Am I To Young for Internet Marketing?!

78 replies
Hello everyone, just wondering your thoughts about young people in the internet marketing game. Would people really be up to listen to listen to a young person rather than a older individual?
I would love to here your views about this.

Best regards, Mikal Laster
#internet #marketing #young
  • Profile picture of the author HarrieB
    I know of a guy who started at 16 years of age in Internet Marketing and learnt a few things about Social media from me. Nowadays, he coaches me on the latest trends on social media over drinks.... Its never bad to start too young!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mikal Laster
    Originally Posted by Ron Hitson View Post

    Sure people would listen, if you have a proven, verifiable record of success.

    Also, it makes no difference as to what your age, race, gender is. You can be the oldest and most successful person in business and that doesn't mean people will listen. People are very "strange" in what they do.

    If you desire to have a career in IM, get started.
    Thanks for your views

    Best regards, Mikal Laster
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670204].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      There are some amazing young marketers - but there are many young dreamers who will cut any corner to make a few bucks. In business, if you break the rules you don't always get a second chance to do things right.

      Suggest you aim for the first category

      The challenges you have mainly involve services you might need to use. I've noticed many seem to think it's fine to lie about age when signing up for paypal or other online service that has an age requirement. If your parents back your IM efforts, you can get around this.

      Though it's temping to lie to get the service you want - if you plan to do IM long term it's better to protect your reputation from the start by being honest. Don't do anything now that will harm your profits (or get you banned from valuable sites/services) later.

      Go for it.

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      I'm going to work on being less condescending
      (Condescending means to talk down to people)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670286].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Hocking
      I dont think you can be too young to get started.

      It is like saving money, the early you start, the more you can have in the end.

      You just need to find something you are passionate about and learn all you can. You wll quickly know more about it then 90% of the people around you. You will be considered an expert and you will be respected for it regardless of your age.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5700944].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GotMillions
      I think it's a good idea to start doing business as of a very young age, you'll learn a lot and have a good set of skills when your older. Wish I had done it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702477].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bluestarace
      I don't think age matters. What matters is that you stick with it, till you see success. Don't give up.

      Starting young is an advantage. It gives you more time to learn

      Goodluck
      Signature

      Email me with your content writing needs at awriter4@gmail.comDescramble this word " LPIEKC" and use it as your subject line to earn a 10% discount on your order with me

      Whatever you do, do it well. Do it so well that when people see you do it, they will want to come back and see you do it again and they will want to bring others and show them how well you do what you do.~ Walt Disney.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5704132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Barnett
    I don't know how old you are, but the fact you are old enough to access this forum and operate a computer suggests you're old enough. There are plenty of cases of entrepreneurs starting in their teens. I made my first money as an entrepreneur while still at school before getting all distracted and getting a job.

    Go for it. If you think you can do it and are determined, you will succeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670225].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Heck most of you youngins know way, way more about computers than us oldies. So you are definitely not too young

      Get it going right now and put things into action. Whatever you so sow now will produce a rich harvest overtime if done correctly !!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JasonGrimes
    Age is just a number, I don't know how old you are but there are many teenagers that start a career in IM.

    All the best,
    Jason
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670252].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rough Outline
    Some people will look down on advice from someone very young, doesn't make it right, but it does happen.

    However if you constantly give out valuable info then you'll gain respect and recognition, no matter how old you are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670324].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Samrath Gupta
    Hey Mike,

    If you are starting too young then you should be proud of yourself that you started doing that thing which took others YEARS to find and start!

    If you start at a young age then you will surely go TOOO FAR

    My wishes are with you

    PS: I've too started this at a very young AGE!

    PPS: Mark Zuckerberg, and Lots of people are very young and do i need to tell you how much money they have ?

    Regards
    ~Sam~
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Channing
    Banned
    Some young guys have some great, fresh ideas and they take the work seriously. So as long as you present yourself as a professional, sincere guy (or girl), you can make it as well as anyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BurtL
    It's really not about age. It's about how much you know.
    Signature

    Aphasia: Loss of Language NOT Intelligence.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheZafraGroup
    Of course! Young people are actually very enticing. People love hearing success stories from people who have achieved success at a young age. I'm only 20 years old started online marketing when I was 17. Age definitely attracts people. You're never too young. If you think you are, then you are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author megawarrior
    I don't know how old you are, but I don't think being young is an issue in IM. I made my first money selling domain names over 6 years ago when I was 16. I'm sure there are many others too.

    Regarding whether people would listen to a younger vs older individual - well there's no need to advertise your age to potential customers, so it won't be much of an issue. Also, if you provide a product/service of value, I wouldn't really bother about your age.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author plambs
    How old are you? As long as you are old enough to cash the checks you won't have any trouble.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670711].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMBotz
      Younger the better! You get to enjoy success and life while you are still young. Doesn't mean you cant do that at older age. Its more fun when you are young , less responsibilities.

      One tip I'd like to give you. Once you are successful and making serious money dont let that go to your head. Dont spend it all away. Start saving early, diversify and make use of the power compounding. The younger you are, the MORE its going to make you in the long run.

      Good luck!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edlund88
    I would agree with most people in this post, that it doesn't matter how young or how old you are, if you deliver quality content people will listen to you. And you dont have to tell people your age either if you dont want to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670730].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IJR112
    Age means nothing. As long as it's clear you know what you are talking about, nothing like age, race, gender, etc. should matter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670731].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Mikal Laster View Post

    Hello everyone, just wondering your thoughts about young people in the internet marketing game. Would people really be up to listen to listen to a young person rather than a older individual?
    I would love to here your views about this.

    Best regards, Mikal Laster
    You don't mention how old you are?
    I'd say that age has nothing to do with it.
    If you're 14 and you were genuinely making $100k a month from internet marketing, I'd listen up when you spoke!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    I think there are some niches such as video games, manga, or popular music where your age can be an advantage.

    As a middle-aged woman I could try to convince you I'm a whiz at WOW but you probably wouldn't believe me. (and you'd be right. I die quickly)

    But then you also don't have to tell your age if it's a field where it would be a disadvantage.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    The youngest IMer I have heard of is 13 so I think if you have sense enough to ask this question I'm sure you have something and btw people never ask for your driver's license when they purchase from a site but to be on the safe side involve an adult or your parents so that you don't land up in some legal stuff when it comes to taxes and all.
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5671820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Josh880
      What I have learned so far in life is that no matter how old you are and no matter how you look, If you have something valuable to teach people someone will ALWAYS listen.

      The people who don't aren't your target market and who cares???

      I've noticed that some of the fastest growing marketers are young ones.

      So to answer you question NO you're not to young.

      Add value and the people will flock to you and your knowledge.

      Good Luck,
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5671950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gloria Townsend
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5671963].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author arny660
      Mikal

      I don't know what age you are but I can tell you one thing, you not too young!

      Mark Zuckerberg didn't ever doubt he was too young, and he has done ok!

      The fact that you joined this forum would suggest that you have the right attitude to succeed.

      Get stuck in, Mikal, learn as you go along, but remember the most important thing is to always keep taking action.

      Take action, adjust, take more action and adjust some more, and so on......and you will definitely succeed. Don't give up, just keep taking action.

      Good Luck,

      Arny
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5672012].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Global Warrior
        Hi

        I didn't read all the posts in this thread so if this has already been said, I apologise.

        My feeling is, if you understand a little bit about sales, you re the best person to sell to your demographic...... People of your age. If you can harness that magic...... Listen out foe kerching because you'll hear it a lot.

        Good luck

        GW
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5672287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AdenWhite
    Age don't matter in the IM game.

    In fact, I get very annoyed when I see some 17 year old pull in 6 figures a year, when all I was doing at that age was wasting time and messing about.

    So yes, even if you're young -- if you've made money and can prove it, people will listen to you. I would listen to you. People want results -- they generally don't care how it is delivered.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5671972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AC21DJ
    I now understand your other thread and your reply to my statement about children a little better now.

    Age has nothing to do with what you are capable of as a marketer. I think that it is great that you are trying something at a young age. Most of us had to work a bunch of crappy jobs and be "laid off" before we got the guts to try. Good luck and don't let anyone discourage you from chasing after your entrepreneurial spirit.

    Aaron
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5672482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan Joseph
    Hi Mikal,

    Here are my suggestions:

    1. Be as WELL VERSED in your niche as possible. It's important that you have studied, and can confidently apply what you have learned to help others.

    2. You can hire or partner with someone to 'be the face' of you're product if your nervous about being "too young".

    3. Quality first. Make sure what you're providing is of the BEST possible information you can be sharing. It needs to be shown step-by-step, clear, ethical, organized, and simple to follow, as possible. (Think about when you were first starting out).

    Hope that helps!
    Signature

    Jon

    "Success comes when people act together; failure tends to happen alone." -- Deepak Chopra

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5673134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author World Marketing
    The younger one starts the better off he or she is in building a long term successful business online. As long as the person know what they are talking about age doesn't matter.
    Signature

    I make $5,000+ a month online [CLICK HERE] to see how you can do the same starting today!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5673154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author digichik
    Life lesson -- Learn to use what ever you have as an asset, not a liability. Your age only matters if you think it matters.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5673604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sunray
    People listen to persons who have personal experience on how to solve their problems. A young person can never give advice on how to overcome midlife crisis or quit smoking. But you surely can give advice on what you have done successfully. Some computer tips, how to win an online game and so on. And more often than not, you audience is usually also quite young--doing the same things.
    Signature

    Use these laws and make the Law of Attraction work
    QuantumMindSuccess Learn how to live a happy, healthy and abundant life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5673762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nick Lawless
    Hi Mikal,

    It does not matter how young or old you are in Internet Marketing. As long as you have proven yourself in this industry, I am sure that people will listen to you no matter how old you are. I remember that I came across an authority site (I just forgot what the site was and the name of the Internet marketer) and honestly, he was just below 20 but a lot of people listen to him. So I guess that says it all.

    Just have confidence. If people see that you are hesitant about what you are saying, it will be difficult to build rapport and trust! Everyone at any stage will have some barrier that they think means they can't achieve their goals. We all need to realize that we are the only ones stopping ourselves from acheiving success. Don't use age as an excuse to not pursue your dreams. If you really want to achieve something, you will really look for ways to fulfill it. However, if one is not that spirited,one will always find excuses. No more excuses! Get started!

    Best,
    Nick
    Signature
    Just starting online and need a website? Let me build one for you - FREE


    Click Here to claim a FREE customized website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ijohnson
    Mikal,

    Whatever your age, start today! Internet marketing spreads far and wide so there are so many different areas of IM within which you can find your niche where your age will never become a factor.

    However, if you plan to become an offline marketer, you may encounter some issues where your age may be a factor. The decision maker may not trust your judgment until they get to know, like and trust you first.

    Gain as much knowledge and experience as you possibly can. Seek out a mentor or coach. Prepare a plan or road map. TAKE ACTION!

    Iris
    Signature
    Make every day count!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marcelomusza
    I think this is a perfect business to start when you are young. But you must focus on important things, financial and educational things that sometimes, and I MEAN sometimes, are hard to understand by teenagers. Maturity sooner or later is needed to boost your mindset and walk straight to the path of success.

    But as a teenager, with no real obligations other than school, the time you can invest is considerably more than adults that already have a full-time job and are working hard to make a living in this part of the world, so I would encourage everyone to give it a try.
    Signature
    Internet Marketing Resources for Online Entrepreneurs
    http://www.marceblog.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674561].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mikal Laster
    Thanks a Million Everyone! Thank you all for the advice to Keep going and Dive into this Ocean with nothing but success on my Mind and the will to work very hard!

    I wish the World to All of you,
    Thanks again for all being very motivational!

    Best Regards,

    Mikal Laster
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674752].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheDefiled
      I think as long as you prove yourself effective and successful not a whole ton of people will have a problem with you. Maybe coaching isn't what is best right now but something that you learn and master so that when you gain more experience in it then coach. Starting from a younger age will prove more effective in securing your future I believe.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author supershoesclub
    Of course, if you have rich experice on internet marketing game feild and guide people with the reliable methods,I think you will gain the people's trust.so don't worry ,young man,if you feel you are okay, and you are better than the old ones, just do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oliver Williams
    No such thing as too young or too old!
    Signature
    Don't believe everything you think
    \\\===========================///
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674841].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    Originally Posted by Mikal Laster View Post

    Hello everyone, just wondering your thoughts about young people in the internet marketing game. Would people really be up to listen to listen to a young person rather than a older individual?
    I would love to here your views about this.

    Best regards, Mikal Laster
    Just recently you posted a thread on how easy you thought it was to make $1000.

    People listened, but you had a lot of critique since you didn't speak from experience by your own admittance.

    Once you gain experience, you can then go onto instruct. When people have experience, people listen.

    Experience is the keyword. Age is irrelevant.

    There is a difference however from being an Internet Marketer and an IM Mentor....


    Daniel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674881].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rankontop
    I just set my niece up, (shes 14)
    She wanted to learn local marketing.

    She learned in one day how to:
    optimize a web page(seo)
    Make a video from images
    create a free website on wix
    she signed up for all of the above & even created her own fiver account & created her first gig and made $5.00 her first day.

    your Never to young to learn and have fun and make money.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimboJim
    Unless you go around screaming, "I'm a 12 year old Internet Marketer!" on your websites, no one will ever know. So, are you too young? Well, I don't know your age (see how that works?) but it doesn't matter.

    However, you do have to be 18 to sign up for most marketing ventures, so maybe you are too young for some aspects of IM.
    Signature
    Ready for some great content at a low cost?
    PresentPLR Newest Pack: LED Grow Lights
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674922].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      A few hours ago I was sent a PM from a guy in his twenties (a father and War Room Member no less!) who contacted me randomly with a long winded, spammy proposal.

      Upon refusing his offer with a simple "NO." he replied with the following amongst his petty threats. I quote:


      "Nice name Daniel. You have a girls name".


      The moral of the story is this:

      No matter how old you are, you are how you act.




      Daniel
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5674997].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TheDefiled
        Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

        A few hours ago I was sent a PM from a guy in his twenties (a father and War Room Member no less!) who contacted me randomly with a long winded, spammy proposal.

        Upon refusing his offer with a simple "NO." he replied with the following amongst his petty threats. I quote:


        "Nice name Daniel. You have a girls name".


        The moral of the story is this:

        No matter how old you are, you are how you act.




        Daniel
        I believe if your name was Danielle then it would be a girls name, I guess intelligence isn't part of the equation in his thinking.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5675008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wiseme11
    Age is just a number, It's all about you an yourself of how much knowledge and experienced you have to be in the business. Internet marketing is for everyone who is interested and wanted to make the miracle income from home. You must speak the right thing so that people will listen to you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5675042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Nobody knows how old you are unless you tell them. If you ever find that you aren't relating to the older crowds - just market to younger people. Age shouldn't be that much of a problem in a lot of areas, although lack of experience might be a snag here and there......and there's only one way to get that. Damned the torpedoes.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5675154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JieLim
    Haha being young is your ADVANTAGE! You have so much more time to try things out!

    you will have less commitments like work, looking after kids etc. You're in a great position to be successful!

    Jie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5675370].message }}
  • Am I To Young for Internet Marketing?!
    I dont mean to be mean or anything, but if you ask such question then yes, you probably are...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5675628].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prian
    Nah, there is no "Too young" when you are start something..
    There is a warrior member who already post a WSO even though he just 14..

    Being young is your advantage!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5675735].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author curly sue
      you know this whole venture of making money online is for the younger generation. All the how to videos on youtube are done by teenagers. so go on an shine.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5676539].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I don't think you're too young. The fact that you ponder about this matter makes me think you're looking for a reason to not to be successful with internet marketing. But my advice is to jump in (head first), and learn as you lose. Eventually you will find a few core strategies that will make you the most money.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5675752].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deanionaire
    People will definitely listen to you regardless of your age. Knowledge is power and if you know what you are doing and talking about then even people 2 or 3 times your age will listen intently to every word you say. The trick is to prove that you really know your stuff and standing out from the rest of the crowd or from the "scammers"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5676472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PeterBruce
    You will find that it's always best to keep your age hidden, until you have a reputable profile built up.
    Signature
    THE CHEAPEST TWITTER FOLLOWERS | FACEBOOK FANS | YOUTUBE VIEWS | GOOGLE PLUS ONES


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5676510].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ralf Skirr
    Usually age shouldn't play a big role. There are a few topics however, where being young won't help to gain credibility.

    - a 14 year old selling a program on leadership skills, for example, would face some serious questions about his expertise.
    - a 12 year old giving relationship advice and marriage counselling...same thing.

    Keep in mind, though, that in some niches people do not market themselves, but they use pen names and fake identities instead. This is ok if you sell minor stuff in many niches.

    If you want to build your own no-fake self as authority in a certain niche, then your main effort should be to know your stuff well and to deliver results.

    In that case young age can be an advantage, as people are frequently impressed by young, successful entrepreneurs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5676527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
    Originally Posted by Mikal Laster View Post

    Hello everyone, just wondering your thoughts about young people in the internet marketing game. Would people really be up to listen to listen to a young person rather than a older individual?
    I would love to here your views about this.

    Best regards, Mikal Laster
    I was watching Shark Tank this past week, and some girl started a business when she was about 10 years old I believe?

    Age does not matter from a business standpoint, but I will say she was partnered up with her mom to take care of a lot of things. The idea for the business and the product however were solely inspired by the little girl.

    Their business was already over the million dollar mark as well.

    It is likely you won't be able to do this alone - so I'd suggest you find someone older who knows what they are doing to give you some advice and feedback. If you are under a certain age you will be prohibited from certain things anyway and will need an adults help.
    Signature

    "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5676532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mediadeveloped
    To young? Not at all...if you want to pursue IM than do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5676536].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spearce000
    I've always maintained that if you're good enough, you're old enough. After all, Mozart composed his first complete symphony (Symphony No. 1 in E Flat) when he was just 8 years old. Paul McCartney wrote an early version of When I'm 64 when he was 15. They both sound pretty good to me, and I'm sure it's much more difficult to compose a symphony or write a hit song than it is to do anything in IM.

    As others have suggested, just don't tell anyone your age - it's not important.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5677265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEOLee
    I am 21 now and have been living in Thailand since I was 18 and am married and have a 8 month old daughter. People say that is too young for all that, I disagree.

    Ten years ago when I was 11 I made about £5k in a week on Ebay, but paypal limited my account and I didnt know what to do (as I was 11 and I lied on my age on paypal) Then I turned to games thinking it was all over. I wish I carried on this whole time as I would be a billionaire.

    The s#### thing is now I realise after 6 months paypal release the money but I can't remember the email I used but nevermind.

    Doesn't matter what age you are just get on with it, don't ask stupid questions.
    Oh also... don't lie about your age on your paypal use your parents names! Damn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5677315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamus McKenna
    Originally Posted by Mikal Laster View Post

    Hello everyone, just wondering your thoughts about young people in the internet marketing game. Would people really be up to listen to listen to a young person rather than a older individual?
    I would love to here your views about this.

    Best regards, Mikal Laster
    Mikal,

    If you have "DONE IT" it doesn't matter your age.

    However as always it depends what you are teaching..Life coaching / Life skils...Not a hope! :p New Technology....For sure!

    It's all about how you position yourself to your customers.

    Cheers,

    Jamus
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5700972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Mikal Laster View Post

    Would people really be up to listen to listen to a young person rather than a older individual?
    I have three comments to offer you, Mikal (all personal opinion/experience only, of course) ...

    (i) It depends what you're saying, when you want people to listen. If you're trying to teach them how to do internet marketing or how to make money online, then no: many won't be willing to listen, because they'll equate age with experience-level. For this and several other reasons, you might want to stay well away from the IM/MMO markets;

    (ii) In threads like this, what usually happens (in my opinion) is that quite a lot of the people who actually think that "age doesn't matter at all" post and give their opinions, while many of the people who think that age does matter tend to remain silent and don't post (maybe because they don't want anyone to think them prejudiced?) - and the result of that is that the collection of replies you get on this subject doesn't really represent the true distribution of opinions at all;

    (iii) People reading what you're saying know your age only if you choose to tell them. I was 19 when I started off what has now become my internet marketing career. I used a pen-name in every niche and no photos from which my age would be apparent, and kept quiet about it. Nobody was any the wiser. I'm now 22 and look about 18/19 and I still do that in my business (just not here).

    Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5701029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nickdamodda
    Honestly, no. Act older and speak like you're older. I'm 15 and the people I work with now, defiantly wouldn't be if they knew my age.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5701546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ttdub
    Age may have an impact on what one might think, as experience becomes an issue, but just don't tell people your age.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5701635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ezmystic
    Its great young people want to do Internet marketing as its hard to get a job at younger ages, and it will teach young people how to run their own business instead of getting a job. More young people with new ideas and looking to work for themselves is much better than learning to go out to get a job. In fact I think everyone in school should have to try and start a business of some kind. Go for it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5701710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
    Who says you have to share your age? If you have a great product that you'd like to share with the community, run under a pen name and sell it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5701731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eric Canlas
    I wish I could've started younger. Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702258].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Ogbin
    No matter how age you have when you want to start IM. I agree with others telling you that the youth is your advantage because you will discover much more things and acting them.

    I see that you want to be successful.

    Be sure that when you have the fired desire nothing can stop you from achieving what you want to be.

    Good Luck.
    Signature
    Speedy Up - Jumping game that change your mood and put smile in your face :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kasher9
    I started when I was 13, do you want to know what I started with? Being an affiliate for hosting companies, and making $2/sale. I'm not gonna claim I make billions now but what I will say is, the younger you start in IM, the quicker you learn because you have more spare time and lets be honest, we all sit on the PC at that age way too long so what better way to spend your time than to earn money eh? I'd say get started as soon as possible, that way you reduce your learning curve before you join the world of Uni and a stable job
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702515].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702521].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dilynn3
    Absolutely not! Just be sure you stay on the ethical path. Your college career can be funded by this. I always wonder why there aren't more young people involved in this business. Stay motivated!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andy B
    I'm 17 and have been in and out of Internet Marketing for the past year but a couple of months a go I decided to give it a real shot and it's gone great!

    Age really doesn't matter. Without going into figures - I earn a nice amount, however as many have said it depends what you're selling and who to.

    I've had clients who are amazed by my age and my work and have even tipped me! On the flip side I've had a few people decide that because of my age I obviously know nothing , which couldn't be farther from the truth... but ah well, You win some you lose some!

    I always try to be open about my age with anyone I work with to stop any unexpected surprises later down the line however I could see an advantage of just keeping my mouth shut and never saying.

    RE the person who mentioned less commitments... Currently I'm in exam mode so I have a LOT of school commitments, although yes, I don't have the pressure of bills and rent etc...

    It's all give and take, but in response to the OP's original question... No, you can never be too young for internet marketing as long as you are willing to learn and take action.

    I would probably start off doing 'behind the scene' work such as building sites for yourself rather then selling info-products as you'll most likely lack experience which is a key point when people decide whether to buy from you.

    Also - Make sure you check terms and conditions when singing up to things - Some people are very strict with age limits,

    And good luck!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vivi62
    definately not too young,just think how much longer you have to enjoy your success.
    regards
    vivi62
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MattCatania
    Age does not equal experience - but there are people out there that lend their thought-process to this idea.

    Experience (in your given niche) is all that *really* matters. You can develop trust through repeatedly demonstrating knowledge and providing value to all readers/customers/subscribers etc.

    As you must know, you don't have to display your age or even a photo of yourself if you feel that it will negatively affect your business. That choice is solely up to your discretion.
    Signature

    Logic outweighs all.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5703968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
    Banned
    I started my first successful computer company when I was 13.
    I'd have to get my mom to drive me to meetings and job sites because I was too young to drive lol.

    I'd show up with a suit, a briefcase (It was empty. I had nothing to put in it. But I saw on tv that successful people carried a briefcase, so I thought I'd do it too lol)

    And I probably had a pound of gel in my hair to slick it back and try to look like I was in the mafia. lol.

    Did people look at me differently? yes.

    And guess what? that worked to my advantage... Because they remembered me. I stood out.

    And if you just start believing in yourself.. they'll remember you too.

    You've got a HUGE opportunity being a young kid in a business. you are going to stand out from everyone else.. and for that reason ALONE.. people will take you seriously.

    Why was Tiger Woods so famous and such a big celebrity (before the whole affair scandal lol)
    Because there weren't any other famous golf players that were black. He was a rare breed. So people remembered him.

    Why did Eminem stand out in rap? Because there weren't any good white rappers.

    See what I'm saying? If you just start believing yourself and STOP worrying about what other people think.. they won't have a choice but to respect you.

    One of my most successful coaching students who became one of the #1 super affiliates in the 'Ex back' niche.. was crushing that niche when he was only 15.

    He then created his own product on how to get your ex back / save your relationship..
    you might be saying.. what does he know?! he's only 15. what does he know about marriage or getting a girlfriend back when he's probably never even had one?

    He didn't have to know anything about it.. because he used the money that he made as an affiliate to hire an expert to write it for him.. he slapped his name on it. it became one of the best seller's on clickbank.. in fact it's still pretty high up there on the charts today.. and not many people realize that a young kid is behind it. lol

    So hopefully that helps give you some motivation that there's no reason why you can't do it too.

    Last month I got a testimonial from a girl who was 12 who went through one of my courses and said she made her first sale.. so, if she can do it.. YOU can do it.

    Get out there and go crush it dude.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5705266].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Harvey M
    The younger you start, the earlier you'll be able to spend your riches.
    Signature
    There's no need for a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5705329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anton Nadilo
    Results are what counts. Age is not important.

    Look at all the high profile IM Mentors about and you will see a vast range of ages and backgrounds. People rarely ask them - How old are you?

    However, here is a piece of advice I always give my students - NEVER EVER take advice from someone less successful than you (in whatever niche you are interested in) and NEVER try to give advice to someone more succssful than you.

    The whole fake it to you make BS will ALWAYS come back to haunt you at some point in the future. Honesty and integrity will win through ever time. Tell people what you DONT know and admit you don't have the answers if you don't. BUT...when you do gain a level of prowess or results in a certain field tell everyone about it and work towards becoming the "go2guy" in that chosen niche.

    It is always important to remember that it really depends on who you are targeting as there are ALWAYS people entering the IM niche that no nothing or very little that would benefit from you sharing your knowledge and experience with them. Hope this helps.

    Stay Strong & Prosper

    Cheers

    Anton
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5705458].message }}

Trending Topics