winning a paypal dispute against a scammer ?

by shaunD
13 replies
Few days ago I bought Adcenter account from guy. The account he sold me was not working and he refused to refund my money. later yesterday I filed a paypal dispute and seller "Escalated to a Claim" ..

He is a scammer and he already banned from 2 forums for scamming people..

Can I win this PP dispute ??? any help would be greatly appreciated ..
#dispute #paypal #scammer #winning
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    Ummm... Isn't buying an AdCenter account against their ToS? In which case, you got scammed in the process of what could arguably be called a scam of your own?

    Ah, the scent of fresh irony wafting across the wires. A lovely wake-up call. I suddenly have an urge for steak and eggs...


    Paul
    Signature
    .
    Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5647802].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author K1
    Pay Pal usually sides with the buyer and chances are you will get a refund.

    However like Paul Myers mentioned this could be against the TOS of adcenter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5647983].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
      Originally Posted by K1 View Post

      Pay Pal usually sides with the buyer
      Not so in my experience. As it happens, I have never lost a case either as a buyer or seller. I believe they do try to objectively assess each case individually.

      Will
      Signature
      Money-Making Rebrandable Books - Free for a Limited Period!

      Click Here to Get Yours
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5648060].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jackpot9
      Originally Posted by K1 View Post

      Pay Pal usually sides with the buyer and chances are you will get a refund.

      However like Paul Myers mentioned this could be against the TOS of adcenter.
      I recently sent a 'company' $300 down payment through paypal in exchange for some web development services. They did not do the work and I raised a dispute, explaining the story. Paypal says buyers of services are not protected and let the 'company' win (i.e. refused to give me back my money).

      I 'appealed' against the dispute offering to provide any proof they needed to see that work wasn't done (i.e. ftp access, skype conversations, email exchanges etc) whereas the 'company' merely said 'we provided services to him and he is filing a dispute'. Went to a claim specialist on 'pending' status for couple of weeks and then Paypal said "Sorry we are unable to blah blah blah in your favour at this time".

      Moral of story: When you send money to someone through paypal for services, make sure the person is trustable (no way of telling). If not, you have no way of getting it back, even if the seller is an obvious snake-oil salesman.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5648160].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author geekology
      Originally Posted by K1 View Post

      Pay Pal usually sides with the buyer and chances are you will get a refund.

      However like Paul Myers mentioned this could be against the TOS of adcenter.
      I have noticed a couple of things in this regard -

      Paypal will 100% side with the buyer if -

      1. The buyer paid money through credit card linked to his PayPal account ( and not from the PayPal balance)
      2. and the goods being sold is digital in nature.

      OP - Try to be careful with PayPal over such transactions as Paul has noted this should be against their TOS. PayPal is quick to limit/ban accounts in such cases.

      All the best!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5648201].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
        There is no buyer protection on digital products. Read the TOS



        Originally Posted by geekology View Post

        I have noticed a couple of things in this regard -

        Paypal will 100% side with the buyer if -

        1. The buyer paid money through credit card linked to his PayPal account ( and not from the PayPal balance)
        2. and the goods being sold is digital in nature.

        OP - Try to be careful with PayPal over such transactions as Paul has noted this should be against their TOS. PayPal is quick to limit/ban accounts in such cases.

        All the best!
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5793644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anton Nadilo
    Hi shaunD,

    I made a claim with PayPal recently for a product I purchased that was never delivered. Result...PayPal declined my claim and sided with the seller. This is just my experience and as with Jackson Soo's, there seems to be no cohesive or clear decision making tree to their refund protocols. I would chalk it up to experience and move on...it could comsume a bucket load of time and energy to get a few bucks back....your time is more valuable

    cheers
    Anton
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5648173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Green Diamond
    You can win this dispute,

    If you have any email from that guy, get an screen shot and upload them . finally link them n your dispute details.

    come out with the full details of your account which is not working.

    try to write your dispute complete & well in order to win it

    From what I just read you can do it 90%.

    Pm me if you need help on that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5648182].message }}
  • paypal can be tough when things go wrong. Never ever become a dropshipper,lol. Paypal is really strict about that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5648213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author freeabs
    My first ever purchase on a digital product that does not deliver as claimed was denied a refund from Paypal wth no reason given although i provided proof etc... yet i have read thru WF about perfectly legitimate sellers being shut down by PAYPAL without any reason. So whats the baseline here?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5791329].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author specialized
      Originally Posted by freeabs View Post

      My first ever purchase on a digital product that does not deliver as claimed was denied a refund from Paypal wth no reason given although i provided proof etc... yet i have read thru WF about perfectly legitimate sellers being shut down by PAYPAL without any reason. So whats the baseline here?
      I'd say the baseline is that PayPal is like an irrational alcoholic father who beats you for no other reason than he felt like it at the time. Pretty hard to reason with someone/something that does not use reason.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5793361].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
        Have you ever noticed the people who use r2d23456 as their forum name talk trash about pay pal .. or any other site but those of us who use their real name says very little lol.


        Originally Posted by specialized View Post

        I'd say the baseline is that PayPal is like an irrational alcoholic father who beats you for no other reason than he felt like it at the time. Pretty hard to reason with someone/something that does not use reason.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5793657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cataclysm1987
    Regardless of whether it's against the TOS of adcenter, the TOS of paypal matters a lot more under these circumstances.

    Take for example the selling of a certain website without the proper licenses. Happens all the time. Is Paypal necessarily going to settle the dispute based on that and side with one side or another?

    Probably not. They are probably going to go with their own TOS over the TOS of another website.
    Signature

    No signature here today!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5793686].message }}

Trending Topics