I'm hurting RentACoder's servers

by Alan Petersen 25 replies
I'm so annoyed. I have a project on RentACoder. It's been a pain (outsourcing is easy my ass). Finally all done. Trying to login to close it out and release payment from escrow so the coder can get paid and I get this message from RentACoder's site:

Ouch, you are hurting our servers!

You were hitting the site from your IP Address of snip at a rate faster than comprehensible by a human at 74 hits per minute for 19 minutes. If allowed to continue, it would cause our servers to crash and be unavailable to other users. Please slow it down!

Some causes of this problem are:

1) Using a download accelerator program (such as Download Accelerator) or automated retrieval program (such as 'Get Right'). These programs may speed up access to small sites, but on large sites like this one, with so many people trying to use them, they cause server outages.
2) Turning off caching in your browser (which causes it reload every image on every page...taxing the servers)
3) Plain old browsing too quickly...

If this is your first warning...this page will disappear in 24 hours. Users who continue to violate this rule will be permanently banned from the site. Thanks for your cooperation in keeping the site available for everyone.

User info: id# snip on 8/21/2008 3:18:58 PM
I can get into their feedback form, nothing. Totally blocked. I don't run an accelerator or anything like that. So I dig out an email that has a phone number so I call. She blamed FireFox. Something about they re-cache and that I should contact Mozilla. Are you kidding me? This is the first time I've seen a message like this ever.

She finally released my IP address so I can get this done with but now I'm getting again.

Next time I'll use elance or odesk. Odesk looks pretty good.

If anyone has an idea how I can setup my firefox browser so it doesn't do that -RentACoder support didn't know--I would appreciate it. Looks like I have to shut off caching...is that a problem for other things? Thanks.
#main internet marketing discussion forum #hurting #rentacoder #servers
  • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
    Hi Alan

    Why don't you just use IE when logging onto rentacoder (or am I being a bit obvious and missing something)

    Kim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46024].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
      I did try that plus from my laptop (mac) and the desktop (pc) but they got my IP address blocked. I'll just have to call (long distance) so I can close down the project and have escrowed payment released to the coder. I hope he doesn't think I'm trying to skip town without paying. All communication has been via RAC so I don't have his email.

      Thanks for helping out.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46054].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Alan Petersen View Post

        I did try that plus from my laptop (mac) and the desktop (pc) but they got my IP address blocked. I'll just have to call (long distance) so I can close down the project and have escrowed payment released to the coder. I hope he doesn't think I'm trying to skip town without paying. All communication has been via RAC so I don't have his email.

        Thanks for helping out.
        You may know this , but thought I would offer it up, If you don't have a fixed IP, you could always just renew your IP.

        Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.
        Click Run... on this menu.
        Type 'cmd' (without the quotes) in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.
        Type 'ipconfig /release' to let go of the address.
        Type 'ipconfig /renew' to get a new IP

        All the best..
        SH
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46614].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
          I've used Rentacoder for years, in fact I have three
          live projects running right now. I use Firefox and I
          have no issues with them at all.

          John
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46621].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
            I still can't get in. Thanks for the tip Simon. I didn't know you could do that with your IP address so I'll give that a spin. A lot of BS just so I can have my funds released to this coder. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't care.

            It is is legit. I called RAC when it happened the first time and she blamed Firefox. She said Firefox does this auto caching so every time I visit the RAC site Firefox keeps reloading the site over and over again. She couldn't tell me how to shut this off from Firefox and I can't find it in preferences so who knows.

            I visit a lot of site and I have several projects on RAC before without any issues so I don't know it's going on but I'm annoyed.

            I'll try Simon's tip if not I'll have to call again or wait until 24-hours are up which should be this afternoon.

            I won't be using RAC again. A lot of other places I can try like Odesk. I used elance once before.
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46954].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Raja Sekharan
              Josh,

              Do you have a plugin named 'Faster Fox' (or any other plugin that speeds up your browser) installed in Firefox? The plugin could increase server load and cause you to get banned. It could happen in other websites too such as ezinearticles.com. Better remove it if you have it installed.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47001].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Andy Fletcher
          Originally Posted by SimonHarrison View Post

          You may know this , but thought I would offer it up, If you don't have a fixed IP, you could always just renew your IP.

          Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.
          Click Run... on this menu.
          Type 'cmd' (without the quotes) in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.
          Type 'ipconfig /release' to let go of the address.
          Type 'ipconfig /renew' to get a new IP

          All the best..
          SH
          This won't work unfortunately. This is renewing your IP address on your internal network. It won't change your external IP address.

          Depending on how your ISP is setup you can try resetting your modem/router and that may give you a new external IP address.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47552].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Wilson
            Whatever they are saying it seems like a load of poo...

            I've been using RAC and Firefox exclusively for years, I'm on their site now...using Firefox. No problems.

            Besides, saying thier site does not work well with Firefox borders on the ridiculous :-). I mean I can throw together a site in Frontpage and it works with Firefox so their excuse it pretty lame.

            As others have suggested have your tried using IE just to see if you could logon?

            Also, have you run your virus or spyware program to see if you have anything on your PC. Seems strange there would be a virus just targeted towards RAC but I've heard of stranger things.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47911].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
              Originally Posted by Jeremy Wilson View Post

              Whatever they are saying it seems like a load of poo...

              I've been using RAC and Firefox exclusively for years, I'm on their site now...using Firefox. No problems.

              Besides, saying thier site does not work well with Firefox borders on the ridiculous :-). I mean I can throw together a site in Frontpage and it works with Firefox so their excuse it pretty lame.

              As others have suggested have your tried using IE just to see if you could logon?

              Also, have you run your virus or spyware program to see if you have anything on your PC. Seems strange there would be a virus just targeted towards RAC but I've heard of stranger things.
              My IP has been blocked. I've tried from my mac and I fired up my old PC and still nada. I called customer service and left messg plus sent email (they had their support email on their vm) but I haven't heard back.

              If it's not solved by Monday I'll do a chargeback on RAC and I'll pay the coder myself. I did find his email. Whenever a message is sent via RAC they send a copy via email so in one of his messages he had his gmail address. So I sent him an email. So I feel better now that I was able to assure him he will get paid one way or another.

              I already have the deliverable files so I think that is why he was ansy. Don't blame him.
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47974].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Andy Fletcher
                If you use a proxy service then the IP that RentACoder sees will change so you can probably login that way.

                Hope that helps.

                Andy


                Originally Posted by Alan Petersen View Post

                My IP has been blocked. I've tried from my mac and I fired up my old PC and still nada. I called customer service and left messg plus sent email (they had their support email on their vm) but I haven't heard back.

                If it's not solved by Monday I'll do a chargeback on RAC and I'll pay the coder myself. I did find his email. Whenever a message is sent via RAC they send a copy via email so in one of his messages he had his gmail address. So I sent him an email. So I feel better now that I was able to assure him he will get paid one way or another.

                I already have the deliverable files so I think that is why he was ansy. Don't blame him.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[48108].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Jelasco
                  It's pretty lame to tell you it's your fault since you use Firefox.

                  If their site can't handle a popular browser like Firefox, they should get someone to fix it.

                  They could post a job on elance.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[48203].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dbh
      Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

      Hi Alan

      Why don't you just use IE when logging onto rentacoder (or am I being a bit obvious and missing something)

      Kim
      Exactly what I was going to suggest but I pay Kim to do these things for me

      - Darrell
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46064].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jose Delgado
        Ouch, you are hurting our servers!

        You were hitting the site from your IP Address of snip at a rate faster than comprehensible by a human at 74 hits per minute for 19 minutes. If allowed to continue, it would cause our servers to crash and be unavailable to other users. Please slow it down!

        Some causes of this problem are:

        1) Using a download accelerator program (such as Download Accelerator) or automated retrieval program (such as 'Get Right'). These programs may speed up access to small sites, but on large sites like this one, with so many people trying to use them, they cause server outages.
        2) Turning off caching in your browser (which causes it reload every image on every page...taxing the servers)
        3) Plain old browsing too quickly...

        If this is your first warning...this page will disappear in 24 hours. Users who continue to violate this rule will be permanently banned from the site. Thanks for your cooperation in keeping the site available for everyone.

        User info: id# snip on 8/21/2008 3:18:58 PM
        That is the dumbest thing I've heard and stupid on RAC's part.

        I hope you get this issue over with asap.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46074].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author milan
          I've used Rentacoder with Firefox for years and I never have this problem. The only problem I ocassionaly have with this combination is the browser not redirecting after log in.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46600].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author David Neale
            Are you sure this is legit? I have had several very strange results from their site in the last 48 hours, results that look like they may have fallen victim to some type of hacking.

            I think something happened recently. I'm in the middle of a job working with 4 people completing a small project for me (I awarded it to four bidders). About an hour ago I got an email from them saying they were cancelling the project because I had not chosen a bidder!!!

            Sheeesh I chose 4.. what else do they want?
            Signature

            David Neale

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46610].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Wendy Hearn
              Originally Posted by David Neale View Post

              Are you sure this is legit? I have had several very strange results from their site in the last 48 hours, results that look like they may have fallen victim to some type of hacking.

              I think something happened recently. I'm in the middle of a job working with 4 people completing a small project for me (I awarded it to four bidders). About an hour ago I got an email from them saying they were cancelling the project because I had not chosen a bidder!!!

              Sheeesh I chose 4.. what else do they want?
              Hi David,

              The first time I chose multiple bidders this happened to me and I was concerned about it showing as a cancelled project. So I phoned them and was told that it doesn't count as a cancelled bid in their statistics.

              Just their odd way of working.

              Wendy
              Signature

              Wendy Hearn - Business Coaching

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46617].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author David Neale
                Thanks Wendy,

                Yes that is probably it, I have never selected multiple bidders in the past, it appears their system does not really handle this correctly.

                To avoid problems with RAC I went and reopened the bidding while waiting for their support to get back to me.

                Now I have a new round of bidders that I have no need for

                Originally Posted by Wendy Hearn View Post

                Hi David,

                The first time I chose multiple bidders this happened to me and I was concerned about it showing as a cancelled project. So I phoned them and was told that it doesn't count as a cancelled bid in their statistics.

                Just their odd way of working.

                Wendy
                Signature

                David Neale

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47981].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
        Originally Posted by dbh View Post

        Exactly what I was going to suggest but I pay Kim to do these things for me

        - Darrell
        I aim to please lol

        I've used rentacoder for years and never had any problems so I'll keep my fingers crossed

        Kim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim Franklin
    Wow, sounds like Rent a coder BS, I never really liked the service there but now that I know they spin tales from thin air, I certainly won't recommend it to my clients.

    Of course, this is not a browser issue but rather a throttle issue on the rent a coder web server, so it was not from your end at all.

    You have to laugh when people blame their problems on other's

    thanks for the info
    Signature
    Software Development | Applications | OSX | iOS | Android | Cloud Software Engineering |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    Originally Posted by Alan Petersen View Post

    I'm so annoyed. I have a project on RentACoder. It's been a pain (outsourcing is easy my ass). Finally all done. Trying to login to close it out and release payment from escrow so the coder can get paid and I get this message from RentACoder's site:



    I can get into their feedback form, nothing. Totally blocked. I don't run an accelerator or anything like that. So I dig out an email that has a phone number so I call. She blamed FireFox. Something about they re-cache and that I should contact Mozilla. Are you kidding me? This is the first time I've seen a message like this ever.

    She finally released my IP address so I can get this done with but now I'm getting again.

    Next time I'll use elance or odesk. Odesk looks pretty good.

    If anyone has an idea how I can setup my firefox browser so it doesn't do that -RentACoder support didn't know--I would appreciate it. Looks like I have to shut off caching...is that a problem for other things? Thanks.

    Maybe they should have fewer graphics on their site. An uncached browser with high bandwidth on a site with 80 graphics/files can EASILY do 80 hits a second with just a normal user going to one page. If you navigate to 20 pages, in 20 minutes.... That is 1600 hits! NOW, if the browser is CACHED, and there are only subtle text changes to each page, that number drops to 99 hits!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47421].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author braver55b
    That is unreal, how could that possibly happen unless you had some program you didn't know about that is bombarding their site, which I doubt, it sounds like its something on their end and they're putting their server problems on you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[48636].message }}

Trending Topics