post

            I am trying to be happy, but others won't let me.
            Reminds me of the story of when the NYPD finally caught "Two Gun" Crowley in 1931, after being on the run for a week and killing a bunch of Police Officers.

            He sent the Police a note upon his surrender saying that his "weary heart would do no harm".

            It's always the case - that "other people" are creating our problems.

            Al Capone said upon his entry to the electric chair that "This is what I get for trying to defend myself?".

            Looking at your posts, the word "I" keeps appearing, so perhaps you should start with YOU?

            People are not against you, I promise. There is no benefit to anyone if they decide to make life tough for you.

            Your perception is that they are putting the road blocks in your way - see - it's all inside You.

            Start with yourself and then worry about others.

            .....perhaps some more of your posts will stay live :p
            Signature

            .

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632195].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
            bhl2506,
            Best thing to do is email or pm the moderators and ask them what is going on.
            REALLY bad advice.

            Troy,
            You should get to the bottom of this. Contact Paul Myers .. be sure to call him Mr. Myers and Put in the subject line wtf
            Wow. You guys really don't like this dude, do you?

            monere,
            Supposing I broke one of the rules for my threads to be removed, how on Earth can I not break them again if I don't even know what rule I broke
            Maybe you could try... oh... reading the rules?

            Those stickies at the top of main discussion will explain a lot.


            Paul
            Signature
            .
            Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632205].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author monere
              Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

              bhl2506,REALLY bad advice.

              Troy,Wow. You guys really don't like this dude, do you?

              monere,Maybe you could try... oh... reading the rules?

              Those stickies at the top of main discussion will explain a lot.


              Paul
              I know about the stick posts in every sub-forum and I've read them. But keeping those stickies in mind and then looking at my threads I can't find anything that could go against the rules. I really can't find anything wrong with my threads. That's why I am so mad
              Signature

              Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632250].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
                Originally Posted by monere View Post

                I know about the stick posts in every sub-forum and I've read them. But keeping those stickies in mind and then looking at my threads I can't find anything that could go against the rules. I really can't find anything wrong with my threads. That's why I am so mad
                Do you understand them when you read them?

                Please for your longevity here's sake, re-read this one.


                5. If your thread is deleted, do not re-post it. Do not post a thread asking why it was deleted. Read the rules, watch how things are done here, and figure it out. This is not complicated stuff.
                Terra
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632292].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author capitalalchemy
                  I pay to use this forum, and in every thread I've ever posted that got deleted I never used bad language but was trying to help people -- why they were deleted is still a mystery to me, and were original -- but I suppose I won't question it :rolleyes:
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632311].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author monere
                    Originally Posted by capitalalchemy View Post

                    I pay to use this forum, and in every thread I've ever posted that got deleted I never used bad language but was trying to help people -- why they were deleted is still a mystery to me, and were original -- but I suppose I won't question it :rolleyes:
                    See? That's what I meant.

                    Oh well, never mind. I've given up asking for reasons seeing I am not a singular case.

                    Thanks for confirming this
                    Signature

                    Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632435].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
                      But anyway, I'll let it go this time
                      Gee... How awfully kind of you...

                      I didn't see the threads in question, but I can guarantee they weren't just deleted for no reason at all. And I can pretty much guarantee that if I ever see a post from you again like the first one in this thread, you'll be enjoying a bit more free time for a while.

                      As an example for everyone else, though: This nonsense debate is exactly what would happen - multiple times every day - if we got into explaining every deleted post.


                      Paul
                      Signature
                      .
                      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632466].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
                    Banned
                    Originally Posted by capitalalchemy View Post

                    I pay to use this forum, and in every thread I've ever posted that got deleted I never used bad language but was trying to help people -- why they were deleted is still a mystery to me, and were original -- but I suppose I won't question it :rolleyes:
                    You do NOT pay to use this forum. Perhaps you bought access to the War Room (I didn't look), but that doesn't give you any special privileges and it doesn't protect you from getting threads deleted when they don't belong.

                    Also doesn't mean you'll get an explanation. There's hardly a person here who posts with any regularity that doesn't get posts deleted occasionally. Most just don't consider a life altering event and figure out the WHY themselves and refrain from doing it again.

                    Not all rules are written. They'd be a mile long if they had to cover every scenario that could result in a deleted thread.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634556].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author monere
                  Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

                  Do you understand them when you read them?

                  Please for your longevity here's sake, re-read this one.




                  Terra
                  I never reposted the threads that got deleted, although I was inclined to do so, but didn't do it.

                  I think I just went against this rule however, by creating this thread

                  "Do not post a thread asking why it was deleted"
                  Signature

                  Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632480].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author SuzanneH
                Originally Posted by monere View Post

                I know about the stick posts in every sub-forum and I've read them. But keeping those stickies in mind and then looking at my threads I can't find anything that could go against the rules. I really can't find anything wrong with my threads. That's why I am so mad
                And then...

                Originally Posted by monere View Post

                I never reposted the threads that got deleted, although I was inclined to do so, but didn't do it.

                I think I just went against this rule however, by creating this thread

                "Do not post a thread asking why it was deleted"
                I'm only pointing this out to show you that you could be missing something when you say you can see no reason for your other posts being deleted. You read the stickies but completely missed the "don't post asking why your thread was deleted." Which means you probably missed something else, too. Well, not "probably." Obviously, you did miss something -- otherwise, your posts wouldn't have been deleted.

                Suzanne
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimMichael
    Originally Posted by monere View Post

    I started 2 threads few days ago and they both got deleted (not to mention another thread that got deleted out of the blue sky a week ago when I was in the middle of the conversation).

    WTF is going on here? Can't you people just tell me what freakin rule I break (if I really broke any) instead of just removing my threads with no warning and no explanations??

    Seriously, we're grown up people now. Let's stop with these cheap maneuvers.

    I do something wrong or break any rule (although I do my best not to) just freakin tell me, don't just happily remove threads. GOD!
    You have not paid this site a dime of your own money (I.E - joined the War Room).

    What do they owe you?

    You're like someone who doesn't vote, yet complains about the Government.
    Signature

    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5631956].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rick W
      This is an excerpt from "New Members Read This" which is a sticky post on this forum.


      5. If your thread is deleted, do not re-post it. Do not post a thread asking why it was deleted. Read the rules, watch how things are done here, and figure it out. This is not complicated stuff.

      6. Remember that threads get deleted for lots of reasons, most of them having no reflection on the original poster. They can be nuked because they're the umpteenth copy of the same discussion in a short period, because they're on topics which too often degenerate into flame wars, because they have nothing to do with making money, because they're pointless, because they tend to drift into bashing, and lots of other reasons.


      Hope this helps
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5631980].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author monere
      Originally Posted by JimMichael View Post

      You have not paid this site a dime of your own money (I.E - joined the War Room).

      What do they owe you?

      You're like someone who doesn't vote, yet complains about the Government.
      I didn't paid a dime because I didn't feel the urge to join the War Room yet (whatever that room may be all about) but this doesn't mean I'm trash.

      But I've bought plenty of WSOs and other services and I intend to buy some more if I find good value in what is being offered in here (and good things are offered daily). I might even join the Warrior Room, if that's the issue with my threads getting removed so easily.

      QUOTE]What do they owe you?[/QUOTE]

      They owe me what they owe everybody who made WF the 150th most visited website in the world: a little respect.
      Signature

      Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632219].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JimMichael
        Originally Posted by monere View Post

        They owe me what they owe everybody who made WF the 150th most visited website in the world: a little respect.
        Nope, they owe you squat - like everyone else in life.

        Plenty of forums like this one are strictly members only, so you're lucky they let you post here for free.

        Nobody owes you anything buddy. You make your own paving stones in life - many of us here have learned that.

        If you can't handle the way this place works, you're not cut out to be here. This isn't a place for entitlement.

        Just to add - you're not showing them an ounce of respect with your original post above. Considering they pay for you to be here, a post like that will never earn you any respect.

        You have to give some to get some. Try it, I can guarantee you it works.
        Signature

        .

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632338].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author monere
          Originally Posted by JimMichael View Post

          Nope, they owe you squat - like everyone else in life.

          Plenty of forums like this one are strictly members only, so you're lucky they let you post here for free.

          Nobody owes you anything buddy. You make your own paving stones in life - many of us here have learned that.

          If you can't handle the way this place works, you're not cut out to be here. This isn't a place for entitlement.

          Just to add - you're not showing them an ounce of respect with your original post above. Considering they pay for you to be here, a post like that will never earn you any respect.

          You have to give some to get some. Try it, I can guarantee you it works.
          Ok man, I got the idea. Everyone has their own right but I won't insist on this again.

          I'll just let those threads go and will not care about them anymore.
          Signature

          Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632451].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dukestravels1972
      Originally Posted by JimMichael View Post

      You have not paid this site a dime of your own money (I.E - joined the War Room).

      What do they owe you?

      You're like someone who doesn't vote, yet complains about the Government.
      Terrible analogy. Voting is free, joining the war room is not. As far as I'm aware, joining the war room gives you the same rights as a free member.

      Also, I seriously doubt that the site would be PR5 without the active free members.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5636305].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Lenaghan
        Originally Posted by dukestravels1972 View Post

        As far as I'm aware, joining the war room gives you the same rights as a free member.
        Joining the War Room isn't about additional "rights" - you're paying for access to a private forum and some additional features that free members don't get.

        And when it comes right down to it, the only right that any of us have in respect to the Warrior Forum is the right to stop visiting the site. It's a privately owned forum and as much as we like to think it's "our" place, it's not.

        We play by the rules set out by Allen and the rest of the mods. Yes, it's a mutually beneficial relationship, but we have to live by the "house" rules.

        As for the voting issue, people who don't vote are the ones who should complain about the government. If you vote, you get what you voted for. If you don't, you're stuck with someone else's choice

        (Paraphrased from George Carlin - it's a joke, I'm not out to derail the thread!)

        John
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5636505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    You should get to the bottom of this. Contact Paul Myers .. be sure to call him Mr. Myers and Put in the subject line wtf
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632000].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JimMichael
      Totally agree with the above.

      Also, be sure to not use capital letters in the subject line - just so they know you're serious and mean business.

      It may also help to continue using the words 'I' and 'My' so many times, to confirm that you are not someone constantly thinking about yourself, your own gains and your own benefit.

      In short, I believe you have a well rounded case for....

      ....the garbage can.
      Signature

      .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632032].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

      You should get to the bottom of this. Contact Paul Myers .. be sure to call him Mr. Myers and Put in the subject line wtf
      Now that's the most evil advice I've seen given on the WF :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634536].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author monere
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        Now that's the most evil advice I've seen given on the WF :p
        Indeed, too harsh to someone who simply thought that everybody is against him.

        But anyway, seeing that other peoples' posts get also deleted without any apparent reason I kind of started to see how things work around here.

        And like I said in a previous reply, I don't want to risk getting banned here (too cool of a forum). So I'll just let it go
        Signature

        Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634811].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author richrowley
      Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

      You should get to the bottom of this. Contact Paul Myers .. be sure to call him Mr. Myers and Put in the subject line wtf
      Thats funny!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634915].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
      Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

      You should get to the bottom of this. Contact Paul Myers .. be sure to call him Mr. Myers and Put in the subject line wtf
      That's funny......

      Sorry man (to the OP) not poking fun at you for sure, just making a comment to the reply in this post that was funny....

      Honestly though, I have had unfortunately many posts deleted, without knowing why, and to this day don't really know why.

      But I can assure you that there had to be a good reason, because the mods have enough work alone just to delete and move threads that should be deleted or moved. It makes no sense that they would just arbitrarily delete a thread for kicks.......... (unless they have been drinking and are looking to have some fun ) I doubt that happens though, not the drinking, just the deleting for fun.....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635342].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author monere
        Originally Posted by Steve Wells View Post

        That's funny......

        Sorry man (to the OP) not poking fun at you for sure, just making a comment to the reply in this post that was funny....

        Honestly though, I have had unfortunately many posts deleted, without knowing why, and to this day don't really know why.

        But I can assure you that there had to be a good reason, because the mods have enough work alone just to delete and move threads that should be deleted or moved. It makes no sense that they would just arbitrarily delete a thread for kicks.......... (unless they have been drinking and are looking to have some fun ) I doubt that happens though, not the drinking, just the deleting for fun.....
        Thanks for not bashing at me for the bad language. I've learned my lesson though and it's ok now
        Signature

        Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5636549].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          Getting a post or thread deleted, doesn't mean you are bad person. It just means you made a mistake in their view.
          As Michael said, it's not always even a mistake. Some things get deleted that would be fine by themselves, but that lead to things that would be destructive.

          Articles almost always get deleted, for example. They might have (and often do have) great info in them. The problem that arises if we let people post them is the line between "This is really useful info" and "This is an ad."

          People run with stuff like that here faster than in any other forum I've ever seen. It's amazing how quickly some ideas can go from Zero to nasty. And some have so much potential for problems they have to be stopped NOW. That requires an interrupt, and is usually when you'll see one of us say something harsh.

          [To monere] It's entirely possible that your posts were fine, but were the sorts of things that aren't allowed because of where they'd tend to lead others.

          It's more likely they were in the wrong section. That's the single biggest reason for deleting stuff that isn't outright spam or nastiness. Another big one is asking the same question that's been asked a million (feels like) times, and at least once very recently. And yet another is asking about specific products in main discussion. If it's a single product question, or a comparison between just two products, it belongs in reviews, not here.

          Lots of stuff that's not "bad" gets deleted. Without those limits, though, the place would be useless in no time.


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5636723].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
            Instead of dwelling into all this non-sense debate it would have been better if THE MOD here have told this guy what mistakes he made. We do read the rules and try to follow them but we are not programmed devices for God sake. Mistakes can be made. I do not understand why THE MODS act so *above them all* ..
            I let threads like this run once in a while so folks can see the debates we'd get into if we explained every deletion. Same arguments, over and over.

            Of course people make mistakes. That's why we have a delete option, rather than banning everyone who posts something that needs removed. And the mods make mistakes, too. No-one here has ever claimed that moderators are somehow immune to screwing up. We just do the best we know how to do.

            As far as the "above them all" comment, you can use that to fertilize your roses.

            Without the members there'd be no point to the place. Without the mods (who, by the way, happen to be members, not employees), the place would be rendered useless by spammers and idiots within a week or two.

            It doesn't work without both, and some balance.


            Paul
            Signature
            .
            Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5636922].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author monere
            Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

            As Michael said, it's not always even a mistake. Some things get deleted that would be fine by themselves, but that lead to things that would be destructive.

            Articles almost always get deleted, for example. They might have (and often do have) great info in them. The problem that arises if we let people post them is the line between "This is really useful info" and "This is an ad."

            People run with stuff like that here faster than in any other forum I've ever seen. It's amazing how quickly some ideas can go from Zero to nasty. And some have so much potential for problems they have to be stopped NOW. That requires an interrupt, and is usually when you'll see one of us say something harsh.

            [To monere] It's entirely possible that your posts were fine, but were the sorts of things that aren't allowed because of where they'd tend to lead others.

            It's more likely they were in the wrong section. That's the single biggest reason for deleting stuff that isn't outright spam or nastiness. Another big one is asking the same question that's been asked a million (feels like) times, and at least once very recently. And yet another is asking about specific products in main discussion. If it's a single product question, or a comparison between just two products, it belongs in reviews, not here.

            Lots of stuff that's not "bad" gets deleted. Without those limits, though, the place would be useless in no time.


            Paul
            It finally starts to add up for me too

            Sorry for expressing myself so explicitly. I'll remember all these things for future posts.

            Thanks
            Signature

            Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5636970].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
              Monere,
              It finally starts to add up for me too

              Sorry for expressing myself so explicitly. I'll remember all these things for future posts.
              No problem here. Everyone gets mad sometimes. You didn't STAY mad. You thought about it and adjusted. That's not something for which anyone will think poorly of you.

              There's sort of an open secret to why I let some threads run that should probably be deleted. The opportunity for the other members to learn from them is part of it, but the other part isn't so obvious.

              I sometimes want to find out who's on the other end. I hand them enough rope and let them decide: Will they use it to make a noose or a ladder?

              Then, I just go with whatever they choose.


              Paul
              Signature
              .
              Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5637150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul_1
    There's a join fee before you can start threads...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632025].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JimMichael
      Originally Posted by paul_1 View Post

      There's a join fee before you can start threads...
      Are you sure? I didn't pay a penny when I joined this place - just paid the War Room upgrade to become a real member, like yourself.
      Signature

      .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    They owe me what they owe everybody who made WF the 150th most visited website in the world: a little respect.
    Ah. And you define respect as "Wasting their time explaining and getting into debates over every deleted post because people can't be bothered to read the clearly posted rules?"

    Sorry. That's the Entitlement Dictionary. We don't use that one here.


    Paul
    Signature
    .
    Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632253].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author monere
      Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

      Ah. And you define respect as "Wasting their time explaining and getting into debates over every deleted post because people can't be bothered to read the clearly posted rules?"

      Sorry. That's the Entitlement Dictionary. We don't use that one here.


      Paul
      I define respect (when referring to this forum) by just sending me a link to a rule or even a short phrase mentioning what I did wrong (if anything) so that I know and won't repeat the mistake again. If you could restore the thread you would see how innocent they are. Just the typical newbie questions in the IM field, nothing more

      I didn't post any link in my threads to self-promote me, didn't curse/flame anybody, so I see no reason for my threads to be removed.

      But anyway, I'll let it go this time because I don't want to start looking weird or God knows how else, in this forum.

      Sorry if I caused any issues with this problem of mine.
      Signature

      Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632420].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sornie Samante
    I have a few post being deleted too but I was advised to review the forum rules. Sometimes, there are some issues moderators can't even explain themselves why they have to delete a post I guess.. or maybe someone is reporting the thread..claiming it's some sort of something they don't like..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5632337].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
    Being a mod or admin may well be the most thankless job on the web. I know, I've been modding for years. As Paul said, you can't expect them to explain and we have no right to demand that they justify their actions.

    On a couple of occassions I've had posts/threads deleted and I personally found the reasons to be pretty subjective. However, that's simply part of modding. On at least one occasion I did PM Paul about it and he kindly took the time to reply and educate me. He did so diplomatically and patiently. I personally appreciate him taking time he doesn't really have to do that.

    Mods are volunteers who give up a great deal of their time to build and nurture communities -- they get very little from this job as a reward. While I sometimes may completely disagree with a call they make and may even at times submit to being silly and assuming one or two may have it in for me, I always try to show them the respect they've almost certainnly earned by being selected to moderate a community.

    Sometimes mods may editorialize in their comments (speaking from one experience I had here) and that can ruffle your feathers, but they're human and we shouldn't expect them to be unerring machines while expecting them to allow for our own inconsistencies as humans.

    The whole reason the modding system works is because they are part of the commmunity and not apart from it.

    I understand the frustation of "not understanding what you did wrong" but a thread such as this is only going to create conflict and bad feelings. Gettting a post or thread deleted, doesn't mean you are bad person. It just means you made a mistake in their view.

    Regards,
    jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634814].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author monere
    Got it (a bit late, but got it)
    Signature

    Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634833].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
      Originally Posted by monere View Post

      Got it (a bit late, but got it)
      You're two steps ahead of many by admitting that sir.

      FYI don't post a thread asking why socks keep disapearing from your dryer either. Mods hate that

      Regards,
      jim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634872].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author monere
        Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

        You're two steps ahead of many by admitting that sir.

        FYI don't post a thread asking why socks keep disapearing from your dryer either. Mods hate that

        Regards,
        jim
        I never thought of that ... yet. Just kidding
        Signature

        Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634907].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WilsonJ
        Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

        You're two steps ahead of many by admitting that sir.

        FYI don't post a thread asking why socks keep disapearing from your dryer either. Mods hate that

        Regards,
        jim
        Instead of dwelling into all this non-sense debate it would have been better if THE MOD here have told this guy what mistakes he made. We do read the rules and try to follow them but we are not programmed devices for God sake. Mistakes can be made. I do not understand why THE MODS act so *above them all* ..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635045].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
          Originally Posted by WilsonJ View Post

          Instead of dwelling into all this non-sense debate it would have been better if THE MOD here have told this guy what mistakes he made. We do read the rules and try to follow them but we are not programmed devices for God sake. Mistakes can be made. I do not understand why THE MODS act so *above them all* ..
          Hi Wilson,

          I think I addressed that in my first response. The mods are not machines either. Asking them to explain every action simply is not practical. As community members the responsibility is with us to read the rules and understand them as best we can.

          My "nonsensical" comment was an attempt to reduce a little tension - I'm here all week folks! Try the fish!

          The fact is (like it or not) that mods are elite among online communities. I don't mean to say they are better than any other community member (becase they are not), but they have been tasked with the responsibility of managing a community because the admins believe they posses the right abilities to do so and have earned that responsibility. Trust me, it's not a pleasant job a lot of the time.

          Most mods do not feel above their commmunities, but they do feel apart from them because they have to try to be impartial -- I've found this requirement to be a sacrifice for me personally in the past. I respect them for that alone, if nothing else.

          I can't think of a single online community where "WTF happened to my post" threads are not deemed as innapropriate. The mods didn't make that decision here in a vacuum -- it comes from years of experience here and on other forums for the reasons Paul has already laid out.

          I've had my moments with mods here and elsewhere, but at the end of the day, I think it's fair to say most of us don't show them the appreciation they deserve for giving up as much of their tiime as they do to build and nurture the commmunities we frequent.

          Regards,
          jim
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635247].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author monere
            Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

            Hi Wilson,

            I think I addressed that in my first response. The mods are not machines either. Asking them to explain every action simply is not practical. As community members the responsibility is with us to read the rules and understand them as best we can.

            My "nonsensical" comment was an attempt to reduce a little tension - I'm here all week folks! Try the fish!

            The fact is (like it or not) that mods are elite among online communities. I don't mean to say they are better than any other community member (becase they are not), but they have been tasked with the responsibility of managing a community because the admins believe they posses the right abilities to do so and have earned that responsibility. Trust me, it's not a pleasant job a lot of the time.

            Most mods do not feel above their commmunities, but they do feel apart from them because they have to try to be impartial -- I've found this requirement to be a sacrifice for me personally in the past. I respect them for that alone, if nothing else.

            I can't think of a single online community where "WTF happened to my post" threads are not deemed as innapropriate. The mods didn't make that decision here in a vacuum -- it comes from years of experience here and on other forums for the reasons Paul has already laid out.

            I've had my moments with mods here and elsewhere, but at the end of the day, I think it's fair to say most of us don't show them the appreciation they deserve for giving up as much of their tiime as they do to build and nurture the commmunities we frequent.

            Regards,
            jim
            I now know and I'll keep this (good, but overlooked by me) point in mind for future
            Signature

            Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635303].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
          Originally Posted by WilsonJ View Post

          Instead of dwelling into all this non-sense debate it would have been better if THE MOD here have told this guy what mistakes he made. We do read the rules and try to follow them but we are not programmed devices for God sake. Mistakes can be made. I do not understand why THE MODS act so *above them all* ..
          1. It's entirely possible that NO "mistakes" were made. There are tons of reasons why posts get deleted, and a few of those reasons have nothing to do with doing something wrong.

          2. It's up to the members to understand what's acceptable, and what isn't. As the rules state "this stuff isn't complicated", IF people pay attention.

          3. There are some great reasons for not giving an explanation for every deleted post.
          a. It leads to endless arguments.
          b. The Mods are volunteers who have a life outside of this forum.
          c. The more specific the rules are, the more loopholes people search for.
          4. In a way, the Mods (note the use of capitalization) are "above us all", but only because they have the ability to zap threads and ban members. We are all mods, and can report posts, so your premise doesn't hold up.

          All the best,
          Michael
          Signature

          "Ich bin en fuego!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Hi monere,

    It can be very difficult feeling that everyone is against you. You were upset in your first post, and you let it show. I've done that more than once myself (for different reasons).

    Just so you know, some of the responses you got went too far in my opinion. I'm happy to see you finally came around. All you were looking for was an explanation, and once you got it you felt better.

    Some of the comments in this thread were uncalled for, but that's just my opinion.

    Anyway...you are right about the WF being a cool place, and it looks like you are back on the right track again.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5634955].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Originally Posted by monere View Post

      I might even join the Warrior Room, if that's the issue with my threads getting removed so easily.
      Being a War Room member does not give you the right to do things any regular member can not do etiquette wise.

      I can still get banned, and I could still wake up and find all my posts removed for no reason what so ever.

      War room gives you added access to a restricted area, allows you to post ads in the WSO, gives you some blogging privs, and gives some breathing room in the pm box.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635071].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author monere
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      Hi monere,

      It can be very difficult feeling that everyone is against you. You were upset in your first post, and you let it show. I've done that more than once myself (for different reasons).

      Just so you know, some of the responses you got went too far in my opinion. I'm happy to see you finally came around. All you were looking for was an explanation, and once you got it you felt better.

      Some of the comments in this thread were uncalled for, but that's just my opinion.

      Anyway...you are right about the WF being a cool place, and it looks like you are back on the right track again.

      All the best,
      Michael
      Ye, I guess I managed to understand that the knowledge I get for free from the WF is more important than the rare, few questions I get no answers to occasionally.

      Thanks
      Signature

      Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635263].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by monere View Post

        Ye, I guess I managed to understand that the knowledge I get for free from the WF is more important than the rare, few questions I get no answers to occasionally.

        Thanks
        It happens to all of us. I have had questions go unanswered. I have had posts deleted. I have had posts moved to different sections of the forum. I have disagreed with some of the Mods.

        Here's what I try to remember:

        1. Nobody here owes me anything. Not an answer. Not an explanation. Nothing.

        2. When posts go unanswered or get deleted, it's nothing personal. It just happens.

        3. There are times when it's best to just let other people continue commenting in a thread I have started, because anything I add will only be taken the wrong way--no matter how well-intentioned it is.

        All the best,
        Michael
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webmazter
    How dare they pick on french speaking adults here!!!
    I'm getting to the bottom of this.............just some humor guys trying to brake the tention up in here...........
    Signature
    If you build it they will come! The LSI Specialist
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5635895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelSJohn
    In case you forgot, we are guests here, we don't own the site. You don't like it move along.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5636517].message }}

Trending Topics