Flippa Offer.. Your Thoughts?

32 replies
Hello warriors.

Im selling a site on flippa and this buyer has just said he will buy the sites at the buy it now price for $2500. But he said he wants to pay me over 12 months. So i get something like 6% every month.

He said he owns a quick service restaurant and hes not going to go anywhere. His restaurant is legit, ive looked at it.

He has bought sites before and hes got a 100% positive feedback rating.

What would you do?
#advice #flippa #offer #question #thoughts
  • Profile picture of the author imfusa
    That is kind of inconvenient, i would not go for this. I would suggest you to wait until you find a buyer that can afford to buy it cash.
    BTW how many itraders does he have and see from where he logged in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643506].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author arranrice
      Originally Posted by imfusa View Post

      That is kind of inconvenient, i would not go for this. I would suggest you to wait until you find a buyer that can afford to buy it cash.
      BTW how many itraders does he have and see from where he logged in.
      3 positive feedbacks over 3 transactions worth $1600.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author retsek
    PASS. Don't do it. It's only 2500.
    At that rate, you might as well keep the site for the 12 months and make the same money. Are the sites making money btw?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643561].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hmartin90
    Yeah, I agree. It is better to be cautious, especially when your talking about a bit of money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author almiller
    HELL NO!!!!

    I would run from this type of offer. The buyer will find in a month or two the site is not performing as per his thoughts, and will have buyers remorse. There is no way i would do this ever, the deck is stacked against you big time.

    Alberto
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mybizdeal
    Looks bad idea, if go with it! My opinion, I ask him to lower months into 2 or 3! or I'll wait until i find a buyer who can pay in full!

    But finally it is up to you and your needs!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
    Banned
    No, I would not do it. Just my opinion. If he wants it bad enough, he can pay you up front.
    Signature
    Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author almiller
    Your hoping nothing happens to his online ventures for a year too. If he quits, or changes business path, your the one who loses. Just seems like a long time to hope another persons plans pan out.

    Alberto
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643649].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eko Ventures
    Personally, I would say no. Though it ultimately comes down to what you were looking for when you set out to sell the site in the first place. If you wanted a quick cash injection, then obviously this sounds like a very inconvenient deal.

    If however an extra $200 a month works for you, and you're confident the buyer will be able to pay consistently over the next year - then by all means go for it!

    That said I would be a bit sceptical of a restaurant owner who can't come up with $2500... Either he doesn't really want what he's buying or isn't running a particularly successful business. Which begs the question - what happens 6 months down the road? Will he even still be in business? Can you be 100% that he will follow through with payment?

    My 2 cents!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMChick
    Nope on this one. it's all cash up front, no terms for anyone. Great reasons above.

    I will add that you should keep the site monetized if it does not sell to another person during the time you have it listed, and if he is interested in a year, he will contact you. Of course, he takes the risk that the site is earning much more than your original sales price, or that it is not available. Key here is HIS risk, not yours.

    Another idea, when he gets some cash available, do a site for him alone and charge accordingly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LMC
    It's your asset. Not his. Start negotiating, 12 months is too much, but if you can bring that down to 3 or 6 months then maybe it is something more reasonable to go for.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643672].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    This is asking for credit. Do you issue credit cards? Is that
    your business? If he cannot afford the $2,500 then put
    it on a credit card and pay back the company. Why should
    you wait for payment?

    Bad idea.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davejug1
    If you are generating income from it, I would think about giving him an extra 6% of the monthly profit (not revenue). That way you still benefit from it. If the classic example of 10 X monthly income has been followed and you're there or there abouts, I would think about offering this model.
    Signature
    FREE List Building help. Click here!

    Yes I do have freebies!

    Expertise comes not through knowledge or skills, but through practice
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
    No way, if he runs a successful restaurant then he should be able to afford to pay you right now. Sounds fishy to me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5644362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PSM
    Yes it does sound a bit fishy, I've sold a good few websites on flippa over the past few weeks and not one of the buyers offered to pay in installments. The problem is if you give him control of the domain he can then stop paying you and without taking legal action against him there is nothing you can do. If it was me I wouldn't even entertain that offer, as people have said he can too easily change his mind in a few months or weeks and stop paying, it isn't worth the risk.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5644385].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas Smale
    Tell him where to shove it... in the nicest possible way of course. Nothing wrong with financing, but I never offer it on sites below $50k. For future reference, on larger sites, if you did want to offer it, you should ask at least 50% upfront, but make sure you have a good lawyer to prep the contract.

    Just curious, why would you need to ask us for advice when you make $3500 a month on autopilot flipping sites? This is fundamental stuff.
    Signature
    I specialize in selling websites over $10,000 in value. No obligation, confidential valuation here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5644404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Originally Posted by arranrice View Post

    Hello warriors.

    Im selling a site on flippa and this buyer has just said he will buy the sites at the buy it now price for $2500. But he said he wants to pay me over 12 months. So i get something like 6% every month.

    He said he owns a quick service restaurant and hes not going to go anywhere. His restaurant is legit, ive looked at it.

    He has bought sites before and hes got a 100% positive feedback rating.

    What would you do?
    You'd be insane to agree to that. Tell him no deal. Suppose you transfer everything over to him and then he doesn't pay? Good luck getting anything back. If he can't afford to buy them, someone else will ... or he could be a plain out scammer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5644483].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eko Ventures
    Seems to me like you have your answer arranrice - a resounding NO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5644710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goanswers
    I agree.............NO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5644728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mdagenais
    Here's another way to look at it if you'd want to go for it:

    I think 12 months is too long for this kind of investment. If you don't have any other buyer, I'd try 6 months but I'd do it on a rent-to-own basis.

    Basically, you don't give up full control of the site until he has fully paid.

    1) You transfer domain name ownership only when he has paid. So he stops paying, you still have domain name ownership.

    2) Charge him a small ''payment plan'' fee. Something like 20$ per month. Some form of interest rate for financing. Reasonable but compensation to be willing to compromise a payment plan.

    You may want to consider...

    - You keep hosting until it is fully paid (hosting is cheap...)

    - Wait for 2 months of payment before you give access to server and allow him to actually use the site.


    These are just thoughts and stuff I would consider.

    Marc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5645662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard6666
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5646457].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author salegurus
      Originally Posted by Richard6666 View Post

      That is kind of inconvenient, i would not go for this. I would suggest you to wait until you find a buyer that can afford to buy it cash.
      This MORON^^^
      You have been busted, copy and pasting
      other peoples posts.
      Report Spammers ^^^
      Signature
      Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

      ― George Carlin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5646857].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tim3
        Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

        This MORON^^^
        You have been busted, copy and pasting
        other peoples posts.
        Report Spammers ^^^

        Fortunately the above offender has been banned
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5647031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rarnold
    Walk away from this, nothing good can come of it.

    He changes his mind, income isn't what he thinks it should be, he doesn't pay, whatever, how are you going to get your site back.
    Signature

    Repair Your Credit
    Learn the Secrets of the Pro's.
    http://repairmycreditsite.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5646555].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Austin357
    The responses are unanimous!

    Why would you let him put 1/12 down and make payments when he is able to profit from the website immediately? Secondly, he is asking you for a line of credit which in today's economy has some tight rules so no freebies for him especially at only 6%. Lastly, you don't want to worry about him paying you every month and act like a debt collector.

    Move on and accept a cash/credit card offer even if its less than the BIN price. Too risky of a deal for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5646571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim3
    Originally Posted by arranrice View Post

    Hello warriors.

    Im selling a site on flippa and this buyer has just said he will buy the sites at the buy it now price for $2500. But he said he wants to pay me over 12 months. So i get something like 6% every month.

    He said he owns a quick service restaurant and hes not going to go anywhere. His restaurant is legit, ive looked at it.

    He has bought sites before and hes got a 100% positive feedback rating.

    What would you do?

    Don't even consider it!

    If he wants it that bad he will find the money and the pay cash up front.

    If there is any doubt on Flippa, don't give anyone the benefit of it!

    Then again if he doesn't have any money why is looking to but a site on Flippa.


    If your site makes money you will have no trouble finding other buyers.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5646643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kosmo101
    No way...unless like half upfront and agreement that if he misses 2 payments deal is null and you get cash and sites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5647025].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author K1
    I would advise against it, unless you keep the domain until the final payment's made.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5648065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Green Diamond
    People can make what ever they need to make for an scam.

    Keep the domain itself until the final payment done (K1 just said you a great suggestion)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5648271].message }}

Trending Topics